PDA

View Full Version : newb questions

Mancinoxvii
28th January 2008, 06:20
Hey, I'm totally new to following the Le Mans series, I just got interested after playing so much Forza 2 on Xbox.

I have some totally newbie questions about the sport for anyone willing to take some time out to answer them. I'll just ask two for now:

Do LMP1 and LMP2 cars race anywhere outside of the Le Mans series? Are these cars only called LMP1 & 2 when they're racing at Le Mans or are they built just for this series and race nowhere else?

Does the Le Mans series race anywhere else besides Circuit de la Sarthe?

If theres some forum posts I should read that cover the basics, let me know so I dont bother everyone with newb questions.

Thanks everyone.

LeonBrooke
28th January 2008, 06:54
Hi new person :)

LMP1 and LMP2 were created by the ACO, the Automobile Club de l'Ouest, the body which runs Le Mans. These rules are used in the 24hrs, the Le Mans Series and the American Le Mans Series.

The Le Mans Series has 1000km races at circuits such as Spa, the Nurburgring, and Monza. The Le Mans 24hrs at La Sarthe isn't part of the series, although there is often overlap in the teams competing.

http://www.lemans-series.com/

Mancinoxvii
28th January 2008, 07:50
Thanks for your response. So to reaffirm, these LMP1 & 2 cars are designed specifically for 24 hrs, Le Mans Series, and American Le Mans?

I'm also assuming that in the other classes, GT1 & GT2 these cars are much more widely raced in other racing series' outside of Le Mans

harvick#1
28th January 2008, 14:30
the GT1 and GT2 cars other series is really just the FIA-GT series, which are the same types of cars.

trumperZ06
28th January 2008, 16:35
;) My understanding is that GT2 cars are very close to the factory specifications.. quite a few modifications are allowed/but still within a "factory" catagory.

GT1 allows many more modifications and really... they only "resemble" the production car on which it is based.

Mancinoxvii
28th January 2008, 17:26
Yes, good point, and for that reason GT2 is naturally my favorite class. I'm more interested in the manufacturer battle over the racing team battle. Unfortunately I missed Le Mans 07' coverage and the official DVD review barely covered GT2 class.

wmcot
29th January 2008, 06:28
Yes, good point, and for that reason GT2 is naturally my favorite class. I'm more interested in the manufacturer battle over the racing team battle. Unfortunately I missed Le Mans 07' coverage and the official DVD review barely covered GT2 class.

You should see if you can make it to the ALMS race in Lime Rock, CT this July 17-18. It would be worth the trip!

Mancinoxvii
29th January 2008, 07:18
Yeah, I went to Limerock once when I was a kid, it was a great time. It also happens to be one of the closest tracks to me.