PDA

View Full Version : Team RAC BMWs

MG2004
11th January 2007, 13:22
Great news that Team RAC has confirmed a pair of BMWs for 2007.

Nice pictures at http://www.teamrac.com/gallery_search.asp?photo_cat=90

The car looks stunning - can't wait for the season to begin!

cos
11th January 2007, 14:29
They're also getting BMW engineers to help out at the pre-season tests and the first few race meetings which should help them hit the ground running.

Alfa Fan
11th January 2007, 14:30
I remember Martyn Bell saying Geoff Steel Racing where doing that as well last season?

Brown, Jon Brow
11th January 2007, 14:46
I'm looking forward to next season now :D

With SEAT's, Vectra, New Civic, and BMW's (3 series and 1 series) at the front it should be very interesting :up: Maybe WSR could have an advantage at the start of the season as the Vectra and Civic will need more development.

I would have prefered it though if the cars were backed from BMW and were white and Blue with BMWmotorsport stickers.

Alfa Fan
11th January 2007, 14:51
Turkington has been confirmed on btcc.net No mention of the second driver.

Pedalpusher
11th January 2007, 15:15
Just seen those pics.
I think that BMW looks fantastic in the orange, black and white livery. :up:

Robinho
11th January 2007, 15:29
looks great, and if anyone has the tools to make the BMW a competitve force in the BTCC then its WSR (excluding a works BMW team obviously! ;) )

i think that they should be able to get a little more out of the car than GSR, i don't think they had the budget nor the experience at the BTCC level to fully exploit the car last year, i expect WSR to go much better, plus they are using a newer car also.

SEATFreak
11th January 2007, 16:49
i think that they should be able to get a little more out of the car than GSR,

Where did GSR run in? The WTCC?

Anyway, I am more concerned at the fact they are actually able to run them. And with help from BMW Motorsport they ought to be really strong.

VkmSpouge
11th January 2007, 16:55

GSR (Geoff Steel Racing) ran Martyn Bell in the BTCC last year using an ex-Dirk Muller, 2005 BMW 320.i E46.

Alfa Fan
11th January 2007, 16:55
SEATFreak! GSR - Geoff Steel Racing, who ran Martyn Bell's BMW 320i E46 in 2006, and will continue to do so in 2007.

Brown, Jon Brow
11th January 2007, 17:09

Anyway, I am more concerned at the fact they are actually able to run them. And with help from BMW Motorsport they ought to be really strong.

:dozey:

Wake up SEAT freak!!

It will be interesting to see who is quickest out of the BMW's next year. GSR, WSR or the new 1 series (don't know team name :dozey: )

Alfa Fan
11th January 2007, 17:13
West Surrey Racing will be quickest. Geoff Steel Racing 2nd and West Suffolk Racing 3rd

SEATFreak
11th January 2007, 17:17
Wake up SEAT freak!!

Zzzzzzzzzzzz... :p :

All I have ever known Geoff Steel Racing by is the full name. Not the initials. If you feel that stronly about me being such a bad person for making an innocent mistake then do something about it.

Anyway, I think the si model seems to be the way to go now with all three of BMW's WTCC teams running them and Weichers changing to it so atleast they may have a long term future with it.

Ian McC
11th January 2007, 18:47
Well I hope they have better luck than everyone else has had so far with BMWs

Funks
11th January 2007, 19:06
If there is a team that can get them sorted, it is WSR. It took Martyn Bell months to realise there was a substantial problem with the suspension settings. With no disrepsect meant to Geoff Steel Racing - I would say that WSR have the experience and necessary resources to spot things like that early and work on an answer to them... not to mention the financial backing of a substantial principal sponsor.

msport-images
11th January 2007, 23:37
Yep , had a good old nosey around it today ....

http://www.geocities.com/spoogle_2000/rac1.jpg

very smart !

msport-images
12th January 2007, 00:12
Yep , had a good old nosey around it today ....

http://motorsport-images.com/rac1.jpg

very smart !

Sorry , previous link ran out of bandwidth :-(

speedy king
12th January 2007, 00:26
Car is stunning!!!! along with the Vectra, looking very good for this year, reminds me of the Supertouring look :)

Piesjohn
12th January 2007, 02:31
Rear end isnt too bad either.....and the BMW's

the rat fan
12th January 2007, 03:53
WSR have got themselfs a very very good car for this year, i'll be disapointed if there not up there from the off!!

WelshLegend
12th January 2007, 09:06
any1 got a picture of the models shown in the BMW picture?

WSRfan82
12th January 2007, 09:21
im stunned(in a good way) that WSR are using bmw's and car looks fantastice i honestley thought that they would us the chevy or some other front wheel driver car but the bmw wooow! (now i know what car to buy this year sold my team rac livered MG ZS 2 week ago) and the vectra looks good the saloon would look better in my veiw. now the btcc is starting to look like the good old days of the supertours i just can not what for the season to start role on 2007

msport-images
12th January 2007, 10:51
any1 got a picture of the models shown in the BMW picture?

sure , how many do you want ?

http://motorsport-images.com/rac142.jpg

Peter2003
12th January 2007, 11:43
Sorry to ask a silly question, but I take it WSR won't be continuing with using bio-ethanol fuel for the Beemers? Couldn't see any mention of it (unless I'm blind!) in any of the press releases or on their website.

SEATFreak
12th January 2007, 12:25
Back to the car, I see that Turks has taken Collards #7 from last year.

Any reason why? Is that any kind of confirmation that Rob will not be racing with WSR?

Or is the car just some kind of display model any not representative of the actual car Turks will run? I remember on the old forum I posted a pic I took of a car with a Vauxhall Motorsport car behind and I remember someone saying something like "That is just a display model!!!" (in the usual angry tone).

LiamM
12th January 2007, 12:28
Where? Its a 7 on the car? and that stands for 2007 im sure

SEATFreak
12th January 2007, 12:32
See. That is the wonderful thing about the BTCC. What you see isn't what you get. :p : :laugh:

PDS
12th January 2007, 13:10
Where? Its a 7 on the car? and that stands for 2007 im sure

You are right!

It actually had 07, as the vectra had 2007! It just denotes the year not the race number..

tisme
12th January 2007, 13:16
http://motorsport-images.com/rac142.jpg

God, that girls in the middle looks ill! Are the other two girls holding her up?

msport-images
12th January 2007, 13:20
God, that girls in the middle looks ill! Are the other two girls holding her up?

Errmm... ill hold her up if the other 2 get tired ! :)

Im not to sure about Rob but they did have him on the promo video on the stand .... i hope so ....

Piesjohn
12th January 2007, 14:35
Yup, Theres nothing like a healty lookin tan, and thats nothin like a healthy lookin tan!

wedge
12th January 2007, 18:11
Looks more like a NASCAR!

Hopefully we'll get some proper scuplted air ducts on the front wing?

chrisyboy
12th January 2007, 18:36
Is Tom Onslow Cole not goin to be in the 2nd car

Alfa Fan
12th January 2007, 18:39
Apparantly not. MN reported he was 85% through a deal with a BTCC team in October/November, believed to be WSR, but haven't heard anything since.

An "insider" who posted on btcc.net suggested the second drive would be between Dan Eaves, Gavin Smith and Gareth Howell.
As Gareth Howell is suggested to have signed for Motorbase Performance, it looks like it will be between Eaves and Smith.

Personally I hope it is Eaves that gets the drive.

Ian McC
12th January 2007, 20:47
Yup, Theres nothing like a healty lookin tan, and thats nothin like a healthy lookin tan!

Aaah but a tan isn't considered healthy anymore.

Brown, Jon Brow
12th January 2007, 21:01
Back to the car, I see that Turks has taken Collards #7 from last year.

Any reason why? Is that any kind of confirmation that Rob will not be racing with WSR?

Or is the car just some kind of display model any not representative of the actual car Turks will run? I remember on the old forum I posted a pic I took of a car with a Vauxhall Motorsport car behind and I remember someone saying something like "That is just a display model!!!" (in the usual angry tone).

Wake up SEATFreak :dozey:

Anyway Collard wouldn't be having number 7 as he would be having no. 9 (His championship position last year) and Turks should be having no. 3 ;)

Piesjohn
13th January 2007, 02:02
Aaah but a tan isn't considered healthy anymore.

Is from where I'm standing, 2 fine healthy specimens!!!
And 1 that looks like she's had 1 too many sherberts last night.

SEATFreak
13th January 2007, 09:28
Wake up SEATFreak :dozey:

Zzzzzzzz... :p :

tyreman2
13th January 2007, 17:51
Does anybody know why the car in the pictures has what appears to be pieces of scaffold tube sticking out of the centre off the wheels

PDS
13th January 2007, 19:38
Does anybody know why the car in the pictures has what appears to be pieces of scaffold tube sticking out of the centre off the wheels
I would imagine it is to help with wheel bolt alignment!

As the BM's use bolts instead of studs. It will make it easier to centralise the wheels when trying to put them on!

Just a guess!

tdb
13th January 2007, 20:35

Not wishing to deliberately contradict PDS. but the BMW does have studs and nuts, as per S2000 spec.

The reason for the extended hub centre is for ease of lining up the wheel with the studs, i designed a similar thing on the lexus front bells last season, although not as long as the BMW.
It makes lining the wheel up with the studs much, much easier, as the wheel is supported and you just have to spin it till it locates.

PDS
13th January 2007, 20:38
Not wishing to deliberately contradict PDS. but the BMW does have studs and nuts, as per S2000 spec.

The reason for the extended hub centre is for ease of lining up the wheel with the studs, i designed a similar thing on the lexus front bells last season, although not as long as the BMW.
It makes lining the wheel up with the studs much, much easier, as the wheel is supported and you just have to spin it till it locates.

You-the-man tdb!

They look like bolts is the pictures that have been posted! I bow to your superior mechanical knowledge!

Anyway, I was on the right lines, wasn't I?

daz90
13th January 2007, 21:22
Good to see some current BMW's back in the BTCC whatever the team or backing.

They should be ultra competative, and i must admit even i am looking forward to 2007, it should be a cracker.

tyreman2
14th January 2007, 02:43
sorry P thats not the answer

tyreman2
14th January 2007, 02:45
But why only this BMW?

Brown, Jon Brow
14th January 2007, 17:58
The mor I look at this car from the front or side the more I like it. But from the Back it looks like an RAC rescue vehicle.

Bezza
14th January 2007, 22:14
That looks absolutely mint! I'll be up for Turkington this season, along with Plato and SEAT. Turks really impressed me last season I think his first title could be just around the corner. He is certainly the best new driver of the last few seasons and fully deserves his drives.

Allyc85
14th January 2007, 23:02
I saw the car for myself today and it looks amazing, if looks won championships eh? ;)

rdjones
20th January 2007, 10:32
I see that someone has setup a WSR fan's site at http://www.wsr-fans.co.uk

Rusty
20th January 2007, 11:00

Looks pretty good....

tisme
20th January 2007, 13:57

Someone???

It has your name all over it!

Good site though!

PDS
20th January 2007, 19:06
But why only this BMW?
Dunno!
Is it because it is raced in Sweden?

tyreman2
21st January 2007, 01:17
Dunno!
Is it because it is raced in Sweden?
You got it PDS! they still have pit stops to change tyres in Swedish championship so it is there to help locate the wheels in a hurry

Subaru WRX
25th January 2007, 05:40
I hate the pit stops in touring cars, espacially in DTM, as overtaking are always done there

Rusty
25th January 2007, 10:24
BTCC scrapped mandetory pit-stops a few years ago and changed to a 3 race format over shorter distances.....