PDA

View Full Version : Kris Meeke 2008

Meeke Fan
31st January 2008, 11:57
As a keen supporter of Kris Meeke, I hadn't heard what Rallying he intends to do this year. His website doesn't make any reference. Anybody know anything?

Bazza2541
31st January 2008, 18:34
Sit in the house waiting for the phone to ring?
Money is tighter in Ireland this year and he didn't do himself a lot of favours last year, did he?

cut the b.s.
1st February 2008, 00:51
and he didn't do himself a lot of favours last year, did he?

Yer arse, 1 low speed off in an unfortunate location and you dismiss all he done?

gravelman
1st February 2008, 12:03
He has a better finishing record than many of his contempraries in WRCs. Very unfortunate spot he went off in alrite, but maybe he should look at coming back through the PWRC or summat, best driver without a works seat without a doubt. If this was 2002, he would be a third driver

AndyRAC
1st February 2008, 13:57
How depressing, a talented driver sat on his backside waiting for a phone call that isn't likely to happen. What's going on with the WRC?? The pity is, he's not the only one. Where are all the sponsors? But what are they gonna get out of it?

Bazza2541
1st February 2008, 20:22
Yer arse, 1 low speed off in an unfortunate location and you dismiss all he done?

I was talking about his attitude, in particular his dealings with Donegal Motor Club.

Perhaps you should learn a little bit about the topic before posting?

As far as his off goes, to finish first, first you have to finish?

cut the b.s.
1st February 2008, 23:15
I was talking about his attitude, in particular his dealings with Donegal Motor Club.

Perhaps you should learn a little bit about the topic before posting?

As far as his off goes, to finish first, first you have to finish?

I'm quite familiar with said topic thanks, I think less said about the Donegal topic the better, I heard the club nearly pulled its self apart over it

Do a bit of research on his off, sure he went off the road, I just told you he was unfortunate where it happened, lots of people had small off and bumps into banks etc in Ireland, had there have been a decent bank rather than a drop where he went off my feeling is that damage and time loss would have been minimal

Bazza2541
2nd February 2008, 14:03
I'm quite familiar with said topic thanks, I think less said about the Donegal topic the better, I heard the club nearly pulled its self apart over it

Do a bit of research on his off, sure he went off the road, I just told you he was unfortunate where it happened, lots of people had small off and bumps into banks etc in Ireland, had there have been a decent bank rather than a drop where he went off my feeling is that damage and time loss would have been minimal

Thats bullsh*t, the club had no bother at all with his wee tantrums. It was MSI that refused him not DMC, who gave him every oppertunity to come up with the licence, but he did annoy quite a few people that had done a lot for him in the past.
You reap what you sow.

As far as Rally Ireland goes, he had one job to do, that was impress the factory teams, and he did not do it.
All your excuses don't change that.

cut the b.s.
2nd February 2008, 15:32
Thats bullsh*t, the club had no bother at all with his wee tantrums. It was MSI that refused him not DMC, who gave him every oppertunity to come up with the licence, but he did annoy quite a few people that had done a lot for him in the past.
You reap what you sow.

You're so wise, but my source is a DMC member....

Bazza2541
2nd February 2008, 21:27
You have to rely on a source?
So all you have is hearsay?

Best give it up old chap, you know not what happened.

cut the b.s.
3rd February 2008, 20:04
You have to rely on a source?
So all you have is hearsay?

Best give it up old chap, you know not what happened.

yawn

Bazza2541
3rd February 2008, 21:04
That the best you got?
You come on here posting hearsay and rumours trying to discredit possibly the best motorclub in the country and then when you get called on the BS you post you come back with a 'yawn'.
You're pathetic

cut the b.s.
3rd February 2008, 22:44
That the best you got?
You come on here posting hearsay and rumours trying to discredit possibly the best motorclub in the country and then when you get called on the BS you post you come back with a 'yawn'.
You're pathetic

You're an angry man, did you ever consider therapy?

Bazza2541
3rd February 2008, 23:21
You're an angry man, did you ever consider therapy?

Not angry, just fed up with know-nothings spreading gossip and running down my favourite pastime.
Anyways back to topic.
Meeke is probablt done, Subaru was his last option and he lost out to Martin on that.
Hee was offered a full PWRC run last year but turned it down.

cut the b.s.
4th February 2008, 11:56
Not angry, just fed up with know-nothings spreading gossip and running down my favourite pastime.
Anyways(can this word be plural?) back to topic.
Meeke is probablt(this word is probaly meant to be 'probaly') done, Subaru was his last option and he lost out to Martin on that.
Hee(He?) was offered a full PWRC run last year but turned it down.

Angry I think, but I'll not argue in case you get cross

What is your favorite pastime?

Are you a DMC member?

Yes, Kris was offered a full PWRC last year, but he was going to have to pay, and where has PWRC led for anyone yet?

Bolton Midnight
4th February 2008, 13:53
So who's the better Wilks or Meeke, I'd say KM is the quicker but doesn't tend to finish, whereas GW was certainly the class of the field in the BRC.

Just a shame about all that crap Wilks vs Higgins in the press.

Bazza2541
4th February 2008, 14:35
Angry I think, but I'll not argue in case you get cross

What is your favorite pastime?

Are you a DMC member?

Yes, Kris was offered a full PWRC last year, but he was going to have to pay, and where has PWRC led for anyone yet?

Rallying is my favourite pastime.
Yes, I am a member of the Donegal Motor Club.

Meeke Fan
5th February 2008, 13:53
Thanks for the responses so far. Its a pity no one out there knows wat Kris will be doing this year. In my opinion he is one of the fastest and smoothest drivers around. At Rally Ireland he showed that he could go quicker than the SWRT yet have a farcical mechanical team lead by DMG.

Surely talents like Kris Meeke and Guy Wilks should be given drives in WRC rather than rich kids parents buying their way into works teams.

gravelman
5th February 2008, 14:46
Thanks for the responses so far. Its a pity no one out there knows wat Kris will be doing this year. In my opinion he is one of the fastest and smoothest drivers around. At Rally Ireland he showed that he could go quicker than the SWRT yet have a farcical mechanical team lead by DMG.

Surely talents like Kris Meeke and Guy Wilks should be given drives in WRC rather than rich kids parents buying their way into works teams.

Farcical? Thats a bit harsh, Wilks car finished sixth and Dereks cars have won numerous championships and have always been prepared to the highest standard. That said, its a real pity for Kris that things have gone this way. I know that there are a lot of people who have their own opinions on Kris and his career, but he is a natural talent who isnt at the stage of his career where he deserves to be.

Bazza2541
5th February 2008, 19:21

If it hadn't been for that 'farcical' team lead by DMG, Meeke would have been on the ditches with the rest of us.

ste898
5th February 2008, 22:39
Meeke Fan I really think you should stop talking a load of ****e!!!!!

DMG is one if not the top team in Ireland so the car would be 100% top notch

farquar wrc
6th February 2008, 13:42

Tell us all why DMG is farcical

Meeke Fan
6th February 2008, 14:25
Rally Ireland
1. Derek McGarrity was not once seen at the service area himself. Instead he was flying around in his helicopter all weekend.
2. When Kris went off. There was a bunch of friends/sponsors went out to fetch him. DMG had no contingency.
3. DMG would not stand over the car after the accident.

flattothematwrc
6th February 2008, 14:37
I heard something similar. Heard that McGarrity had some external pressure put on him to ensure Meeke did not do well. That why the mechanic didn't check the turbo pipe before SS3 on the Friday.

gravelman
6th February 2008, 16:06
this all sounds very conspiracy theoryish. Were Prodrive afraid of being shown up?

Bazza2541
6th February 2008, 20:11
Rally Ireland
1. Derek McGarrity was not once seen at the service area himself. Instead he was flying around in his helicopter all weekend.
2. When Kris went off. There was a bunch of friends/sponsors went out to fetch him. DMG had no contingency.
3. DMG would not stand over the car after the accident.

Meeke was in Derek's car using Derek's money and Derek's mechanics. The truth of the matter was that Meeke had no insurance to re-enter under super rally and Derek couldn't afford the loss of a WRC car if the lad stuffed it (again).

So after putting all that effort into Kris's entry he then decided to sabatoge it? Come on, thats too stupid for words.!!!

gravelman
7th February 2008, 11:00
Meeke was in Derek's car using Derek's money and Derek's mechanics. The truth of the matter was that Meeke had no insurance to re-enter under super rally and Derek couldn't afford the loss of a WRC car if the lad stuffed it (again).

So after putting all that effort into Kris's entry he then decided to sabatoge it? Come on, thats too stupid for words.!!!

With all due respect Baz, he wasnt the only one who went off over the weekend. He has a fantastic finishing record driving the WRCs and for people to be cutting the back off him over one isolated mistake in WR car is not fair on him at all. The works cars were running on tyres that had the anti puncture mousse, and some of the cuts they were making on the corners were ridiculous. This was Kris chance to run against them on relatively level playing field, and all things considered, such as his lack of time in the car in comparison to the works runners, his times were nothing to be ashamed of. The times were never a massive amount off the works Imprezas when the car ran okay, which was a rarity. He had to push and the road conditions were a major contributing factor to what happened on the stage. He also showed the neck to keep going, rather than look for the soft option of Super Rally. All in all, if it was a more level playing field such as Rally Germany or Catalunya, we would have seen him run the works Subarus much closer, but then again if my aunt had a sack, she would be my uncle. It will be a gross injustice if this is the last we will hear from this immensely talented driver.

cut the b.s.
7th February 2008, 12:33
With all due respect Baz, he wasnt the only one who went off over the weekend. He has a fantastic finishing record driving the WRCs and for people to be cutting the back off him over one isolated mistake in WR car is not fair on him at all. The works cars were running on tyres that had the anti puncture mousse, and some of the cuts they were making on the corners were ridiculous. This was Kris chance to run against them on relatively level playing field, and all things considered, such as his lack of time in the car in comparison to the works runners, his times were nothing to be ashamed of. The times were never a massive amount off the works Imprezas when the car ran okay, which was a rarity. He had to push and the road conditions were a major contributing factor to what happened on the stage. He also showed the neck to keep going, rather than look for the soft option of Super Rally. All in all, if it was a more level playing field such as Rally Germany or Catalunya, we would have seen him run the works Subarus much closer, but then again if my aunt had a sack, she would be my uncle. It will be a gross injustice if this is the last we will hear from this immensely talented driver.

Spot on

Cha-Fitz
7th February 2008, 13:03
some one talking abit of sense at last

Bazza2541
7th February 2008, 13:31

You missed my point completely.
DMG paid for Meeke to enter rally Ireland, supplied him with a car and crew and everything else needed, why would he go to all that trouble if he was then to sabatoge the effort?

As for Meeke's off, how many others didn't go off? If you are correct then all the others who finished were not trying hard enough? If I am right Meeke didn't judge the conditions properly, and ran out of talent. Regardless of which of us is right, Meeke is sitting at home as he didn't do what he was supposed to do, which was impress the factory teams.

Meeke Fan
7th February 2008, 17:59
Bazza 2541
DMG didn't pay for Kris to enter the rally and run the car. I know this for fact. Kris raised the necessary finances from some very loyal supporters. DMG charged Kris's for the car and mechanics. I know the figure but do not wish to disclose. Kris raised the money himself from his sponsors: Rushmere, KDM Hire Ltd, Carella Worktops, Click CI Insurance and Michael Nugent Ltd. Some these firms paid in excess of £10k.

Bazza2541
7th February 2008, 19:06
We were going to try and gather a few pounds for Meekes Rally Ireland effort on another forum when a story was printed in Motorsport News that DMG wanted to put Meeke into Donnelly's S12 which he would be getting upgraded to S12b spec. So we were off the hook, now you tell me that DMG didn't pay it which very definately hasn't been mentioned here since.

Sorry old chap, I choose to believe that DMG was the hero of the hour.

farquar wrc
7th February 2008, 21:00
We were going to try and gather a few pounds for Meekes Rally Ireland effort on another forum when a story was printed in Motorsport News that DMG wanted to put Meeke into Donnelly's S12 which he would be getting upgraded to S12b spec. So we were off the hook, now you tell me that DMG didn't pay it which very definately hasn't been mentioned here since.

Sorry old chap, I choose to believe that DMG was the hero of the hour.
It was Kris and Barry's hard work that found the money for the car,i know that DMG wanted £10000 to let the car run on day two of the rally because he said the warranty of all components was void after the bump

Bazza2541
7th February 2008, 23:00
It was Kris and Barry's hard work that found the money for the car,i know that DMG wanted £10000 to let the car run on day two of the rally because he said the warranty of all components was void after the bump

Is that not fair enough?

Meeke Fan
8th February 2008, 09:57
I understand DMG wanted a fair bit more than 10K to run the car on day 2. I think its fair enough that DMG doesn't get the credit for any of RI and that as farquar wrc wrote: it was Kris and his brother Barry that done the hard yards. Fair enough??

farquar wrc
8th February 2008, 10:01
It would of if the car had taken a big hit,but the worst damage to the S12 was the wing,none of the mechanicals were damaged,at the end of the day,DMG has a buisness to run and Kris made the mistake,i just think the DMG must have made a fortune from Kris's slip up,the car would be sitting rally ready the next day for very little money and DMG with 80k in his back pocket for less than a days rallying

Bazza2541
8th February 2008, 10:58
Thats not the story that we got here.

This is what we were told and I quote:-

There was the insurance excess issue as well as Kris feelng there was little to achieve running down the order under Superally. In addition damaged RH front suspension and bodywork could've been repaired in time but I think there was something that could not have been repaired or replaced in the steering which I suppose made the decision to withdraw easier.

farquar wrc
8th February 2008, 12:20
Thats not the story that we got here.

This is what we were told and I quote:-

There was the insurance excess issue as well as Kris feelng there was little to achieve running down the order under Superally. In addition damaged RH front suspension and bodywork could've been repaired in time but I think there was something that could not have been repaired or replaced in the steering which I suppose made the decision to withdraw easier.
You're right,but i had to feel very sorry for Kris,standing looking at the car,knowing it would fix easily,but the mechanics would'nt touch it till DMG got more money,the problem was the front wheel was pushed back a few millimeters which threw the tracking out,but not one component was changed to try and rectify it

At the end of the day,Kris is the one Irish driver who could mix it right at the top level giving time in a works team,sadly i think his Red Mist moments will mean this will never happen

Cha-Fitz
8th February 2008, 17:13
Kris Meeke is one of the best rally drivers on the island..end of story! If he had the necessary money he would be putting up competitve times with loeb and the rest...one slip up doesnt mean its the end. Loeb today in Sweden had one! Is he going to be ran from Citroen. I doubt it!!! I think he derves his chance at the top and best of luck to him...

noel157
9th February 2008, 02:40
Thanks for the quote...
All that has been said in the last few posts is just about correct. Couple of other points- I think once an insured car has sustained damage the insurance cover essentially ends unless a further payment is agreed to re-start the cover. The inner RH wing had been pushed back an inch or two and this, I think, was related to the steering issue. I'm not sure if the front rail was damaged or not.
It was a difficult time for Kris and despite a previous poster mentioning red mist the off was not really caused by excess speed. It was a mild enough RH corner but the combination of a greasy surface, grass and the negative camber of the corner made the car understeer off and down the bank. Granted, if Kris had carried 5% less on entry things may have been different. Conversely if he had carried 5% more speed into the corner the car may not have understeered so much. Just a bad break. Don't forget one of the most "careful" drivers in the ITC also came to grief, Eamon Boland.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0PZEdJ29Po
Bare in mind Kris's finishing record in WRC machinery was 100% until Rally Ireland. I'm not sure if things would have been any different even if he didn't have the turbo pipe problem in SS5.
As also mentioned DMG is a business man and Kris's generous sponsors arranged the drive for him.
I sincerely hope Kris gets another opportunity but at present I don't think there's too much on the horizon other than perhaps a one off drive here and there.

Cha-Fitz
13th February 2008, 23:31
This sums up what a talented driver he is and he def deserves a crack at the tarmac this year!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGunMCXnvc