View Full Version : Cotman quits

seppefan
18th January 2008, 16:33
As reported today on AR1.

He has gone.

Bi bi ChampCar

BobGarage
18th January 2008, 16:37
looks like cotman is as fed up as the fans.

:(

jimispeed
18th January 2008, 16:44
Cotman Quits??

That says alot!!

I'm so pissed!! Champcar is a series that I've been passionate about forever.

I'm calling them again!!!

beachbum
18th January 2008, 16:54
And the next domino is...?

seppefan
18th January 2008, 17:06
Maybe he is joining a ChampCar team .............

indycool
18th January 2008, 17:48
He just got promoted over there and he and Johnson have reportedly been in bed with KK and Forsythe, respectively. Forsythe reportedly wanted Cotman fired a year or so ago. No, I have no link -- it's strictly talk here and there around various actions that seems to make sense about those statements, so take 'em for what they're worth. But it appears, IMO, that Forsythe is stating to take the ball from KK on this deal. KK hasn't said a word since before his JDSU trial.

But Cotman had a lot of respect in the paddock and a great deal of that was his experience and knowledge in the open-wheel community vs. the ex-SCCA guys in the office.

tbyars
18th January 2008, 18:23
Cotman Quits??

That says alot!!

I'm so pissed!! Champcar is a series that I've been passionate about forever.

I'm calling them again!!!

Careful, js. At this point, with all the phone calls, I would dare say you may be running a real risk of being offered a job over there.....

BradCA1
18th January 2008, 18:46
Matos passes up $2 mil and Cotman resigns in the same day...

Can anyone honestly answer why CC is still around?

ChicagocrewIRL
18th January 2008, 19:23
Maybe it had something to do with Cotman campaigning vigorously to keep May open so ChampCar teams could run Indy to get sponsors and not having his way. CCWS ended up scheduling Laguna Seca right in the middle of May. I think the key to more sponsorship for some of the CCWS teams is to run Indy and Cotman believed this too.

Blancvino
18th January 2008, 19:52
Looks more and more like F1 and ALMS are going to be my only race viewing outlets in the near future.

Come on guys ... help me move these deck chairs to the other side of the ship.

It's really sad how things look at the moment.

nigelred5
18th January 2008, 20:04
tisk tisk tisk. Just about the only sign of intelligent life in CCWS just walked out hte door :bomb:

Chris R
18th January 2008, 20:08
at the risk of repeating my earlier post over in the TV thread - this, along with the TV package and losing Matos is just plain bad....

Sandfly
18th January 2008, 21:01
Cotman is a good man with a lot on his plate. I doubt anybody here really knows why he made this choice, - time will tell -but there are others who can run the operation effectively - if not differently than Cotman has.

He will help transition in a replacement- or two- and the racing business will start up in two weeks as scheduled. He will me missed greatly , but he can be replaced. This is certainly not to end of CC -- as so many are happy to proclaim. ( Any more than Matos making a bad decision is a poor reflection on CC )

Chaparral66
18th January 2008, 21:24
Any links?

Phoenixent
18th January 2008, 22:18
Any links?

http://www.google.com/ :D

Colt21
18th January 2008, 22:50
Sanguin's spin:

"This is actually good for the series, as it frees up resources that can be used in other places, plus they just hired Johnny Unser who can step right and in and provide the same service....."

It is not doom and gloom. Its the begining of the end.....

Chaparral66
18th January 2008, 22:50
http://www.google.com/ :D

Thank you SO much, Phoenixent... :rolleyes:

Chaparral66
18th January 2008, 23:07
Just got this news news confirmed by Gordon Kirby himself. NOT good...

Jacques
18th January 2008, 23:55
Sanguin's spin:

"This is actually good for the series, as it frees up resources that can be used in other places, plus they just hired Johnny Unser who can step right and in and provide the same service....."

It is not doom and gloom. Its the begining of the end.....

How many years have we been hearing about the "end" ? Every year we hear the same predictions and every year CC comes back.
If CC makes so many people here depressed, maybe these individuals should just stop following CC and be done with it; it really is not healthy for any of you to continue like this.
Meanwhile, let the ret of us enjoy CC, ok ?

If GF keeps quiet, people complain. If GF talks, people complain. C'mon ... let it go already ;)

portlandCARTfan
18th January 2008, 23:58
Per RM on Speed.com "It's uncertain who could fill Cotman's job as longtime Atlantic steward Beaux Barfield was unexpectedly let go last month and his replacement, Johnny Unser, has no experience in race control."

Chaparral66
19th January 2008, 00:49
Per RM on Speed.com "It's uncertain who could fill Cotman's job as longtime Atlantic steward Beaux Barfield was unexpectedly let go last month and his replacement, Johnny Unser, has no experience in race control."

You sure don't want to give this to Johnny Unser, not under circumstances like this.

indycool
19th January 2008, 01:16
Why would Johnny Unser take it under circumstances like this? He's breaking in as an official in Atlantics. Throwing him to the wolves in CC isn't going to be any instant perspective of the job for him.

Chap, link to Miller at speedtv.com....he's pretty rough on the goings-on....

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/42589/

Sandfly
19th January 2008, 02:05
Cotman is a very hard worker and has taken on lots of jobs - and done well with them. That is hard on anybody. I would expect it to require at least two people to do what he was doing; operations, director of competion, etc.

His departure is not immediate and it does not appear to be hostile. He has worked very hard , done a great job and for whatever reason thinks it is time to take a break.

CC will move on, will Tc's help and the racing will start at Sebring in two weeks. The season is set, the seats are filling up , the TV package, (though not enough for those of us who want to see every moment, ) is likely to expose CC to some new viewers.

Too bad Matos' manager has turned him into onion gum, he could been a contenda.

Looking forward to the sand stirring in Sebring in two weeks.

Colt21
19th January 2008, 02:11

A great read. I'm sure there are a few FF500 fans left too. That series died long ago, and 2008 will be the last for CC. RIP.

Chaparral66
19th January 2008, 05:16
Why would Johnny Unser take it under circumstances like this? He's breaking in as an official in Atlantics. Throwing him to the wolves in CC isn't going to be any instant perspective of the job for him.

Chap, link to Miller at speedtv.com....he's pretty rough on the goings-on....

Yeah, I read it, IC; that's what prompted my comment on Johnny Unser. That was my point, I don't want JA to take it, not like this. I'm sure Cotman is trying his best to put as positive a face on this as he can, and doesn't want to burn any bridges, should CCWS survive. but Miller's assertion that placing the LaGuna Seca date right in the middle of May, directly contrary to Cotman's idea of how to work it, was very revealing. In a sense, Cotman tried to do what Honda's Clarke tried to do, repair the rift, and the effort left him completely spent (my own theory). Miller was very tough on CC and well he should be. Right now, the anti-Midas touch is killing Champ Car.

Phoenixent
19th January 2008, 05:28
Thank you SO much, Phoenixent... :rolleyes:

Your Welcome. :D

Just trying to make light of the subject as the sharks circle these threads.

Chaparral66
19th January 2008, 08:27
Maybe it had something to do with Cotman campaigning vigorously to keep May open so ChampCar teams could run Indy to get sponsors and not having his way. CCWS ended up scheduling Laguna Seca right in the middle of May. I think the key to more sponsorship for some of the CCWS teams is to run Indy and Cotman believed this too.

I agree, that must have been a big part of it, and Miller confirms that in his SPEEDTV.com report. The mess in open wheel continues to get worse and worse...

Chaparral66
19th January 2008, 08:29
Your Welcome. :D

Just trying to make light of the subject as the sharks circle these threads.

Riot... ;)

djparky
19th January 2008, 13:46
Cotman is a very hard worker and has taken on lots of jobs - and done well with them. That is hard on anybody. I would expect it to require at least two people to do what he was doing; operations, director of competion, etc.

His departure is not immediate and it does not appear to be hostile. He has worked very hard , done a great job and for whatever reason thinks it is time to take a break.

CC will move on, will Tc's help and the racing will start at Sebring in two weeks. The season is set, the seats are filling up , the TV package, (though not enough for those of us who want to see every moment, ) is likely to expose CC to some new viewers.

Too bad Matos' manager has turned him into onion gum, he could been a contenda.

Looking forward to the sand stirring in Sebring in two weeks.

well it's good to see some optimism- it should be a quiet test though as only about 4 drivers actually have jobs for 2008- as for the TV thing- they could slap it in the middle of prime time evening TV on Fox or whatever and I still don't think anyone would have much interest in it- given that CCWS will get limited (if any) press coverage people won't know it's on anyway- and with a field comprised of a bunch european pay drivers that no-one has ever heard of would they watch it of they did?

at least if it goes down much further we get nearer having one series- the IRL isn't my preferred option and lord knows that Tony George has alot to answer for, but the incompetent bungling at CCWS just defies belief- pull the plug- end it now and roll up whatever is left into the IRL

jimispeed
19th January 2008, 14:13
well it's good to see some optimism- it should be a quiet test though as only about 4 drivers actually have jobs for 2008- as for the TV thing- they could slap it in the middle of prime time evening TV on Fox or whatever and I still don't think anyone would have much interest in it- given that CCWS will get limited (if any) press coverage people won't know it's on anyway- and with a field comprised of a bunch european pay drivers that no-one has ever heard of would they watch it of they did?

at least if it goes down much further we get nearer having one series- the IRL isn't my preferred option and lord knows that Tony George has alot to answer for, but the incompetent bungling at CCWS just defies belief- pull the plug- end it now and roll up whatever is left into the IRL

IRL? TG?? I'd never want to give him the glory!!

bblocker68
19th January 2008, 16:52
I'm away from the internet for a day and all of this happens??????

Man, I'm really going to be sad after I get over being pissed off!!!!!!!!

This is not a good way for CC to kick off 2008 :(

seppefan
21st January 2008, 12:12

Makes me feel sick but its looking like your correct.

Chaparral66
22nd January 2008, 00:35
Makes me feel sick but its looking like your correct.

Which makes the torent of criticism of Robin Miller's comments at Spring Training at Laguna Seca (CCWS give up the ghost and sell to TG) all the more remarkable for his foresight into this year's current thinking, which is due in large part to The Amigos making one bad move after another. Cotman leaving would seem to confirm escalating chaos at CCWS.

gofastandwynn
1st February 2008, 00:02
Looks like Robin got it right

INDYCAR: Cotman Headed for IRL
Written by: Robin Miller Indianapolis, Ind. – 1/31/2008

As speculated the past two weeks on SPEED, Tony Cotman will be named vice president of competition for the Indy Racing League on Friday.

“I’m just going where I think the future of open-wheel racing is going to be,” said Cotman, who quit as Champ Car’s executive vice president earlier this month. ”It’s a good job. I’m going to oversee anything that has to do with competition, technical issues, tracks and assist Brian (Barnhart) in race control.”

The 40-year-old native of New Zealand went to work for Champ Car three years ago after serving as team manager for Barry Green’s CART team and the Andretti Green operation in IndyCars.

Cotman earned the overall respect of the Champ Car paddock with his fair officiating and common sense approach. He played no favorites, be they drivers or owners, and he’ll run the Indy Pro Series events in addition to assisting Barnhart at Indianapolis and other IRL venues.

“Officating is like calling a race and I had a lot of experience doing that, so it seemed like an easy transition and I enjoy it,” said Cotman, who is also the youngest member of the FIA’s Circuit Commission. “It’s about communicating with people and you can’t just fly in, officiate a race and fly out.

“It should be a little easier in the IRL, because in Champ Car a third of the field was the series owner’s cars.”

He chuckled at that last statement because it was well known that series co-owners Gerry Forsythe and Paul Gentilozzi wanted Cotman removed as chief steward after his first season because they were mad at some of his calls.

Despite his frustration with Champ Car’s hierarchy, Cotman had nothing negative to say about his last three years.

“I think I’ve been pretty fortunate, I’ve seen it from all sides,” he said. “I got to work on good teams in CART and IRL and then I got to work on the other side of the pit wall at Champ Car and now I get to do that with Indy cars.

“I think this new job will suit me and I’m looking forward to contributing to the future of open-wheel racing.”

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/indycar/auto/42854/

FlatChatRacer
1st February 2008, 00:47
Oh, that's not good news at all. Cotman leaving Champ Car was one thing, but moving to the IRL is a bad sign.

This move will not be the death of Champ Car at all, but it sends a message that the future is bleak and the smart ones are getting out while they can before things get a lot worse or collapse.

Cotman's comment about the future of Open Wheel being in the IRL, is a big slap in the face for Champ Car.

Ouch!!!

Chaparral66
1st February 2008, 01:01
Oh, that's not good news at all. Cotman leaving Champ Car was one thing, but moving to the IRL is a bad sign.

This move will not be the death of Champ Car at all, but it sends a message that the future is bleak and the smart ones are getting out while they can before things get a lot worse or collapse.

Cotman's comment about the future of Open Wheel being in the IRL, is a big slap in the face for Champ Car.

Ouch!!!

And just like always, The Amigos will fail to see the racetrack for the asphalt...

sanguin
1st February 2008, 01:40
Do you think anyone at the races will notice?

No.

Since when is series popularity based on a employee?

indycool
1st February 2008, 02:00
Not at the race track. And fans don't watch races at the race track to watch The Amigos own the series, either. Only on the forums.

ChaimWitz
1st February 2008, 02:01

No.

Sanguin, Keep this up an you may be the last one! Say hi to Pat for me. She just drove the wrong way up a one way street. Was she following you?

Cart750hp
1st February 2008, 02:15
Do you think anyone at the races will notice? No.

Yes. When people see Tony Cotman walking around IPS/IRL races.

The series is based on rent, not hire. So your question is irrelevant.

Sandfly
1st February 2008, 02:44
Mr Cotman was not universal hailed as the greatest thing in race mangagement while at Champ Car - yet now his departure - back to his original nest - is declared to be the end of CC.

Was it the end of IRL when he left them to come to CC. No.
He did a great job at CC, and will do a great job at the IRL - but he has always been in the - "go to the speedway" camp.

Nothing new here. Wait till he rules against the wrong car....

Cart750hp
1st February 2008, 03:01
Mr Cotman was not universal hailed as the greatest thing in race mangagement while at Champ Car - yet now his departure - back to his original nest - is declared to be the end of CC.

Was it the end of IRL when he left them to come to CC. No.
He did a great job at CC, and will do a great job at the IRL - but he has always been in the - "go to the speedway" camp.

Nothing new here. Wait till he rules against the wrong car....

He left Andretti Green for John Lopes' job in CC as RD. Now, he left VP of Operation to IRL's better job. Who's taking place of his position in CC? Must be Jerry Forsythe.

indycool
1st February 2008, 04:32
How could a race official become "universally hailed" when half the field is owned by the series owners?

And, yes, from what I hear too, he WAS in the "go to the Speedway" camp. He wasn't the only one in CC. And even with his departure, he isn't the only one now.

Chaparral66
1st February 2008, 05:13
How could a race official become "universally hailed" when half the field is owned by the series owners?

And, yes, from what I hear too, he WAS in the "go to the Speedway" camp. He wasn't the only one in CC. And even with his departure, he isn't the only one now.

It wasn't a bad strategy, really. Tony Cotman encouraging CC to send some of its teams racing at Indy, get everybody used to the idea of having most everyone racing together, and having some suspense to qualifying. This might have brought some more pressure to work out a deal assuming a positive response was forthcoming from the fans. Too bad CC didn't want to work with TC on that.

indycool
1st February 2008, 05:15
As I understand it, Chap, even the owners were divided on it. Why did KK talk about offering to run Indy about this time last year, albeit on terms that weren't going to wash?

Lousada
1st February 2008, 09:57
“It should be a little easier in the IRL, because in Champ Car a third of the field was the series owner’s cars.”

He chuckled at that last statement because it was well known that series co-owners Gerry Forsythe and Paul Gentilozzi wanted Cotman removed as chief steward after his first season because they were mad at some of his calls.

This is a hard comment. He basicly says GF and PG want to fix CCWS. This is even worse then the fact he hops to the other side.

seppefan
1st February 2008, 10:02
This is a hard comment. He basicly says GF and PG want to fix CCWS. This is even worse then the fact he hops to the other side.

Well they did !! You cannot try to rewrite history. GF tried to get TC sacked. As usual KK saved the day. What PG did in this case I do not know.

Lousada
1st February 2008, 10:06
Well they did !! You cannot try to rewrite history. GF tried to get TC sacked. As usual KK saved the day. What PG did in this case I do not know.

Well, how can you take CC seriously, if the race director questions it's integrity?

seppefan
1st February 2008, 10:13
Well, how can you take CC seriously, if the race director questions it's integrity?

Exactly the point.

Sadly many ChampCar fans who love the racing etc do not any more take the series seriously ( well the owners ) and have been saying this for a long time as the majority of these threads show.

You also should mention the rest of Cotmans quote.

I think I’ve been pretty fortunate, I’ve seen it from all sides,” he said. “I got to work on good teams in CART and IRL and then I got to work on the other side of the pit wall at Champ Car and now I get to do that with Indy cars.

“I think this new job will suit me and I’m looking forward to contributing to the future of open-wheel racing.”

DBell
1st February 2008, 10:39

Ouch!!!

Someone thinks there is a future for Open Wheel in America? :dozey:

seppefan
1st February 2008, 11:25
Someone thinks there is a future for Open Wheel in America? :dozey:

Of course with one series.

Chaparral66
1st February 2008, 18:01
As I understand it, Chap, even the owners were divided on it. Why did KK talk about offering to run Indy about this time last year, albeit on terms that weren't going to wash?

What terms were those? I think KK realizes that Indy is important to the success of open wheel, but at the same time he doesn't want a unified series to be ruled by it.

indycool
1st February 2008, 18:06
Cotman was for killing off May at CC and cutting a deal for CC teams to run Indy. KK was apparently for it. The other Amigos were against it. That's apparently why the discussions last November and December, of which KK was NOT a part, "blowed up." Before anyone asks, I have no links to support this, but it's piecing together stuff I do know compared to connecting dots to what I don't know. The framework or foundation of the discussions was a letter from '05 when KK and TG were talking and they started talking with that as a boilerplate of legit ideas. Those trying to say that happened in the last two weeks are WAY behind.

Chaparral66
1st February 2008, 18:16

No.

The fans and media noticed a 20 minute caution period at Las Vegas a few of years ago, something that probably wouldn't have happened the last two years under Cotman's watch. And who suggested that the popularity of CCWS is based on an employee, one Tony Cotman? No one that I can see. By virtue of Cotman's rep, he provided stability in the paddock as well as officiating and that will be sorely missed. Since perception is everything, and racing fans are as well informed as anyone especially with the internet, this loss is a major blow to CCWS. Cotman going over to the IRL merely rubbed salt on the wound.

Chaparral66
1st February 2008, 22:02
Cotman was for killing off May at CC and cutting a deal for CC teams to run Indy. KK was apparently for it. The other Amigos were against it. That's apparently why the discussions last November and December, of which KK was NOT a part, "blowed up." Before anyone asks, I have no links to support this, but it's piecing together stuff I do know compared to connecting dots to what I don't know. The framework or foundation of the discussions was a letter from '05 when KK and TG were talking and they started talking with that as a boilerplate of legit ideas. Those trying to say that happened in the last two weeks are WAY behind.

As I said before, that's not a bad strategy. Perhaps RM might have been critical of it, unless he had a thorough understanding of why. Have you seen, IC, anyone at the Indy Star or maybe any Detroit papers touch upon this, and been able to find out why KK was not a part of those discussions? See, I don't see this as any concession to Tony George, at least not where CCWS would lose face of any kind. I think Cotman's plan had merit, of having CC teams race at Indy and using that as a way to get sponsors that might carry through the season for the rest of the CC races.

If this was the basis of some discussions between KK and TG and they agreed to make this approach, that might have been a slow but effective start to reconciling. I'd to know more specifically who threw a wrench into it. If it was GF and the other Amigos, for shame.

Albert D. Kallal
1st February 2008, 22:36
Actually it's not gonna be long before there's a significant of friction
between Cotman and the IRL management. He had ties with these people in the past…and was let go…
I really respect Cotman, and it going to be really tough for him to make
decisions.

Like for example do you let a woman drive because she has big
boobs, or do you simply declare her un-safe and un fit to drive? While the milkia scandal
lasted nearly most of the season, for the Indy 500 you will have a slew of
drivers that in no way in hell should be on the track...and what will cotman
do?

This puts a rather professional person in a bad jam, as the IRL had serious problems with calls both on, and off the track (look at the Marco incident this year).

Furthermore with the flying cars is just a matter of time before something
really really ugly happens.....

I wish Cotman all the best, but he's not walking in to a into the land of
paradise where decisions will become more easy. With the oval follies that been going on…cotman is going to have to be a real man of steel to get his way and try to straighten out the mess of officiating that the IRL been surviving of late.

I honestly think Cotman walking into a den of back stabbers…and time will show this..
I wish him luck…he going to need it…

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

Chaparral66
1st February 2008, 22:50
between Cotman and the IRL management. He had ties with these people in the past…and was let go…
decisions.

boobs, or do you simply declare her un-safe and un fit to drive? While the milkia scandal
do?

This puts a rather professional person in a bad jam, as the IRL had serious problems with calls both on, and off the track (look at the Marco incident this year).

paradise where decisions will become more easy. With the oval follies that been going on…cotman is going to have to be a real man of steel to get his way and try to straighten out the mess of officiating that the IRL been surviving of late.

I honestly think Cotman walking into a den of back stabbers…and time will show this..

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

Definitely food for thought. The sport as a whole is more ego driven than ever, and if TC crosses TG on a call with the Vision team, be very interesting to be fly on the wall for that conversation...

Chaparral66
1st February 2008, 22:50
One question to ask would be how TC might have handled the PT Indy 500 race a few years ago...

cartpix
1st February 2008, 23:00
Say hi to Pat for me. She just drove the wrong way up a one way street. Was she following you?

I was thinking the same thing. Pat is one of the best press people around and I will be happy she made the mistake. I'm just glad it wasn't Jana.

Jeff

Sandfly
2nd February 2008, 03:24
What terms were those? I think KK realizes that Indy is important to the success of open wheel, but at the same time he doesn't want a unified series to be ruled by it.

You know, that bit about the devil in the details. I have never seen any of the proposals, so I really do not know for certain.

I think we all realize that Indy - HAS THE POTENTIAL - to be important to open wheel. But clearly the folks at CC are not willing to go there at all costs.

To me - there are Reasonable ways to go there - and thos ehave reportedly been suggested by CC in the past. But after it becomes clear tha TG insists on His cars, his engines , etc that there is no future with TG.

I applaud the amigos for standing firm against the 16th St Bully. It would not be in the best interest of open wheel racing to assume that the success of open wheel DEPENDS on the speedway.

nanders
2nd February 2008, 04:00
decisions.

do?

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

Yeah Marco is scared! I went to the Kansas IRL race .. I wondered who the other car besides Milka that was getting in everyones way and it was Marco .. he ended up parking it.

indycool
2nd February 2008, 11:03
Chap, I don't know why KK wasn't involved, other than the west side Indy "talk" is that PG and GF wanted to fire Cotman awhile back and GF and KK are/were at odds about that and other issues.

FlatChatRacer
2nd February 2008, 11:22
Well,

From a logical point of view, any negotiations with leaders of Champ Car has to involve KK. Nothing can be agreed without him where the discussion of OWRS assets are concerned.

indycool
2nd February 2008, 11:43
True and agreed, FCR, but as I hear it, he didn't attend the meeting.

nanders
2nd February 2008, 16:07
True and agreed, FCR, but as I hear it, he didn't attend the meeting.

And I speculate that he didn't attend because he's been on board with a consolidated series for some years. The only person that TG really has to reach is GF. Curly and Larry will follow his lead.

I also speculate that if Surfers goes to the ICS, Conquest and Walker would go to the ICS as well. And with Walker not showing up at Sebring I'm thinking he may be close to leaving, maybe now.

l think that the Surfers contract is up at the end of this year http://racing.auto123.com/en/racing/news/index,view.spy?artid=9491, http://champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=5795 so it could happen.

Then the count on teams leaving could possibly be 3 including Hass.