PDA

View Full Version : Eric Clapton

pino
23rd January 2008, 12:21
As I am trying to "rebuild" my music collection (was all stolen juring xmas) I am now focused on him, and I must say that this Guy is a music-Genius. Anyone agree with me ? :D

Donney
23rd January 2008, 12:33
I do, although I don't like his voice very much.

Great guitar player, some of his songs are just wonderful.

GridGirl
23rd January 2008, 13:12
I suppose I dont mind his music.

On a side note, I know he once tried to buy my local football club but they turned down his offer. He threw a bit of a hissy fit and now supports Chelsea. I don't think you can ever put your trust in anyone who swaps their favourite football team. :p

Magnus
23rd January 2008, 13:19
I read somewhere that he opposed to being ranked as the fourth best guitarr player through all times (by Rollings stones mag) since he new classic guitarr players, from spain mostly I believe(?) who just where waaay better than him.
But then again: who is the best guitarr player? It is impossible to tell.

pino
23rd January 2008, 13:25
I agree his voice isn't the best I've heard, but his Guitar is just amazing, and He's right now on top of my guitar-players list. The best CD I've got from him is "Live in the Seventies" a 4 cd's box...a music masterpiece :s mokin:

Donney
23rd January 2008, 14:47
It is hard to tell who is the best, I guess it all comes down to personal taste, besides those guitar players, which I am sure are something incredible, might not be able to play the blues as he does. But it is nice to see he can be humble.

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd January 2008, 15:46
I regard Hendrix as the best ever.

Storm
23rd January 2008, 16:30
The best guitarist question is very subjective....like Donney said it all depends on what you personally like in terms of genre of music...of course there are some guitarists that most will probably agree on as being "one of the greats", like many things that Hendrix did with the guitar were not seen before him, or the fluid & melodic playing of David Gilmour or the crazy skills of Ritchie Blackmore.

Clapton is certainly very good but I am not a huge fan of his music.

Magnus
23rd January 2008, 16:33
Personall favs who I think are awsome:

Slash, John Frusciante(RHCP), Yngwie Malmsten, Kirk Hammett (metallica), Mark Knopfler, well yeah.
Drummers: Vinnie paul (pantera), lars Ulrich(Metallica), Igor Cavalera(sepultura) and more
Vocals: Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam), Cobain, Layne Staley (Alice in Chains)
well, there are a lot other obv.

Then there is the old school aswell, with folks like Gene Krupa

schmenke
23rd January 2008, 18:12
I regard Hendrix as the best ever.

Agreed.

edv
23rd January 2008, 18:27
+1 for Hendrix. He's in the pantheon with Clapton, Page and Stevie-Ray Vaughan

Breeze
23rd January 2008, 18:40
............... or the fluid & melodic playing of David Gilmour .....................Clapton is certainly very good but I am not a huge fan of his music.
Saw on RAVE, an HD channel, Gilmour's concert filmed in Albert Hall. Gotta say, I love his guitar playing. I've always been a greater fan of melodic soloing over speed riffs. I prefer listening to a guitarist who takes his solos into unexpected, even unpredictable areas while still staying in touch with the main melodic theme of a song.

Who's the best? Too subjective, gotta agree. It'd be easier to answer "who's the fastest?", "Who's the most unique?", "Who has the best technique", parce it out like that.

A song comes to mind, 'Mediterranean Sundance', a duet featuring Al di Meola and Paco de Lucia. Both guitarist play off one another's solos in a mind boggling give and take of guitar virtuosity. But while di Meola's playing is technically cleaner than de Lucia's, for my money Paco is more harmonious and more satisfying to listen too. Agree or desagree with me, they're both great, but that's what I like.

MrJan
23rd January 2008, 20:42
+1 for Hendrix. He's in the pantheon with Clapton, Page and Stevie-Ray Vaughan

I'd probably prefer SRV out of that lot. He's not as groundbreaking but I nearly always like his versions of Hendrix songs more than the original.

Other names that should be on the list: Robert Cray, B.B King and Neil Young (Like A Hurricane is immense)

schmenke
23rd January 2008, 22:28
Hendrix was left handed... he played a right-handed guitar. Think about that for a minute ;)

maxu05
23rd January 2008, 22:42
Carlos Santana has to be one of the best, surprised no one has mentioned him already.

veeten
24th January 2008, 00:34
Carlos Santana has to be one of the best, surprised no one has mentioned him already.

Original classic: Black Magic Woman. Pure Wicked Play :D

New Classic: Bella. The modern definition of 'Quiet Cool'. :cool:

ShiftingGears
24th January 2008, 02:31
Guthrie Govan!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoH_jWdJgF4

Immense technical ability, phrasing and melodies.

Shawn Lane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4naGFSdu38M

Simply immense.

I have an album with Eric Clapton and BB King but I'm not a huge fan of it.

leopard
24th January 2008, 03:03
I don't mind listen to oldies, people usually listen more to those were famous when they were young. ;)

Rudy Tamasz
24th January 2008, 08:18
Clapton is okay, but his blues sounds too poppy to me. When it comes to blues guitar Johnny Winter is king.

pino
24th January 2008, 09:34
For what I can read here not many agrees with me then :( Anyway if you just like him a bit I reccomend these 3 album : 24 Nights double live CD, 461 Ocean Boulevard de Luxe edition, EC Was Here (remastered) give it a try :D

MrJan
24th January 2008, 09:39
Hendrix was left handed... he played a right-handed guitar. Think about that for a minute ;)

Yeah but he learnt on it so it was just what he considered a guitar to be like, to himit was the right way up.

Also a mention has to go to Robert Johnson, here's a man that has inspired most music to date. People that name the Stones as an influence don't realise that Johnson and other early blues men has heavily influenced many of the Stones greatest songs.

leopard
24th January 2008, 10:16
I listen to him ... if I happen to listen radio playing his songs or in compilation album I can't avoid to listen :D

Donney
24th January 2008, 11:38
I love the 24 nights CD

airshifter
24th January 2008, 14:04
Pino,

I've always enjoyed Claptons music. He has a unique style within his genre, and rarely plays anything the same way, he always adds something different in his flair.

I once saw him in LA at a fairly small bar type place. From what I understand it was one of his older days starting points, and on occasion he would still play there. We were just hanging out and saw the notice posted on the door. Assuming it was another Eric Clapton, we stepped in and asked one of the waitresses. Nope, the Eric Clapton. I think the cover was about $5, the place filled solid in 30 minutes or so, and he played for a couple hours. Great memory for me.

24th January 2008, 19:31
Carlos Santana is my first choice. (Black Magic Woman, Migra and Sambi Pa Ti being favourites). I think he is coming to NZ this year. What is the collective term for records, tapes and cds - do we say albums?

edv
24th January 2008, 22:42
Some places would call that a 'discography'

pino
25th January 2008, 06:03
Pino,

I've always enjoyed Claptons music. He has a unique style within his genre, and rarely plays anything the same way, he always adds something different in his flair.

I totally agree and that's the reason I am buying a new album of him everyday right now :D How many do you have and which one you like the most ?

I once saw him in LA at a fairly small bar type place. From what I understand it was one of his older days starting points, and on occasion he would still play there. We were just hanging out and saw the notice posted on the door. Assuming it was another Eric Clapton, we stepped in and asked one of the waitresses. Nope, the Eric Clapton. I think the cover was about $5, the place filled solid in 30 minutes or so, and he played for a couple hours. Great memory for me.

Lucky you, hopefully I'll have the chance to watch him "live" once, before he retire. What year was that you saw him ?

leopard
25th January 2008, 07:19
Does he release new album out everyday? ;)

Camelopard
26th January 2008, 00:03
I like his early stuff in Cream, in fact when I first bought a CD player, Strange Brew was the first CD that I bought. Crossroads would be top of my 10 "Desert Island Discs". White Room a close second.

I also like the stuff he did with Derek and the Dominoes and not forgetting John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.

Saw him in Canberra about 10 years ago. Perfunctuary would be the word to best describe the concert. He came out sang a few songs, had 2 encores (I think) then dissapeared, Not really worth the money for the ticket, no atmosphere.... it seemed to him it was just a job. The backup vocalists were cute though!

Camelopard
26th January 2008, 00:12
Best guitarists probably belong in a separate thread, anyway some of my favourites in no particular order are Duanne Alman, Frank Zappa, Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, SRV, Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani, Carlos Santana, Buddy Guy, Freddy King, Peter Green, Johnny Winter, Ry Cooder, BB King, Hendrix, Steve Vai and many many others..........................

pino
26th January 2008, 08:37
Talking about Santana, the best album I have is a double CD live called Lotus, not only is a great concert but sound's quality is amazing, never heard before from a live album. Absolutely a must buy !!! :s mokin:

Breeze
26th January 2008, 14:59
Shawn Lane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4naGFSdu38M

Simply immense.

Thanks for that. I've never even heard of this guy. He reminds me a bit of Pat Metheny, but not so 'far out'.

Canada Cornrow
29th January 2008, 04:34
A good overview of his career would be the 4CD set "Crossroads". I also recommend his autobiography.

pino
29th January 2008, 06:45
A good overview of his career would be the 4CD set "Crossroads". I also recommend his autobiography.

You're right but Crossroads2 it's better... believe me ;)

Donney
29th January 2008, 09:32
You're right but Crossroads2 it's better... believe me ;)

Great pino, now I have to buy the 2nd set :mad: and there I was thinking the 1st one was the best. :dozey:

harsha
29th January 2008, 09:56
one of my fav guitarists

other guitarists i like are Shawn Lane,Mclaughlin,Petrucci,Michael Romeo,Blackmore,Glenn Tipton,Page,Becker,Friedman

a bit of a soft spot for Maiden's Adrian Smith

pino
29th January 2008, 11:29
Great pino, now I have to buy the 2nd set :mad: and there I was thinking the 1st one was the best. :dozey:

Sorry amigo but believe me, Crossroads2 is a MASTERPIECE, wait until you hear the 24 min guitar duet with Carlos Santana in track called "Eyesight to the Blind/Why does love got to be so sad :s mokin:

Donney
29th January 2008, 11:30
I'm sure it is, I'll trust you here, now I have to buy it.

:)

pino
29th January 2008, 11:35
I'm sure it is, I'll trust you here, now I have to buy it.

:)

Great move, btw my fave track of the entire CD box, is Willie and the Hand Jive/Get ready (11 min long) :D

Norwegian Blue
9th February 2008, 23:04

Strung Left Handed ;)

I must admit I've been warming to mr John Mayer recently, was never into him until I found a live broadcast of the John Mayer Trio on youtube and it was absolutley smoking, like sombody let him of the leash...

If you like the blues, but with a ton of soul and groove then Matt Schofield is well worth checking out, as is Ian Siegal, both have plenty up on youtube.