PDA

View Full Version : H.A. "Humpy" Wheeler For President

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
22nd January 2008, 14:08
"We need to get back to banjos and get away from the violins," said H.A. "Humpy" Wheeler, president of Lowe's Motor Speedway. "We got a little too fancy there for a while. There were all kinds of forces moving in different directions to make it fancy. It's not a fancy sport. It's guys with big hands getting sweaty and getting out there knocking each other around, and all-American fans having a good time. A lot of things we tried to introduce into this just flat didn't work, and aren't going to work. I think that's something [France] certainly realizes now. This is meat and potatoes. This is not caviar and smoked salmon."

Toward that end, Wheeler said the start times for many Sprint Cup races this coming season will be earlier, a departure from the mid-afternoon green flags used to try and entice West Coast viewers. "I think we all yielded to pressure from the networks a little more than we should have," Wheeler said. "We paid the price for it, and we're getting back to sanity again."

Thank god someone has finally realized.

RaceFanStan
22nd January 2008, 15:04
I'm not sure we need a showman in the White House ...
of course anyone would be better than the idiot that is there now ...
2008 isn't offering many good choices for President, sad thing is that the best choice is in the back. :s

Lee Roy
22nd January 2008, 15:20
Gotta agree with Humpy. The later starts are rediculous. It discourages me from wanting to actually attend races. Haven't been to Dover for a couple of years now.

Sparky1329
22nd January 2008, 19:33
2008 isn't offering many good choices for President, sad thing is that the best choice is in the back. :s

I wish I could second this entire post 50 times. ;)

harvick#1
22nd January 2008, 19:49

if you think Bush has been bad, wait till Hillary is President :s

might as well move to Canada

BobbyC
22nd January 2008, 21:34
The 2 PM green flags made some sense, if you asked me, with certain areas.
One rule I would say is no starts before 1 PM local time, regardless of where you are.
Some starts were closer to 2:30 PM last year.

Now Atlanta I can understand why they started at 2:30 last year,
as the races were in Daylight Savings Time when they previously were not,
and so the 2:15 PM starts were actually 15 minutes earlier than in the past because of the DST change.
Do you remember in 2006 when the fall race started at what would now be 4 PM EDT in Atlanta?

Jonesi
22nd January 2008, 21:37
I liked the later starts. I'm a night owl who's on the west coast. (BTW it's only about 3 races that will be moved earlier.)

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
23rd January 2008, 12:10
Some of the late races are a pain here. races used to star at about 5-6pm and races would finish at about 9-10pm. Now it starts at 7-8pm and finishes 11-12pm and if we get loads of cautions or red flags its 1-2am finishes sometimes.

call_me_andrew
25th January 2008, 03:22
I think it's better to start early. I remember when all the races started at 1PM Eastern. Those were good, consistant days.

Yeah, but think of the awesome entrance he'd make at the State of the Union Address.