PDA

View Full Version : IPS

sanguin
21st January 2008, 16:26
What about Camara and Cunningham? They were dumped by AGR for Matos.

2 for 1.

Alfa Fan
21st January 2008, 19:24
http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/300W/images3.deviantart.com/i/2004/111/0/e/Don__t_feed_the_Troll.jpg

mark123
22nd January 2008, 02:32
cunningham was the first name that came to mind when i heard the news about matos. i don't know how long a bloke can keep throwing money at a dream that might not ever happen

keysersoze
24th January 2008, 20:30
What about Camara and Cunningham? They were dumped by AGR for Matos.

2 for 1.

Dubious math there, sanguin. CCWS ended up with ZERO.

You seem to be running out of material. :rolleyes:

infoxicated
25th January 2008, 12:56
The IPS should be awesome this year - at double header events those packed fields could leave the ICS looking a little... wanting.

pvtjoker
25th January 2008, 20:42
Camara hasn't done a thing since moving to AGR. Why keep him around?

Wraith
29th January 2008, 03:58
Wouldn't it be something if the future of IPS was, in fact, the real future of ICS, rather than the notion of an unified series with CCWS. I want to see the latter...but IPS is literally up-and-comers, new teams clawing their way up.

mark123
29th January 2008, 22:20
is it possible that they make the ips cars a little faster and sexier, and then make indy cars a lot cheaper (similar to ips) and then combine the two series and have 30 full time cars. is this something worth considering? for the fans, is there a big difference between watching an IRL car at 220mph vs an IPS car at 195mph?

BoilerIMS
30th January 2008, 15:23
for the fans, is there a big difference between watching an IRL car at 220mph vs an IPS car at 195mph?

Yes, because at Indy, 195mph is no faster than the NASCAR land yachts.

keysersoze
30th January 2008, 16:09
Big difference between an ICS car and an IPS car at a track like Indy. Visually and audibly, the Indycar is spectacular, not at all the "crapwagon" some claim. The IPS car seems much slower, and it's throatier note not anywhere near as pleasing.

CART cars circa 1997-1999 were better . . . but not by as much as one would think.

At Nashville, and I'm sure at other similar tracks, I have to say the IPS cars were much more impressive and fun to watch.

BoilerIMS
31st January 2008, 15:59
The IPS car seems much slower, and it's throatier note not anywhere near as pleasing.

CART cars circa 1997-1999 were better . . . but not by as much as one would think.

You hit on something critical here: The IPS car has a cross-plane V8, like a production engine whereas the ICS car has a racing-style flat-plane V8. That crankshaft arrangement gives the cars different sounds. Interestingly, the CCF/crapwagon community are still say the IRL car sound awful. I would agree the early IRL cars did sound awful, but they were cross-plane V8s. Today's IRL/ICS cars sound a lot like the late-period CART cars, just minus the turbo and a few thousand revs.

bennybigb
31st January 2008, 17:19
I think IRL cars sound like Kuzus, but what really gets me is how hedious looking they are. I guess it's up to personal preference, but I can't see how anyone could find beauty in such an aweful looking car. I'm not trying to pick on the IRL, I feel the same way about the Daytona Prototypes.

Now the IPS cars are pretty sweet looking, and I am excited about the 2008 season, especially the roadcourses.

mark123
31st January 2008, 20:45
the current a1gp cars are the worst looking OW cars around - they make the irl cars look good!!

45 Below
31st January 2008, 22:16
I agree. It was all because the Sheik who first bankrolled the series wanted a car that looked like a shark!! At least they provide some good racing.

With Ferrari playing such a big hand next season hopefully they will come up with a better looking design, without sacrificing the ability to race close.

keysersoze
1st February 2008, 00:54
Agreed, the ICS cars look awful . . . on TV. In person--I know how strange this sounds--they look much much better.

bennybigb
2nd February 2008, 22:27
Really?

That wasn't my experiance. I was not aware of how ugly they were until I went to Indy for the first time. I was completely stunned by the cars.

I guess every race fan has their own personal reasons for liking racing, I just didn't know how important style and sound is to me, in addition to close racing, speed and beer of course....

mark123
5th February 2008, 03:27
Williams on target
Teenager Marc Williams is the latest Kiwi motor racing driver set for an international career after being offered a two-year contract to compete in the 2008 Indy Pro Series (IPS) in the US with the Target Chip Ganassi team. Williams,18, ran a limited programme in the IPS last year and caught the eye of Ganassi after breezing through his rookie test and having two top 10 finishes. Williams will leave for the United States at the end of February.

speeddurango
5th February 2008, 09:09
I guess it's down to personal tastes, but IMO A1GP cars actually look good. The car looks the worst is IndyCar and Champ Car DP01 came second on that list, oh and how did we get onto the topic of what car looks worse?Back on topic, isn't Matoes joining AGR's IndyCar team after Indy? So there should still be some seats left for the 2, anyway, it's going to be a fun season. I've not actually watched an IPS race at Nashville, but I'm looking forward to it this season, it's one track that actually interests me the most when open wheel cars race on it and with less aero turbulance in IPS, I guess there might have been some good racing going over there? I've got to find some videos of it on Indycar.com now.