PDA

View Full Version : Who should be a works driver?

Doon
29th January 2008, 19:07
Maybe someone can start a poll on this one?

I would like to say Duval because i've always been a fan of his, but his inconsistancy and usually fairly average gravel performances let him down.

The big question is.....how the hell has Jan Kopecky never been given a chance. Probably cash is the reason as it always is in the WRC, but this guy grabbed decent points in 2006 and 2007 in a 2/3 year old car that was sh*t when it was new! He could be a serious contender given the right car, it'll be a shame if we never see him again in the WRC.

What do you all think?

A.F.F.
29th January 2008, 19:36
Jan Kopecky definately.

Kris Meeke ?

N.O.T
29th January 2008, 19:41
Meeke
Wilks
Basso
Kopecky

Tomi
29th January 2008, 19:42
I think the best drivers avilable has the current workseats.

Wim_Impreza
29th January 2008, 19:47
I would say also Duval and off course Jan Kopecký. I am fan of him and it's really a pity that he would probably never the chance to be a factory driver. Bryan Bouffier, Mark Higgins, Giandomenico Basso are fast drivers too. Gabriel Pozzo deserves a next chance, after his short adventure by Škoda.

Doon
29th January 2008, 19:47
Definately Meeke too, almost forgot.

He proved himself in JWRC and in WRC car in Ireland in 2007 and GB 2005, again its all about budget!!! I'm buying a lottery ticket.....lol :)

Doon
29th January 2008, 19:51
Would love to see Miggins in the WRC he is my hero, but he to be honest even i don't think he has the raw pace. I'm no expert WRC driver but looking at his incars he is too flamboiant(sp??sorry i'm a thick) much like colin's driving style. Great to watch tho!

ZequeArgentina
29th January 2008, 20:18
Gabriel Pozzo deserves a next chance, after his short adventure by Škoda.

Yeah, I second that.
Unfortunately the tim for Pozzo to upgrade to WRC was 2002 or even 2003, but that was exactly the worst period of Argentinean Economy and everything here collapsed.

Even the deal f Sutton with Skoda came to an abrupt end and he found himself with no car at all..........

jonas_mcrae
29th January 2008, 21:04
Kopecky for sure(maybe only for tarmac at first, but hell he can be fast anywhere!), although I think that the Fabia is not that bad, its the fact that he knows it sooo well that he is the only one who can get the pace out of it. Maybe putting him in a different car would unbalance him and would actually take longer to get used to a different car, what was he driving before Fabia?

oh yes and Hanninen maybe...

White Sauron
29th January 2008, 21:09
Anton Alen.

DonJippo
29th January 2008, 21:11
So who out of the current eight works drivers should be replaced then if you say there are people without a works seat that deserves one?

Mirek
29th January 2008, 21:11
jonas_mcrae: Kopecký? Before Fabia WRC (since 2004 maybe) he drove Octavia WRC and Corolla WRC, also Lancer evo VII N4. He was driving also Fabia Kit Car A6 for last two seasons (this season probably too)...

... and several seasons in circuit racing.

White Sauron
29th January 2008, 21:22
So who out of the current eight works drivers should be replaced then if you say there are people without a works seat that deserves one?

Well, I'd definetely give a chance to Alen to drive in Stobart's Focus instead of Wilson Jr.

Buzz Lightyear
29th January 2008, 21:28
I would like to see Meeke and Andersson as team mates!!! fireworks!!

jonas_mcrae
29th January 2008, 21:31
thanks Mirek

Skoda rules! LOL

Mirek
29th January 2008, 21:33
jonas_mcrae: If there was no Skoda, there was probably no Kopecky in WRC. Even last year he wouldn't have been there without Skoda's support.

PuddleJumper
29th January 2008, 21:36
I'd get rid of that Loeb chap. He's useless.

jonas_mcrae
29th January 2008, 21:37
]jonas_mcrae: If there was no Skoda, there was probably no Kopecky in WRC. Even last year he wouldn't have been there without Skoda's support.

I know that, and I really hope Skoda take their S2000 plans further to employ kopecky later on. Im a big fan of the Skoda-Kopecky combination! Im actually wearing a CRT-Skoda-Kopecky fleece right now! and I and prefer it over any other.

DonJippo
29th January 2008, 21:39
I'd get rid of that Loeb chap. He's useless.

:p : me too

PuddleJumper
29th January 2008, 21:44
I think François Duval should be in a works car for the tarmac rounds this year, and after his performance in Monte Carlo, he probably will be. First win for the Stobart team in Germany perhaps?

I wish Kris Meeke had been able to get a works drive for 2008. He's got talent, but it's going to waste. Pity he doesn't have money behind him as he'd have been great for a Citroën B-team with Urmo Aava!

MJW
29th January 2008, 21:57
Pity he doesn't have money behind him as he'd have been great for a Citroën B-team with Urmo Aava!
Surely not instead of Conrad
- We have a great wrc, Conrad, Matt Wilson, the Argentinian ice cream men.... who needs Tommi, Colin, Carlos - thats so 2002!!!

Tomi
29th January 2008, 22:01
- We have a great wrc, Conrad, Matt Wilson, the Argentinian ice cream men.... who needs Tommi, Colin, Carlos - thats so 2002!!!

LOL, very true :)

Corny
29th January 2008, 22:07
Duval, Kopecky, Araujo maybe?

A.F.F.
29th January 2008, 22:08
Skoda rules! LOL

God damn it rules !

Mickey T
29th January 2008, 22:19
Anton Alen is a natural and Aava needs consistent opportunities to become a star.

of course, finding two seats is difficult.

At Citroen, i think LOEB's seat is probably safe.

SORDO is strong on tarmac, but it could be a definitive year for him. Unfortunately for him, there are only three more tarmac events this season, so it's with his form on snow and, more pointedly, gravel that he needs to step up.

I'd reckon he'd need to consistently get his loose-surface pace to within 0.5 seconds/km of Loeb - when the fight is on, not on the Sunday snooze cruise. Last season he was considerably over a second away.

If not, then his long-term career could fizzle out, but i doubt it would happen at a rate to give the other possibles an opening.

Over Ford way, MIKKO's consistency and mechanical sympathy would have him as a walk-up start in any factory team. I hope he can take his form consistently to the next level this year - to be the fastest man in the team like he occasionally was last year - but even if it doesn't, i'd regard him as a long-term works man.

LATVALA seems a safe long-term bet, even if he doesn't deliver immediately this year. I'd look for him to be sporadically impressive this year, but start consistently getting it done in a couple of years, so be patient with incidents like he had on Monte and be especially patient on tarmac.

Even though he's a Finn who doesn't drink (so something inside me doesn't really think he's a genuine Finn...), i think Ford would be silly to get rid of him, and Jost Capito is not a silly man.

So you've got Subaru, and ATKINSON and SOLBERG. Petter lost a bit of my respect when he parked a ugly, but straight and driveable car in Finland last year. i can't remember a world champion ever doing that. Neither driver has been consistent enough, but the issue is that they've never had a quick car when it's been reliable and they've never had a reliable car when it's been quick.

It's up to the team and if they can provide a genuine Focus and C4 rival on a consistent rally-by-rally basis, and if the cars can handle consistently over a full day in the field, then i think the drivers are up to the job, but i think SOLBERG may be overshadowed by his teammate this year.

At Suzuki, it's too early to tell if it's a desirable place to be anyway. PG impressed lots of people in Monte, but it was just one event, so let's see. in any case, even if he's got it, he'll need a few years.

GARDI is there for experience and consistency, neither of which the alternatives possess yet. Nevertheless, he's the only one whose long-term future (as in, after this season) as a factory driver looks the shakiest.

i'm kent brockman, and that was my two cents...

PuddleJumper
29th January 2008, 22:22
As far as I know Urmo and Conrad are not in the same team.

DonJippo
29th January 2008, 23:00
i'm kent brockman, and that was my two cents...

I would say quite valuable two cents :up:

pino
30th January 2008, 06:25
Alessandro Bettega deserves a seat too :D

Mickey T
30th January 2008, 08:50
and what country might he be from, pino?

Doon
30th January 2008, 09:04
No disrespect but Rautencrash needs to give his car seat to someone who can drive. As for the Ice Cream men, I'm sure they know they'll never be world champs...just having fun.

Works/semi-works drivers to go;

Gard
Wilson
Galli
H.Solberg

pino
30th January 2008, 09:16
and what country might he be from, pino?

I believe Italy but I am not sure :p :

ARF
30th January 2008, 11:38
Aava had 5 seasons in JWRC with probably the best equipment. He managed to win only two rallies, one of them was on paper anyway. During that time and taking into account the experience of almost all the rounds, he should have had much more wins. And being unlucky (punctures etc) is part of the game, only the best can win.
If he was to be a top driver in WRC, he should have been as impressive as Loeb or Sordo during their JWRC year.
No offence, but my guess for his future would be a constant point-scorer from 4th-8th place, as the likes of Henning, Galli and some others.

AndyRAC
30th January 2008, 12:22
Remember Duval has won a WRC event - Australia 2005!! Why hasn't he got a factory drive?? or any drive for the full season??

GigiGalliNo1
30th January 2008, 13:26
Welp, Galli has got a seat.... so what would we throw Kopecky in?

Mirek
30th January 2008, 14:59
Kopecky has works seat too, but not in WRC...

Roy
30th January 2008, 18:18
Alessandro Bettega deserves a seat too :D

Not a works seat yet. Give him some experience in a WRC. Maybe Munchi's in tarmac events?

I miss Wilks. What a good year he had last year. I hope he is back this year in some rallies.

RS
30th January 2008, 19:22
In last weeks Motorsport News, Marcus offered his opinions on all the WRC drivers. He said if he was a team managaer he would sign Duval straight away because of his speed, but he did say he was a bad communicator.

Good to see so many votes for Kopecky. He definitely has a lot of talent and he and his team had the Fabia WRC working perfectly. There are two CRT-Skoda review (2006 and 2007) videos linked from eWRC.cz and it's beautiful to watch.

Now it looks like Jan will drive Fabia S2000 in IRC 2009, championship which has, or may well have many of the above named drivers this year/next year.

RS
30th January 2008, 19:25
I think the best drivers avilable has the current workseats.

One presumes you are excluding Stobart and Munchis from that list? If so then you may be right, although not so sure about the Suzuki lineup.

Tomi
30th January 2008, 19:35
One presumes you are excluding Stobart and Munchis from that list? If so then you may be right, although not so sure about the Suzuki lineup.

yes to me stobart and munchis are privateers.

Micke_VOC
30th January 2008, 21:51
Meeke and Wilks
and EKSTRÖM !!!! =)

T60
30th January 2008, 22:41
Meeke.

duff
30th January 2008, 23:09
Yep Meeke. The boy is fast.

kleisj
31st January 2008, 12:03
Duval should be reinstated to WRC works driver. Definitely has the speed to compete with Loeb. Specially on tarmac I think is the only who can compete against the French. And he can also drive good on gravel. He is much more mature and if he is given the chance I think he can be serious championship contender.

Kopecky should be definitely promoted to regular WRC works driver. The guy had shown very promising performances and had driven the Fabia fast and wise in many cases. The Fabia cannot be compared not even for joke with the Xsaras, Focus, Impreza. But he managed to drive it very quick and reliable with constant point scoring positions and decent times. He is in the right age for the next step. I hope that he will be given a chance very soon.

Also as NOT mentioned before the name, I would like to see Basso in a WRC tarmac event.

AndyRAC
31st January 2008, 12:55
Duval should be reinstated to WRC works driver. Definitely has the speed to compete with Loeb. Specially on tarmac I think is the only who can compete against the French. And he can also drive good on gravel. He is much more mature and if he is given the chance I think he can be serious championship contender.

Kopecky should be definitely promoted to regular WRC works driver. The guy had shown very promising performances and had driven the Fabia fast and wise in many cases. The Fabia cannot be compared not even for joke with the Xsaras, Focus, Impreza. But he managed to drive it very quick and reliable with constant point scoring positions and decent times. He is in the right age for the next step. I hope that he will be given a chance very soon.

Also as NOT mentioned before the name, I would like to see Basso in a WRC tarmac event.

Loeb, Solberg and Hirvonen are all WRC winners, and that's it. And we have Duval also a WRC winner, has trouble getting a drive. What's going on??? If he has a problem getting a drive, then the WRC is in a mess. What kind of a sport can leave winners out? Not one struggling for stars. Interesting interview from Phil Mills on the WRC podcast - welcoming the appearance of Galli and Duval, and wishing there were another 20 drivers like that. Here, here!!

Lalo
31st January 2008, 17:54
Yeah, I second that.
Unfortunately the tim for Pozzo to upgrade to WRC was 2002 or even 2003, but that was exactly the worst period of Argentinean Economy and everything here collapsed.

That's true. He really deserves a second chance. Remember last year he was the only contender to Arai's ambitions on the way to his PWRC title, and that tells he still has it.

Duval should stay and show everybody how good he is. On the other hand, I'm still quite shocked Pons will return only because he has money. Put Xavier out of the car and let Gabriel Pozzo a chance! In the end, motorsport is not only driven by drivers or team technitians. Cash can really help :S

Mickey T
31st January 2008, 18:10
Duval might be quick in a car - a tarmac car - he comes at a price.

i'm not talking about his relative lack of pace on gravel, nor his tendency to bin cars on loose surfaces, either.

Mr Duval is widely disliked by people who have worked with him in WRC teams. I doubt he'd drive for the Ford number one team again while Malcolm is in charge and he's on the outer at PSA, which control Citroen and Peugeot.

His backers paid for his drive in the Monte - he wasn't asked to drive by Stobart - and the Stobart pay-drive seats are all booked up for the rest of the year.

My mail is that he wants to buy an M Sport focus, but they won't have one available until around Greece - assuming nobody properly bins a shell before then.

Nor does M Sport have the on-site resources to run more than eight cars per event, so Duval will have to run the car himself, but expect to see more of him in the latter half of the year anyway.

On talent, speed and experience alone, Duval warrants a works seat. Unfortunately, he seems to have burnt a lot of bridges...

grugsticles
31st January 2008, 19:12
I agree with what Mickey T is saying - Dudu has the car skills and he must have a fair wad of financial support, but it seems that he has a habbit it getting on his teams bad side.
Id like to see him in a works drive again, and I would think that Suzuki would be the best bet for him next year (Im thinking a 3 car team rather than dumping PG or Toni who both equally deserve their seats IMO).

Id also like to see Daniel Carlson (sp?) back - serious contender on events he knows and with a year or 2 of experience behind him, he would be a serious championship contender given the right equiptment.

Helstar
31st January 2008, 20:48
Markko Martin.

jso1985
31st January 2008, 22:56

haha sour grapes? that's an unfair comparison and you know it!
The 2002 version of Rautenbach, Wilson or Perez Companc were Tomas Kuchar, Papadimitriou or Achim Mörtl. and I doubt you actually miss those drivers

as for the topic, my vote goes to Duval

smolvar
2nd February 2008, 03:19
We have a great wrc, Conrad, Matt Wilson, the Argentinian ice cream men....

This made me laugh out loud. It's truly a sad state of affairs when a big check gets a ride over championship potential.

Similar things are happening with our "Motocrossing Skydiver" and "Shoe Man" heading up the charge in the USA.

gloomyDAY
2nd February 2008, 03:58
Similar things are happening with our "Motocrossing Skydiver" and "Shoe Man" heading up the charge in the USA.
LOL!

God bless us.

Mickey T
10th February 2008, 07:27
Over Ford way, MIKKO's consistency and mechanical sympathy would have him as a walk-up start in any factory team. I hope he can take his form consistently to the next level this year - to be the fastest man in the team like he occasionally was last year - but even if it doesn't, i'd regard him as a long-term works man.

LATVALA seems a safe long-term bet, even if he doesn't deliver immediately this year. I'd look for him to be sporadically impressive this year, but start consistently getting it done in a couple of years, so be patient with incidents like he had on Monte and be especially patient on tarmac.

Even though he's a Finn who doesn't drink (so something inside me doesn't really think he's a genuine Finn...), i think Ford would be silly to get rid of him, and Jost Capito is not a silly man.

i hate being right all the time...

DonJippo
10th February 2008, 07:44
i hate being right all the time...

In that case stop being right :p

Daniel
10th February 2008, 10:16
Remember Duval has won a WRC event - Australia 2005!! Why hasn't he got a factory drive?? or any drive for the full season??
I'm sorry but that was more a case of Solberg, Gronholm and Loeb all not wanting to win the rally than Duval doing a good job.

Mickey T
10th February 2008, 10:48
In that case stop being right :p

i wish i could. really.

I'd just like to feel like the rest of you sometimes...

AndyRAC
10th February 2008, 14:15
I'm sorry but that was more a case of Solberg, Gronholm and Loeb all not wanting to win the rally than Duval doing a good job.

...or all of them going off. I know what you mean, but it's not Duval's fault they couldn't keep it between the trees, he did, and won, which remembering that season - he did regularly chuck it off, and Prevot walked out. The boy does have talent though. If the WRC was in ruder health -and 3 car teams he would probably have a full time seat- first choice on Tarmac and maybe a 2/3 on gravel

jacko
11th February 2008, 00:03
same old Duval bashers... Duval is the best man without a full season without doubt, if i'm wright there's a good chance we will see him on a several gravel rounds this season beside the 3 tarmac rounds which are almost certain, if he's in with Stobart-Ford again he will showing a decent and fast performance!
Next to Duval there are so many drivers which had impress me already, some more than others, but to give some on the recent list; Wilks, Meeke, Pressac, Benque, Sola, Vouilloz, Brocolli, Princen, Kopecky, Bouffier, Ampuja, Salo, Haninen, Carllson, Ostberg and probably more drivers i'm forgetting in this moment...

Mickey T
11th February 2008, 18:28
Next to Duval there are so many drivers which had impress me already, some more than others, but to give some on the recent list; Wilks, Meeke, Pressac, Benque, Sola, Vouilloz, Brocolli, Princen, Kopecky, Bouffier, Ampuja, Salo, Haninen, Carllson, Ostberg and probably more drivers i'm forgetting in this moment...

well, you've just filled eight factory teams. even with three-car teams, you've filled five and have a test driver to spare.

at last count, there are four works teams, with only one seat likely to be up for grabs at season's end.

wanna narrow it down a little?

Daniel
11th February 2008, 19:26
same old Duval bashers... Duval is the best man without a full season without doubt

But at a time where works seats are in short supply there's a reason why he's not in for a full time drive. Sure you can bring a guy in for a few rallies but why not have your future number 1 gaining experience of all the rallies? Duval is simply too inconsistent to be a number 2 in the current day. Duval's stocks are probably as high as they ever will be. People like Latvala, Sordo, PG and Atkinson are on the rise. When the current number 1's are gone they will be number 1's.

torsten
12th February 2008, 11:38
Duval is simply too inconsistent to be a number 2 in the current day. Duval's stocks are probably as high as they ever will be. People like Latvala, Sordo, PG and Atkinson are on the rise. When the current number 1's are gone they will be number 1's.

So Atko is consistent ??? :rolleyes:

Lalo
12th February 2008, 13:09
Markko Martin.

As far as I know, he has been offered to drive again by Subaru and he only opted to be their test driver. He should really be back in the WRC, I'm pretty sure we all miss him. But he doesn't seem to want to and we should respect that.

Daniel
12th February 2008, 16:56
I said Atkinson is on the rise......

Brother John
12th February 2008, 17:16
At least 40 drivers should be a works driver. Who? From as much as possible several countries! However It will never happen. :s mokin:

Helstar
12th February 2008, 21:41
As far as I know, he has been offered to drive again by Subaru and he only opted to be their test driver. He should really be back in the WRC, I'm pretty sure we all miss him. But he doesn't seem to want to and we should respect that.
Give him a good car and a good salary and he'll be back, trust me ^^

Kaiser
13th February 2008, 19:32
I am surprised no one has metioned Andreas Mikklesen after his performance in Sweden. Only 18 and I think a bright future is ahead of him. I would love to see Daniel Carlsson get a seat as well. I still think that battle for 3rd between he and Gigi in Sweden in 2006 was great stuff.

Ghostwalker
14th February 2008, 22:18
and EKSTRÖM !!!! =)

agreed :) a multitalent who is good an all surfaces. But I dont think he would be intrested in driving in a non competative car and currently only the citroens and the fords are competative. Also i dont think the Eki would accept a seat at any of Audis competitors?

I would like Audi to skip the Le Mans/GT series and the skoda WRC Challenge and put the money on a new wrc era.

Ghostwalker
14th February 2008, 22:18
and EKSTRÖM !!!! =)

agreed :) Eki is a multitalent who is good an all surfaces. But I dont think he would be intrested in driving in a non competative car and currently only the citroens and the fords are competative. Also i dont think the Eki would accept a seat at any of Audis competitors?

I would like Audi to skip the Le Mans/GT series and the skoda WRC Challenge and put the money on a new wrc era.

pettersolberg29
14th February 2008, 22:23
I'd like to see a Team Norway, with Mikkelsen and Ostberg driving 2 Fords or two Subaru's, depending on who can best adapt to the other vehicle.

pettersolberg29
14th February 2008, 22:26
I am surprised no one has metioned Andreas Mikklesen after his performance in Sweden. Only 18 and I think a bright future is ahead of him. I would love to see Daniel Carlsson get a seat as well. I still think that battle for 3rd between he and Gigi in Sweden in 2006 was great stuff.

Sorry I hadn't seen this!

I agree completely - I've just had a thought that Andreas should replace Companc in Munchi Ford and take part in every rally, with either Henning, Wilson or Villagra with him.

DonJippo
14th February 2008, 23:09
I agree completely - I've just had a thought that Andreas should replace Companc in Munchi Ford and take part in every rally, with either Henning, Wilson or Villagra with him.

Well Mr Companc is Munchi's so do not expect him to be replaced very soon...

Helstar
15th February 2008, 04:42
I would love to see Daniel Carlsson get a seat as well. I still think that battle for 3rd between he and Gigi in Sweden in 2006 was great stuff.
Yes but it was beated by the notorious 0.4" final split between Bosse and Loeb in NZ !
Btw even if he is getting really old now :s I think Andreucci should have another chance, I was seeing a video of him in 2004 Sardinia with an old S1600 Punto: man, he was (is) FAST ! Even beating Gigi with Mitsu Gr.N (who ended 6th in the final standing) ....

Tassie
15th February 2008, 07:08
Have to agree with a lot of want Mickey T said on 30/01. Atkinson, when not going off is putting in better times than Petter. He is deffiantly pushing, which is why he is going off.

I have to say that Ford has the best driver line up, and car, for 2008, with Subaru with the next best. Sordo should be putting in better preformances on gravel. Suzuki have a great driver line up to develop the car, seeing there are many WRC cars that Toni hasn't driven.

I know Mathew has had some bad luck with mechanical issues in past two years, but I would have thought he would have had more points finishes this far into his driving. If you want to compare him with anyone compare him with Atkinson, who had only been driving a rally car for 3 years before getting signed by SRT.

Though who gets a works drive always depends on one thing money.

CABAIO E'LONA
15th February 2008, 07:56
Ramona Karlsson...

kleisj
15th February 2008, 10:02
Jan Kopecky should be in a WRC manufacture seat before any other young hotshot like Ostberg or Mikkelsen. Mikkelsen did good but it was a one rally performance. Kopecky have shown very good performances with a car which was slower than the competition when was fresh out of the box. So even worse, the last 2 years where the Fabia was much older than the other cars and hadn't been developed at all, Kopecky performed really good showing speed and maturity with good decent stage times in almost every surface. Good all rounder performing a bit better on asphalt. I wonder why noone have signed him. I would prefer to see him in the C4 instead of Sordo or at least in a Ford Stobart.
I think Citroen must follow the path of Ford and give to another private team with manufacturer support 2 Citroens. One for Dudu one for Jan....!

Damn their are many good drivers. Even the young blood must be in a 3rd manufacturer car to improve their skills and maturity. Actually maturity because without skills they wouldn't be there on the first place....! Don't think that I don't want to see Ostberg and Mikkelsen as WRC regulars. Specially Ostberg!

AndyRAC
15th February 2008, 11:44
I think Citroen must follow the path of Ford and give to another private team with manufacturer support 2 Citroens. One for Dudu one for Jan....!

Damn their are many good drivers. Even the young blood must be in a 3rd manufacturer car to improve their skills and maturity. Actually maturity because without skills they wouldn't be there on the first place....! Don't think that I don't want to see Ostberg and Mikkelsen as WRC regulars. Specially Ostberg!

Quite agree, imagine it was the only the Ford works team, the WRC would be a sham. Thank Ford, M-Sport, Stobarts, Munchis,etc. Why can't Citroen have a second semi-works team i;e Kronos. The more seats the better. There's far too many talented drivers sitting doing nothing. I suppose in an ideal world drivers like Kopecky, Duval, Meeke, Ostberg, Wilks would all be works drivers - probably as No3 drivers but on some events as a No 2. Although Sordo is good on Tarmac, at the moment he's not quick enough on gravel - Citroen need a gravel expert. If there were 3 car teams this wouldn't be a problem, but as it is the current WRC is just too expensive.

Ghostwalker
15th February 2008, 13:03
Ramona Karlsson...

yeah an all female team with Ramona K and Jennie Lee Hermansson (http://www.jennie-lee.com/) would be nice :) :) and they would be driving for a Volvo or Saab makers team. ;)

Mickey T
17th June 2008, 08:26
so how have everybody's predictions from pre-season (or post monte) been working out?

cali
17th June 2008, 08:41
I'd like to see a Team Norway, with Mikkelsen and Ostberg driving 2 Fords or two Subaru's, depending on who can best adapt to the other vehicle.

I'll second to that, nice idea and good drivers :up:

GruppoB
17th June 2008, 09:12
so how have everybody's predictions from pre-season (or post monte) been working out?

Quite well, put my word behind Hirvonen. Latvalas speed was a surprise to be honest, but glad my boy Mikko is holding out.

Roy
17th June 2008, 10:33

No Wilks... maybe in Subaru M2 (2009)??? I hope.
I look further: Mikkelsen for Stobart in 2009 or with Henning in a Expert team.

DonJippo
17th June 2008, 11:30

You think there is a seat coming available...even during this season...?

MJW
17th June 2008, 11:52
You think there is a seat coming available...even during this season...?
There is some talk here in UK of an addition (not replacement) to the current Subaru line up, possible but unlikely to be Markko Martin, maybe even Wilks........ I think it depends on who you are if this is a bring money deal, with everyone except MM being on the pay as you go option. Xevi Pons also linked to this.

c4
17th June 2008, 12:13
Urmo Aava seems to be the non works star of the season and could play a pivotal role next year for Citroen if they field three manu teams. He deserves to be a works driver able to score manu points and would say Citroen Sport are impressed with his pace on gravel. Also making waves are Ogier and Aigner who must be guaranteed the Citroen B team seats, if it runs next year.

Other notable mentions go to Mikkelsen who probably will be in a Ramsport manu team next year as that would be a logical move for his team. If not then probably manoevred into the Stobart team.

Ostberg is another, he is showing McRae like pace and possibly rumoured that his team could be a manu team next year (conflicting stories though if his team will run one or not), alongside possibly Grondal or even Brynildsen. Ostberg could even be a candidate for the proposed Prodrive B team next year. Also deserving of a place in the Prodrive squad next year is Meeke, who for me edges it over Wilks, if of course DR is serious about having a non paying Brit.

Next years WRC could find itself with a bit more depth if certain B/manu teams materialise, giving some opportunity to deserving cases and even, perhaps, the odd non paying seat.

Brother John
17th June 2008, 12:27
All the WRC Car drivers from the last 5 years! :D

Mickey T
17th June 2008, 17:30
well, there will be a subaru M2 team next year. assuming one of them pays, there's another seat.

right now, would you pay to drive a subaru?

C64WDU
17th June 2008, 18:42
I would Pay Petter to go in the m2 Subaru, & give Wilks or meeke a chance in a full works car.

grugsticles
17th June 2008, 20:27
In the past 12 months he has been very consistant.

kiil
18th June 2008, 23:01
Meeke definitely deserves a chance. That guy is seriously fast.

Buzz Lightyear
18th June 2008, 23:37
Meeke definitely deserves a chance. That guy is seriously fast.

Guys.... if you dont think the UK has got someone good enough to be in the WRC... look at this....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLptg6BYNoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpg9UqYo9jY

I assume you seen my post from the video thread above then!!?? thats vatanen type commitment..

Mirek
19th June 2008, 00:37
Wau, those onboards are realy crazy!

wwbroe
19th June 2008, 10:14
Yeah, that is really some awesome driving of Meeke in this Clio S1600. This guy really deserves a chance at a high level. ;)