PDA

View Full Version : IRC Tires

Abarth
16th January 2008, 19:33
What kind of tires will the different drivers and teams use in 08 IRC ?

Tires is always a deciding factor, and in IRC we have 3 official options !
BF Goodrich, Pirelli and Yokohama.

Is one better than the other ?

PLuto
16th January 2008, 19:54
What kind of tires will the different drivers and teams use in 08 IRC ?

Tires is always a deciding factor, and in IRC we have 3 official options !
BF Goodrich, Pirelli and Yokohama.

Is one better than the other ?

In IRC you can use any tyre, it depends of you. Of course, the best are Michelin...

Sulland
26th January 2009, 19:34
In Monte Carlo 09 we had most top teams on BFG, but a couple on Pirelli and one on Dunlop. There are also 207 on Yokohama, and maybe a MG on Hankook.

How much differences are there between these, and could it under certain circumstances be an advantage to have another brand than BFG ?

ProRally
26th January 2009, 19:36
Did hear that BFG is only bringing customer tyres to the event, no development tyres.
This to save on costs

Mirek
26th January 2009, 19:39
How much differences are there between these, and could it under certain circumstances be an advantage to have another brand than BFG ?

I'm sure other tyres may be advantage in some special conditions. That's because BFG tyres are mode to be good everywhere but some tyres are made especialy for particular local conditions.

AndyRAC
26th January 2009, 19:50
Why not follow the WRC and have a control tyre. That is surely much better......

......then drivers can't have excuses for a poor stage.........

.....sorry, only joking!!

Mirek
26th January 2009, 19:55
You've got the point! just imagine how much excitement we would lost on Monte Carlo with only one tyres same for everybody...

PLuto
26th January 2009, 19:58
In IRC you can use tyres, which you want. If you dont have paper agreement with manufacturers, you can use BFG for one stage, Pirelli for another and in difficult conditions for example Matador. Everything depends on you...

RS
26th January 2009, 22:34
Why not follow the WRC and have a control tyre. That is surely much better......

......then drivers can't have excuses for a poor stage.........

.....sorry, only joking!!

:D

Cars looked slower on day one of 'Wales Rally GB' on cold mud than they did on full ice on Monte!

urabus-denoS2000
26th January 2009, 23:25
Jereb was on Dunlop,right?

Sulland
27th January 2009, 00:09
Yes Jereb is on Dunlop: http://www.a-jereb.si/2009/mc/14.php

http://www.a-jereb.si/foto/mc/14.jpg

http://www.a-jereb.si/foto/mc/1.jpg

PLuto
27th January 2009, 02:06
Sulland, you are able to see from that photos, that these tyres are Dunlop? :)

Sulland
27th January 2009, 10:10
Good question, no I am not sure.

And you never know, but would be amazed if he has the spons and not use the product.

Can a trained eye see from this one, or maybe we have to mail him to find out ? :p

http://www.a-jereb.si/foto/mc/8.jpg

modri dirkac
27th January 2009, 10:39
Jereb was on Dunlop,right?

Off the record, Jereb was on Pirelli. ;)
In fact he was the best driver on the Pirelli tyres until engine problems ... :mad:

urabus-denoS2000
27th January 2009, 10:42
Thanks guys,I am asking because on SS3 he was in top 10 results on Eurosport and he had no tire logo in the results ;)

PLuto
27th January 2009, 12:54
He hasnt tire logo also on tires...

http://fotogalerie.autosport.cz/albums/userpics/10002/Jereb_1.jpg

modri dirkac
27th January 2009, 14:07
PLuto, belive me! ;)

PLuto
27th January 2009, 23:04
PLuto, belive me! ;)

I believe you. I am showing to Sulland, that also if I have better picture, it isnt so easy to find tyre manufacturer :)

Sulland
27th January 2009, 23:45
Hmm, If I had paid for the Dunlop part on the front, I would have given the man tires as part of the deal.

Pity that he was not using Dunlop !

PLuto
28th January 2009, 00:07
Ok, Baumschlager has also agreement with Pirelli, but on Janner he has used Matador in one section...

Sulland
17th October 2009, 22:39
Is there any stats from IRC on what tyres the drivers have been competing on ?

Since the tyremanufacturers have signed up with IRC, it is a bit strange if these stats were not awailable !

Sulland
7th June 2010, 10:07
BFG is getting challenged !
Now we have both Yokohama and Hankook represented, but only with one car each so far.

Cetinkaya is using Yoko and Mikkelsen Hankook. Seemd like for the Sardinia surface the Yokohama tire had a few punctures, and that Hankook still have some development to do to fully match BFG.

But cool that teams dare to run something else than BFG, even if sponsorship has something to do with it....

Mirek
7th June 2010, 11:51
But cool that teams dare to run something else than BFG, even if sponsorship has something to do with it....

I wouldn't use word "even". It's very positive aspect of IRC in my opinion.

Sulland
31st August 2010, 21:22
Hankook halved their gap to BFG in Barum, Mikkelsen was happy with the feel, lets see how they are in hopefully dry asfalt in Italy.

Lets see if they come with a new gravel tyre for Scotland ?
Maybe Hankook has a plan for WRC in 2011 ??

If Yokohama are to do better they need more than one driver to develop, and they need a quick driver to do the job.

Gordini
1st September 2010, 14:35
Yes Yokohama needs more than looks !
:p

Sulland
1st September 2010, 22:14
What is wrong with looks ?

Maybe we will get a female F1 driver from the states that looks ok+ in 2011 ? :cheese:

Sulland
20th December 2010, 13:00
6. Tyres
6.1. During the running of the Rally, the use of tyres, their replacement, marking and
checking will be in accordance with the FIA Regional Rally Championship Sporting Regulations.
6.2. A maximum of 6 tyres will be allowed per vehicle between two service parks (or
between a service park and tyres service). These tyres will be marked at service parks exit (or
tyres service).
6.3. It is forbidden to change tyres between service parks unless there are spare tyres on
board. This change has to be done by the driver and/or co-driver.
6.4. Tyres are free between the start of the leg and the first service park and between the
last service park and the arrival of the leg.
6.5. For all competitors, tyres changes may only be carried out at service parks and/or tyres
service.
6.6. Tyre service zone: mechanics (maximum two per racing car) will only be able to change
tyres and fit the extra lights with the authorised material (jacks, chassis stands, wheel nut
spanners, torque wrench, plain water and ground sheets). All other mechanical intervention must
only be done by the crew with the sole on-board material.
One service vehicle <3,5 tonnes per racing car will be allowed in the tyre service zone.
6.7. Studs (Studded tyres regulations)
Only the cylindrical single point studs introduced through the outside of the tread are authorised.
They are in no case to go through the tread. They shall imperatively meet the following sizes:
- maximum base diameter : 6,5 mm, allowance included. Weight: 2 gr.
- stud profusion beyond the surface of the brand-new tyre : maximum 2 mm.
- total stud height including point : 15 mm. Tolerance MAXI 0,5 mm.
6.8. Density on the surface covered
The number of studs must not exceed 12 per any decimetre of the wheel circumference, except a
central band of 47 mm which must remain free.
6.9. The Clerk of the Course reserves the right to set up controls wherever they wish and to
remove some studs from the tyres for checking purposes.
6.10. Each infringement found will entail a 1800 seconds penalty (30 minutes).
6.11. Checks of the studs can be made, at any time, and will consist of the following
operations :
a) Reading of a tread print,
b) Removal of a stud for measuring purposes.
6.12. In case of using snow studded tyres are authorized, for car :
- R1
* Rims 6.5’’ x 15’’
* MICHELIN snow tyres 16/61-15 (width 208 mm on 6.5’’ rim, maxi regulation 8’’ that’s
to say 203.2 mm)
* PIRELLI snow tyres 165/80-R15
- R2
* Rims 6’’ x 15’’
* MICHELIN snow tyres 16/61-15 (width 199 mm on 6’’ rim, maxi regulation 8’’ that’s
to say 203.2 mm)
* PIRELLI snow tyres 165/80-R15
- R3
* Rims 7’’ x 17’’
* MICHELIN snow tyres 195/45-17 or 16/61-17 (following regulation 8’’)
* PIRELLI snow tyres 195/45-R17
- GT
* Rims width and diameter free
- N4/S2000
* Rims 8’’x18’’
* MICHELIN snow tyres 18/65-18 et 215/45-18
* PIRELLI snow tyres 235/40-R18

Does this mean that the S2000 cars must use 18" rims and the tyre dimensions mentioned ?
Crazy and very hard to drive on 215 or 235 tires on snow/ice, but that is how it has become. Quite some difference to the narrow snow tires from the past !!

Mirek
20th December 2010, 13:46
Yes, it's been same in Monte Carlo in several years. That's no news ;)

Sulland
13th May 2011, 14:29
Would be good to have tyrebrand on the timing service, or at least on the entrylist on the IRC page, and this timing: http://irc-results.com/2011/irc/corse/5irc.php

Mirek
13th May 2011, 14:57
It would be very difficult to keep it updated. Situation when privateer uses BFG on dry, Pirelli on wet and swaps them is not unique. In IRC there are no tyre nominations so only very few could be considered sure.

mousti
13th May 2011, 16:56
And also only Michelin and Yokohama are registered so u'll could only expect those two logos to show up on lists of the IRC