PDA

View Full Version : Champcar, and Savannah, GA.....

jimispeed
30th January 2008, 22:54
Have you seen the Champcar Atlantic Team Jensen invitation for celebration? What wonderful history lives in that city for Champcar.

http://www.americangrandprize.com

Champcar needs to go back, and celebrate its 100th Anniversary of the Vanderbilt Cup by racing again in Savannah, GA..

gofastandwynn
31st January 2008, 00:18
Have you seen the Champcar Atlantic Team Jensen invitation for celebration? What wonderful history lives in that city for Champcar.

http://www.americangrandprize.com

Champcar needs to go back, and celebrate its 100th Anniversary of the Vanderbilt Cup by racing again in Savannah, GA..

Well, it's not like there isn't a track there.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=32.087506~-81.076516&style=h&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=13466227&encType=1

mikiec
31st January 2008, 00:40
It's an opportunity that's as good as, if not better than, any other! Especially with a 100th anniversary of the Vanderbilt Cup. Re-incarnate the "American Grand Prize" for 2008. There's no "US Grand Prix" this year and it shows that American racing heritage comes from road racing and not purely ovals!

I'm doing some real soul-searching at the moment re AOWR, but I think that this could be a great event, not just as a one-off, but as a really historic and meaningful event.

Blancvino
31st January 2008, 01:44
Savannah is a beautiful place but a real bitch to get to. I think it would be a major bust for a race location.

Sandfly
31st January 2008, 02:34
Savannah is a beautiful place but a real bitch to get to. I think it would be a major bust for a race location.

Thats Savannah GEORGIA,,, not Indiana.

As in I-95, I-16
As in Delta, Continental, US Air, United, American, Northwest etc,,

Link http://www.savannahairport.com/airlines.php

Atlanta, Daytona, Charlotte 4 hr drive

Jacksonville, Charleston, Macon, Columbia, Augusta, Darlington, 2hr drive

Hilton Head - 30 minutes

Site of the FIRST AMERICAN GRAND PRIX - Underneath your Bridgestones

Breeze
31st January 2008, 16:01
Thats Savannah GEORGIA,,, not Indiana.

As in I-95, I-16
As in Delta, Continental, US Air, United, American, Northwest etc,,

Link http://www.savannahairport.com/airlines.php

Atlanta, Daytona, Charlotte 4 hr drive

Jacksonville, Charleston, Macon, Columbia, Augusta, Darlington, 2hr drive

Hilton Head - 30 minutes

Site of the FIRST AMERICAN GRAND PRIX - Underneath your Bridgestones

Right, and only one span on either side of the island. And on one side, there's no place to go.

Sandfly
31st January 2008, 17:23
There is no difficulty reaching the circuit. Some people may find the 5 min ride over the bridge or the 3 minute water taxi ride to be more than they are willing to undertake, but it has never presented a problem in the past. If they are coming in from hilton Head or the North off I-95 they do not cross the bridge, although they do have to travel on a road. In fact, in 1997 the current access road was not even built and they used buses ( included in ticket price ) and water taxis to get to the circuit. There was no hotel . no Trade Center, no electrical service - and the venue was outstanding. There is no real comparison with Belle Isle other than bridge/Island. This is a developed Island --Westin Hotel / Golf course / Ga International Trade Center-- 300 yard from Savannah RiverFront and has a purpose built tempoarary road circuit on it. Access is not a problem.

Dr. Krogshöj
31st January 2008, 20:09
There is no difficulty reaching the circuit. Some people may find the 5 min ride over the bridge or the 3 minute water taxi ride to be more than they are willing to undertake, but it has never presented a problem in the past. If they are coming in from hilton Head or the North off I-95 they do not cross the bridge, although they do have to travel on a road. In fact, in 1997 the current access road was not even built and they used buses ( included in ticket price ) and water taxis to get to the circuit. There was no hotel . no Trade Center, no electrical service - and the venue was outstanding. There is no real comparison with Belle Isle other than bridge/Island. This is a developed Island --Westin Hotel / Golf course / Ga International Trade Center-- 300 yard from Savannah RiverFront and has a purpose built tempoarary road circuit on it. Access is not a problem.

Sounds good to me. Now find a promoter who's willing to stage it! Denver also. And Vegas.

CCFan
31st January 2008, 20:27
The circuit history on e-tracks says that it only held a one-off Indy Lights race & wasn't popular with the drivers, so Indycar race idea was dropped.

Sandfly
1st February 2008, 02:57
The circuit history on e-tracks says that it only held a one-off Indy Lights race & wasn't popular with the drivers, so Indycar race idea was dropped.

In 1997 they held a stand alone Indy Lights race and drew 35,000 over three days. That was with six months lead time on an island with a two lane road access and no electricity. The event was a huge success in terms of the venue and the response from the community. The primary sponsor was set to accelerate the three year plan and try to bring the Champ Cars in the second year.

A single vendor filed lawsuits against the promoters in an effort to pierce the corporate viel and sue the investors - which he did, once the promoter group was pushed into involuntary bankruptcy. Seven years later, he dropped his suit when the facts became overwhelming. The city had closed off the roadway as the island developed around it.

Now it is ready for a major event as the City begins the 4 year long period of Celebrating the Centenial of the First American GP and the 1911 Vanderbilt Cup , each of which were held in Savannah.

As far as the drivers -- see mark Blundells comments in Autosport after having tested his Pac West car there as a demonstration at the Lights race.

The track is wide, no crown or manhole covers and has at least two passing areas. It is perfect for CC and the history of the venue makes this a natural.

gofastandwynn
1st February 2008, 04:27
http://web.ivenue.com/classicimpressions/images/M131.jpg