PDA

View Full Version : Crossing to the dark side

MrJan
16th January 2008, 10:16
Don't judge me but I'm thinking of getting a diesel for my next car. Thing is I'm looking for something fairly decent but the budget is a bit tight so was wondering what cars have good repuatations. It'll be towing so needs to be fairly hefty and I don't want to spend more than a grand. Preferably I don't want anything French either, unless people have had particularly good experiences with French diesels :D

Mark
16th January 2008, 11:14
Don't judge me but I'm thinking of getting a diesel for my next car.

Me too!

Preferably I don't want anything French either, unless people have had particularly good experiences with French diesels :D

PSA engines such as those found in Fords, Citroens and Peugeots have an excellent reputation.

Daniel
16th January 2008, 12:50
My 406 has an old style non-common rail turbo diesel 1.9 and while it's not as pokey as a comparable sized petrol it does pull well and when you're on motorways and such it can cruise along happily at speed and sill have a bit in reserve :)

I'd reccomend getting a common rail diesel for sure :)

I would reccomend a 406 2l 406 HDi 110bhp model :)

Donney
17th January 2008, 08:54
Some of us have been living in the dark side for ages :( in Spain, French Diesels are very, very common and have the reputation of being the best engines around.

It is not that bad once you get used to the noise and the dark fumes.

MrJan
17th January 2008, 13:33
Was looking at a few 406s in the Trader and they seem reasonably priced (although buying cheap cars is alwaysa minefield). I appreciate that the engine has a reputation but what about the rest of the car? Are they prone to rust, clutch failure or any of the other expensive problems that can occur?