PDA

View Full Version : Little E and Teresa on the outs??

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2007, 02:28
Well, in my daily message from TSN up here in Canada, I get a bunch of links to stories that are new for the day, and usually the NASCAR stuff is pretty the stuff I am reading on the board already, so I feel good on getting a bit of a scoop on y'all....

Here it is: http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=191411&hubname=

The gist of it is Teresa and Dale Jr. are NOT seeing eye to eye, and Dale is I think never been a big fan of Teresa. Teresa I think resents the fact Dale didn't have a lot of time for her as a kid, and he is adamant that DEI was more or less set up for him to run, or at least, he figures that was what his Dad would have wanted. Teresa I think has other ideas, and doesn't think Dale wants to win bad enough.

You guys be the judge, I will weigh in with my thoughts after.....

Alexamateo
10th January 2007, 03:02
she's his evil stepmother! :p :

I side more with Jr. on this. You cannot question his desire to win, especially not lately. He has really matured a lot as a driver and things were really coming together for them towrds the end of the year. One of the writers at NASCAR.com is predicting a breakout year for him next year, even better than his 6 win 2004. I have to say I agree, he's due a breakout year.

Sparky1329
10th January 2007, 04:05
What is interesting to me is how much support Jr is getting about this whole deal from the racing sportswriters. I haven't read one column that was complimentary to Teresa or in agreement with what she had to say.

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2007, 04:19
I think both sides have a point. I have felt for some time that Jr is one of those guys who really needs to dial in and put the concentration in. He does more commercials than any other NASCAR guy I think, and more promo work and travelling. A lot of that is Teresa's doing, so for her to knock him for this is a bit of a joke. That said, Teresa has kept this team pretty close to the front so she cant be a fool, while Jr. deserves not to be chided for his off the track persona.

I think Jr. might be a great addition over at Roush, where his laid back attitude would likely be energized to the better by an intense but fair father figure like Jack Roush. Lets face it, if Roush could get Kurt Busch to a Championship, imagine how well Jr. would fit in there, espeicially working with his buddy Kenesth. There is a lot of respect there. Of course, it would be hysterically upsetting to Jr's fans who only see him in a Chevy, but alas, nothing lasts forever. God knows I will think that when I see Martin driving a Chev next year....

trumperZ06
10th January 2007, 15:19
:dozey: As the article says... Jr. & DEI had a tough time negotiating the last contract... three years ago. Things haven't changed a lot, since then. Although he did get the rights to his name back.

;) Jr., Kelly, and Kerry are involved in other businesses today, and with Bud sponsorship... it would be possible to set-up their own Nextel Cup team. I'm sure Chevy would help too !

Without Dale Jr., ... DEI isn't much...

Teresia is holding a pair of two's.. in a Texas Hold-em game.

This will be an ongoing story... and it might get interesting before it concludes.

harvick#1
10th January 2007, 15:26
I think both sides have a point. I have felt for some time that Jr is one of those guys who really needs to dial in and put the concentration in. He does more commercials than any other NASCAR guy I think, and more promo work and travelling. A lot of that is Teresa's doing, so for her to knock him for this is a bit of a joke. That said, Teresa has kept this team pretty close to the front so she cant be a fool, while Jr. deserves not to be chided for his off the track persona.

I think Jr. might be a great addition over at Roush, where his laid back attitude would likely be energized to the better by an intense but fair father figure like Jack Roush. Lets face it, if Roush could get Kurt Busch to a Championship, imagine how well Jr. would fit in there, espeicially working with his buddy Kenesth. There is a lot of respect there. Of course, it would be hysterically upsetting to Jr's fans who only see him in a Chevy, but alas, nothing lasts forever. God knows I will think that when I see Martin driving a Chev next year....

Michael Waltrip does the most commercials, hands down.

Also I think Chevrolet will do anything not to let Jr go

Sparky1329
10th January 2007, 16:57
If Dale Jr wasn't a "personality" Teresa wouldn't have her cash cow.

RaceFanStan
10th January 2007, 18:12
Let's just call a black cow a black cow ...
The majority of Dale Jr's fanbase came from his father ...
Budweiser spent big money to help promote Dale Jr ...
Teresa is trying to "play" Dale Jr but he isn't having it ...

Bottom line is that Dale Jr knows what butters his bread ...
Dale Jr wants more "me time" & less contract/sponsor obligations ...
Dale Jr realizes that DEI & Budweiser are the best combination for him & he WON'T walk away from it ...
Dale Jr will re-sign with DEI but not until after a lot of media hype & speculation occurs ...
People are talking about it & sorry to report that is exactly what all the hoopala is about. :s

Cindy_AL
10th January 2007, 18:33
she's his evil stepmother! :p :

:p :up:

:laugh:

BenRoethig
10th January 2007, 22:47
This could be good in the long run. I think Teresa wants to sell the team and really can't as long as Dale Jr's still there. Plus Earndardt+RCR+#3 'nuff said.

Jonesi
11th January 2007, 01:11
This could be good in the long run. I think Teresa wants to sell the team and really can't as long as Dale Jr's still there. Plus Earndardt+RCR+#3 'nuff said.

I don't see the logic in that. DEI without DE Jr (and probably Bud) is worth a lot less $, and wouldn't even be safe as the 4th place Chevy team.

RaceFanStan
11th January 2007, 03:06
I think the battlelines regard the ownership of DEI.
Teresa doesn't want to sell DEI or give up any part of the company.
On the other hand, Dale Jr feels he is "heir to the throne" at DEI.
Dale Jr wants part of the action at DEI, Teresa is resisting giving-up what is hers.

Contract negotiations between DEI & Dale Jr could get very intense.

Dale Jr seems to think he is entitled to DEI & I don't agree with his thinking.

Sparky1329
11th January 2007, 03:29
I think the battlelines regard the ownership of DEI.
Teresa doesn't want to sell DEI or give up any part of the company.
On the other hand, Dale Jr feels he is "heir to the throne" at DEI.
Dale Jr wants part of the action at DEI, Teresa is resisting giving-up what is hers.

Contract negotiations between DEI & Dale Jr could get very intense.

Dale Jr seems to think he is entitled to DEI & I don't agree with his thinking.

I think you're right on what the battlelines are all about but I have to disagree about Dale Jr's entitlement. While I don't think he's entitled to DEI as a whole I do think he and his siblings are entitled to have a say in the day-to-day operations of the place. I don't think Teresa is serving Dale's agenda very well on the racing side of things and that's what DEI is supposed to be all about. Dale gave his racing crew whatever tools they needed to remain competitive. Obviously Teresa isn't. Dale Jr made a comment two or three years ago that the "Boss lady needs to loosen the purse strings on the racing side".

Dale Earnhardt merchandise and memorabilia is still selling like hotcakes and probably will for a long time but that's not an infinite probability. If the racing side doesn't get what it needs to be competitive as a top ten organization the dominos will fall and DEI will end up on the scrap heap of NASCAR history. I think Dale's children, especially Kelley, know that.

Mark in Oshawa
11th January 2007, 05:07
We will never know what Dale Sr. wanted for DEI and how Jr. was to fit in this grand scenario. I think though this is a business that is built mainly on Jr.'s immense popularity. He may have gained that from his Dad, but he is his own man, with a much more laid back personality. He also hasn't won as much early as his dad, but that is ok, such is life.

That said, for all this supposive lack in getting to the winner's circle, he has won often, and done well enough to be in the top 5 of drivers in points more often than not, and he isn't a slug out there. His merchandising and commercial appeal bring in MILLIONS to DEI that they wont get if he leaves, unless of course someone close to Jr. in popularity walks in. I don't see that happening. What Teresa better grasp is, like it was said above, he is her meal ticket. I cant imagine him driving a Ford but I do know he would fit in at Roush, or Evernham's Shop, or with Tony Stewart over at Joe Gibbs. We all know if he went to Childress the insane attention that would bring and Hendrick would love to put him in the 25 and get that Bud money back. Budweiser will put this deal together if Dale wants it. Teresa needs Dale a hell of a lot more than Dale needs Teresa, and the only thing keeping him there is the name on the building.

For Teresa to call Jr.'s bluff, she ought to really be sure she has a backup plan because if he goes, it will be the end of the world for her future as a team owner unless she has another superstar lined up. I don't see that happening.

RaceFanStan
11th January 2007, 19:40
I've seen a rumor of Dale Jr in the #3 RCR Budweiser Chevrolet in 2008. :eek:
Dale Jr & Budweiser are rumored to jump from DEI to RCR ! :eek:
The car would be red as Richard said he would never run a black #3 again.

It stated that Dale Jr is unhappy with the politics at DEI & being treated just as a contract driver.
It said only partial ownership & a voice in decision making will keep Dale Jr @ DEI.

Take this as only a rumor, the source was not necessarily a good one. :s
(I only repeat it because it made sense & somewhat explained Teresa's comments.)

harvick#1
11th January 2007, 20:07
That would be the only place for Jr. to go to is RCR, plus having Harvick and Burton as plate drivers, that will be a great combination with Bowyer. RCR would once again, become the biggest threats to win at plate races

oldhippie
11th January 2007, 23:52
i bet jr feels closer to richard childress than he does the stepmom

Sparky1329
12th January 2007, 04:24
I've seen a rumor of Dale Jr in the #3 RCR Budweiser Chevrolet in 2008. :eek:
Dale Jr & Budweiser are rumored to jump from DEI to RCR ! :eek:

It stated that Dale Jr is unhappy with the politics at DEI & being treated just as a contract driver.
It said only partial ownership & a voice in decision making will keep Dale Jr @ DEI.

Take this as only a rumor, the source was not necessarily a good one. :s
(I only repeat it because it made sense & somewhat explained Teresa's comments.)

I don't know how credible that rumor is but I wouldn't be surprised to see Jr at RCR some day. The only way I'd like to see the #3 back on the track is with an Earnhardt in it. Maybe Jr has matured enough to pilot his dad's car. I think he's done a very good job of being his own man and not a clone of his dad. He just might be ready at this point. That would be Teresa Earnhardt's worst nightmare.

Sparky1329
12th January 2007, 04:25
i bet jr feels closer to richard childress than he does the stepmom

You might be right.

muggle not
12th January 2007, 16:54
Just a thought, could Harvick and Jr get along at RCR.

harvick#1
12th January 2007, 17:03
I think so, Harv really changed his attitude last year and everyone benefited

BenRoethig
12th January 2007, 18:05

If Bud, GM, and Dale Jr. came together and said they want to run Dale Sr.'s old scheme, I don't think he'd say no. I think the plan was for him to take over the 3 car when Dale Sr. eventually retired anyway.

BenRoethig
12th January 2007, 18:07

I think he's learned a lot about temperament from Jeff Burton.

RaceFanStan
12th January 2007, 19:19
If Bud, GM, and Dale Jr. came together and said they want to run Dale Sr.'s old scheme, I don't think he'd say no. I think the plan was for him to take over the 3 car when Dale Sr. eventually retired anyway.
I will take Richard Childress at his word.
He clearly said he would NEVER field a black #3.
He said one day he might run the #3 but it would NOT ever be black again.

As to Dale's replacement when he retired, it was widely reported that Dale had picked Kevin Harvick to take over.

RaceFanStan
12th January 2007, 19:35
People want to make their own predictions no matter what the facts are ...

Just like when Dale Earnhardt died, people tried to say Dale was blocking for his friend & his son,
what a bunch of bull that was, Dale was trying to keep 3rd for himself !
Dale was blocking no doubt but it was because his car faded after a few laps.
Dale Earnhardt wanted every position he could get, he hoped 2001 would be Championship #8 for him ...
if Dale's car had been good enough he would have been going for the lead !

Dale Earnhardt died trying to salvage a good finish, he was a racer, it was what he did.

Dale Earnhardt is sorely missed & his memory is still fresh to all of his fans ...
everytime they head for Daytona my mind dwells on the last lap of the 2001 Daytona 500.
So close to having the race over & disaster struck, I still get choked-up thinking about it. :(

Alexamateo
12th January 2007, 19:47

Just like when Dale Earnhardt died, people tried to say Dale was blocking for his friend & his son,
Dale Earnhardt wanted every position he could get, he hoped 2001 would be Championship #8 for him ...

Dale Earnhardt died trying to salvage a good finish, he was a racer, it was what he did.

Dale Earnhardt is sorely missed & his memory is still fresh to all of his fans ...
everytime they head for Daytona my mind dwells on the last lap of the 2001 Daytona 500.
So close to having the race over & disaster struck, I still get choked-up thinking about it. :(

I agree with that, Mikey & Jr. had the best two cars that day, and the DEI cars continued to show plate track dominence the next two or three years bear that fact out.

Dale would be like Lee Petty, who protested Richard's supposed first win, the protest was upheld and they gave the win to Lee Petty :eek: He'd say, "If he can beat me, he can have it, but nobody's giving him anything."

No, he was trying to bring home a 12th place car in 3rd, and that's why he was Dale Earnhardt, and that's why we miss him.

harvick#1
12th January 2007, 20:59
I will take Richard Childress at his word.

As to Dale's replacement when he retired, it was widely reported that Dale had picked Kevin Harvick to take over.

Harv was going to be Earnhardt as the successor, Earnhardt told Childress to hire him or else Earnhardt was going to at DEI. remember, Harvick was going to be in the third car until Earnhardt retired then he was going to be #1. but the death happened and everything came crashing in and the rest is history.

but I think Jr. would be better off at RCR than with DEI

Sparky1329
12th January 2007, 21:34

I still get choked up too, Stan. I also think you're right in the rest of your post.

Sparky1329
12th January 2007, 21:37

Good question. I think they would but you never know. Their personalities are very different.

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2007, 19:26
Jr gets along with everyone. Unlike some guys in NASCAR, I cant remember the last time Jr. got into a little feud with another driver. If he screws up, he admits it, even if it didn't appear to be a mistake by what the commentators would see on the TV.

Dale Jr. is his own man, and while his dad was respected and FEARED, Jr. is just a tough competitor but he is reasonable guy. I think the fact that Tony Stewart is a buddy of his says volumes about Dale's ability to fit in. Harvick in compasion to T-Stew is a pussycat.....

Mark in Oshawa
19th January 2007, 17:05
Another Update on this story through TSN's website. IT seems Teresa is now all peaches and cream towards Jr. If we believe this. I think someone got it into her head that Jr. is her sole meal ticket right now.....

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=192834&hubname=auto_racing

trumperZ06
19th January 2007, 21:25
Another Update on this story through TSN's website. IT seems Teresa is now all peaches and cream towards Jr. If we believe this. I think someone got it into her head that Jr. is her sole meal ticket right now.....

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=192834&hubname=auto_racing

;) Interesting comments... nice find!!!

Looks like...Teresa phoned Jr. after Jr.'s press interview at Daytona.

:dozey: Maybe Teresa's accountants mentioned that Dale's merchandise sales won't last forever.

:s mokin: Trumper

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2007, 06:03
Lets face the reality, would anyone top driver go to DEI right now if Jr. did leave? I would say Jr. is holding pocket Aces to Teresa's 9 8 offsuit....

muggle not
20th January 2007, 14:12
Hmmmm, anyone notice that DEI has signed Jeffrey Earnhardt, 17 yr old son of Kerry, to drive in the Busch East Series this year. Jeffrey has been doing some driving in the Pulaski, Virginia area.

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2007, 18:38
What a tough challenge to have that last name and then have to produce. Kerry never had the success that Dale Jr. had and it isn't really fair to the guy. He is a good father and probably Dale would be as proud of Kerry as he is of Jr. but the world wouldn't probably class Kerry as a "failure". It isn't right but that seems to be perceptions of some people. Now a grandson is coming up and will have to add to the Earnhardt legacy. Gotta be tough to be an Earnhardt.....

Jag_Warrior
20th January 2007, 20:33
"Right now the ball's in his court to decide on whether he wants to be a NASCAR driver or whether he wants to be a public personality," she said in the Dec. 14 story.

Hmm, pretty tough talk from someone who just married lucky.

Considering that if he left, the major sponsors would surely follow him (and probably a good portion of the crew too), maybe she needs to decide whether she wants to be the (figure)head of a successful NASCAR operation, or whether she just wants to be selling Dale, Sr. merchandise out of a trailer beside the track.

Personally, I'd like to see him go to RCR. I don't think the structure and discipline is there at DEI for him to win a championship. RCR (IMO) could provide that foundation... and they'd probably come up with some major perks to get him. But I'll be danged if I'd be the (major) meal ticket for someone who doesn't appreciate me.

Jag_Warrior
20th January 2007, 20:44
Hmmmm, anyone notice that DEI has signed Jeffrey Earnhardt, 17 yr old son of Kerry, to drive in the Busch East Series this year. Jeffrey has been doing some driving in the Pulaski, Virginia area.

Yeah, he drives Limited Sportsman at Shelor's Motor Mile Speedway. Kerry's driven there too.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd January 2007, 08:34
"Right now the ball's in his court to decide on whether he wants to be a NASCAR driver or whether he wants to be a public personality," she said in the Dec. 14 story.

Considering that if he left, the major sponsors would surely follow him (and probably a good portion of the crew too), maybe she needs to decide whether she wants to be the (figure)head of a successful NASCAR operation, or whether she just wants to be selling Dale, Sr. merchandise out of a trailer beside the track.

Personally, I'd like to see him go to RCR. I don't think the structure and discipline is there at DEI for him to win a championship. RCR (IMO) could provide that foundation... and they'd probably come up with some major perks to get him. But I'll be danged if I'd be the (major) meal ticket for someone who doesn't appreciate me.

I think Dale has done right by Teresa for putting up with some of the crap that has gone on. Remember the great switching of crew chiefs to get the 15 going? That was a mess, and it cost Jr. a shot at the chase. I think if he went to any one of Roush, RCR, Hendricks or Gibbs he would likely be a contender. I have to believe however what keeps him at DEI is he knows if he plays his cards right, Teresa is going to have to do a deal and let him have a LARGE if not Majority piece of the pie. Of course, they need more help, because I think DEI is in the second tier of teams below Roush, Hendricks, RCR and Gibb's. They need some help in the organization side and the behind the scenes stuff. Some might say the Eury's are not up to the standard either, but I think they are good for Jr. They have helped keep him grounded, and I think the team isnt' far away if Teresa just gets the people they need, and then goes back to selling Sr.'s image.

Alexamateo
22nd January 2007, 14:27

While I don't think she's handling everything correctly in this situation, I will defend her here. She did not just "marry lucky". SHe is from a racing background (the Houston family), so she's not a racing groupie or a wannabe model/actress. She has plenty of business savvy and was really one of the first to capitolize on marketing/licensing. Dale Earnhardt always had plenty of talent, but his personal life was a mess and interferred with his sucess in racing, before he met her. Maybe he could have/would have matured without her and become a champion. We'll never know because they did it together, but she deserves at least some of the credit for his success.

Lee Roy
22nd January 2007, 14:35
Nice post Alex.

Mihai
22nd January 2007, 17:35
Hasn't #3 been withdrawn from NNC? I think #99 was withdrawn from CART following the death of Greg Moore.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd January 2007, 17:47
I would never say she was lucky, I think she has a lot of great qualities as a person, but that said, I think running DEI is a little more than she bargained for, and while she did inherit the operation, there is no doubt in my mind that if Dale was still alive, some aspects would be different. I do know that if Teresa does have a problem with Jr.'s lifestyle, Dale Sr. would have just pulled him aside and had a conversation. Taking it to the press just pours gas on a fire.

I think she is learning though that Jr. is driving the bus right now, for better or worse. Therefore, she better reach an agreemet with him in a hurry, because if his contract is still up in the air by summer, it could send a shockwave through the garage. Not many drivers would be immune for the possibliity of having Jr. show up as a teammate or possibly taking their job....

RaceFanStan
22nd January 2007, 18:03
Hasn't #3 been withdrawn from NNC? .....
NASCAR doesn't retire numbers.
The #3 could be used in Nextel Cup anytime someone wanted to use it.

However a driver using the #3 would be compared to the driver who made the #3 famous, Dale Earnhardt.
The driver would be compared to a 7-time Cup Champion with 76 Cup wins.
Those are some big shoes to attempt to fill ...

I don't expect the #3 to be used in Nextel Cup anytime soon.
I think one day the #3 will return to Cup racing but it will be many years from now ...

Mark in Oshawa
23rd January 2007, 07:03
Stan, only one man could drive the number 3 and not get ripped by the fans and the press, and you are right, unless Mr. Childress knows something you and I dont know, it wont happen for a long while....

muggle not
23rd January 2007, 14:42
Take a look at these cars:

17 - formerly driven by D. Waltrip
43 - formerly driven by Richard petty
21 - formerly driven by David Pearson

They have/are being driven by drivers other than the one that made the car famous.

Sparky1329
23rd January 2007, 15:56
While I don't think she's handling everything correctly in this situation, I will defend her here. She did not just "marry lucky". SHe is from a racing background (the Houston family), so she's not a racing groupie or a wannabe model/actress. She has plenty of business savvy and was really one of the first to capitolize on marketing/licensing. Dale Earnhardt always had plenty of talent, but his personal life was a mess and interferred with his sucess in racing, before he met her. Maybe he could have/would have matured without her and become a champion. We'll never know because they did it together, but she deserves at least some of the credit for his success.

You're right Alex. Dale had nothing but bills when Teresa married him. I disagree with her approach and public comments but she deserves a lot of credit for Dale's financial success.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd January 2007, 16:12
The thing about the numbers on the cars is contrary to popular belief, they belong to the car owners, not the drivers. So RCR could run number 3 very easily if they wanted to, but the number is not run out of respect to the legacy of Dale Sr. by Richard Childress. As long as RCR is owned by Richard Childress, It wont change. He will have the rights to the number 3 and he will likely keep it off the track.

Richard Petty made the 43 famous, and his dad had 42. They also own 44 which was to be made famous by Kyle and the 45 which should have been Adam's. They own those number rights, and Petty Enterprises has allowed other drivers to use them because no one disputes who owns them and the King is still a fixture at the track. Kyle drives the 45 now Adam's memory, but I think if PE had better results, the numbers would mean more to race fans than they do.

People always associate car numbers with the drivers, but it is always the owners that have controlled those rights, and I think it will be a rude shock to many if Jr. left DEI and raced under a new number whether it be the 18 over at Gibb's, or the 99 at Roush, or some other number that is bought up by a team.

No numbers have ever been retired by NASCAR, although if I was running the sport, the 3 and 43 would have been, but considering the respect the owners of those two numbers have in the sport, it is likely why it didn't happen. In CART, the 99 was "retired" but when you consider they "unretired" the 14 of AJ Foyt it makes you wonder what the point was. Not only that, as much as I loved Greg Moore as a driver and what he brought to the table, I think the number retirement was a bit much in some ways, for many great drivers have died at the race track and their numbers were not even considered. I think in a sport where death is a possilbility you have to have some sort of guideline to why you "retire" a number and stick to it. What is more, it should be reserved for the truly legendary people in that sport alive or dead; in NASCAR, Dale Sr. and Richard Petty, in CC/CART/IRL, the 14 of AJ Foyt.

An interesting discussion...what number do you retire when a true great has had a few numbers over a career? DW had the 88 with Di-Gard, the 11 with Junior Johnson and the 17 with Hendricks and later on his own. You want to honour the guy, which number?? I think this is why NASCAR has never officially retired any numbers.....

Sparky1329
23rd January 2007, 16:28
NASCAR doesn't retire numbers.
The #3 could be used in Nextel Cup anytime someone wanted to use it.

However a driver using the #3 would be compared to the driver who made the #3 famous, Dale Earnhardt.
The driver would be compared to a 7-time Cup Champion with 76 Cup wins.
Those are some big shoes to attempt to fill ...

I don't expect the #3 to be used in Nextel Cup anytime soon.
I think one day the #3 will return to Cup racing but it will be many years from now ...

According to an article I read quoting Harvick he's glad to be out from under the Goodwrench paint scheme too. That's a lot of pressure for anybody.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd January 2007, 22:18
Harvick is his own man....until that paint scheme went away, people would compare him to what Sr. would have done in the same car....

Of course, Jr. has to live to that standard to, but at least it is his dad....Harvick just came fell into it...

Mark in Oshawa
24th January 2007, 16:00
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=193364&hubname=

Another twist in the story, so to speak, Now Jr. is defending Theresa. It seems Harvick was critical of her stewardship of DEI and Jr. being a fair guy stands up for her. I think whatever the state of their relationship was before his Dad died, the two of them are learning to live with each other, and it has ups, and it has downs.

BenRoethig
24th January 2007, 16:26
Jr has a lot of his father in him. No matter the situation between them, he felt defending Theresa was the right thing to do.

Harvick might have said it better, but I think he is right. Dale Sr. was the driving force behind that team. When he died DEI lost its leadership and vision. When Park got hurt and people left through normal NASCAR attrition, everything started to fall apart. Nobody has really been willing to take charge. The current state of the team and the death of the alliance between RCR and DEI were definitely not what Dale Sr. wanted.

Mark in Oshawa
25th January 2007, 16:18
The fact that there is no co-operation between RCR and DEI is one of the greatest screwups for DEI, for RCR has done very well.

Sr. would be dismayed, but I guess Thersa is doing the best she can, and she understands business up to an extent, just maybe not THIS business. That said, I don't see her as some sort of villian....

BenRoethig
25th January 2007, 16:27
The fact that there is no co-operation between RCR and DEI is one of the greatest screwups for DEI, for RCR has done very well.

Sr. would be dismayed, but I guess Thersa is doing the best she can, and she understands business up to an extent, just maybe not THIS business. That said, I don't see her as some sort of villian....

She isn't a villian, she's just way over her head. DEI would be best off if either Dale Jr. had the final say on the racing side or the organization was sold to a racing guy (like John Menard or Michael Andretti and Kim Green) and Dale Jr was allowed to leave for RCR. DEI doesn't have a leader. they have two people who want to be Chief.

Mark in Oshawa
25th January 2007, 16:39
The problem is I don't think Jr. has the nose for racing talent in the backrooms either. I think he is a good man, a good driver, but he isn't his dad. Heck, his Dad didn't always hire the right guys right off the top....and Teresa had to put Sr.'s personal finances in order....so the truth would be the neither of the two Earnhardts is capable of running the empire. Teresa knows how to count money, but I think she doesn't understand the dynamic of people management at DEI, and you have to know Jr. Isn't ready yet. Owner drivers rarely do well in Today's NASCAR unless they have someone acutally running the teams (Jeff owns half the 48, but lets face it, Hendrick runs it).

Sparky1329
26th January 2007, 05:47
Jr has his sister and she is gold as far as I'm concerned. I think Kelley might be a more competent business manager than her step-mother is.

Mark in Oshawa
27th January 2007, 18:51
Kelley likely is, but I suspect Theresa doesn't want Kelley running the show until she is satified that it is a good idea. I believe Kelley is smarter than either Theresa or Jr., but she has to be patient....

Sparky1329
27th January 2007, 19:31
According to some reports from Kelley she and her step-mother don't see eye-to-eye on very much, period. Make no mistake. Kelley is her father's daughter on a lot of levels including the racing business.

Mark in Oshawa
27th January 2007, 20:22
I think Kelley is ths source of most of the friction then, and that is a shame. I also think Kelley in the end will use Jr. to run the show in the end. At some point Theresa will just have to decide what is best for what Sr. wanted, and I am sure if he knew how smart Kelley was going to be, Kelley would have a role to play in the story....

Sparky1329
27th January 2007, 21:20
I think Kelley is ths source of most of the friction then, and that is a shame. I also think Kelley in the end will use Jr. to run the show in the end. At some point Theresa will just have to decide what is best for what Sr. wanted, and I am sure if he knew how smart Kelley was going to be, Kelley would have a role to play in the story....

I think you're way off base. You can gain more insight into the relationship of Dale Jr and his sister by reading this. http://www.amazon.com/Driver-8-Dale-Earnhardt/dp/0446612502

Mark in Oshawa
28th January 2007, 10:59
Sparky, I wasn't running down Kelley, and I know she is his sounding board and runs his personal business ventures. I am not buying a book to answer your post, but I am of the opinion, for what it is worth that the friction between Theresa and Kelley is part of the problem, because Kelley is doing what she feels is best for her brother, and Theresa wants to do what is best for the business. Those two goals don't always seem to be the same to the two of them, so they clash...

I think If Senior knew what a bright and intelligent daughter he had, with the nose for business she has, I am sure she would have have had a place in the empire....IF I am off base, tell me how rather than suggesting a book...

Sparky1329
28th January 2007, 18:01
Your use of the word "use" was a derogatory reference to Kelley as well as a stretch since you don't know the woman. I used a reference to Dale Jr's book so you could read his own words about his sister. My guess is that he would know more than you about their relationship and how he views his sister.

RaceFanStan
28th January 2007, 19:19
I think Kelley is ths source of most of the friction then, and that is a shame.
I also think Kelley in the end will use Jr. to run the show in the end.
At some point Theresa will just have to decide what is best for what Sr. wanted, and I am sure if he knew how smart Kelley was going to be, Kelley would have a role to play in the story....
Kelley is involved in Dale Jr's career because Dale Jr WANTS her involved !
You don't need to buy a book, just read this :
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/motorsports/nascar_plus/news/2003/02/01/earnhardt_sister_ap/

Cole_Trickle
29th January 2007, 09:57
Take a look at these cars:

17 - formerly driven by D. Waltrip
43 - formerly driven by Richard petty
21 - formerly driven by David Pearson

They have/are being driven by drivers other than the one that made the car famous.

Fortunately, those 3 are still alive today, also the fact that Dale died while driving the 3 car would 'mean' (for want of a better word) more then if he was still driving, but died doing something else, or died after retiring. (that's my theory anyway...)

Mark in Oshawa
2nd February 2007, 16:54
Sparky, I am not reading a book to figure this out. I read the SI article Stan quoted, and I have read many articles about Kelley and how she runs Dale Jr.'s enterprises. He relies on her and trusts her for a reason, she is his sister and there is a lot of love there.

Now you can debate on the effect all this is having on DEI, but please, say what you are talking about because I don't read a whole book to debate one guy on a forum.

Also, to the coward who keeps slagging me with neg. Rep points and calling me a Dumbass for this posting, you can debate me too chicken. Unless this is a personal attack because you have some axe to grind?

I wont stop posting here and if I am proven wrong on my OPINION, I am the first one to eat the whole crow feathers and all, but it seems a few guys on here are cowards. I wont justify me being a NASCAR fan since I have watched NASCAR for most of my life, and I will continue to get in your grill at times, so if you dont like it, prove me wrong, or lets have a debate. Of course, that would be the mature way to do it, but it seems a select few cant handle that.

RaceFanStan
2nd February 2007, 18:45
1. Sparky is quite knowledgable & she knows her NASCAR !
I will look for the book for myself because if Sparky recommends it I assure you it is a good read.

2. The fact is that Kelly looks out for Dale Jr's best interest.
I can't see Teresa feeling threatened by Kelly, DEI belongs to Teresa.
Kelly & Dale Jr have no claim to DEI unless Teresa gives it to them.

3. As to the negative rep I recommend ignoring it.
My guess is that the people who give it enjoy seeing their victims complain.
BTW, the more insulting a person is, the more that person become a target. :eek:

4. No-one said for anyone to quit posting here.
We see many opinions posted here, sometimes people agree, other times people disagree.
The main purpose of a forum is to share ideas & discuss different opinions.
When discussions can be executed in a civil manner the forum benefits.
However when anger enters into an opinion, people are not as open to discussing it.

Peace Out http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/hand/peace.gif

Mark in Oshawa
3rd February 2007, 06:52
Cool Stan. I don't disagree with a lot of what you said, or neccessarily all of what Sparky said now that I have re-read what I wrote and what she had wrote. However, I do stand by the fact the problem might be between Teresa and Kelley. I dont think they want it to be between them, and I do think Dale on some level probably feels DEI should be his someday. Kelley I am sure would agree but I guess in a family dispute like this, it is way more complicated than outsiders can comprehend.

The funny thing is, I suspect Teresa and Dale Jr. have sort of circled the wagons this last month, and while Kelley and Teresa may have an adversarial relationship in the next few months while they sort out Jr's future, it may just be posturing now for advantage, and maybe not that serious.

I guess we wait now for the next chapter in the story....

As for my crankiness, I have gotten enough bad rep from people from this one thread, and I just couldn't understand. Nuff said, I have to just learn to shut up and not get my Irish up.

BenRoethig
7th February 2007, 12:52
Latest from Jayski:

Junior to meet with DEI representatives: Representatives of DEI and Dale Earnhardt Jr. will meet on Wednesday to discuss Dale Jr.'s contract and ownership stake in the team. Earnhardt Jr., his sister, Kelley Earnhardt Elledge, who serves as his business manager, DEI competition director Richie Gilmore, and DEI's new president, Max Siegel are expected in the meeting. Teresa Earnhardt, the owner of DEI who also is Earnhardt Jr.'s stepmother, will not be at the meeting, by design. Gilmore said the parties wanted to try to keep the emotions to a minimum, and they wanted to keep Teresa Earnhardt and Dale Jr. separate. Dale Jr.'s contract with DEI expires in 2007, and he said during testing at Daytona that he wanted a greater stake in DEI, the company that his father started. Gilmore says the ownership stake in the team is still the major determining factor in the contract negotiation process for Dale Jr. (ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2756591))(2-7-2007)

They have to keep them separate? I give it 75% odds that Dale Jr. and Bud are over at RCR next year.