PDA

View Full Version : Writing by hand

Mark
21st January 2008, 10:58
I can't really do it anymore! I'm having to write out some text which covers approx 1 A4 sheet, and my hand is aching and shaking and I've had to stop :s

Magnus
21st January 2008, 11:12
Neither can I; itīs an art gone missing...
**** computers... ;)

J4MIE
21st January 2008, 11:20
People still write by hand? :eek:

gadjo_dilo
21st January 2008, 11:25
People still write by hand? :eek:

More than that some of them are still able to do arithmetical operations. :laugh:

Donney
21st January 2008, 11:37
What about remembering telephone numbers?

I write by hand sometimes, but not as much as when I was studying.

GridGirl
21st January 2008, 13:15
I actually prefer written information at work. I used to find that excel schedules never got printed out and put into files in the right places. Now I make anyone who works for me write everything out by hand and add things up on a calculator. I'm pretty sure they all hate me for it, but atleast it gives me work to review that is understandable and correct.

I also find with the staff that are training there is a tendancy to copy last years work if its all on word or excel. Writing out things by hand generally makes them think about what they are doing. :)

Drew
21st January 2008, 16:12
I've been trying to learn how to write left handed, just for the hell of it.

Storm
21st January 2008, 16:18
Yes its really tough if you have to write down a full page or something..when I gave my Spanish certificate exam my hands were aching....I had forgotten what it was like writing essays and subjective answers in a language paper.

The most writing I do nowadays is putting dates and signing cheques :s
So it was good to write something meaningful again in the classroom sometimes.

Recently I found out that I am finding it even more difficult writing in my mother-tongue (which has the Devanagari script) :\ I stopped writing that script on a daily basis when I finished school so I almost never write in it.

LeonBrooke
21st January 2008, 18:48
I've found that my handwriting has disappeared too, which is a pain because I prefer writing by hand. However, my typing has gone all to hell too, so the written word is becoming difficult for me :\

I'll have to be writing by hand for work, and I try really hard to make it legible. There's nothing worse than trying to pick important information from what looks like a page of writing in the Ferengi script :s

leopard
22nd January 2008, 02:37
When I was at junior school, I tried various typical handwritings, my teacher gave me applause. It could contribute to my good mark, because teacher would never be lazy to check my essay answer in each examination, besides mostly the answers were basically correct. ;)

schmenke
22nd January 2008, 20:02
...The most writing I do nowadays is putting dates and signing cheques :s ...

People still write cheques? :eek:

25th January 2008, 09:22
I've been trying to learn how to write left handed, just for the hell of it.
How are you doing with it? I'm left handed and sometimes I do a few lines of mirror writing just for the pleasure of writing more naturally like a right hander (if that makes sense?). It's not easy being a leftie sometimes but we do ok. :wave:

leopard
25th January 2008, 09:30
I used to be a left-handed, my left hand and feet had power more when throwing or kicking something than the right ones. I was told that right hand/feet is better to do anything, the reason to learn doing anything with right hand/feet, and it worked.

People said those left-handed has the good balance on their brain.

MrJan
25th January 2008, 10:20
At work I write lots of notes by hand but as they are often taken while I'm on a building site they are very rarely legible. Doesn't help that I've had the same appalling hand writing since I was 8 either :D

Mark
25th January 2008, 11:35
I am left handed in most things except using a knife and fork and scissors but that's just bacause I've never done anything different. But either handedness is not "better" any more than driving on the right handedness side of the road is any bettr than the left!

GridGirl
25th January 2008, 13:04
Agreed Mark, just the majority of us just like to poke fun a lefties. ;) Ya freak. :p

27th January 2008, 08:39
A guy who was a member of our tennis club served left handed and then changed the racquet to his right hand to play. We loved watching the confusion on the faces of those who hadn't played against him before. They couldn't quite work out what was going on for a while :D

BDunnell
27th January 2008, 10:16
My handwriting has always been crap. I can read the scrawl I use to take notes of telephone conversations, that sort of thing, but that's rather like being able to read shorthand. I couldn't read anyone else's shorthand! I can be legible sometimes, though.

Remembering telephone numbers is an interesting one, too, seeing as mobile use means we don't have to do so to such an extent. There are plenty of my friends' numbers that I can recall, but by no means all. However, I do have quite a good memory.

Drew
27th January 2008, 14:54
How are you doing with it? I'm left handed and sometimes I do a few lines of mirror writing just for the pleasure of writing more naturally like a right hander (if that makes sense?). It's not easy being a leftie sometimes but we do ok. :wave:

Well, I just try to use my left hand as much as possible (who's going to make the first joke? ;) ) Whenever I write anything that isn't important I write it with my left hand and I practice just writing out things with my left hand :)

Malbec
27th January 2008, 22:36
I still use a fountain pen, usually carry around two with me with a bottle of black ink and refill cartridges. I suspect I may be in the minority on this one.

veeten
27th January 2008, 23:19
Lefties of the world, Unite! :o :D

(btw, me too. :) )

MrJan
28th January 2008, 11:03
Well, I just try to use my left hand as much as possible (who's going to make the first joke? ;) )

I'd love to but sadly I can't think of anything that is both witty and suitable for a family forum ;) :D