PDA

View Full Version : Leslie (big lips) Ash

allycat228
17th January 2008, 00:43
I saw on the news tonight that this woman has been awarded five million pounds for getting MRSA whilst in hospital, I am sorry but what about every other b****r that gets this in hospital, also they were saying that the parents of the baby that was scallded to death last year are suing the council that they rented their house from what's the betting they will get nothing like that it makes me sick

306 Cosworth
17th January 2008, 11:03
It's only because she is famous, that's the only reason, and it's pathetic at that. I know she is now in a wheelchair but so are other people who've had MRSA, I bet they didn't get a pay out, just an apology and away you go :mad:

GridGirl
17th January 2008, 13:14
I'm not against her getting compensation but £5m is a little excessive. The money would of been better spent on actually cleaning hospitals so people don't get MRSA and the likes in the first place.

MrJan
17th January 2008, 13:29
Compensation is based on projected earnings and sadly she was in quite a lot of stuff when she went into hospital. However to take £5m out of a struggling NHS is disusting and there is no way that they can sort out troubles if tarts like Leslie Ash come along and nick all the money. I think £500,000 would have been a far more realistic figure.

SEATFreak
17th January 2008, 16:06
Here we go again. Yet more celeb-bashing.

Yes, I agree with the point in the third post that the £5m is perhaps excessive and that it could have gone on cleaning hospitals and making them MRSA safe and the point in the first post that some folk probably struggle to get a penny. But to say, as 306 Cosworth said, she only got the compo because of her fame, is I think a little extreme.

Mr Jan Yeo said that compo is based on projected earnings. If that is indeed the case then I don't think we can totally blame her for getting so much. She is in a profession where she does earn quite a bit. I am sure a lawyer or solicitor would have recieved quite a lot in compo. They earn a bit to, right?

Hazell B
17th January 2008, 22:01
The legal bill was over £250k, or so the TV news said.

She didn't demand five million, it was the sum offered, so we can't blame her for that as such. I expect media pressure will make sure she gives some away to charity, too.

Anyway, much as I agree it's far too much considering the people who've been worse off healthwise after hospital stays, I have to say her employing legal bods and fighting must be seen as admirable. It will force yet another health service drive to clean up hospitals and pave the way for more deserving cases to be heard I hope.

Still can't see why she's with that thug of a husband, though. :(

MrJan
18th January 2008, 10:30
Yes it'll make hospitals look at cleaning up but £5m is a lot take out of the NHS. Heard one stat that a sum like that could buy 3 MRI machines and a whole load of other life saving stuff. I agree she needed to sue but I'd like to see some of that money given back, afterall she can hardly be living on a pittance from previous career.

allycat228
19th January 2008, 00:48
She was not in great demand when she had her accident, all she is known for is men behaving badly and her big lips.

Most people you read about suing hospital trusts are asking for an apology not a great sum like that

sorry about spelling but i have had a few vodka's or as i like to say

A vodka a day keeps the doctor away

Hazell B
19th January 2008, 16:36
.... £5m is a lot take out of the NHS.

I may be wrong here, but wouldn't it be coming from whoever insures the NHS against this sort of action, not directly out of NHS funds? Plus, I think the sums awarded actually bear no real resemblance to what is paid out anyway beyond a certain sum. Can't remember how it all works, but do remember a star getting a reported large sum once and saying in interviews that it was really far less as it's paid in bits over years by the courts and quite a high percentage goes to the Victims Funds anyway, so they got about half in the long run.

Malbec
22nd January 2008, 20:41
I may be wrong here, but wouldn't it be coming from whoever insures the NHS against this sort of action, not directly out of NHS funds?

Yep, the hospital won't be paying but the insurance companies will be raising premiums if this kind of payment carries on so the NHS will pay in the end.

Leslie Ash didn't get MRSA, she got an infection from MSSA or plain vanilla Staph. Aureus, a bacteria that all humans carry, in fact it would be highly abnormal if she hadn't been carrying that type. It was highly amusing to see her go on the news to warn people of the dangers of carrying Staph Aureus and make a fool out of herself, except the press fell for it.

Now a cynic might say she sued the hospital to revive a flagging career, pay off some debts and take attention away from the real reason she was injured......

.... but fortunately I'm not a cynic