PDA

View Full Version : Nascar Runs From It's fans

muggle not
27th January 2008, 17:30
http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080127/NRSTAFF/801270332/-1/SPORTS1202
Hardin: NASCAR runs from its fans, and they know it

Ed Hardin
Sunday, Jan. 27, 2008 3:00 am

CHARLOTTE -- Now comes the fun part as we watch NASCAR try to put the cow back in the barn.
The strange admission last week from Brian France that stock car racing's sanctioning body had lost its way in recent years had a lot of people wondering just what the sport is up to. NASCAR is not, nor has it ever been, in the business of looking back. So when France, the third-generation owner of the second-most popular sport in the world, said racing has seen all the change it can stand, you just had to wonder what he was really saying.

What sounded on the surface a lot like a concession to Southerners that he had screwed up their sport was more likely something far more insidious. This sounded a lot like a dreaded vote of confidence for someone about to be fired. France's rambling speech before a room full of media creeps Monday afternoon begged the questions: Just who are NASCAR's core fans now? And would France know one if he ran into him on the street?

NASCAR's core fans are from North Carolina, the state that now has lost two tracks to stock car racing's vision of the future. NASCAR's core fans are from Darlington, S.C., where the legendary track was left for dead three years ago. NASCAR's core fans work at north Georgia service stations and auto parts stores in Virginia and Tennessee. They drive too fast, drink too much, struggle to keep up with their bills and cuss a lot.

They are the very people NASCAR has been running from for about 10 years now. They've put up with a lot in recent seasons, and every one of them could clearly see that NASCAR was losing its way. France listened to no one. The sport kept pushing ahead, racing in places that any fool knew had no business hosting stock car races, and building racetracks that had about as much character as I-95.

Just last October he told reporters: "If we stay still, we fall behind."
In three months he has changed his tune? Not likely. It's far more likely that he took a good look at what's getting ready to happen this year and realized that NASCAR has never changed more in one season to the next than now.

The sport will start next month under a new brand name, the third in five years. It will race its entire schedule with the new Car of Tomorrow, which NASCAR officials were referring as the "Car of Today, or whatever," last week. The car is actually a kit with decals differentiating the makes and whatever. NASCAR's core fans figured that out last year right after Kyle Busch won the car's debut, then cussed it afterward.

Busch is driving for a different team this year, along with what seems like more than half the tour. And that includes the marquee name, Dale Earnhardt Jr., who will drive for Hendrick Motorsports along with his biggest rivals, Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson.

And all the while, the sport continues to attract the kind of drivers that appeal to absolutely no one. Among those going to NASCAR this year will be Dario Franchitti, Jacques Villeneuve, Dan Wheldon, Scott Dixon and Patrick Carpentier, open-wheel drivers who will join Juan Pablo Montoya and Sam Hornish Jr., open-wheel drivers who came on the scene last year. It isn't lost on NASCAR's core fans that these guys are taking the jobs once reserved for Saturday night racers from North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee and Virginia.

The tour is becoming more like open-wheel racing than Saturday night stock car racing. Teams fear the sport is getting closer to Formula One than anything else, and that means racing with money instead of speed and guts. Ray Evernham thinks that would be the downfall of the sport.
"If this becomes a battle of money, then those people in the stands are going to stop watching,'' he said.

Evernham gave up control of his team in the offseason, selling the majority of it to the Canadian investor George Gillette.
Other than all that, nothing has changed since last year. NASCAR will start its season having undergone more alterations in one offseason than in its recent history, which has seen more upheaval than in the first 50-odd years combined. In this, the 60th season of the sport founded by France's grandfather, the changes have already occurred. NASCAR now must convince its fans to ignore the changes, to disregard the fact that they no longer recognize the sport they built with their own hard-earned money and pretend that nothing ever happened.

Attendance is down and TV ratings are down, but fans still pour into Darlington and cows still graze just outside the old track at North Wilkesboro, where grass is growing through the asphalt

RaceFanStan
27th January 2008, 19:00
... but can we even trust what he is saying ? http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/eek.gif
from nascar.com :
Brian France - "Change has been a hot button with the media and [NASCAR],"
France said near the beginning of his remarks Monday afternoon at the NASCAR R&D Center.
RaceFanStan - Change has also been a big issue with the fans,
most fans feel that NASCAR has seen too much change ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

Brian France - "Just so you know how we feel about it, while there's been a lot of change, most of it for the good, the Chase, all the things, there were a lot of changes that were made, had to be made, that were scheduled many, many years ago, like the Car of Tomorrow, which had an eight- or nine-year development cycle ...
RaceFanStan - That sounds to me that Brian France is defending ALL of his changes. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/s.gif

Brian France - "I think what I hope you'll take out of today is we're getting back to the basics,
we're going to try to minimize the change going forward as best we can and
focus on what we've always focused on, which is the best product in the world."
RaceFanStan - Now that Brian France has changed almost everything, can he really be done ???
"back to the basics" has a nice sound to it but with all of the change, is that an attainable goal ??? http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

nascar.com - Much of the change France mentioned in his prepared remarks has been, quite honestly, beyond NASCAR's control.
The sponsorship change from Winston to Nextel and now to Sprint was not NASCAR's idea,
nor was the shift from Busch, the only sponsor NASCAR's second-tier series has ever had, to Nationwide Insurance this year.
RaceFanStan - I'll agree that the series sponsors changing would have happened no matter who was in charge.
Series sponsors changing is NOT an issue IMO. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/business/01/23/bfrance.state.of.sport.business/index.html?

muggle not
27th January 2008, 20:01
The first sentence is what got me:

CHARLOTTE -- Now comes the fun part as we watch NASCAR try to put the cow back in the barn.

Breeze
27th January 2008, 21:23
They lost me (more or less) when they started using templates. Now its more spec than ever. Not exactly stock car racing, is it?

colinspooky
28th January 2008, 15:05
I am no expert. However, it's widely claimed money will destroy the sport. Well it will if you let it. Why would an average fan worry about such things? If a team has a mountain of money they have it for a reason - they win, or do well lots. Sponsors will fall over themselves to throw money at this team. That means lots of rules to ensure the cars are exactly the same to ensure money does not buy better.
Take away all that cash and all teams will be back struggling. I have been watching those Back in the Day shows. Sometimes the winner took the flag many laps ahead of second. Wow, tight racing then. And even back then, we keep hearing the same ole names mentioned by the commentator up front.
The Yarboroughs (sp?) and Allisons are the same as today's Johnsons and Gordons aren't they?
Tight rules means tight racing, or at least should. I don't know the politics of the NASCAR management and be able to compare it to old. But I do know there are lots more people watching the races now than there was during the 70s - just look at all those stand.
As for old tracks closing down, well that is sad, and I assume they are vanishing because people stopped going. NASCAR surely is not going to shut down the most popular races for the hell of it are they?
And by spreading them out across the US means more people in your nation may have the chance of actually going.
Well, that's enough rambling. Hope some of that made sense. Feel free to flame - I can understand better then. Just don't wear those spectacles with the really rose tinted lenses while you do it. :)

Lee Roy
28th January 2008, 15:24
As for old tracks closing down, well that is sad, and I assume they are vanishing because people stopped going.

Bingo. You understand what many others don't.

muggle not
28th January 2008, 16:40
Bingo. You understand what many others don't.
Wrong, Nascar and Bruton stopped putting money into the tracks to keep them competitive because they wanted to go to another fresh market where they could make a killing. it is backfiring on them though in many cases.

Example, Nascar has tried to get a track in New York City as they speculate on huge crowds. If they were sucessful another track would have to bite the dust. Probably Pocono or Martinsville.

Lee Roy
28th January 2008, 17:05
Wrong, Nascar and Bruton stopped putting money into the tracks to keep them competitive because they wanted to go to another fresh market where they could make a killing. it is backfiring on them though in many cases.

Example, Nascar has tried to get a track in New York City as they speculate on huge crowds. If they were sucessful another track would have to bite the dust. Probably Pocono or Martinsville.

Another couple of examples. Darlington and Rockingham had the smallest grandstands of any of the oval tracks that NASCAR visited (approximately 60,000). They couldn't fill them, even for the historic Southern 500. Now that they're gone, everyone bemoans their loss. Maybe if those who bemoan their loss cared enough to buy tickets and attend when they were active, they'd be active today.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
28th January 2008, 17:11
Another couple of examples. Darlington and Rockingham had the smallest grandstands of any of the oval tracks that NASCAR visited (approximately 60,000). They couldn't fill them, even for the historic Southern 500. Now that they're gone, everyone bemoans their loss. Maybe if those who bemoan their loss cared enough to buy tickets and attend when they were active, they'd be active today.

A case of "You dont know what youve got until its gone". Its a Shame.

trumperZ06
28th January 2008, 17:24
;) Good article that sums up the current NA$CAR situation.

Brian France tried to expand into markets that had no "Roots" in Southern Style Stock Car Racing. Sure, new people came out to see & be seen (once or twice).. at the latest & newest event.

After these "new fans" sat thru.. two or maybe three races for...
5 hours or so, watching cars go "round and round", trying to figure out the differences between the drivers & teams, they've moved on to the next... NEW THING.

TV viewing has decreased dramatically... and it is likely to continue to fall. The COT resulted in "spec racing"... the cars all look alike thereby making it hard for new fans to identify different "Brands".

It's going to be interesting to see... what changes are made in the next year or two.

Sparky1329
28th January 2008, 18:13
"Back to basics" is nothing more than a PR buzz phrase. It sounds good but means nothing. The cow has gone over the mountain and she's not coming back. ;)

SOD
28th January 2008, 19:43
NASCAR
Ran
Away

SOD
29th January 2008, 15:31

the difference being that the 60k at Darlington etc were core fans. they weren't going to the NASCAR with ticket freebies because they got lucky and knew someone who knew someone who was giving away free tickets.

As seen in other series that have dwindled, once the sponsors pull out the "red hat" fans follow.

Simply becaue california can pull in 100k newbie does not mean that those newbies will stay loyal

SOD
29th January 2008, 15:33
"Back to basics" is nothing more than a PR buzz phrase. It sounds good but means nothing. The cow has gone over the mountain and she's not coming back. ;)

I've lived long enough to have seen "back to basics" been flung around by those who know very well that their days are numbered.

colinspooky
30th January 2008, 18:00
If they were sucessful another track would have to bite the dust. Probably Pocono or Martinsville.

Never do much like those races - Poc straights waaay too long and boring, and Martin - turns waaaay too tight and slow.

jslone
31st January 2008, 02:17
1 reason why my family in SOuth Carolina ha stopeed going to DArlington is the cost,not just the time,gas and food,but the damned price of the tickets,NAscar does put on a decent show a lot of times,but the cost of tickets is a big big reason of the decline in seats at the tracks.

call_me_andrew
31st January 2008, 06:42
I'm planning on putting a fan survey on the internet sometime around the Daytona 500. I took a bunch of hot button issues that have been pissing off fans to write my rough draft. The hard part is getting all that down to a lean 30 questions.

muggle not
31st January 2008, 14:49
I'm planning on putting a fan survey on the internet sometime around the Daytona 500. I took a bunch of hot button issues that have been pissing off fans to write my rough draft. The hard part is getting all that down to a lean 30 questions.
IMO, 30 questions is way, way, too many. Maximum of 6 to be meaningful.

SOD
31st January 2008, 16:06
1 reason why my family in SOuth Carolina ha stopeed going to DArlington is the cost,not just the time,gas and food,but the damned price of the tickets,NAscar does put on a decent show a lot of times,but the cost of tickets is a big big reason of the decline in seats at the tracks.

The original fans know what value for money is.

call_me_andrew
2nd February 2008, 03:59
IMO, 30 questions is way, way, too many. Maximum of 6 to be meaningful.

Here are a few of the questions I deleted.

The Daytona 500 should be held at night.
Agree strongly Agree slightly Neutral Disagree slightly Disagree strongly

Tracks should be modified to increase passing.

Which race is of greater significance?
Daytona 500 Brickyard 400 Other

The "powers that be" are interested in the opinions of race fans.