PDA

View Full Version : The Renault R28

ShiftingGears
21st January 2008, 12:38
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7282.html

Front wing looks very unusual and the nose of the car is wider and more wedge-shaped than others so far. With Alonso back it should be an interesting year :up:

wedge
21st January 2008, 12:51
I'm assuming they're still using the V-keel?

Most of the other teams have concentrated on a high chassis/high mounted-droopy front wishbones for good undercar aero.

janneppi
21st January 2008, 12:53
Quite the lower lip on that thing. :)

Osella
21st January 2008, 13:00
Shame they haven't tidied up the messy livery tho... yeuch!

samuratt
21st January 2008, 15:29
Shame they haven't tidied up the messy livery tho... yeuch!
The livery is as awful as last year! :)

blakebeatty
21st January 2008, 16:23

Most of the other teams have concentrated on a high chassis/high mounted-droopy front wishbones for good undercar aero.

nope, as per autosport's technical analysis, they have switched to zero keel

21st January 2008, 16:30

Nope, it's a zero keel. The front end has been completely re-worked.

AndyRAC
21st January 2008, 17:30
The livery is as awful as last year! :)

Absolutely terrible!! Either paint it all orange for ING, or paint it Renault's colours, NOT BOTH!! Just looks a mess, nearly as bad as Ford's WRCar.

LeonBrooke
21st January 2008, 19:06
I think it's a good-looking car... or it would be if it was in Mild Seven livery. I saw a picture of one of the recent Renault F1 cars painted in 1970s Renault F1 livery - it looked good. But yes, the new car looks a mess. But the nose of this car looks good :up:

RS
21st January 2008, 19:20
I think the Renault looks rather good, both in shape and livery.

At least it's bright and bold which is more than can be said for the usually boring liveries of teams like Toyota & BMW.

Donney
21st January 2008, 20:00
I like the nose very much, the rest is the usual mess of wings, winglets and aero bits, the livery is awful.

wmcot
21st January 2008, 20:16
I have nothing against the livery - you can't mistake it for another car on the grid. At least it's not another blue-and-white or red-and-white combination!

The aero, however, is one more step messier with the "pouting lip" front wing.

Cozzie
21st January 2008, 21:31
When are we going to see some NEW liveries. So far each team is just keeping to last years trend. BLOODY UGLY!

woody2goody
21st January 2008, 22:11
They should definitely put more orange on it but it looks nice, and I hope it's good because Renault are one of my favourite teams and I want them to do well. Still think they'll come 4th though! :)

wedge
21st January 2008, 23:32
nope, as per autosport's technical analysis, they have switched to zero keel

Hmmmmmm....

interesting take on maximising the bargeboards and front splitter

*strokes chin*

leopard
22nd January 2008, 03:16
Absolutely terrible!! Either paint it all orange for ING, or paint it Renault's colours, NOT BOTH!! Just looks a mess, nearly as bad as Ford's WRCar.
Yeah, they are supposed to run maximum 3 colors on car, but having both yellow and orange they still look great,the yellow and orange are preference, using one of them is still recognizable as Renault.
At least we have another year to see the lion and hope the lion to run as fast as leopard. ;)
http://motorsport.com/photos/f1/2008/tes/f1-2008-tes-xp-0546.jpg

Roamy
22nd January 2008, 07:19
nice looking car > add TAD and Alonso and you have the Championship

samuratt
22nd January 2008, 09:59
Yeah, they are supposed to run maximum 3 colors on car, but having both yellow and orange they still look great,the yellow and orange are preference, using one of them is still recognizable as Renault.
At least we have another year to see the lion and hope the lion to run as fast as leopard. ;)
http://motorsport.com/photos/f1/2008/tes/f1-2008-tes-xp-0546.jpg

They have four colours: orange and white (ING), blue and Yellow (Renault). I think the mix is what makes it so ugly.

We hope the lion will make the difference though!!!! :)

wmcot
22nd January 2008, 20:47

Are they limited to 3 colors by FIA rules? I wonder if they are using the fact that I learned in elementary school that white isn't technically a color.

leopard
23rd January 2008, 03:19
Are they limited to 3 colors by FIA rules? I wonder if they are using the fact that I learned in elementary school that white isn't technically a color.
Usually too much color will make an object looks messy, but Renault looks fine.
It has 3 colors + 1 white, I was taught too that 3+1 = 4

samuratt
23rd January 2008, 11:56

In order to print it is true that white is not technically a colour, though black is. You do not have to mix any inks in order to print something in white. In fact for printing you only use 4 inks and its mixes: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Key (black).

RJL25
23rd January 2008, 12:40
the more i look at this new nose the more i am impressed with it, seems to be a really tricky peice of kit, i only wish we could see how much downfore it creates compared to the R27's nose...

it's interesting though, it was renault, back when the team was benneton, that first came up with the raised nose cone idea, and now they seem to be the first guys going back to a nose down design

23rd January 2008, 12:46
it's interesting though, it was renault, back when the team was benneton, that first came up with the raised nose cone idea, and now they seem to be the first guys going back to a nose down design

Actually it was Tyrrell in 1990.

RJL25
23rd January 2008, 12:52
oh sorry, i thought beneton had it before then, oh well i stand corrected. They where the first to perfect it atleast

Osella
23rd January 2008, 18:10
Actually, you're both right and wrong ;)
Adrian Newey at March first used a raised nose underside in 1988, but the nose tip and wing were both at near-ground level. Tyrrell's Harvey Postlethwaite then took the concept further with the anhedral front wings in 1990, but it was John Barnard on the Benetton B191 that used the first true 'shark nose' design, and extended the front wing to the full width, along with the raised nose underside..

Interestingly, this scenario has happened before; in 2000 Ferrari had pretty much the highest nose on the grid, with the largest clearance underneath. For 2001, McLaren pretty much copied the philosophy, whereas Ferrari went to a much lower sloped nose tip again, to lower centre of gravity and make the car less sensitive, having pushed the high nose concept as far as they could.

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd January 2008, 20:42
White isn't a colour

mstillhere
26th January 2008, 03:22
Well, it looks like the beautiful nose of the new Renault is......well......just beautiful. According to Spanish sources, this nose, which works very well on the wind tunnel, creates a lot of problems once on the track. The situation is so bad that the design dept. is already working on a new nose. My question is: how can a car perform without problems in the wind tunnel but once on the track it's a total different story. (I think Honda had the same kind of problems)

ASCAR24/7/365.5
26th January 2008, 07:17
one problem is that a wind tunnel is a perfect environment, air comes from one direction at a certain speed. on a track its far from that case, you can have crosswinds, varing wind speed and of course if your following other cars the disturbed airt affects downforce. of of course you can configuate your wind tunnel wrong and cock it upp!

mstillhere
26th January 2008, 23:08
one problem is that a wind tunnel is a perfect environment, air comes from one direction at a certain speed. on a track its far from that case, you can have crosswinds, varing wind speed and of course if your following other cars the disturbed airt affects downforce. of of course you can configuate your wind tunnel wrong and cock it upp!

Hi Ascar24 and thank you for your input. I actually think that some teams have the ability to better recreate the track conditions in the wind tunnel than others. I guess.....

leopard
28th January 2008, 03:25
Is it me or people didn't see either Telmex on the car that means Nelshino was pure choice made by the team and wasn't a condition Telmex required in order to inject more money into the team, as many speculated around.