PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Change

AndySpeed
10th January 2007, 13:24
Today's Motorsport News reports that Team Dynamics has opted to run a Honda Civic in this year's BTCC.

The article says that "sources suggest the team is flat-out building a four-door version of the new Honda Civic Type-R to mount its title defence".

Steve Neal is reported to have said "We are trying to do a deal because it's getting late in the day to prepare for the 2007 season".

The Civic will make for an interesting addition to the grid though.

speedy king
10th January 2007, 13:40
Was hoping for a nice Accord :( Don't think a 5 door civic Type R will look right, 3 door would be better but the new rules would not allow for that :(

I am evil Homer
10th January 2007, 15:32
Agreed...the JAS Accord is a lovely machine. The 5-door Civic is butt ugly

VkmSpouge
10th January 2007, 15:38
I think the Civic is a great looking car, even in orange paint.

mattie007
10th January 2007, 16:57
Will this be the saloon civic or the hatch version?
Why did TD have to stick with Honda?

cos
10th January 2007, 17:04
I don't think Honda make a saloon version of the Civic anymore. It'll be the 5-door hatchback if all goes to plan.

Rusty
10th January 2007, 17:08

The mock up on the front of MSN today looks fantastic...

mattie007
10th January 2007, 17:40
They do and its sold in Asia instead of the hatch. Ugly though.
Nice to see another new car on the grid.

kmchow
10th January 2007, 19:37
Today's Motorsport News reports that Team Dynamics has opted to run a Honda Civic in this year's BTCC.

The Civic will make for an interesting addition to the grid though.
I guess they're trying to basically just reskin and put a Civic shell on top of the existing race chassis Integra? I know that's a bit simplistic and unfair comment, but surely there's more similiaries between running a Civic than racing/building another make of car?

It will be refreshing to see a different shape/model on the grid!

Allyc85
10th January 2007, 20:32
booooo! :(

tyreman2
10th January 2007, 20:40
I guess they're trying to basically just reskin and put a Civic shell on top of the existing race chassis Integra? I know that's a bit simplistic and unfair comment, but surely there's more similiaries between running a Civic than racing/building another make of car?

It will be refreshing to see a different shape/model on the grid!

I don't think the BTCC spec Integra will be of much help in building an S2000 Civic/Accord their is a huge difference

jonv
10th January 2007, 20:50
I hope they have made enough progress to give themselves something to show at the autosport show

Ian McC
10th January 2007, 21:26
booooo! :(

What was the point of that?

nicemms
10th January 2007, 21:49
I think the civic will be an interesting and exciting addition to the grid.

I for one like the looks of the civic.

tdb
10th January 2007, 22:02
TD are building 2 civics, FACT.
Whether they actually run them as Team Halfords cars is still subject to the deal TD are working on!
The civic build is a "just in case" so they have S2000 cars to race if the "deal" fails to come off in time.

Also, the picture so many of you have seen in MN today, is MN's interpretation and is just a 4 door civic road car with the Halfords livery photoshoped onto it!

tdb
10th January 2007, 22:05
Oh! and just in case any of you still don't get the difference between btc and S2000?
It would be far more expensive to convert a btc spec car to S2000 spec than it would be to build a Brand New car!

So NO ONE and i mean NO ONE will be doing the conversion!

nik
10th January 2007, 22:10

A Citreon 2CV would look good in orange.

Ian McC
10th January 2007, 22:14
Whether they actually run them as Team Halfords cars is still subject to the deal TD are working on!
The civic build is a "just in case" so they have S2000 cars to race if the "deal" fails to come off in time.

Also, the picture so many of you have seen in MN today, is MN's interpretation and is just a 4 door civic road car with the Halfords livery photoshoped onto it!

Interesting, if this deal comes off wonder if they will offer them up to anyone else.

Allyc85
10th January 2007, 22:14
What was the point of that?

it was a lame attempt to sow that I dont like te fact that they will use a small hatch back, especially a very ugly one at that.

AndySpeed
10th January 2007, 22:18

The picture that MN have used has to be a road going model - it has none of the wings/skirts or anything that a touring car would have. It still doesn't look too good though!

it was a lame attempt to sow that I dont like te fact that they will use a small hatch back, especially a very ugly one at that.

May I ask what is the point of being on this internet forum then - you're not contributing anything to the discussion.

Allyc85
10th January 2007, 22:23
*shrugs shoulders* i was just giving my opinion which i have every right to do, if you dont like the way i make it then tough.

any way back on topic

Ur not a salmon
10th January 2007, 22:25
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you m8.

Radders
10th January 2007, 22:31
Grow up children, bicker bloody bicker. Can we ge back to motorsport now?

Piesjohn
10th January 2007, 22:39

Makes sense, but why are Honda UK piping up about their support. Surely if you offer support to a definite plan, publicise it thats normal. But why would you want to shout about working on a backup plan. Unless TD are working on 2 Honda Plans?? Accord + Civic as Backup???

Tyreman seems to be quite confident about Accords...
Although it could be a case of 2+2=5 !!!!

Radders
10th January 2007, 22:47
If Honda were financing/part financing the programme the Civic would be the car of choice from a marketing point of view with the new Type R due this year. From a techincal point of view the Accord would be a better shape but as for basic suspension set up to turn into a touring car I don't know which would be best. I would say the Civic if they could use the Type R but as it's only a 3 door model, so I dunno. It'll all pan out over the next couple of days I guess.

kmchow
10th January 2007, 22:51
If Honda were financing/part financing the programme the Civic would be the car of choice from a marketing point of view with the new Type R due this year. From a techincal point of view the Accord would be a better shape but as for basic suspension set up to turn into a touring car I don't know which would be best.
But the Accord is due for replacement in the next year or two while the Civic is brand new?

Piesjohn
10th January 2007, 23:22
If Honda are not providing any money, then they have no say on the car to use. That has to be TD's choice. But if you were honda, and someone else is giving you free advertising, then you would lend a hand where possible, no matter what the model. Especially if syncro have gone to Britcar.

AndySpeed
10th January 2007, 23:34
If Honda are not providing any money, then they have no say on the car to use. That has to be TD's choice. But if you were honda, and someone else is giving you free advertising, then you would lend a hand where possible, no matter what the model. Especially if syncro have gone to Britcar.

Honda are not providing any money to Team Dynamics for the development of an S2000 car. However, they are providing support as seeing Dynamics succeed with a car obviously has benefit to them. Therefore, to TD the Honda's are still an attractive option.

Honda have stated that they aren't providing significant financial backing as they are pursuing other projects, presumably their F1 team and ASIMO falling-over-bot.

Radders
11th January 2007, 20:13
Not to mention ALMS, although presumably that is being financed by ACURA USA? Will be taking considerable financial resource, but how that works with finance allocation in Honda I haven't a clue.

Jona
11th January 2007, 21:40
But the Accord is due for replacement in the next year or two while the Civic is brand new?

Doesnt really have any bearing on an independent team - look at the MG's!

Something struck me to day that what with the new S2000 rules it actually puts Vauxhall at a huge disadvantage because teams like Dynamics and WSR can pick any S2000 car they like without having to remain loyal to any brand, whereas Vauxhall obvouisly has to use one of its car, of which IMO none seem appropriate, the Vectra is too big and Astra and Corsa not aero efficient. So in a way at the moment it benefits to be an independent (unless your SEAT!)