PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear Australia and USA

Ranger
15th January 2008, 10:54
This is the worst TV idea I've heard in a while.
http://topgear.sbs.com.au/

For some reason, some fool in SBS Australia (who Broadcast the BBC Top Gear here) decided that it was a good idea to buy the rights to produce a contrived local franchise of the already quite brilliant BBC show.

WHY??

They obviously don't realise that Top Gear is an entertainment show and that there's really not anything that different down here that would sustain a whole new franchise of a show... I mean what can they do apart from what BBC Top Gear has already done?

Do exactly the same but with Holdens and Fords?
Do exactly the same but without the exotic destinations??
Do exactly the same but with less access to manufacturers????

Either change the name or don't produce it, SBS.

Sheesh.

Mark
15th January 2008, 11:03
I don't see why they can't just remake it with local presenters, discussing local issues, they can have challenges in Australia instead of the UK.

Only thing is that they need strong presenters, the reason Top Gear works is the banter between Hammond, May & Clarkson.

Ranger
15th January 2008, 11:20
Only thing is that they need strong presenters, the reason Top Gear works is the banter between Hammond, May & Clarkson.

Those 3 words right there prove my point.

I just don't see WHY they need to remake it, considering it already works in its present prime-time slot.

It's a contrived idea and it will be a contrived show. Though I'll happily be proven wrong.

rah
15th January 2008, 11:30
I know what you are saying, but I will give it a go. I hope the get a better test track than the brits. Something with an hill would be nice.

Mark
15th January 2008, 11:41
Those 3 words right there prove my point.

I just don't see WHY they need to remake it, considering it already works in its present prime-time slot.

It's a contrived idea and it will be a contrived show. Though I'll happily be proven wrong.

The same reason as any country will make a local version of a foreign show, because it will be more interesting to a local audience.

Put it this way, if Top Gear was made in Australia I wouldn't find it as interesting as I do the UK version, because I'm not Australian!

ShiftingGears
15th January 2008, 11:45
The same reason as any country will make a local version of a foreign show, because it will be more interesting to a local audience.

Put it this way, if Top Gear was made in Australia I wouldn't find it as interesting as I do the UK version, because I'm not Australian!

The problem is Australians wouldn't find it as interesting as the UK version! The great appeal about Top Gear is that it's got a universal appeal that I don't see any other car show coming close to matching.

Ranger
15th January 2008, 12:00

But this ain't Wheel of Fortune we're talking about here.

This is an internationally acclaimed show! If a show reaches that level (like Top Gear) then it has worldwide appeal and really cannot be surpassed in terms of interest by locally produced franchises of the same show.

It's already in the #1 SBS primetime slot so I don't see what the bloody hell needs changing!

Daniel
15th January 2008, 12:09
The problem is they won't find 3 good and funny motoring journalists in Australia.

You will probably end up with John Smailes, Bill Woods and Tolly Challis or some other such useless lineup :p

millencolin
15th January 2008, 12:36
The problem is they won't find 3 good and funny motoring journalists in Australia.

You will probably end up with John Smailes, Bill Woods and Tolly Challis or some other such useless lineup :p

nah, sbs are doing an 'open casting' for the position of 'hosts' on top gear. you do to their website and make a video about why you think you would be a good host for top gear.

Daniel
15th January 2008, 12:46
nah, sbs are doing an 'open casting' for the position of 'hosts' on top gear. you do to their website and make a video about why you think you would be a good host for top gear.

Of course I had a look at the site after I posted :p

Donney
15th January 2008, 13:07
I don't they'll make it better than the BBc but it is worth a try and who knows? There might be new Mays, Hammonds and Clarksons waiting to be discovered.

Drew
15th January 2008, 14:53
Top gear works because it has money, somebody with some amazing ideas, great presenters and good cameramen.

Whether it can work in Australia, I dunno, it'll be hard.

Spoonbender
15th January 2008, 14:58
Not sure what the point of James May is?? all he does is occasionally say the word "cock" when he loses and thinks that's funny. Mmm reminds me of another James in motorsport who's basicaly pointless, I wonder if May and Allen fancy doing a wine tour of Afghanistan?

maxu05
15th January 2008, 15:08
I have just read that the Americans (NBC) will also make their own version as well. It will be called simply "Gear". I don't think they (Aussie or US versions) will come close to the originals appeal. The Aussie version due to lack of budget, the US version due to a different sense of humor. I wonder if the US cars will burst into flames or explode like in the US movies :laugh:

Mark
15th January 2008, 15:09
I have just read that the Americans (NBC) will also make their own version as well. It will be called simply "Gear".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jan/15/bbc.television?gusrc=rss&feed=media

Because they don't understand the concept of gears? :p

SOD
15th January 2008, 16:19
Top Gear is off the wall in terms of content :D

needs a few outspoken presenters who are not afraid to upset anyone.

janneppi
15th January 2008, 16:30
It will probably be just as bad as the adaptations of shows like "Cracker" or "Coupling"

To put it as Clarkson would perhaps say, the Aussie version would be hosted by criminals and the US version hosted by a god squad. ;)

veeten
15th January 2008, 17:28
well, this should be interesting, to say the least.

BBC America is mostly on the Premium lists for Digital Cable & Satellite broadcast. It's major competition will be Motorweek, a locally produced (Owings Mills, Maryland) but nationally shown product on PBS and Speed Channel.
http://www.pbs.org/mpt/motorweek/

Not only do they show domestic and imported vehicles for presentation and test, but also do information, special interest, and even offbeat stories.
The show has been around for over 25 years, so it will be good to have some competition. :)

SOD
15th January 2008, 18:58
well, this should be interesting, to say the least.

BBC America is mostly on the Premium lists for Digital Cable & Satellite broadcast. It's major competition will be Motorweek, a locally produced (Owings Mills, Maryland) but nationally shown product on PBS and Speed Channel.
http://www.pbs.org/mpt/motorweek/

Not only do they show domestic and imported vehicles for presentation and test, but also do information, special interest, and even offbeat stories.
The show has been around for over 25 years, so it will be good to have some competition. :)

Top Gear used to do that consumer info type show.

The latest incarnation of G is that anygoes and the only cars that get tested are the high powered top of the range cars that Joe Blow couldn't buy.

Rollo
15th January 2008, 19:25
Top Gear is off the wall in terms of content :D

needs a few outspoken presenters who are not afraid to upset anyone.

That's why I need to be on this show. I don't mind telling the Australian motor industry what's wrong with it and where they they'll end up if they don't do something about it - Australian TV needs me on it; mainly because I'm King Brilliant.

Channel 10 has already had shows on it before where the presenters know nothing about what they're talking about. Namely the F1 broadcasts where Neil Crompton still managed to call them V10s some 12 GP into last season.

ShiftingGears
15th January 2008, 23:22

You will probably end up with John Smailes...

Oh dear god no.

That's why I need to be on this show. I don't mind telling the Australian motor industry what's wrong with it and where they they'll end up if they don't do something about it - Australian TV needs me on it; mainly because I'm King Brilliant.

Channel 10 has already had shows on it before where the presenters know nothing about what they're talking about. Namely the F1 broadcasts where Neil Crompton still managed to call them V10s some 12 GP into last season.

Do you mean 2006? Crompton only commentated on V8 Supercars last season.

CCFanatic
15th January 2008, 23:36
You cannot do it in the US. Unless you get the guys who run the show now. It would become crap, as the show would show stupid cars like SUV's and the most usless pieces of crap on American roads, pick up trucks. The nation does not need that many! Plus the US goes not have many fun cars. No FIATS, Alfa's, and Renaults.

Rollo
15th January 2008, 23:49
Do you mean 2006? Crompton only commentated on V8 Supercars last season.
Crommo still took segues and fill-ins between the ITV sections and on occasions when the satellite/soundtrack broke down.

I've already started on my application video and am going to mail it next Monday. The way I figure it, I still have some outside footage to shoot as well as editing some sequences.

Dammit I want this job - I will be/already am awesomeness incarnate :D

ShiftingGears
15th January 2008, 23:54
Crommo still took segues and fill-ins between the ITV sections and on occasions when the satellite/soundtrack broke down.

I've already started on my application video and am going to mail it next Monday. The way I figure it, I still have some outside footage to shoot as well as editing some sequences.

Dammit I want this job - I will be/already am awesomeness incarnate :D

In 2007 he was contracted to Channel Seven, not Channel Ten, so he didn't do any coverage of the F1.

Mark
16th January 2008, 07:21
Apparently they have already done a US edit of the UK version. Clarkon et al filmed new links between the features supposedly featuring "less US bashing" :D

Alfa Fan
16th January 2008, 07:38
And I assume episode 3 of season 9 was dropped altogether?

Mark
16th January 2008, 07:49
I don't know but I think many Americans would find it funny too :D

millencolin
16th January 2008, 08:17
In 2007 he was contracted to Channel Seven, not Channel Ten, so he didn't do any coverage of the F1.

you are absolutely corrert... plus Cromly knows everything :p :

Daniel
16th January 2008, 09:03
you are absolutely corrert... plus Cromly knows everything :p :
He knows nothing compared to Smailes :uhoh:

rah
16th January 2008, 09:44
I would pay money not to have smails there. If dicko gets the job I will refuse to watch.

raybak
17th January 2008, 07:17
I'm shooting my application video on the Australia Day weekend. We will have an Australian Stig complete with Flanny shirt and driving an XD ute Rally car.

I'll post a link to the video once it's done, maybe even on Youtube.

Ray

PS anyone interested in being in the audience for the Canberra edition of my Top Gear?

Azumanga Davo
17th January 2008, 08:02
I wonder if the US cars will burst into flames or explode like in the US movies :laugh:

Ford Pintos get dull after a while... ;)

Rollo
17th January 2008, 10:37
PS anyone interested in being in the audience for the Canberra edition of my Top Gear?

I'll think about it. Canberra aint that far away :D