PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions-Reputaion/reliability of newspaper "The Independent"

tannat
17th January 2008, 16:37
I'm an American researcher and need to establish the credibility of what is printed in the above listed newspaper/website.

Is it true bona fide journalism, or to quote Fleming more of a 'yellow press' publication?

Thanks...

Tannat

Brown, Jon Brow
17th January 2008, 17:23
One of the better newspapers in Britain I think that it is less biased than the others when it comes to politics.

tannat
17th January 2008, 17:34
One of the better newspapers in Britain I think that it is less biased than the others when it comes to politics.

Very good to know..

Cheers, JB :beer:

Robinho
17th January 2008, 21:55
IMO its some of the best journalism available in the UK, very good on current affiars, overseas, environment etc. as its name suggests not biased on politics and not afraid of a good expose.

one of the few papers with real news in it!

tannat
17th January 2008, 21:57
IMO its some of the best journalism available in the UK, very good on current affiars, overseas, environment etc. as its name suggests not biased on politics and not afraid of a good expose.

one of the few papers with real news in it!

This is really good to hear..

Hoping the columnist will respond to my email.

Thanks Robinho :up:

Brown, Jon Brow
18th January 2008, 11:58
This is really good to hear..

Hoping the columnist will respond to my email.

Thanks Robinho :up:

Why the interest in The Independent tannat?

wedge
18th January 2008, 13:17
All newspapers are biased to a degree, just read their editorials.

The Indy is very one-dimensionaly left-wing paper. Every time you go through that paper there's an article regarding global warming, green issues, anti-capitalism, human rights abuse and so forth.

If I wanted something more social-conscious read then I prefer the Guardian, IMO.

Garry Walker
18th January 2008, 15:36
All newspapers are biased to a degree, just read their editorials.

The Indy is very one-dimensionaly left-wing paper. Every time you go through that paper there's an article regarding global warming, green issues, anti-capitalism, human rights abuse and so forth.

If I wanted something more social-conscious read then I prefer the Guardian, IMO.

Guardian and independent are both left-winged newspapers, guardian especially. Very strong left wing bias.
I dont take them seriously, most of the time.

tannat
18th January 2008, 16:08
Why the interest in The Independent tannat?

They made a comment on how avian inflenza specimens were being collected inappropriately by DEFRA agents (Minister Benn said they were collected appropriately).

If what the journalists say is true, it could really impact the results of surveillance for bird flu. Many false negatives would result.

Hoping I can find out their source for the info...

Brown, Jon Brow
19th January 2008, 12:34
Guardian and independent are both left-winged newspapers, guardian especially. Very strong left wing bias.
I dont take them seriously, most of the time.

I always thought that The Independent was 'independent' of political bias. I never really considered The Independent to be a left wing news paper, maybe slightly left of centre. But perhaps tannat in America it may be considered left-wing as American politics are further to the right than Europe.

Garry, I suspect that you find the Guardian very left wing as you are a Daily Mail reader? yes? :rolleyes: