PDA

View Full Version : Forth and Tay road tolls abolished

Mark
30th January 2008, 08:57
On the 11th February 2008 the tolls on the Forth road bridge and Tay bridge will be scrapped :D

J4MIE
30th January 2008, 12:49
My family will save over £250 a year :up:

And I think that the congestion, on the Tay bridge at least, will actually get better. Protesters who complain that congestion will increase fail to see that it's because cars have to stop for the tolls that it is there in the first place!!

GridGirl
30th January 2008, 13:10
I think I'll save a wapping £2 a year from my annual trip to the Edinburgh Tatoo. I guess it is quite a saving if your a native. :)

Mark
6th February 2008, 07:37
About a year ago they paid £8 million to put in new toll booths, now they are having to pay £2 million to take them away!

pino
6th February 2008, 10:15
About a year ago they paid £8 million to put in new toll booths, now they are having to pay £2 million to take them away!

Yes, and they were put in in the wrong place as well, some clever engineer forgot the fact that they would have to have the new ones before taking the old ones away :crazy:

(J4MIE)

Drew
6th February 2008, 18:21

What?! £2 million to take them down? Someone's making a fortune!
How do I sign up to be a contractor for taking stuff down, the government are a bunch of mugs, I could do it all for much much cheaper! :confused:

PuddleJumper
18th February 2008, 13:25
If they've got rid of the tolls, who now pays for their upkeep? I've never driven over either bridge, but I guess some of the costs will in future come out of my pocket.

Do the people of Scotland pay for anything themselves? :p :

Mark
18th February 2008, 14:11
If they've got rid of the tolls, who now pays for their upkeep? I've never driven over either bridge, but I guess some of the costs will in future come out of my pocket.

The same way as the thousands of other bridges in the UK are paid for, from VED, fuel tax etc etc.

Dave B
19th February 2008, 16:30
Meanwhile, down sarrrf, the Darford crossing goes up from £1 to £1.50 for cars from April :bigcry:

Drew
19th February 2008, 17:27
It does seem England gets the rough side of the stick alot of the time by not having a parliament :s

Mark
20th February 2008, 07:47
Meanwhile, down sarrrf, the Darford crossing goes up from £1 to £1.50 for cars from April :bigcry:

Oh great, my trip to France just got £1 more expensive! :p

And gone is the get a pound out and chuck it in, now you have to get two coins, just like they did with the Tyne Tunnel.

Mark
20th February 2008, 07:48
It does seem England gets the rough side of the stick alot of the time by not having a parliament :s

It's not to do with having a parliament, it's because Scotland gets much more funding than England. That and a government that seemingly wants to make life nicer for its residents, rather than the westminister lot (of all colours) who seemingly want to make things worse across the board :s

Drew
20th February 2008, 13:06
It's not to do with having a parliament, it's because Scotland gets much more funding than England. That and a government that seemingly wants to make life nicer for its residents, rather than the westminister lot (of all colours) who seemingly want to make things worse across the board :s

Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish parliaments deal exclusively with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The parliament in London deals with everybody. As England has no parliament to represent solely England, in some cases we miss out.

I can only really talk about Wales, but in Wales there is no prescription charges, University is cheaper for welsh people in Wales, Scottish people don't even get charged to go to uni in Scotland. I'm sure there are advantages to living in England, though

Iain
22nd February 2008, 11:18
It was very strange driving straight through the other day. Even stranger because I used the new link road to the bridge for the first time.

Mark
22nd February 2008, 12:18
All the times I was able to go to Knockhill for free I had to deal with the A8000 and tolls on the Forth Bridge. Now that I can't go there for free there is a motorway bypass and no tolls :hmh: :p

J4MIE
22nd February 2008, 14:06
You can take the scenic route to Knockhill around my house Mark and I would be happy to accept a toll :D

Iain
22nd February 2008, 19:37
Now that is scenic. It's on the wrong side of Fife. :laugh: