PDA

View Full Version : Would the People who Defended Nigel Stepney's Credibiity please Stand Up?

21st January 2008, 14:38
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64770

Mark
21st January 2008, 14:39
Former Ferrari mechanic Nigel Stepney says he never expected the information he gave to McLaren chief designer Mike Coughlan to be used by the team to gain an advantage.

The mind boggles :crazy:

21st January 2008, 14:42
The mind boggles :crazy:

And to think some people thought it was unacceptable for Jean Todt to say that Stepney 'lost his mind'?

ioan
21st January 2008, 14:55

You made my day! ;)

SGWilko
21st January 2008, 16:59
I think Stepney would make a fine partner to a certain B Spears right now...... ;)

RaceFanStan
21st January 2008, 17:32

Excerpt :
By Jonathan Noble ------------- Monday, January 21st 2008, 10:32 GMT
Former Ferrari mechanic Nigel Stepney says he never expected the information he gave to McLaren chief designer Mike Coughlan to be used by the team to gain an advantage .....
As an "outsider" my opinion may not have much merit but ...
I have to ask what did Stepney think the information would be used for ?
Could he be so foolish as to think that McLaren wouldn't use vital information ?

Bagwan
21st January 2008, 17:40
I postulated that Stepney was using the plans for credibility when asking Coughlan to join him in leaving for Honda in the beginning of this mess .

He was a fool to try this on , and a fool for thinking it wouldn't be used , but it might just be that this was the original plan .
When Honda's Fry didn't bite , they went to plan B , which involved current race strategy and mysterious white powder .

trumperZ06
21st January 2008, 18:08
[quote="Bagwan"]I postulated that Stepney was using the plans for credibility when asking Coughlan to join him in leaving for Honda in the beginning of this mess .

;) My thoughts too !!!

That's about the only likely scenario possible... without concluding they were simply Idiots.

Seems as though... Stepney & Coughan were plotting together... hoping to join Honda's opperation.

wmcot
21st January 2008, 20:04
Good thing he wasn't giving nuclear secrets to Iran with the idea that they would never be used!!!

CNR
21st January 2008, 20:11
i am sure he could have got a job at any other team with out the technical dossier after bing part of that Dreamteam.

Nigel Stepney denies responsibility for McLaren punishment in spy scandal

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5h0s5kOp3TJOaY6KVMoc4FkKMy_4A

woody2goody
21st January 2008, 22:20
It seems to me that he's a bit of an idiot, and in light of those two fools plotting together, makes me believe that no one team should have been punished for this debacle.

tinchote
22nd January 2008, 03:46
Fact is that people changes teams all the time, from drivers to cooks, and most of them do not start a big scandal when dealing with another team. So I would have to conclude that Stepney is indeed an idiot :mark:

wmcot
22nd January 2008, 05:54
It seems to me that he's a bit of an idiot, and in light of those two fools plotting together, makes me believe that no one team should have been punished for this debacle.

But how smart is the team that illegally uses the data from an "idiot?"

22nd January 2008, 12:17
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64789

"Don't get me wrong, Formula One I've worked in for many years. I've enjoyed it, I've made a living out of it, it's been a very good experience in life, but I think I prefer to go into a sort of a grass roots racing again."

Hmm, like anyone in F1 was going to touch him with a barge-pole after Spygate anyway?

Robinho
22nd January 2008, 12:31
wouldn't matter if they did, he's been banned from working in F1 for lfe

22nd January 2008, 12:36
wouldn't matter if they did, he's been banned from working in F1 for lfe

Not yet he hasn't. The FIA hearing inviting Stepney to explain why he shouldn't face a 'lengthy ban' has not taken place.

More pressingly, he will be in an Italian courtroom in the next 12 months.

Robinho
22nd January 2008, 12:48
i did wonder, but there is a throwaway line in the middle of the ITV-F1 report on the same that says he has been, which now appears to have been changed.

i'll be interested to see if anything comes out of the case, i still feel that there is plenty more we don't know about what happened which could be quite juicy, although i doubt anything that will salvage any of the damaged reputations to date

samuratt
22nd January 2008, 12:52
This guy, judging by his own comments, has lost his mind.

The way I see it is that he passed technical data in order to gain money (by selling the secrets document or by achieving a better job at another team).

markabilly
22nd January 2008, 13:16
"I think, at the end of this year or at the end of 2007, I was looking to get out of Ferrari anyway; whether it was going to be in Formula One I wasn't quite sure. I think Formula One was going away from a direction I really wanted to go."

Where?? to being honest and transparent

N. Jones
22nd January 2008, 14:19
Yikes.... this whole thing is such a mess....

And, I must agree with the words posted here. Did he really think any engineer would take specs from a rival car and just use to jump up and down and scream - "Mommmy, Mommy, looky what Ferrari is doing!!!"???

Roamy
22nd January 2008, 17:08
Not yet he hasn't. The FIA hearing inviting Stepney to explain why he shouldn't face a 'lengthy ban' has not taken place.

More pressingly, he will be in an Italian courtroom in the next 12 months.

I would not want to be in a italian court room on charges that I ****ed Ferrari!!

woody2goody
23rd January 2008, 02:51
But how smart is the team that illegally uses the data from an "idiot?"

I suppose they're quite smart if they don't get caught lol.

However it seems that there were 3 people in this chain that weren't mentally 100% last year, and they were the ones that were implicated in it the most.

Stepney - Coughlan - Alonso

I mean Fernando can be added to the list for his attempted bribery of Ron Dennis.

Ferrari can feel betrayed and angry and they have been unfairly treated by their own employee.

Maybe the only consolation is the 'help' they receive from the F.I.A.

MAX_THRUST
23rd January 2008, 12:20
But yet apparently Stepney was the one that brought the Ferrai illegal floor to the FIA and Rons attention thus whistle blowing on his own team,

Then suddenly he's getting the boot from Ferrari, and being discredited.

I'm onclined not to believe the propaganda from Ferrari just yet. They have been clearly trying to destroy Stepneys character prior to any court hearing. Guilty or not, Ferrari aren't playing by the rules much are they?

Further more to believe that information has only gone one way in this whole situation is daft. Ofcourse Ferrari were aware of some of the MErcs details...Rerrari were just better at using it discretely.

Im not anti Ferrari, but this past year they tested my understanding of them and there ways with the FIA. They have also said an awful lot about Stepney in public, which until the court case happens, shouldn't happen, also no italian court is going to rule against Ferrari are they, so how fair will his court hearing be?????

23rd January 2008, 12:33
Then suddenly he's getting the boot from Ferrari, and being discredited.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61240

"I did not take any designs away from Ferrari. Someone passed on the designs but it wasn't me,"

but then......

"My original [plan], or my ideas, were to make contact with somebody"

He has discredited himself without the help of Ferrari. Ferrari certainly did not make those statements.

Unless you think that lying is a good way to gain credibility?

As for the fair trail.....it is quite possibly a fair point (and probably his only hope of acquittal), but maybe, just maybe, he should have thought about that before beginning his self-destructive exercise?

seppefan
23rd January 2008, 16:36
Come on, he is not an idiot, he is a LIAR.

ioan
23rd January 2008, 17:52

Right, and a bad one on top of that! ;)

wmcot
24th January 2008, 01:08

What? He's not talented enough to be both?

Garry Walker
31st January 2008, 10:29
I will just bring this up again, where it surely deserves to bea.

555-04Q2
31st January 2008, 11:18
C'mon. He's a stand up guy :p :

31st January 2008, 14:06

"Former Ferrari mechanic Nigel Stepney will return to employment in motorsport as the Director of Race Technologies at on-board camera company Gigawave."

Picture the scene....

On the first day of his appointment, the Managing Director will show Stepney his office. Stepney looks around, tries out the chair, takes in the view and then looks at his desk.

"Hey, where's the telephone & computer?" he asks.

"We thought it would be best if you didn't use them" comes the reply.

BDunnell
31st January 2008, 17:27

"Former Ferrari mechanic Nigel Stepney will return to employment in motorsport as the Director of Race Technologies at on-board camera company Gigawave."

Picture the scene....

On the first day of his appointment, the Managing Director will show Stepney his office. Stepney looks around, tries out the chair, takes in the view and then looks at his desk.

"Hey, where's the telephone & computer?" he asks.

"We thought it would be best if you didn't use them" comes the reply.

:laugh:

And the damage that can be done to an on-board camera by pouring white powder into it is quite considerable.

BeansBeansBeans
31st January 2008, 20:57
The Australian Grand Prix, 2007, 12 laps in...

Stepney: Mike, Raikkonen will be stopping on lap 19. I repeat lap 19.

Coughlan: Thanks Nige. That'll be really useful info for our meeting with Nick Fry in a few weeks. Until then, I'll keep it under my hat.

Daniel
11th February 2008, 15:13
The Australian Grand Prix, 2007, 12 laps in...

Stepney: Mike, Raikkonen will be stopping on lap 19. I repeat lap 19.

Coughlan: Thanks Nige. That'll be really useful info for our meeting with Nick Fry in a few weeks. Until then, I'll keep it under my hat.
Apologies for bringing up an old thread but....

It quite funny to think that people believed that information was used in any way other than purely to gain a competitive advantage.

Of course it was Ferrari who engineered all of this ;)

SGWilko
11th February 2008, 16:43
Of course it was Ferrari who engineered all of this ;)

Naturally, It's a matter of course to 'give away' all your closely guarded secrets to the opposition.......

It is easy to become a conspiracy theorist and suggest this was of Ferrari's doing, but I really think that is just a little too 'Buck Rogers' for it to be plausible........

Daniel
11th February 2008, 18:02
Naturally, It's a matter of course to 'give away' all your closely guarded secrets to the opposition.......

It is easy to become a conspiracy theorist and suggest this was of Ferrari's doing, but I really think that is just a little too 'Buck Rogers' for it to be plausible........

Just a bit ;) I'm quite sure that IF Ferrari had given their secrets away they'd have had Ron's team banned after the first hearing.

Valve Bounce
12th February 2008, 02:10
This guy has a great future as a Real Estate Agent, or a "Consultant" in a used car dealership. Other alernatives include telemarketting non existing shares from Bangkok, or selling existing bridges (Brooklyn Bridge) in the United States.

SGWilko
12th February 2008, 09:03
This guy has a great future as a Real Estate Agent, or a "Consultant" in a used car dealership. Other alernatives include telemarketting non existing shares from Bangkok, or selling existing bridges (Brooklyn Bridge) in the United States.

Apparently, he has a Nigerian cousin who wants to deposit $19M in my bank account.........

wmcot
12th February 2008, 22:48
Apparently, he has a Nigerian cousin who wants to deposit $19M in my bank account.........

Hey, me too! What an amazing coincidence!

15th February 2008, 11:35
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65145

'In a statement issued by Stepney's solicitors Coyle White Devine on Friday, it was made clear that he was eager for the hearing to take place so he could clear his name.

"Despite having to endure months of unfounded allegations, Mr Stepney has maintained a dignified silence, secure in the knowledge that he would, one day, be able to explain his position and offer a perspective based on more than 30 years as a Formula One 'insider'," said the statement.'

Unfounded allegations & a dignified silence?

He admitted on TV that he had sent info to Coughlan.

And to think that some thought he was credible and it was unfounded to suggest he had 'lost his mind'.

wmcot
15th February 2008, 19:47
And to think that some thought he was credible and it was unfounded to suggest he had 'lost his mind'.

From his statement, that's beginning to sound more and more true! :)

DimitraF1
16th February 2008, 07:48
ok they stand up :P

markabilly
16th February 2008, 15:29

Hey, me too! What an amazing coincidence!
I was wondering where my $38 million went......

Tazio
16th February 2008, 15:39
I was wondering where my $38 million went......
*******s! I receive about 3 or 4 of those a month!

SGWilko
19th February 2008, 10:37
Now that Nigel Stepney is being questioned by the Italian Fuzz, do you suppose more Ferrari employees will be implicated in this mess?

ArrowsFA1
19th February 2008, 11:13
According to Stepney's lawyer (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65212):
"When questioned my client rejected the accusation of having given Coughlan the 780-page dossier with Ferrari projects to give to McLaren. There were always contacts between them, but there never was a hand-over of written documents...It's true that Nigel met Coughlan in Barcelona last spring to organize a move to Honda. They scribbled some drawings, that's it. In fact Nigel struggled to identify those 780 pages because he never had them at his disposal. Maybe all that material got stolen, but that has nothing to do with Stepney. This is why he's disappointed with Coughlan and his contradicting statements, while Stepney's statements to the magistrate are consistent with those given to the FIA."

Tazio
19th February 2008, 12:14
According to Stepney's lawyer (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65212):
Stepney's Lawyer is slick!
Like Bertolino Olive Oil!

ioan
19th February 2008, 12:15
So, first he acknowledged that he gave documents to Coughlan when they met in Spain, now he denies everything.
He's done!

Daniel
19th February 2008, 12:24
So, first he acknowledged that he gave documents to Coughlan when they met in Spain, now he denies everything.
He's done!
I predict a swift onset of amnesia :)

Who or who is Formula 1? :confused:

Mark
19th February 2008, 12:25
Pleading insanity is the best way to go now ;)

ioan
19th February 2008, 13:58
Pleading insanity is the best way to go now ;)

That might be the only thing that will help him no to go to jail, ofcourse he will have to go to to the madhouse.
Each with his preferences I suppose! :D

Tazio
20th February 2008, 02:48
Gazzetta reports that there is a possibility Coughlan and Stepney will be interrogated at the same time, face-to-face.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65212

Does Italy have Court TV? I would love to watch this interrogation!

wmcot
20th February 2008, 08:08
He's done!

I wouldn't expect him to come down with a sudden case of honesty right now!

ArrowsFA1
20th February 2008, 11:45
Specifically, has he ever acknowledged that he gave the 780-page dossier to Coughlan? That is what his lawyer is talking about in that statement, not documents in general.

Has he ever denied giving some documents to Coughlan?

ioan
20th February 2008, 12:29
Specifically, has he ever acknowledged that he gave the 780-page dossier to Coughlan? That is what his lawyer is talking about in that statement, not documents in general.

Has he ever denied giving some documents to Coughlan?

Didn't you post on this same page the following quote from his lawyer:

There were always contacts between them, but there never was a hand-over of written documents...

And there was an article where Stepney was describing how Coughlan took documents from him (NS) while they were driving to the airport.

ArrowsFA1
20th February 2008, 12:46
Didn't you post on this same page the following quote from his lawyer.
Yes

And there was an article where Stepney was describing how Coughlan took documents from him (NS) while they were driving to the airport.
Yes, you may mean this one (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19721.html).

However, my original question to you remains - Specifically, has he ever acknowledged that he gave the 780-page dossier to Coughlan? That is what his lawyer is talking about in that statement, not documents in general.

ioan
20th February 2008, 13:09
However, my original question to you remains - Specifically, has he ever acknowledged that he gave the 780-page dossier to Coughlan? That is what his lawyer is talking about in that statement, not documents in general.

He acknowledged that Coughlan took Ferrari technical documentation from him. He never said how many pages so who knows.

On the other hand Coughlan also acknowledged that Stepney gave him all the technical documentation he had.

One of them is lying. But who? Stepney! He has the most to lose. Coughlan couldn't have dreamed up and then printed all the Ferrari documentation just like that, no matter how good an engineer he is.

SGWilko
20th February 2008, 13:13
He acknowledged that Coughlan took Ferrari technical documentation from him. He never said how many pages so who knows.

On the other hand Coughlan also acknowledged that Stepney gave him all the technical documentation he had.

One of them is lying. But who? Stepney! He has the most to lose. Coughlan couldn't have dreamed up and then printed all the Ferrari documentation just like that, no matter how good an engineer he is.

Perhaps someone else is involved.........?

ioan
20th February 2008, 14:05
Perhaps someone else is involved.........?

Yeah, Freddy Mercury with the "Invisible Man"! :laugh:

SGWilko
20th February 2008, 14:08
Yeah, Freddy Mercury with the "Invisible Man"! :laugh:

Lord Lucan?

wmcot
20th February 2008, 21:47

He specifically denied giving any written documents to Coughlan. I guess that's his lawyer playing games since the 780 pages were on floppies and the rest may have been email or text messages - Stepney didn't physically write any of these. :(

ArrowsFA1
21st February 2008, 07:57
He specifically denied giving any written documents to Coughlan. I guess that's his lawyer playing games...
Very possible.

21st February 2008, 12:52
He specifically denied giving any written documents to Coughlan. I guess that's his lawyer playing games since the 780 pages were on floppies and the rest may have been email or text messages - Stepney didn't physically write any of these. :(

Very possible.

To be fair to Stepney's lawyer, it is her job to do the best for her client. That has to include highlighting anything that could cast doubt on her clients alleged guilt.

I have no problem with it.

Of course, the Prosecution may well be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that this line of defence is inadequate and they may well have the evidence to prove that Stepney not only did what is alleged but is also lying now in his defence.

But even as a fully paid-up member of the Tifosi, I want Stepney's trial to be fair.

If he is found guilty, I want the little Judas to be dragged around every town in Italy before being strung up on the nearest lamp-post, but for now I do not have a problem with his lawyer trying every angle and every argument she can.

Tazio
27th February 2008, 20:04
Bam!
These chaps are "as thick as thieves"! The net is closing in!
http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Or-sports/2008/02/27/F1-McLaren-homes-searched/

Full statement:

McLaren Racing has today [Wednesday] continued its co-operation with enquiries instigated by the Modena Magistrate.

The Surrey Police accompanied Italian investigators to the homes of a number of McLaren executives as part of their ongoing investigation. A similar process has been performed at the McLaren Technology Centre.

The police are completely satisfied with the co-operation they have received.

These actions are part of a normal judicial process in connection with the ongoing investigation, and are supported by McLaren Racing

Tazio
28th February 2008, 17:54
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080228/od_nm/italy_cars_dc;_ylt=A9G_Rniu7cZHRsEA8CGs0NUE
Undoubtedly the Kingpin of the operation will be revealed as one
Nigel Stepney.
Only a criminal mind as sinister as his could hatch such a plot!
The entire conspiracy is unraveling before us!
‘Tis tangled webs we weave! :D

Tazio
29th February 2008, 04:21
Material taken from the team "will fit into the ample picture of evidence"
from which "clearly emerges the responsibilities of the management
and some technicians
at a high level in McLaren", a police statement said.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=66&objectid=10495324
Is it a co-ink-y-dink that the Italian police brake up a Ferrari Counterfeiting ring
right after they interview Ron, and Marty, with Stepney having cracked a few days earlier, and spilled the beans?
I can see it now. Just like in the movie "To Have and Have Not" Humphrey Bogart has turned the tables
on the Vichey Gestapo in Port du France (on the island that is now known as the Dominican Republic)
He's already assisted the Free French Underground, and just wants his boat back, his side kick (Walter Brennan)
and his babe, (Lauren Bacall) to get a letter of passage to leave the harbor for Florida.
These Gestapo thugs aren't co-operating. Well, ones dead! So Bogey sits the other two down under some hot lights
takes the hog-iron he shot the first one with, smacks a vase shattering it and says
"You'll break just as easy as that did! I'm going to beat the answers out of both of you if I have to.
That means one of you is going to take a beating for nothing! I think I'll start
with you first,” he says to the arrogant one!
Yea' ! It probably happened just like that! :)

ArrowsFA1
29th February 2008, 08:00
Given the lengthy amount of time the police have had to investigate it will be interesting to see what conclusions they reach in comparison with the FIA's findings. Will anything new ever come to light?

SGWilko
29th February 2008, 09:19
Given the lengthy amount of time the police have had to investigate it will be interesting to see what conclusions they reach in comparison with the FIA's findings. Will anything new ever come to light?

Maybe the Italian Authorities will be able to pin responsibility for Ayrton's death on McLaren.....

Incidentally, and I know this is way off topic, but did the Italian fuzz ever hold a big all singing all dancing enquiry into the death of Roland.........?

BDunnell
29th February 2008, 13:01
Maybe the Italian Authorities will be able to pin responsibility for Ayrton's death on McLaren.....

:laugh:

Garry Walker
29th February 2008, 14:12

Let`s hope they will find enough to nail McLaren, bigtime.

ArrowsFA1
29th February 2008, 15:24
The McLaren team have slammed as "grossly inaccurate and misleading" claims from the Italian police that they had found evidence that showed the responsibility of certain members of the team in the spying affair.

"...the Italian police have not yet even been given access to any of the material taken, nor have they even started to review that material. We would be extremely surprised if the review of the documentation reveals anything which has not already been disclosed as a result of the extensive investigations already carried out."
"McLaren Racing believes that due process needs to be respected and that the conduct of an investigation process should not be construed adversely or used for publicity purposes."
"It should be noted that none of the extensive searches or investigations completed to date have produced any evidence that the Ferrari documents which Mr Nigel Stepney handed over to Mr Michael Coughlan were ever passed to anyone else at McLaren Racing or used on the McLaren Formula One car."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65390

Garry Walker
29th February 2008, 15:33

Reminds me of the time when McLaren published lies about the Renault case. and FIA forced them to retreat a lot of it.

SGWilko
29th February 2008, 15:51
Reminds me of the time when

Ahhhh, them were the days....

I see the home office may get involved now. Quite right too, who really wants to wake up next to a horses head.

Who was that chap, Italian PM was it, that was suspected of possible corruption? When in Rome etc. ;)

Nope, I'm not suggesting anything here, that's your job reader......

Tazio
29th February 2008, 16:19
Ahhhh, them were the days....

I see the home office may get involved now. Quite right too, who really wants to wake up next to a horses head.

Who was that chap, Italian PM was it, that was suspected of possible corruption? When in Rome etc. ;)

Nope, I'm not suggesting anything here, that's your job reader......

Well there is a lot to choose from! (Italian PM's) Silvio Berlusconi was the latest!
He's the one that George Bush, and especially Tony Blair palled around with!
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3724/is_200203/ai_n9019727

ioan
29th February 2008, 22:41
Well there is a lot to choose from! (Italian PM's) Silvio Berlusconi was the latest!
He's the one that George Bush, and especially Tony Blair palled around with!
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3724/is_200203/ai_n9019727

Good one!

ioan
29th February 2008, 22:50
The McLaren team have slammed as "grossly inaccurate and misleading" claims from the Italian police that they had found evidence that showed the responsibility of certain members of the team in the spying affair.

"...the Italian police have not yet even been given access to any of the material taken, nor have they even started to review that material. We would be extremely surprised if the review of the documentation reveals anything which has not already been disclosed as a result of the extensive investigations already carried out."
"McLaren Racing believes that due process needs to be respected and that the conduct of an investigation process should not be construed adversely or used for publicity purposes."
"It should be noted that none of the extensive searches or investigations completed to date have produced any evidence that the Ferrari documents which Mr Nigel Stepney handed over to Mr Michael Coughlan were ever passed to anyone else at McLaren Racing or used on the McLaren Formula One car."

This McLiars statement contradicts their own statement, the one where they acknowledged that their 2008 car was incorporating ideas taken from Ferrari!

There is also this part:

"In fact, the Italian police have not yet even been given access to any of the material taken, nor have they even started to review that material. We would be extremely surprised if the review of the documentation reveals anything which has not already been disclosed as a result of the extensive investigations already carried out.

How is that the police doesn't have access to the material taken by them?!
Or how do the McCheats that the police didn't already start to review the materials?!

"McLaren Racing believes that due process needs to be respected and that the conduct of an investigation process should not be construed adversely or used for publicity purposes.

Why would the Police want to advertise themselves? :dizzy:

Get real people, McLaren are nailed and are making waves in a vain attempt to make the Italian police to be seen as the bad guys who are whipping poor ol Ronnie boy.

They tried the same move against Ferrari but failed miserably and had to concede that they were dirty players.

Bye bye Ron! :wave:

BDunnell
29th February 2008, 23:32
Is it possible that this can be 'debated' on here without resorting to the 'funny' nicknames for certain teams and individuals?

ioan
1st March 2008, 00:28
Is it possible that this can be 'debated' on here without resorting to the 'funny' nicknames for certain teams and individuals?

No one seemed offended when N.Jones was calling MS funny nicknames!

Also, McLaren are proved cheaters and liars, they even acknowledged it in an open letter 2 months ago. calling them cheaters and liars has nothing to do with nicknames, but with their behavior.

BDunnell
1st March 2008, 11:12
No one seemed offended when N.Jones was calling MS funny nicknames!

I found that equally tiresome, and have said so on here.

Tazio
1st March 2008, 13:44
The Modena Police have iterated that their official statement was misunderstood (suspiciously by the Italian speaking press) my personal belief it was quoted out of context to purposely sensationalize an already highly volatile legal proceeding. This however does not change the facts in the case. We are apparently back to where we were prior to the statement. With a little spice added to it!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65414

In fact, the statement - made by Italy's Postal and Communications Police - clearly says that the evidence obtained in the McLaren searches will be examined by the Surrey Police along with Italian investigators in the next few days.

The statement does claim, though, that information already obtained by Italian investigators throughout this investigation - that is, prior to the searches at McLaren - have already given clear indication of McLaren's responsibilities in this case.

The statement says: "In the following days British detectives, with the collaboration of Postal and Communications Police investigators, will complete the inquest activities requested by the Italian Magistrate and will begin analysing the documents and the digital material mentioned above, with the aim of finding possible traces of the crimes concerned in the investigation.

"Such findings will be added to vast circumstantial and factual evidence already collected in the criminal investigation coordinated by the Modena Attorney, which shows clearly the responsibility of the management and some technicians at a high level in McLaren for the occurrence of 'industrial espionage' against team Ferrari, as well as for the matter of having taken advantage - both from a business and sporting level - of the data and information regarding both the design of the car that contested in the 2007 Formula One World Championship, and the race and qualifying strategies of the Italian team."

2nd March 2008, 10:19

Maybe not. But that is not the issue.

There is already enough, from the FIA's investigation, to prosecute Mclaren for Industrial Espionage. Unlike the FIA, the legal authorities are not likely to take a grovelling letter of apology from Mclaren as a reason not to stop legal action.

In case it has passed you by, Mclaren have broken the law.

Tazio
2nd March 2008, 13:32
No! Seriously, Like every other Constitutional Democracy, and Republic, their is one commonality in their legal systems.
In a criminal trial the plaintiff AKA "The People" really are represented by one team consisting of the District Attorney,
or a Prosecuting Attorney, their investigators, and the police! I have a sibling that is an attorney that only handles felonies.
I've heard some pretty good stories about police miss-conduct.
This is eerily reminiscent to what that N@$! Mark Furman did to put the kibosh on the O.J. case! This police statement is counterproductive, and only serves their case in the court of public opinion. I think what is more telling is the silence of McLaren's defense. (And believe me they have been hammered for statements, and reactions to statements, by the opposition) by the press.
IMO, this can only means they have a very weak case, and are waiting to plea out! Or, more likely they have a strong defense, or at least perceive they do!
McLaren would not retain poor legal representation! As witnesses these big mouth cops may be grated down to
Pamisan Reggiono upon cross-examination by Signora Bertolino, who I suspect is as slick as extra virgin olive oil.
While on the subject of salad dressing, I think the McLaren supporters should, as a show of solidarity, and/or protest
boycott balsamic vinegar! As every cook worth his spices knows, authentic balsamic vinegar states quit prominently on it's label
"Balsamic Vineger of Modena" If it doesn't, it is not the real Guacamole!
I'm out of here chief! :)

wmcot
3rd March 2008, 06:05
This is eerily reminiscent to what that N@$! Mark Furman did to put the kibosh on the O.J. case!

Actually, there is some belief that O.J. was framed provided by Joe Frank (http://joefrank.com/index.html) in his episode, "The O.J. Chronicles." It seems, according to Mr. Frank, that Ron Goldman and Nichole Smith were paid a large sum of money to commit suicide while framing O.J. ;)

Back on topic - My only wish from this whole stupid affair is to hear the truth. (I know - who's "truth"?)

Tazio
3rd March 2008, 23:09
Actually, there is some belief that O.J. was framed provided by Joe Frank (http://joefrank.com/index.html) in his episode, "The O.J. Chronicles." It seems, according to Mr. Frank, that Ron Goldman and Nichole Smith were paid a large sum of money to commit suicide while framing O.J. ;)

Back on topic - My only wish from this whole stupid affair is to hear the truth. (I know - who's "truth"?)
"The truth!
You can't handle the truth!" :D

wmcot
4th March 2008, 06:18
"The truth!
You can't handle the truth!" :D

I don't know...I'd have to hear it once!

SGWilko
8th March 2008, 17:29
Have a butchers at this;

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65557

Here's a snippet.....

[quote="Autosport"]Reacting to the FIA's statement, Stepney said today he was "delighted that the FIA have backed down" from their threat to ban him from motorsport but criticised the fact it took the FIA several months to reach this conclusion.

"They may want to do some due diligence themselves before simply accepting one side of the story," Stepney said in a statement released by his lawyers in the UK.

According to the statement, Stepney himself "admits that a former McLaren engineer and friend of 20 years had obtained very limited information as a result of his carelessness".

"Frankly, I should have known better," Stepney was quoted as saying. "But it sure as hell wasn't the 780-page dossier the FIA saw, and which I've just been shown for the first time by the Italian authorities."

Stepney is under criminal investigation in Italy for suspected industrial espionage against his then-employers Ferrari, but the veteran mechanic has maintained throughout his innocence in the matter, denying he gave McLaren then-chief designer Mike Coughlan a dossier of 780 pages, containing confidential Ferrari information.

Sian Nath, of Stepney's UK law firm Coyle White Devine, said: "It should be noted that Mr Stepney has never admitted any dishonest intention. The FIA is fully aware of that.

"Our client blew the whistle on certain matters to FIA officials]

Is it perhaps time for some people to sit back down?

Can't wait for the book, If I were Ferrari and the FIA I might be getting a little dry in the throat right now.

No doub't it'll transpire that in fact, Renault had more McLaren info than McLaren had of Ferrari........

If I were Max, right now I'd be amassing paddles and leaving them close by to every known creek on the planet. :p :

8th March 2008, 17:42
"According to the statement, Stepney himself 'admits that a former McLaren engineer and friend of 20 years had obtained very limited information as a result of his carelessness' ".

Carelessness?

Now, to me, carelessness is shutting the front door then realizing that I haven't got a key.

Apparently, according to Mr Stepney, 'Carelessness' means contacting the Chief Designer of his teams main rivals and giving them "very limited information" about his employer.

Presumably he also thinks that Peter Sutcliffe wasn't a murderer, just 'careless' with his knife in the presence of prostitutes?

SGWilko
8th March 2008, 17:53
"According to the statement, Stepney himself 'admits that a former McLaren engineer and friend of 20 years had obtained very limited information as a result of his carelessness' ".

Carelessness?

Now, to me, carelessness is shutting the front door then realizing that I haven't got a key.

Apparently, according to Mr Stepney, 'Carelessness' means contacting the Chief Designer of his teams main rivals and giving them "very limited information" about his employer.

Presumably he also thinks that Peter Sutcliffe wasn't a murderer, just 'careless' with his knife in the presence of prostitutes?

I can't help but think the 'info referred to' was passed over during the 'proof of illegal moving floor' whistleblowing incident that the FIA (and indeed Ferrari themselves) ignored. Took McLaren asking to run said system to get it banned.

One thing modern day F1 has taught me, it's how to be a proper cynic! ;)

8th March 2008, 18:09
I can't help but think the 'info referred to' was passed over during the 'proof of illegal moving floor' whistleblowing incident

Fair point, but I still can't quite understand the 'Carelessness' claim.

If it was 'Whistleblowing', then why not say that and use it as a defence?

'Carelessness' just sounds like the claims of a deluded individual and gives yet more credence to the belief that Stepney did indeed 'lose his mind'.

wmcot
9th March 2008, 07:48
I can't help but think the 'info referred to' was passed over during the 'proof of illegal moving floor' whistleblowing incident that the FIA (and indeed Ferrari themselves) ignored. Took McLaren asking to run said system to get it banned.

Let's not open the "whistleblowing" can of worms again!

ArrowsFA1
9th March 2008, 10:01
It's a shame that such a spurious analogy should be introduced in this context :down:

Sadly this seems to be the way that Stepney is to be portrayed in some quarters while the case against him is being investigated. Assumptions, presumptions, inferences have all played a big part in Spygate, and fact tends to get lost along the way. If you're guilty of something, anything, then your guilty of everything seems to be the way it works :dozey:

CNR
9th March 2008, 10:28
http://www.fosagold.org/F1SA/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6395&Itemid=2

Stepney hits back after FiA, Formula One governing body, advice : -

Ferrari spy Nigel Stepney says he is "delighted" with the FiA's recommendation to the motor racing industry that the Briton not be employed until mid next year.

He points out that the advice, revealed to the press after a meeting with the governing body last week, is effectively the retraction of an earlier threat to totally ban him from International Motor Sport.

In a statement provided by his lawyers, Stepney also slammed the FiA for taking so long before requesting his side of the story, and took issue with the Paris body's claim that he admitted to transferring Ferrari secrets to McLaren.

"They may want to do some due diligence themselves before simply accepting one side of the story," he said.

"Frankly, I should have known better. But it sure as hell wasn't the 780 page dossier the FiA saw and which I've just been shown for the first time by the Italian authorities," he added.

Tazio
9th March 2008, 12:10
http://www.fosagold.org/F1SA/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6395&Itemid=2This is all well and good for Stepney, for the moment! There is one reality that this tifosi would like to understand. Did the wife of Mike Coughlin take a 780 document to a copy shop in GB? Wasn't this document examined by the FIA, and confirmed to contain Ferrari IP? Are these "facts" really only hearsay? If MC didn't get them from NS, did a clerical worker in Maranello accidentally Email them to MC. Is it a lie that this 780 page Document contained Ferrari IP? If so I would like very much to know how this "fantasy" evolved. If this is all manufactured lies and the governing bodies took it hook-line-and-sinker. These agencies need a thorough house cleaning! My guess however is that no one at McLaren, formerly, or presently, plus Nigel Stepney are going to file a serious civil suit against the F1 establishment, which if this huge sanction, and "slander" are erroneous. It should be a slam-dunk for McLaren to be reimbursed $100 million plus damages in a civil suit! Let us see!

woody2goody
9th March 2008, 13:36
Wow, this could change everything...

If he's never seen the documents before, then surely McLaren have a right to appeal?

ioan
9th March 2008, 14:13
http://www.fosagold.org/F1SA/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6395&Itemid=2

Yeah sure! He never saw those documents before.
And Santa lives at the South Pole now (because of the global warming!).

Tazio
9th March 2008, 15:42
Wow, this could change everything...

If he's never seen the documents before, then surely McLaren have a right to appeal?Don't be so gullible McFly! :)

SGWilko
9th March 2008, 20:55
Yeah sure! He never saw those documents before.
And Santa lives at the South Pole now (because of the global warming!).

Ioan, you may want to sit down for this one......

....I'm really sorry, but.....

Oh, I don't know how to put this.....

.....but........

.........There is no Santa.

I'm really sorry about that.

ioan
9th March 2008, 23:08
Ioan, you may want to sit down for this one......

....I'm really sorry, but.....

Oh, I don't know how to put this.....

.....but........

.........There is no Santa.

I'm really sorry about that.

:eek: What? There is no Santa? ;(
What about the reindeer?!

BDunnell
9th March 2008, 23:09
:eek: What? There is no Santa? :crying:
What about the reindeer?!

Reindeer don't exist either.

Daniel
9th March 2008, 23:37
Reindeer don't exist? :eek:

ioan
9th March 2008, 23:41

Now you're pushing it a bit too far! :mad:
I saw them myself on TV! :p :

markabilly
10th March 2008, 03:12

u are now taken the first step on your way to being one of those conspiracy nut cases...........like that hillbilly whoever

markabilly
10th March 2008, 03:29
I believe the original title or question was:

"Would the People who Defended Nigel Stepney's Credibiity please Stand Up?"

Looks to me like the FIA done stood up, but fear not, they expect whoever employs him next to use "due digence", being really tough on him until July 1, 2009:
"the governing body issued a recommendation to all its license holders to consider carefully if they should collaborate with the Briton prior to July 1st 2009"

What a circus.......I swear I keep using my best, most crazy ideas, (as to whether enhanced by certian performance enhancement drugs or other additives or what i smoke, as some have accussed me, on that I say NO, but I suspicion someone somewhere at the FIA, they must have a stash of some old batch of LSD from the sixties... :s mokin:

Anyway back to my point, no matter how out of touch or far-out crazy nut conspiracy stuff that I do my best to come up with, the ole FIA and MaX come along and consistently out-do me and blow my mind...... :monkeedan

Here is to the wisdom of the FIA, due diligence and to July 1st 2009 :beer: