PDA

View Full Version : Four Lap Qualifying on Ovals

BobbyC
23rd January 2008, 18:39
The IRL announced that qualifying on ovals will be one-shot with a blind draw, but with a major change.

Qualifying will be four laps, and will be an average of the four laps.

The move standardises the 11 ovals on the IRL schedule with all qualifying to be of the average of four laps.

Only one attempt will be permitted for the four-lap sessions and it should be interesting to see what happens since now, qualifying will be based on four laps, and not one. A banzai lap in a better-lap format is now no longer feasible since the driver now must turn four consistent laps. Flyers will not be acceptable.

infoxicated
23rd January 2008, 23:02
I think this is a good thing - it means qualifying will be a better example of the true performance of the car, not a banzai hot-lap that burns up the tires.

mark123
24th January 2008, 02:59
i agree

DanicaFan
24th January 2008, 06:53
I think it will be more interesting now too.

Now I can see Danica run a good 4 laps!

Wraith
29th January 2008, 08:21
Better purity of racing, going back to the progressive era notions of the car itself. Excellent concept, and people can finally get one answer when they ask how Indycar qualifications are done for ovals, rather than Indy's Rules, and then the Series' Rules.

beachgirl
29th January 2008, 12:31
I think this is a good thing - it means qualifying will be a better example of the true performance of the car, not a banzai hot-lap that burns up the tires.

I think it will also be a great example of the true performance of the capabilities of the drivers. As in, those who can push for one fast lap vs. those who can put an intelligent qualifying effort together. It won't be solely about speed, the car, and sucking it up for one lap anymore.

Lee Roy
29th January 2008, 17:48
Why put all that effort into qualifying when it really doesn't mean anything? When was the last time anyone who wanted to be in an IRL race didn't make the field?

call_me_andrew
29th January 2008, 20:36
It means who gets to start first, that's why it's important.

I like the new system.

cobre
2nd February 2008, 19:04
I like the change, with more emphasis on driver consistancy and a longer duration on car set up verses one lap fliers

Speedworx
2nd February 2008, 19:26
I like this change.