PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season testing

ioan
14th January 2008, 18:51
Several teams were finally testing today in Jerez.
Guess who are fastest?! :D

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64682

SGWilko
14th January 2008, 19:55
Several teams were finally testing today in Jerez.
Guess who are fastest?! :D

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64682

I didn't see any mention of many spinners in the damp, but it looks like those with the new cars stayed in the pits until it dried out.

It is little surprise to see the top teams at the front...... :)

mstillhere
14th January 2008, 20:44
Hum.....I see....not much interest for Ferrari...hum....that's troubling..... :)

woody2goody
14th January 2008, 20:47
One thing i noticed from Jerez:

Nakajima a full TWO SECONDS slower than Rosberg.

I hope for his sake that doesn't continue. It probably won't but it is surprising nevertheless.

Osella
14th January 2008, 21:08
Don't think he's ever driven Jerez before in an F1 car though..?

And don't read too much into winter testing, remember in 2001 Jean Alesi was at the sharp end for Prost nearly every test... ;)

samuratt
15th January 2008, 10:29
As we all know testing lap times mean nothign if we do not know what they were testing...

But glad to see them all back at the track working, like i am doing right now at the officce.

Australia is getting closer! :)

Ranger
15th January 2008, 11:05
As we all know testing lap times mean nothign if we do not know what they were testing...
Indeed, and with only 3 teams at the test with the first incarnations of their actual 2008 cars testing today, its not exactly substantial proof.

One thing i noticed from Jerez:

Nakajima a full TWO SECONDS slower than Rosberg.

I hope for his sake that doesn't continue. It probably won't but it is surprising nevertheless.
His fastest race lap on debut in Brazil wasn't 2 seconds slower than Rosberg's, I'll say that. ]http://www.autosport.com/images/upload/1200390691.jpg[/IMG]
and:
http://www.autosport.com/gallery/picture_free.php/dir/2008jantest1/image/XPB_0WZY2O00NYJLOG05LGIDD-2

Donney
15th January 2008, 13:05
This helmet looks good and more Alonso-ish but the McLaren one was very nice too.

ArrowsFA1
15th January 2008, 13:30
Renault corporate is more colourful certainly.

Donney
15th January 2008, 14:47
Helmet detail:

http://f1.informativos.telecinco.es/imgsed/080115ases500.jpg

ioan
15th January 2008, 15:06
But glad to see them all back at the track working, like i am doing right now at the officce.

I don't think they have time to post on a forum! :D

ArrowsFA1
15th January 2008, 16:45
Fernando's back at Renault and quicker than anyone - report (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64699)

samuratt
15th January 2008, 17:21
I don't think they have time to post on a forum! :D

I am sure they could!!!! they are off their jobs at 5pm, and I am still working!!!! ;)

samuratt
15th January 2008, 17:25
Fernando's back at Renault and quicker than anyone - report (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64699)

Sweet !!!
I am sure he feels he has a lot to prove now (after last year at McLaren) and if the Renault is any good he will be there fighting!

Weird that in one session with the old car (which was not very good in Fishi's and Kova's hands) he has been able to top the times.

keysersoze
15th January 2008, 17:38

Someone will pop on and say, "Well, it's only testing, blah blah blah . . . "

But this is significant

In the 1:19s! Hmm, I wonder how Junior will respond?

On another note, it's good to see Fisi at least closer to the tail end of the timesheets than Liuzzi. Yesterday, he was in the 1:23s and GF is comfortably in the 1:20s.

mstillhere
15th January 2008, 17:43
Any news about Hamilton?

15th January 2008, 18:24
Any news about Hamilton?

Yes......the news is that the moderators here don't like you putting Youtube videos that light-heartedly poke fun at his relationship with Ron Dennis.

That's all the news.

Actually, he's not running. De La Rosa and Kovaleinen are in the Mclarens.

Donney
15th January 2008, 18:48
Sweet !!!
I am sure he feels he has a lot to prove now (after last year at McLaren) and if the Renault is any good he will be there fighting!

Weird that in one session with the old car (which was not very good in Fishi's and Kova's hands) he has been able to top the times.

That's unexpected even if testing is... just testing I'm sure it has meant quite a lot for him and for the team.

ioan
15th January 2008, 18:53
Yes......the news is that the moderators here don't like you putting Youtube videos that light-heartedly poke fun at his relationship with Ron Dennis.

That's all the news.

Not everyone has a developed sense of humor! ;)

Ranger
16th January 2008, 00:35
Fernando quickest despite no F1 experience since October... in a car he didn't know. Pretty solid effort I'd say. :up:

In other news... The RB4 will be launched in Jerez today and Coulthard will be testing it for the first time this arvo.

mstillhere
16th January 2008, 02:04

That's all the news.

Actually, he's not running. De La Rosa and Kovaleinen are in the Mclarens.

Actually I just found out that he's testing tomorrow/today.
I am also curious to see if LH, FA and the KR they all be minding their business or if we'll see Alonso and Hamilton getting at each other's throuts in daring (read:hostile) manoeuvring for example.

wmcot
16th January 2008, 06:46
Actually I just found out that he's testing tomorrow/today.
I am also curious to see if LH, FA and the KR they all be minding their business or if we'll see Alonso and Hamilton getting at each other's throuts in daring (read:hostile) manoeuvring for example.

It wouldn't surprise me to see LH and FA competing for the fastest lap in each session. Kimi will probably just get on with it like he always does.

janneppi
16th January 2008, 07:21
Someone will pop on and say, "Well, it's only testing, blah blah blah . . . "

But this is significant

In the 1:19s! Hmm, I wonder how Junior will respond?

Not knowing if others did fast laps, Alonso's normal lap times were apparently about two tenths faster than Fisi's in his shiny new Force India until he swithced to new tyres and ran with a light fuel load. A nice way show the 6500 Spaniards who were there he can still drive though.
How's that for blah blah blah's... :p :

Dzeidzei
16th January 2008, 08:10
Not knowing if others did fast laps, Alonso's normal lap times were apparently about two tenths faster than Fisi's in his shiny new Force India until he swithced to new tyres and ran with a light fuel load. A nice way show the 6500 Spaniards who were there he can still drive though.

Even though Fernando´s time is only a pr stunt, it would be great to have 8 cars running at the front side by side. Wouldnt is be great if things only gort better from last year and even Renault and BMW would be right up there...

Thats what a true fan wants. And his driver to win it all, of course :)

janneppi
16th January 2008, 08:47
Indeed, that's also what this keen follower of F1 would like to see, that and Kimi and Heikki thoroughly beating their team mates. ;)

samuratt
16th January 2008, 11:45
Indeed, that's also what this keen follower of F1 would like to see, that and Kimi and Heikki thoroughly beating their team mates. ;)

Heikki has to beat his tester partner first ;)

Ranger
16th January 2008, 12:15
Zang! Harsh but true. ;)

Before I offend a certain Finnish moderator, I still think HK will do well this year. :p :

keysersoze
16th January 2008, 13:06

So . . . what you are saying is that Alonso DID try to demonstrate his ulltimate pace, that this testing session was more than merely "testing" new aero or various setups, and that it is a legitimate example of the Renault's capablities.

Thanks for validating my point. :D

janneppi
16th January 2008, 13:39
So . . . what you are saying is that Alonso DID try to demonstrate his ulltimate pace, that this testing session was more than merely "testing" new aero or various setups, and that it is a legitimate example of the Renault's capablities.

Thanks for validating my point. :D
I'm sure that's pretty much as fast as Alonso could drive the car that day, were others driving as close to the limit or with same fuel loads and fresh tyres is anyone's guess. Which is why comparing lap times to other drivers and teams is rather futile. The real work in the test was done on the 65 laps he drove to get a feel for the car and test setups, the fast lap(laps) were just for the show. Which I have no problems with.

As Alonso himself said, lap times in testing aren't very important. Was he also validating your point? ;)

janneppi
16th January 2008, 13:41
He can be five seconds slower than Delarosa in testing for all I care if he's ahead of Hamilton in points after the season is over. :p :

samuratt
16th January 2008, 14:45
Zang! Harsh but true. ;)

Before I offend a certain Finnish moderator, I still think HK will do well this year. :p :

I do want him to do well this year too!!!! do not get me wrong. :)

I will be very pleased to see him beating Hamilton on everyrace.

OTA
16th January 2008, 16:00
In my opinion testing times don't say much, but if my memory doesn't fail me it's pretty much the first time that Renault have top the sheets since 2006. Also, agreing in the fact that time could be put for the show, it's allways better to start with the right foot. I'm sure Renault people were happy about being in the spot light again.

My take, FA will fight for WDC.

Cheers
David

keysersoze
16th January 2008, 16:42
As Alonso himself said, lap times in testing aren't very important. Was he also validating your point? ;)

Like most people with true wisdom, Alonso is way, WAY too smart to be completely frank.

ShiftingGears
17th January 2008, 23:37
The new RBR has an engine failure during testing. I really hope this isn't going to be a repeat of last year.

gloomyDAY
18th January 2008, 06:40
The new RBR has an engine failure during testing. I really hope this isn't going to be a repeat of last year.
Should have gone with Ferrari engines.

ioan
18th January 2008, 11:59
Should have gone with Ferrari engines.

And when I think that Newey said the Renault engine was better to work with

Ranger
18th January 2008, 12:03
The Toro Rosso/Ferrari was more unreliable than the Red Bull/Renault last year... but they made less of a deal out of it because they were never in high enough positions when they blew up for anyone to really notice.

gloomyDAY
19th January 2008, 02:56
The Toro Rosso/Ferrari was more unreliable than the Red Bull/Renault last year... but they made less of a deal out of it because they were never in high enough positions when they blew up for anyone to really notice.Do I know this? Of course. But I still like to poke at the A-team a little bit. :D

Back on topic! I'm glad to see a lot of teams racking up valuable data. Especially excited that Glock managed to put Toyota ahead of McLaren on the sixteenth.

All the driver's seem to be getting comfortable in their new cars.

woody2goody
19th January 2008, 18:17
Looks like it's going to be a close season again this year, especially in the midfield. Nakajima will be closer to Rosberg than he was in testing, it just surprised me at the time.

Fernando's new helmet looks great, and I do wish him well this year.

And Fisi doing a good job in the Force India is a good sign for them.

22nd January 2008, 17:49
Valencia Test Times

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64804

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:12.182 97 *
2. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:12.721 100 *
3. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:12.838 80 *
4. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:13.026 100 *
5. de la Rosa McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:13.163 107 *
6. Alonso Renault (B) 1:13.316 133 *
7. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:13.473 89
8. Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:13.627 86
9. Asmer BMW-Sauber (B) 1:13.669 44
10. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:13.675 73
11. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber (B) 1:13.779 80 *
12. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:13.820 69 *
13. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:13.944 70 *
14. Glock Toyota (B) 1:14.095 76 *
15. Liuzzi Force India-Ferrari (B) 1:15.095 64
16. Wurz Honda (B) 1:15.440 49

* 2008 car

samuratt
22nd January 2008, 17:53
It looks like Ferrari is one step ahead of the rest!

woody2goody
22nd January 2008, 19:02
I'm worried for BMW if that's their true pace with the new car.

That's still pretty impressive from Marko Asmer in the old car.

I'm impressed by Rosberg I think he's going to have a good year, and also that's better from Nakajima today :)

I don't think Alonso will fight for the championship but he'll be on the podium a few times, and Renault (not necessarily Fernando) could win one this season. It will be interesting to see how Fernando stacks up against Nelsinho.

wmcot
22nd January 2008, 20:36
Honda is worryingly at the back of the pack!

samuratt
23rd January 2008, 11:57
Honda is worryingly at the back of the pack!

are you surprised??? they're just picking it up where they left it last year... :)

Robinho
23rd January 2008, 13:14
Last years, undriveable, rubbish honda, now without TC at the back - of course it is, i wait to judge the new car on its own merits, although i don't share all of the optimism coming from Brackley and Japan

23rd January 2008, 16:36
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64821

1. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:11.000 92 *
2. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:11.662 81 *
3. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:11.850 108 *
4. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:12.076 115 *
5. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:12.255 93
6. Alonso Renault (B) 1:12.360 111 *
7. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:12.493 117 *
8. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:12.594 87 *
9. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber (B) 1:12.976 51 *
10. Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:13.015 63
11. Glock Toyota (B) 1:13.129 95 *
12. Kubica BMW-Sauber (B) 1:13.230 121
13. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:13.307 118
14. Sutil Force India-Ferrari (B) 1:13.409 98
15. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:13.547 96 *
16. Barrichello Honda (B) 1:14.588 36 *
17. Kogure Honda

Ranger
23rd January 2008, 23:42
That new BMW is almost worryingly slow. :\ Looks like Williams and Renault have got the jump on them... but I'll wait and see on that one.

Looks like Toyota and Honda are hitting that rut again.

woody2goody
24th January 2008, 00:36
Yeah the pace of the BMW worries me too, considering how I picked them to finish a close third this year. I almost said third 'again'; I forgot they were actually <gifted> second last year.

I hope they come good. There still could be 6 or 7 teams fighting for podiums based on the performance so far, and some team's expected improvements.

Also, don't take note of the slow times from Honda today, Hulkenberg did about the same time shaking down the FW30 earlier in the week.

wmcot
24th January 2008, 01:19
Looks like Kovalainen is going to be competitive and may give Lewis a run for his money (if Ron lets him.)

woody2goody
24th January 2008, 01:35
I agree. I hope Kovy and Lewis both win lots of races between them.

I heard Flavio Briatore's comments about Alonso coming back, and he was talking about Nelsinho Piquet. His comments saying 'Nelson has a great opportunity to be team-mate to Alonso', and 'I am not Ron Dennis' basically translate as 'Fernando is our number one and Nelson has to accept that or he doesn't have a job.'

It's a shame as I fear if Nelsinho shows he's equal to or faster than Fernando, he will possibly be shot down for Fernando to take wins/a title if the opportunity arises.

wmcot
24th January 2008, 07:02
Jarno Trulli is stating that other unnamed teams are using a form of traction control or launch control already. I wonder if it's true or he's covering for the lack of Toyota's pace?

samuratt
24th January 2008, 10:21
I agree. I hope Kovy and Lewis both win lots of races between them.

I heard Flavio Briatore's comments about Alonso coming back, and he was talking about Nelsinho Piquet. His comments saying 'Nelson has a great opportunity to be team-mate to Alonso', and 'I am not Ron Dennis' basically translate as 'Fernando is our number one and Nelson has to accept that or he doesn't have a job.'

It's a shame as I fear if Nelsinho shows he's equal to or faster than Fernando, he will possibly be shot down for Fernando to take wins/a title if the opportunity arises.

If i remember correctly Fernando was shot down last year by his own team boss in order to let Lewis take the shot a the title, which he finally lost. What Flavio is saying is that he is not going to loose a title you almost had in the bag by taking stupid decisions, like Ron did.

Please do not make your own translations for your own good, and post the link (to Flavio's words) if you have it so we all can have a biased opinion of our own, and not just yours.

thanks! :devil:

samuratt
24th January 2008, 10:26
Jarno Trulli is stating that other unnamed teams are using a form of traction control or launch control already. I wonder if it's true or he's covering for the lack of Toyota's pace?

I read, in a spanish sports newspeper (not too realiable) that Toyota even had documents that could prove this. The newspaper refered to the top teams as the possible cheaters, though Jarno didn't want to point the finger. Jarno said that you could hear a different engine roar on some cars when going through slow corners and on low gears...

Maybe be possible technically to have a TC even if you are using the ECU????

ioan
24th January 2008, 10:31
I read, in a spanish sports newspeper (not too realiable) that Toyota even had documents that could prove this. The newspaper refered to the top teams as the possible cheaters, though Jarno didn't want to point the finger. Jarno said that you could hear a different engine roar on some cars when going through slow corners and on low gears...

Maybe be possible technically to have a TC even if you are using the ECU????

We will find out son enough if some teams found a way to have TC while using the standard ECU or if Toyota are enable to do what is needed to have a fast TC-less car.

Osella
24th January 2008, 11:44
Maybe, given the fact that Toyota are rubbish, they just haven't thought of a neat (legal) circumvention of the rules as other teams will undoubtedly have been looking for since day one!
It's only this year they have started to (kind of) undercut their sidepods etc, and they wonder why they're not winning :?: :!: Perhaps instead of complaining, they should work harder and think more laterally.

samuratt
24th January 2008, 17:04
We will find out son enough if some teams found a way to have TC while using the standard ECU or if Toyota are enable to do what is needed to have a fast TC-less car.

I think think the first is probable while the second is just utopic!!!! :)

keysersoze
24th January 2008, 18:06
Good to see Force India make significant progress this week, from Liuzzi's 1:15 to Sutil's 1:13.4 to Fisichella's 1:12.9 (and only 1.8 seconds from the pace).

mstillhere
24th January 2008, 19:42
Last day of test in Valencia today and Ferrari (Kimi) eneded the testing session 1st again and without mechanical issues. I know that these are just tests, but I hope that this is a newfound winning car.

Juppe
24th January 2008, 19:56

Please do not make your own translations for your own good, and post the link (to Flavio's words) if you have it so we all can have a biased opinion of our own, and not just yours.

thanks! :devil:

Here you go:

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/10/02/briatore-tells-alonso-he-s-welcome-at-renault/

Briatore believes Alonso would have never left Renault if he would have known he would receive the same treatment as a rookie driver. "If they told Fernando before he signed the contract he would not receive any sort of advantage he would have never left us," Briatore told Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport. "When you hire a champion you must give him the number one status in your team."

and here:

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/11/20/briatore-hints-at-alonso-decision-this-week/

"Alonso knows us well as human beings and that's important," he went on. "The last season has been difficult for him. It may have even changed his personality. We'll talk, I want to see where he wants to go. At McLaren he arrived as the world champion and he was put in competition against a rookie driver: that way the relationship inside a team is put in danger. You can't have two primadonnas inside a team. You need to get behind one of the drivers."

We all saw that in the news so no need to accuse anybody of biased opinions...

Jake74
24th January 2008, 20:00
Here are the results of the 3rd day of testing in Valencia:

Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1m11.189 88 laps
Heikki Kovalainen Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m11.206 89
Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m11.831 96
Kazuki Nakajima Williams 1m11.971 116
Lewis Hamilton Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m11.994 84
Robert Kubica BMW Sauber 1m12.095 86
Jarno Trulli Toyota 1m12.109 96
Sebastian Vettel Toro Rosso 1m12.526 113
Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 1m12.600 39
Giancarlo Fisichella Force India 1m12.949 93
Nelson Piquet Renault 1m12.973 89
Sebastien Bourdais Toro Rosso 1m13.060 95
Mark Webber Red Bull Racing 1m13.133 15
Timo Glock Toyota 1m13.134 68
Nico Hulkenberg Williams 1m13.306 74
Jenson Button Honda Racing 1m13.689 80
Takashi Kogure Honda Racing 1m15.703 25

jens
24th January 2008, 22:30
Actually Trulli talked about launch control, not traction control, which doesn't affect lap times. So I doubt they are thus trying to find a direct 'reason' for their average overall pace. But wonder what happens next. If no-one else starts complaining and Toyota "silences", then probably they have had some issues on their own car to solve.

About testing. Well, Ferrari seems to have a slight advantage over McLaren, but indeed a slight one. It looks like the same teams are going to achieve the majority of race wins and also the majority of podium places once again.

An interesting scrap for third place. Williams seems to be very good. It turns out that Rosberg had a real reason to be optimistic about Williams and extend his contract. Renault looks like a strong contender for 3rd as well, but they seem to be some way behind Top2. BMW-Sauber indeed makes me worried. It's even hard to believe that they have got it wrong as it's hard to find a clear weakness in the team. Probably BMW tried to take huge risks to try to get as close to the top as possible, but it hasn't paid off. Especially Heidfeld has complained about car's stability. It's still unclear whether that's a fundamental flaw or... they have put too many wings on the car? :p :

I have become more optimistic about Toro Rosso's prospects than I was before tests. Red Bull's RB4 really doesn't seem spectacular and STR-s RB3 updated version seems to run nicely, so not impossible that STR will do "an Aguri" this year - B-team beats A-team.

Unsurprisingly Toyota is struggling. The car seems about up to 1,5 seconds slower than Ferrari in terms of pace. They have driven a lot of laps with good reliability, but lack of speed is obvious. It seems like that the maximum Toyota may achieve this year is to fight with two Red Bull teams for 6th in the WCC, but I'm afraid even that is too optimistic. :( Toyota is a team that scores mostly points "on merit", which means that in 'strange' races (SC-sessions, rain) they drop with wrong decisions to nowhere. Also - Williams and Toyota co-operate a lot, but it's Williams, who gains, and Toyota, who loses...

Force India is a positive surprise and it's even a bit hard to believe their lap times as they haven't introduced their new car. I guess they are trying to make themselves look a bit better than they are, but on the other hand there is no reason to underestimate Gascoyne & Co, who showed some promise already at the end of last year. If Force India can really surprise, then we even might see all the three Japanese teams finishing in the last 3 positions in the WCC. :eek:

ShiftingGears
24th January 2008, 23:00
Here are the results of the 3rd day of testing in Valencia:

Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1m11.189 88 laps
Heikki Kovalainen Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m11.206 89
Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m11.831 96
Kazuki Nakajima Williams 1m11.971 116
Lewis Hamilton Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1m11.994 84
Robert Kubica BMW Sauber 1m12.095 86
Jarno Trulli Toyota 1m12.109 96
Sebastian Vettel Toro Rosso 1m12.526 113
Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 1m12.600 39
Giancarlo Fisichella Force India 1m12.949 93
Nelson Piquet Renault 1m12.973 89
Sebastien Bourdais Toro Rosso 1m13.060 95
Mark Webber Red Bull Racing 1m13.133 15
Timo Glock Toyota 1m13.134 68
Nico Hulkenberg Williams 1m13.306 74
Jenson Button Honda Racing 1m13.689 80
Takashi Kogure Honda Racing 1m15.703 25

Red Bull is worryingly slower than the Toro Rossos... I hope it isnt a true indication of pace.

ShiftingGears
24th January 2008, 23:23
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64842

BMW by their own admission are lacking in pace so far.

Sleeper
24th January 2008, 23:58
I'm not going to pay too much attention to how things have gone so far as testing has only just started, its in the middle of February that we will se just were everyone is, not January.

samuratt
25th January 2008, 08:41
Here you go:

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/10/02/briatore-tells-alonso-he-s-welcome-at-renault/

and here:

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/11/20/briatore-hints-at-alonso-decision-this-week/

We all saw that in the news so no need to accuse anybody of biased opinions...

Any opinion is biased for the only reason of being an opinon. I wasn't acussing anybody, i was just acussing an opinion of being biased :)

Juppe
25th January 2008, 10:57
Any opinion is biased for the only reason of being an opinon. I wasn't acussing anybody, i was just acussing an opinion of being biased :)

You could have just said: "oh sorry, he did say that after all..."

Dzeidzei
25th January 2008, 12:05
Red Bull is worryingly slower than the Toro Rossos... I hope it isnt a true indication of pace.

I hope the last day of Valencia testing isnt the whole picture of 2008. Who could stand a Finnish 1-2 every weekend. Now that would be boring...

:)

ioan
25th January 2008, 12:30
I hope the last day of Valencia testing isnt the whole picture of 2008. Who could stand a Finnish 1-2 every weekend. Now that would be boring...

Don't worry! :D

ShiftingGears
25th January 2008, 13:01

I'm sure you'd hate it :p :

waitey
25th January 2008, 13:15
i hope BMW will improve and not actually lose their place as the third best team. I agree, I think they have probably designed a car totally different to last year's in a bid to make a championship/winning car and it is either going to pay off or not. Seems like they are having some problems, but a bit better for kubica to be 6th. Heidfeld and the others are saying it will be fixed by Melbourne or Barcelona at the next test.

Surely, come February, if they are still having problems they can start the season with an updated version of last year's car. Maybe it would have been smarter to evolve last year's car more, rather than taking a huge risk and changing the car a lot.

F1boat
25th January 2008, 14:29

Bernie will get a hearth attack if his prescious championship turnes into a Finnish competition ;)

SGWilko
26th January 2008, 21:23
hearth attack

Is that what happens when the fire guard falls over.....? ;) :laugh:

gloomyDAY
27th January 2008, 00:49
Red Bull is worryingly slower than the Toro Rossos... I hope it isnt a true indication of pace.STR is looking pretty good baby. I know, I know. It's only testing, but I'd love to see the Seb's take some glory this season.

Is that what happens when the fire guard falls over.....? ;) :laugh: LOL!

gjalie
1st February 2008, 16:24
catalunya testing times at 17:17 local time

1. L. Hamilton McLaren MP4-23 1:22.263 84
2. F. Alonso Renault R28 1:22.889 +0.626 61
3. R. Kubica BMW Sauber F1.08 1:22.983 +0.720 66
4. G. Fisichella Force India F8-VII 1:23.015 +0.752 100
5. N. Heidfeld BMW Sauber F1.08 1:23.270 +1.007 53
6. G. Paffett McLaren MP4-23 1:23.349 +1.086 47
7. N. Piquet Jr. Renault R28 1:23.367 +1.104 46
8. S. Vettel Toro Rosso STR2 1:23.387 +1.124 90
9. N. Rosberg Williams FW30 1:23.453 +1.190 12
10. D. Coulthard Red Bull Racing RB4 1:23.491 +1.228 60
11. M. Webber Red Bull Racing RB4 1:23.547 +1.284 63
12. S. Bourdais Toro Rosso STR2 1:23.836 +1.573 65
13. K. Nakajima Williams FW30 1:23.955 +1.692 35
14. R. Barrichello Honda RA108 1:24.125 +1.862 55
15. A. Wurz Honda RA108 1:26.975 +4.712 26

source: http://www.f1today.nl/live-update/2008/02/01/circuit-de-catalunya/

jens
1st February 2008, 16:37
That would be awesome if Force India could be that quick in race conditions too. :up:

http://www.f1today.nl/fotos/x2kqn4g82.jpg
BMW has got even more winglets and if the laptimes show anything, then maybe they have been useful.

Nikki Katz
1st February 2008, 21:25
Honda have been absolutely horrible so far, miles behind everyone else in every session. I hope this isn't carried on to the season.

keysersoze
1st February 2008, 22:51
Force India should ALWAYS have the Fish test on day one. That way, they can make some early, substantial gains to help the other drivers. He was .5 quicker than Sutil in the last test, and 2 seconds up on Liuzzi. I'm inclined to think both will be much closer after GF in the next two days. Perhaps the vet will stick around to coach the young lions.

Well done, Giancarlo. Pretty mega day!

fandango
2nd February 2008, 18:38
I was out at the circuit (de Catalunya) yesterday for a while. Great to hear the sound of F1 engines again. I was amazed at the set up and access, and how many people were there. Car parks full, lots of people, whereas years ago you could just wander in and there'd be about three stalwarts standing around. Just shows the influence one person can have.

In the grandstand there was a biggish group opposite the Renault garage, all adoring, and another biggish group way down the other end opposite McLaren. They were there to see one man, and there wasn't much adoration. The relentless barrage of insults and slagging directed at Hamilton was astonishing. One guy even went to the trouble of bringing a loudhailer. All very good-natured, though.

I didn't see the Williams crash, and I didn't know about it til later, but I did notice that the gravel trap has been moved right back at the first corner. This means of course that what happened at the start last year, where Alonso went off trying to go round the outside of Massa, won't have such consequences. It seems less safe to me, considering the speed cars are at approaching that corner.

Although Hamilton was fastest, he looked the least stable under braking, whatever it was they were testing. And the poor old Hondas really don't impress. Kubica seemed to be pushing a lot, very entertaining to watch.

gloomyDAY
3rd February 2008, 01:26
1. Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:21.679 89
2. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:21.782 88
3. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:22.135 80
4. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:22.511 70
5. Kubica BMW-Sauber (B) 1:22.833 90
6. Alonso Renault (B) 1:22.938 115
7. Piquet Renault (B) 1:23.002 115
8. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:23.020 75
9. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber (B) 1:23.070 94
10. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:23.322 85
11. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:23.347 34
12. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:23.948 40
13. Button Honda (B) 1:23.959 58
14. Liuzzi Force India-Ferrari (B) 1:24.263 61

STR...I'm very eager to see how the season unfolds for the B-team.

Ranger
3rd February 2008, 01:59
Those STR times were both on quali simulations though, so it doesn't really say anything.

janneppi
3rd February 2008, 09:44
In the grandstand there was a biggish group opposite the Renault garage, all adoring, and another biggish group way down the other end opposite McLaren. They were there to see one man, and there wasn't much adoration. The relentless barrage of insults and slagging directed at Hamilton was astonishing. One guy even went to the trouble of bringing a loudhailer. All very good-natured, though.

I'm not sure the derogative shouts about Hamilton's skin colour are made in good nature, it surely doesn't make the spanish F1 followers look good.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUKL0343600820080203

ShiftingGears
3rd February 2008, 10:19
I'm not sure the derogative shouts about Hamilton's skin colour are made in good nature, it surely doesn't make the spanish F1 followers look good.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUKL0343600820080203

They definitely make Spanish fans look like morons, which is unfortunate.
However I don't think calling him a "black ****" is racist. It's just calling him a ****, except stating a characteristic about him. That isn't racist.

Rover V8
3rd February 2008, 14:40
They definitely make Spanish fans look like morons, which is unfortunate.
However I don't think calling him a "black ****" is racist. It's just calling him a ****, except stating a characteristic about him. That isn't racist.

Im not sure I'd want to rely on that defence if I was being accused of racist behaviour- it sounds pretty damn racist to me....

markabilly
3rd February 2008, 15:31
point is being called black should not be treated any differently than being called white, man, female,

Unfortunately certain words have acquired a perjorative meaning that mean because you are black, you are inferior because of your skin color, and it is intended as an insult and a racist insult.

F1boat
3rd February 2008, 17:32
point is being called black should not be treated any differently than being called white, man, female,

Unfortunately certain words have acquired a perjorative meaning that mean because you are black, you are inferior because of your skin color, and it is intended as an insult and a racist insult.

Racist or not, it is amazingly stupid. Here we are, not commenting the great times of RB teams, but the idiocy of a small group.

janneppi
3rd February 2008, 18:17
Yeah, let's keep this thread for testing, use the other thread for the other issue. :)

wmcot
4th February 2008, 07:55
Those STR times were both on quali simulations though, so it doesn't really say anything.

Except that I don't think they would have topped the time sheets last year under ANY conditions!

mstillhere
4th February 2008, 20:04
Wow!! I definetly was not expecting Kimi posting such fast times on the very first day of testing. I think it's lower than last year's pole position time (I think). Not bad as teh Ferrari response to McLaren fast times in Spain.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41725

ArrowsFA1
5th February 2008, 13:40
Glock's effort was 0.5s quicker than Trulli's Q time, so as ever the cars go quicker and quicker year-on-year :s mokin:

Jake74
5th February 2008, 17:19
Wow!! I definetly was not expecting Kimi posting such fast times on the very first day of testing. I think it's lower than last year's pole position time (I think). Not bad as teh Ferrari response to McLaren fast times in Spain.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41725

Today Räikkönen was really flying in Bahrain!

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41734

Testing times from Bahrain (February 5)
1. RAIKKONEN Ferrari 1m30.595s
2. BADOER Ferrari 1m32.230s
3. GLOCK Toyota 1m32.889s
4. TRULLI Toyota 1m33.379s

mstillhere
5th February 2008, 20:03
Today Räikkönen was really flying in Bahrain!

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41734

Testing times from Bahrain (February 5)
1. RAIKKONEN Ferrari 1m30.595s
2. BADOER Ferrari 1m32.230s
3. GLOCK Toyota 1m32.889s
4. TRULLI Toyota 1m33.379s

I am amazed by these times but I don't dare thinking that's real stuff. I don't want to jinx it. But if only these times were to be the same on the track during the normal season...oh boy..... but NO!! I don't want bring my hopes too high... :)

Tazio
5th February 2008, 20:24
I think Kimi likes the new Ferrari

woody2goody
5th February 2008, 20:26
It said that Toyota had problems with both cars so they probably weren't concerned about doing flying laps although I could be wrong.

Badoer's time could be about where their race pace is. If those times are also Toyota's race pace then that's good for them against Ferrari.

Valve Bounce
5th February 2008, 21:15
I think Kimi likes the new Ferrari

So do I . Think I'll go down to the dealership and order one. :p :

Tazio
5th February 2008, 22:02
So do I . Think I'll go down to the dealership and order one. :p : Could you pick one up for me as well!
Ferrari does need the money

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=33869

janneppi
6th February 2008, 10:15
I am amazed by these times but I don't dare thinking that's real stuff. I don't want to jinx it. But if only these times were to be the same on the track during the normal season...oh boy..... but NO!! I don't want bring my hopes too high... :)
Kimi drove a mock race with three qually attempts, of which fastest was 0.8 secs faster than Massa's Q2 time last year, "race laps" were apparently just below 1.32.
Ferrari ran a softer tyre now than in the race last year which should make much of the difference, colder temperatures 20C/28C probably playd some part.

Garry Walker
6th February 2008, 10:41
Kimi drove a mock race with three qually attempts, of which fastest was 0.8 secs faster than Massa's Q2 time last year, "race laps" were apparently just below 1.32.
Ferrari ran a softer tyre now than in the race last year which should make much of the difference, colder temperatures 20C/28C probably playd some part.

Comparison with race is irrelevant, due to temperature differences. Comparison with testing times in Bahrain in 2007 is better. Massa, as far as I remember, got under 1.30 then. So some way to go still for Ferraris.

Tazio
6th February 2008, 18:27
Comparison with race is irrelevant, due to temperature differences. Comparison with testing times in Bahrain in 2007 is better. Massa, as far as I remember, got under 1.30 then. So some way to go still for Ferraris.
Gary that sounds about right! Were the V8's 2007 circulating faster than the V10's of 2004?
With the qualifying rules in place in 2004, this should be close to the fastest test time!
Acording to F1Live The record for fastest official lap is: 1'30''139
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/circuits/sakhir.shtml
Track length
5.412 km

Number of laps
57 (308.238 Km)

Number of corners
11 (left:4) (right:7)

Top speed
315 Km/h
Start line offset
246 m

Downforce setup
medium

2007 race weather
dry

Best lap
M. Schumacher - 1'30''252
(2004, Ferrari)
Record Pole
M. Schumacher - 1'30''139
(2004, Ferrari)

Pole 2007
F. Massa - 1'32''652
(Ferrari)

Podium 2007
1. F. Massa
2. L. Hamilton
3. K. Raikkonen

wmcot
6th February 2008, 20:00
2 seconds faster than last year's pole is still a pretty good indication, especially since Ferrari say the car at Melbourne will be radically different.

DonJippo
6th February 2008, 20:27
And today Kimi was even faster than yesterday

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=33876

Roamy
7th February 2008, 01:31
that is good but the question is what were Massa's times

Tazio
7th February 2008, 02:30
The day in figures is as follows: 74 laps for Kimi (best time 1.30.455) and 73 for Felipe (1.31.293.)

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=76440&newlang=&topic=20&catid=

I don't think they really cut Felipe loose and gave him alot of laps with low fuel. But I could be mistaken!

Tazio
7th February 2008, 02:51
This link gives a little more detail!
http://www.manipef1.com/news/2008/index.php?id=280&redirect=1

Tazio
7th February 2008, 04:59
Motorsport said Bacelona! Dude! Busted!
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=279234

Ferrari Barcelona test notes 2008-02-06
Racing series F1
Date 2008-02-06

Third day of testing for the Scuderia at Sakhir
Maranello, 6th February

Circuit: Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir - (5.412 km)
Drivers: Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa
Cars: F2008

Weather: air temperature 14/18 C, track temperature 18/29 C. Clear skies.

Third day of testing this week for Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro, working once again today at the Sakhir circuit, in Bahrain.

Today, Kimi Raikkonen was joined by team-mate Felipe Massa. Both worked on general development of the F2008, concentrating on comparisons between different set-ups on the car.

The day in figures is as follows: 74 laps for Kimi (best time 1.30.455) and 73 for Felipe (1.31.293.)

Testing will recommence at this circuit on Saturday 9th February, for another three day session: Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa will continue with driving duties.

-credit: ferrari

Discuss this article in the Motorsport.com Forums channel: F1

Ok lets discuss how totaly faded your Editor was on this one!

blakebeatty
7th February 2008, 15:49
Thus far, the Ferraris have been smoking, the Renaults, off pace, and Hamilton, fairly inept without driver aids. Add to that, McLaren's ongoing spygate woes, and BMW's somewhat step backwards.

Save for some unforseen breakout, could this be a very formulaic year?

SGWilko
7th February 2008, 16:27
Hamilton, fairly inept without driver aids.

How does LH compare to PDlR and HK?

blakebeatty
7th February 2008, 17:58
How does LH compare to PDlR and HK?

Heikki has been faster in virtually every session:

VALENCIA 01-24-08
2. Heikki Kovalainen FIN McLaren-Mercedes 89 1:11.206 0.017 0.017
5. Lewis Hamilton GB McLaren-Mercedes 84 1:11.994 0.023 0.805

VALENCIA 01-23-08
1. Heikki Kovalainen FIN McLaren-Mercedes 92 1:11.000
4. Lewis Hamilton GB McLaren-Mercedes 115 1:12.076 0.226 1.076

BARCELONA 02-03-08
2. Heikki Kovalainen FIN McLaren-Mercedes 67 1:22.422 0.037 0.037 3. Lewis Hamilton GB McLaren-Mercedes 92 1:22.459 0.037 0.074

Tazio
7th February 2008, 18:16
Raikkonen hails 'fantastic' F2008

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41743

It could be 2004 all over again!
Kimi isn't the easily excitable type of guy!

airshifter
7th February 2008, 23:55
Raikkonen hails 'fantastic' F2008

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41743

It could be 2004 all over again!
Kimi isn't the easily excitable type of guy!

I'd have to agree. Ferrari have struggled in the last several seasons in the early parts of the year. If they get one right in pre-season testing they won't have a lot of competition on track.

But it IS still just testing.

Tazio
9th February 2008, 19:31
This doesn't make sense to me

"Ferrari were on top form, with Kimi Räikkönen clocking the day's fastest time,
a 1m30.914s. Due to the two days free of running,
track conditions had disimproved slightly, with Kimi's fastest time
almost half a second slower than what he managed on Wednesday."

http://www.manipef1.com/news/2008/index.php?id=301&redirect=1
I realize it's only testing, but unless there was a terrific sand storm,
where did the rubber go? Surely the difference couldn't be sand on the track!
Four cars would remedy that in about 10 laps.
Kimi was 7/10ths off of his best time!
The weather has warmed up. could this be the factor?
I believe it was setup as opposed to "disimproved" (is thst a word?) conditions!
What gives?

wmcot
10th February 2008, 07:58
I believe it was setup as opposed to "disimproved" (is thst a word?) conditions!

I like "disimproved." I think I'll tell my boss that my work isn't getting sloppy, it's just disimproved! ;)

Tazio
10th February 2008, 20:26
They both had problems that lead to incomplete test programs!
They also both "smoked" the course!
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=279549

Tazio
10th February 2008, 22:11
I thought I would post this link:
http://www.theprancinghorse.co.uk/news_testtimes_sakhir.html
It has all testing times at Sakhir since 2006
Massa did dip into the 1:29's last January in the V8!

ottostreet
11th February 2008, 04:34
I thought I would post this link:
http://www.theprancinghorse.co.uk/news_testtimes_sakhir.html
It has all testing times at Sakhir since 2006
Massa did dip into the 1:29's last January in the V8!

that says F2004 V8? either way, i think the ferraris are looking very good. kimi seems very fired up, and seemd to have adjusted very well to the new regulations. unlike certain mclaren drivers i could mention.

Tazio
11th February 2008, 04:57
that says F2004 V8? either way, i think the ferraris are looking very good. kimi seems very fired up, and seemd to have adjusted very well to the new regulations. unlike certain mclaren drivers i could mention.
YOUR LOOKING AT THE WRONG PAGE BRO' !

If you go to the second page you can see the test times. As it says The F2007 model. Thats a v8 my man!!
It is confusing because it's a typo'. On the 2007 page it lists them running in Jan.& Feb. 2006! Thats a screw up!
We are in agreement about two other things. The Ferrari's are looking good, and I agree Kimi's fired up! Peace!!!!!!!!

DATE: DRIVER: CAR: WEATHER: TIME:
22/02/06 F. Massa F2007 Clear 1:31.776
22/02/06 K. Raikkonen F2007 Clear 1:31.901
23/02/06 K. Raikkonen F2007 Clear 1:32.240
23/02/06 F. Massa F2007 Clear 1:32.584
24/02/06 F. Massa F2007 Overcast then clear 1:31.718
24/02/06 K. Raikkonen F2007 Overcast then clear 1:31.867

27/02/06 F. Massa F2007 Clear 1:31.260
27/02/06 K. Raikkonen F2007 Clear 1:31.590
28/02/06 F. Massa F2007 Clear 1:30.640
28/02/06 K. Raikkonen F2007 Clear 1:31.490

01/03/06 F. Massa F2007 Clear 1:29.989 <*****************

01/03/06 K. Raikkonen F2007 Clear 1:30.534

ottostreet
11th February 2008, 04:59
YOUR LOOKING AT THE WRONG PAGE BRO' !

If you go to the second page you can see the test times. As it says The F2007 model. Thats a v8 my man!!
We are in agreement about two other things. The Ferrari's are looking good, and I agree Kimi's fired up! Peace!!!!!!!!

aha! my apologies, i didnt see that :)

wmcot
11th February 2008, 07:28
Amazingly, the Toyotas (OK, one of them) have cracked into the 1:30's, too!

Tazio
11th February 2008, 07:47
http://www.forumula1.net/2008/f1/f1-news/how-much-can-fans-read-into-raikkonens-pace/
I think this journalist does agood job of putting the Bahrain test times, and significance into perspective!

Juppe
11th February 2008, 08:27

I very much doubt that Massa drove F2007 in March year 2006!!!

(They must have a wrong year in their table)

Tazio
11th February 2008, 09:27
I very much doubt that Massa drove F2007 in March year 2006!!!

(They must have a wrong year in their table)
Check it out my man!
The following are test times for 2006
the table is completely correct!
Now check the next table for 2007 below this one!

13/02/06 L. Badoer F2004 V10 Partly cloudy 1:32.297
13/02/06 F. Massa 248 F1 Partly cloudy 1:32.952
14/02/06 L. Badoer F2004 V10 Partly cloudy 1:31.230
14/02/06 F. Massa 248 F1 Partly cloudy 1:31.918
15/02/06 F. Massa F2004 V10 Partly cloudy 1:30.029
15/02/06 M. Schumacher 248 F1 Partly cloudy 1:32.229
16/02/06 F. Massa F2004 V10 Partly cloudy 1:30.578
16/02/06 M. Schumacher 248 F1 Partly cloudy 1:32.909
17/02/06 M. Schumacher 248 F1 Cloudy & windy 1:32.702

19/02/06 M. Schumacher 248 F1 Cloudy & windy 1:32.007
19/02/06 F. Massa F2004 V10 Cloudy & windy 1:32.307
20/02/06 F. Massa F2004 V10 Partly cloudy & windy 1:30.410
20/02/06 M. Schumacher 248 F1 Partly cloudy & windy 1:31.390
21/02/06 F. Massa F2004 V10 Clear 1:29.958
21/02/06 M. Schumacher F2004 V10 Clear 1:30.375
21/02/06 M. Schumacher 248 F1 Clear 1:30.723

This is where the website got the year wrong. It should say 2007
as there is no way they tested the F2007 in feb 2006 the typo is 2006 not the model F2007

01/03/06 F. Massa F2007 Clear 1:29.989<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Finally you have this years tests to date in F2008
If you notice the site screwed up again Look at the dates they coincide
with the dates Kimi, Luca and Felipe posted the adjacent times. Only the year is screwed up again.
As once again obviously Ferrari were not testing
the F2008 in Feb. 2007
Bottom line, believe it! Massa posted a1:29:989 in 2007

04/02/07 K. Raikkonen F2008 Clear 1:32.079
04/02/07 L. Badoer F2008 Clear 1:33.323
05/02/07 K. Raikkonen F2008 Clear 1:30.595
05/02/07 L. Badoer F2008 Clear 1:32.230
06/02/07 K. Raikkonen F2008 Clear 1:30.455
06/02/07 F. Massa F2008 Clear 1:31.293

09/02/07 K. Raikkonen F2008 Cloudy then clear 1:30.914
09/02/07 F. Massa F2008 Cloudy then clear 1:31.174

Sorry to burst your bubble!
BUT FILIPE DID A 1:29:989 IN "07
Later Dude!..........Peace!!!1

DonJippo
11th February 2008, 10:17

Kimi ain't far behind

10/02/2008 1:30.015 :)

leopard
11th February 2008, 10:46
yep you are right, he's only slightly behind :)

Juppe
11th February 2008, 11:44

I don't think there are any bubbles to be burst!

Different year, different cars, different conditions and no one else worth mentioning testing at the same time.

I don't think there is nothing much to bet excited about - although, this time last year Felipe was almost always faster in testing than Kimi, but this year it has been the other way around. I do not know, if that is a sign of anything, but it can be. We'll know soon enough.

Tazio
11th February 2008, 16:44
I don't think there are any bubbles to be burst!

Different year, different cars, different conditions and no one else worth mentioning testing at the same time.

I don't think there is nothing much to bet excited about - although, this time last year Felipe was almost always faster in testing than Kimi, but this year it has been the other way around. I do not know, if that is a sign of anything, but it can be. We'll know soon enough.
Apologies!! I got a little animated in trying to make sense out of that Prancing horse page!
The only thing I think it's a sign of is Kimi may already be comfortable in the F2008,
whereas last season it took a while for him to extract the most out of the contender........Cheers!

wmcot
11th February 2008, 21:48
C

So no TC and standard ECU = a small fraction of a second difference.

Anybody have Toyota's times from Bahrain last year - that HAS to be a big improvement this year. Toyota is looking good when compared to Ferrari's pace. I know this is only testing, but it could be a promising season for Toyota.

waitey
12th February 2008, 23:05
BMW and especially kubica are starting to look better now. third fastest for kubica and 6th for heidfeld at jerez today and they seem to be improving now and finding the speed in the car. kubica looks like he likes the driving without TC, quicker than heidfeld for most of the recent tests. but we will have to wait and see come melbourne as we have no idea what they are testing.

Dzeidzei
13th February 2008, 08:45
Toyota is looking good when compared to Ferrari's pace. I know this is only testing, but it could be a promising season for Toyota.

Now where did I hear that before...

ArrowsFA1
13th February 2008, 11:32
Toyota is looking good when compared to Ferrari's pace. I know this is only testing, but it could be a promising season for Toyota.
Jarno doesn't seem to have particularly high hopes :dozey:

"Let's make this clear: in this situation, not only the Ferraris will be unmatchable for us, but also the McLarens. So, talking about getting some podiums is completely unrealistic.

Looking at the behaviour of the Ferraris on the track is obviously depressing. They can brake wherever they want to but most of all they can accelerate wherever they want to, while I always have to be careful with getting on the power, which is not managed by traction control anymore."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65106

Tazio
13th February 2008, 13:27
Jarno doesn't seem to have particularly high hopes :dozey:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65106
His expectations may actually be over optomistic,-----------For Ferrari!

Quoting from the same artical:

Trulli reckons Ferrari are clearly ahead of all their rivals.

"In my opinion, even compared to McLaren, they are at least half a second faster per lap.
Good night then, I feel the championship is already over even before the start," Trulli said.

maxu05
13th February 2008, 14:03
I think it will be closer than that, though, Mac, may not beat Ferarri, but Mac will be too busy fighting off Red Bull, BMW and Williams IMO.

Tazio
13th February 2008, 16:50
How do these times compare with last winter at Jerez?

Today's times: 2/13/08

1. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:18.628 72
2. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:19.091 98
3. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:19.215 91
4. Alonso Renault (B) 1:19.710 104
5. Kubica BMW-Sauber (B) 1:19.829 116
6. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:19.857 68
7. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:19.883 97
8. Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:19.889 114
9. Piquet Renault (B) 1:20.014 110
10. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:20.152 84
11. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber (B) 1:20.201 109
12. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:20.536 76
13. Button Honda (B) 1:21.147 85
14. Sato Super Aguri-Honda (B) 1:21.376 101
15. Barrichello Honda (B) 1:21.710 58
16. Sutil Force India-Ferrari (B) 1:22.244 86

Nurburgring
14th February 2008, 04:19
So what if Webber has posted the fastest time.
What's really important is that Red Bull put their mechanical problems from last year behind them and that they actually have a car which Webber can drive to a podium position. And not just once but consistently.

DonJippo
14th February 2008, 15:54
Jerez times today http://www.f1today.nl/uitslagen/testsessies/2008/02/14/circuito-de-jerez

Tazio
14th February 2008, 16:04
ERRR AAAHH why is hamilton sandbagging?
I hope Lew doesn't get cross if HK is faster then him
in race trim!

I am evil Homer
14th February 2008, 16:42
Jerez is used to test downforce configs a lot of the time so we don't know what aero packages different teams and drivers are running.

mstillhere
14th February 2008, 18:44
Trulli reckons Ferrari are clearly ahead of all their rivals.
Today Fisichella said the same thing.

keysersoze
14th February 2008, 20:06
2/12 Liuzzi 1:21.5
2/13 Sutil 1.22.2
2/14 Fisi 1.20.6

And this is the closest they've been to Giancarlo yet.

Tazio
14th February 2008, 20:47
My Fellow Americans,
Does it bother/or does anyone else think that while testimg has peaked an unusually large amount of interest, '
that SpeedTV would broadcast a little of it if the NASCAR Orgie known as
Daytona wasn't on that channel 18 hrs a day!

Can you get any of it on the web?

Ranger
15th February 2008, 05:03
Hamilton's being looking a tad slow this off-season... maybe due to the TC removal?
I have to say I expected more of him, especially in comparison to HK.

Though of course, if he's there first when the chequered flag drops, then it won't mean anything.

gloomyDAY
15th February 2008, 06:38
My Fellow Americans,
Does it bother/or does anyone else think that while testimg has peaked an unusually large amount of interest, '
that SpeedTV would broadcast a little of it if the NASCAR Orgie known as
Daytona wasn't on that channel 18 hrs a day!

Can you get any of it on the web?
Funny, a chap asked the same thing about the WRC (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124696).

Read my answer. Pretty much sums up the problem.

ArrowsFA1
15th February 2008, 08:18
Hamilton's being looking a tad slow this off-season... maybe due to the TC removal?
I have to say I expected more of him, especially in comparison to HK.
The 1.5s gap between HK & LH suggests the two drivers were running very different programmes in testing, which is perfectly normal.

Ranger
15th February 2008, 08:31
The 1.5s gap between HK & LH suggests the two drivers were running very different programmes in testing, which is perfectly normal.

"This off-season" doesn't refer to one day's testing results... point being that their combination has been slower than I expected. But as I said, no one will give a toss if its quick around that lake and park in less than a month.

Tazio
18th February 2008, 04:48
Kimi is feeling pretty good about 2008!

Team insiders have reported that Raikkonen is basking in the absence of traction control this year making many ask the question, is he favourite to win the season-opener in Melbourne? Well, that is a question he won’t give a straight forward answer to….

The great thing about this car is that we know why we're quick. There have been no surprises and we have an aggressive development program. I am confident, but we won't know exactly where we are until we get to the first race."

http://f1.automoto365.com/news/controller.php?lang=en&theme=default&month=2&year=2008&nextMode=GpNewsForm&news_id=29867

jens
18th February 2008, 21:28
Hard to say, where Toyota at the moment is. Testing against Ferrari didn't tell much, although in some moments they showed at least some promise. When both Ferrari and Toyota were running low-fuel laps on the penultimate day of Bahrain testing, then Toyota was approcimately 0,9 secs behind Ferrari, which itself isn't a big gap against a car that is expected to dominate. But I don't dare to have much optimism as Toyota has proved to be a 'bad goldfish', who doesn't fulfil wishes even if they seem to have some promise. Tomorrow maybe we'll get a more accurate answer, where Toyota might be.

Tazio
19th February 2008, 14:57
It's wet!

http://www.manipef1.com/news/2008/index.php?id=373&redirect=1

Coulthard has caused two red flag periods, one just after midday, while Nelson Piquet has also caused a stoppage of his own, having spun at turn one on his very first lap.

Unofficial morning times from Barcelona (19/02/2008):
1. Fernando Alonso (Renault) - 1:32.820, 16 laps
2. David Coulthard (Red Bull-Renault) - 1:32.924, 19 laps
3. Nico Rosberg (Williams-Toyota) - 1:33.277, 26 laps
4. Mark Webber (Red Bull-Renault) - 1:33.333, 12 laps
5. Kazuki Nakajima (Williams-Toyota) - 1:33.764, 32 laps
6. Jarno Trulli (Toyota) - 1:33.969, 29 laps
7. Nelson Piquet jr. (Renault) - No Time, 1 lap

Tazio
19th February 2008, 16:40
Changing conditions all day. These times are meaningless.
The forcast isn't very good for the next two days either
http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/SPXX0015.html

Today's times:

1. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:30.675 73
2. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:32.370 96
3. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:32.599 26
4. Alonso Renault (B) 1:32.820 16
5. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:32.924 22
6. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:33.283 57
7. Piquet Renault (B) 1:40.073 8
8. Kobayashi Toyota (B) no time 1

All Timing Unofficial

wmcot
20th February 2008, 08:19
Time to get some running in on the full wets...

ArrowsFA1
20th February 2008, 08:20
Hard to say, where Toyota at the moment is.
Looking very good in the back of the Williams ;) :s mokin:

pino
20th February 2008, 08:47

These are only pre-season test :rolleyes: :p :

Garry Walker
20th February 2008, 14:53

Williams will again this year completely dominate over the Toyota.

Tazio
20th February 2008, 17:59
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/news/159875-0/bmw_we_needed_to_take_risks.html
Willie is very adament about the potential of the F1.08.
He makes it sound like they need a MS to extract everything out of it!

I haven't heard anything from the good Doctor!
What's Mario's opinion?

Ranger
21st February 2008, 12:04
Very interesting off-season (bar Ferrari!)

McLaren are the #2 team it must be said.

From there on it is open slather.

BMW have disappointed, Renault look average, Williams are much improved, Red Bull look much improved. I have no idea who will emerge as #3 out of those teams come years end.

Toro Rosso look like they'll get the better of Toyota, Honda and the rest.

waitey
21st February 2008, 12:11
I think people are talking down BMW a bit too soon. We don't really know what they are testing, and kubica is often running top 4 in testing anyways.

According to Alonso, they are doing very good:
"We are not in a position to do anything about McLaren, Ferrari or BMW.

Interestingly, despite the mixed messages coming out of the BMW Sauber camp recently, Alonso singles out the German team's 2008 car as one of the standouts of the pre-season.

"They are very fast," he said. "They always use full tanks and record very good times."

Williams I admit look much improved, same with Red Bull. Unless BMW are in a clear position as the 3rd force, we could have them battling with Renault, Red Bull and Williams which will make it interesting.

I still think BMW will be a bit too strong for them and put them in third just in front of Williams, Renault and Red Bull.

But of course, we will have to wait and see.

Tazio
21st February 2008, 13:08
I think people are talking down BMW a bit too soon. We don't really know what they are testing, and kubica is often running top 4 in testing anyways.

According to Alonso, they are doing very good:
"We are not in a position to do anything about McLaren, Ferrari or BMW.

Interestingly, despite the mixed messages coming out of the BMW Sauber camp recently, Alonso singles out the German team's 2008 car as one of the standouts of the pre-season.

"They are very fast," he said. "They always use full tanks and record very good times."

Williams I admit look much improved, same with Red Bull. Unless BMW are in a clear position as the 3rd force, we could have them battling with Renault, Red Bull and Williams which will make it interesting.

I still think BMW will be a bit too strong for them and put them in third just in front of Williams, Renault and Red Bull.

But of course, we will have to wait and see.
I rank Sauber a solid third, unles Renault are sand bagging!
Then Williams ahead of the likes of Red Bull, Toyota, Honda, and Toro Rosso.
Don't under estimate the number of points Fred will earn Renault!

woody2goody
22nd February 2008, 00:19
We should have a great season with 7 teams within 8 tenths of each other today. And I reckon BMW would slot in nicely near the top of those charts too.

jens
22nd February 2008, 16:58
While the Top2 seems to be clear, then the discussion about current 3rd force seems to be open. The insiders have mostly mentioned BMW-Sauber and they seem to improve more rapidly than others. Red Bull has often been at the top of timing lists, but I've got a feeling that they are trying to make themselves look better than they are. Haven't noticed anyone seriously considering RB as 3rd force. Williams doesn't look as good as in January, but they are still "quite competitive". Renault might be a joint 4th force together with Williams and Red Bull. Their actual form still looks unclear as also the influence of the new W-wing is unknown as no-one of us hasn't even seen it. Toyota is probably a bit behind that trio, but not by much and at times they might trouble the teams ahead. STR seems to be moving backwards considering that other teams with their new cars have recently found more room for improvements than STR with its old car.

woody2goody
22nd February 2008, 18:23
While the Top2 seems to be clear, then the discussion about current 3rd force seems to be open. The insiders have mostly mentioned BMW-Sauber and they seem to improve more rapidly than others. Red Bull has often been at the top of timing lists, but I've got a feeling that they are trying to make themselves look better than they are. Haven't noticed anyone seriously considering RB as 3rd force. Williams doesn't look as good as in January, but they are still "quite competitive". Renault might be a joint 4th force together with Williams and Red Bull. Their actual form still looks unclear as also the influence of the new W-wing is unknown as no-one of us hasn't even seen it. Toyota is probably a bit behind that trio, but not by much and at times they might trouble the teams ahead. STR seems to be moving backwards considering that other teams with their new cars have recently found more room for improvements than STR with its old car.

I think Williams have been stronger in Feb. But there you go...

Tazio
22nd February 2008, 20:36
Felipe really did smoke McLaren's times, in dry conditions
at Barcelona!

The Italian squad enjoyed a private test day at the Spanish circuit on Friday,
and on the plus side Felipe Massa clocked by far the fastest time at the track so far this winter
with a 1m20.508s to underline the new car's impressive speed.
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41812

BARCELONA - 1-3 February
1st February - Lewis and Gary >>
2nd February - Lewis and Heikki >>
3rd February - Lewis and Heikki >>
Best time of this session
Lewis – 1m22.135
Of course they didn't do a Quali simulation, which Felipe did!
http://www.mclaren.com/

jens
22nd February 2008, 22:44
I think Williams have been stronger in Feb. But there you go...

Hmm. What I meant that in January Williams looked like 3rd best! At the moment I don't quite think they are able to finish 3rd in the WCC, but 4th or 5th looks quite possible. I have got a feeling that that front wing problem in early February slightly slowered their progress.

woody2goody
23rd February 2008, 03:20
That's probably true I expect BMW to finish above them and come to think of it Renault as well. But it will be a close fight with Red Bull, STR, Toyota and possibly Honda involved.

Tazio
26th February 2008, 15:10
Kimi smokes morning times!

News

Barcelona: Kimi returns to top on morning of day 2
26 February, 2008

K
imi Räikkönen returned to the top of the timesheets in testing this morning, as he clocked the fastest time prior to lunch in Barcelona. His time of 1m21.722s was just over half a second quicker than Lewis Hamilton's McLaren, with Williams's Nico Rosberg securing third spot thanks to another impressive performance. After yesterday's dull and damp start to the test, the weather has brightened greatly, with sunny conditions, albeit with some scattered clouds.

Unofficial morning times from Barcelona (26/02/2008):
1. Kimi Räikkönen (Ferrari) - 1:21.722, 29 laps
2. Lewis Hamilton (McLaren-Mercedes) - 1:22.232, 21 laps
3. Nico Rosberg (Williams-Toyota) - 1:22.309, 22 laps
4. Robert Kubica (BMW Sauber-BMW) - 1:22.625, 30 laps
5. Jenson Button (Honda) - 1:22.659, 28 laps
6. Felipe Massa (Ferrari) - 1:22.909, 24 laps
7. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Force India-Ferrari) - 1:23.116, 34 laps
8. Rubens Barrichello (Honda) - 1:23.159, 30 laps
9. Fernando Alonso (Renault) - 1:23.208, 34 laps
10. Heikki Kovalainen (McLaren-Mercedes) - 1:23.240, 13 laps
11. Giancarlo Fisichella (Force India-Ferrari) - 1:23.347, 35 laps
12. Jarno Trulli (Toyota) - 1:23.348, 28 laps
13. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull-Renault) - 1:23.438, 47 laps
14. Nelson Piquet jr. (Renault) - 1:23.467, 33 laps
15. Sébastien Bourdais (Toro Rosso-Ferrari) - 1:23.836, 47 laps
16. Kazuki Nakajima (Williams-Toyota) - 1:23.860, 51 laps
17. Nick Heidfeld (BMW Sauber-BMW) - 1:23.944, 20 laps
18. Timo Glock (Toyota) - 1:24.277, 34 laps
19. Mark Webber (Red Bull-Renault) - No time, 16 laps

pino
26th February 2008, 15:19
Great times by Force India Ferrari :eek:

Tazio
26th February 2008, 15:27

Tazio
26th February 2008, 15:28
Force India almost into the 1:22s They got something right on that new car

gjalie
26th February 2008, 17:02
Testtijmes Update: 17:12

1. L. Hamilton McLaren MP4-23 1:21.234 81 pit
2. H. Kovalainen McLaren MP4-23 1:21.434 +0.200 68 pit
3. K. Räikkönen Ferrari F2008 1:21.722 +0.488 72 pit
4. N. Rosberg Williams FW30 1:22.309 +1.075 75 pit
5. F. Massa Ferrari F2008 1:22.513 +1.279 102 pit
6. G. Fisichella Force India VJM-01 1:22.516 +1.282 102 pit
7. S. Vettel Red Bull Racing RB4 1:22.558 +1.324 109 pit
8. R. Kubica BMW Sauber F1.08 1:22.625 +1.391 94 pit
9. J. Button Honda RA108 1:22.659 +1.425 67 pit
10. V. Liuzzi Force India VJM-01 1:22.942 +1.708 89 pit
11. K. Nakajima Williams FW30 1:22.977 +1.743 100 pit
12. J. Trulli Toyota TF108 1:23.023 +1.789 98 pit
13. F. Alonso Renault R28 1:23.112 +1.878 77 pit
14. R. Barrichello Honda RA108 1:23.169 +1.935 74 pit
15. N. Heidfeld BMW Sauber F1.08 1:23.284 +2.050 77 pit
16. S. Bourdais Toro Rosso STR2 1:23.323 +2.089 98 pit
17. M. Webber Red Bull Racing RB4 1:23.458 +2.224 58 pit
18. N. Piquet Jr. Renault R28 1:23.467 +2.233 45 pit
19. T. Glock Toyota TF108 1:23.561 +2.327 80 pit

looks like getting Gascoyne on board and
the two windtunnels Spyker started up are beginning to pay off.

SGWilko
26th February 2008, 17:05

It's hardly new - more a rehash of the B-Spec 2007 car, so I cannot see it troubling the big boys come race day in all honesty.

Tazio
26th February 2008, 17:55
It's hardly new - more a rehash of the B-Spec 2007 car, so I cannot see it troubling the big boys come race day in all honesty.
Nor do I ! I'm still impressed!

keysersoze
26th February 2008, 18:05
Fisi--to many around here the washed-up never-was--a scant .003 from Massa in P5? Force India the 4th best team on the day? I don't think anyone is having visions of race wins or podiums, but that's a very encouraging sign for the team--they've done nothing but creep up the charts on every successive test.

OutRun
26th February 2008, 18:29
Nice to see that Honda seem to be making some progress. I'm guessing that they've managed to sort out most of the mechanical settings. Honda's upcoming private test is supposed to introduce their new aero package for Australia.

F1boat
26th February 2008, 19:02
McLaren seem to have the edge so far.

Dzeidzei
26th February 2008, 19:27
McLaren seem to have the edge so far.

Id say this is the biggest problem in any forum. People make a lot of assumptions based on zero knowledge about the testing programs the teams are running. So if my team/driver is higher up the list, its proof of his/their speed. If not, they are testing in race trim etc.

So basicly all speculation is just for fun. In Mel we´ll see.

PS. Its not pointed at you F1boat :)

DonJippo
26th February 2008, 21:12
Finnish TV channel MTV3's report from today's test session http://nettitv.mtv3.fi/authf/uutiset/id/124342.wmv?location=nettitv_uutiset

keysersoze
26th February 2008, 21:22
Id say this is the biggest problem in any forum. People make a lot of assumptions based on zero knowledge about the testing programs the teams are running. So if my team/driver is higher up the list, its proof of his/their speed. If not, they are testing in race trim etc.

So I suppose your point is that this multi-page thread is pointless?

Granted, teams have varying goals on a given day, but the one constant is they are ALL trying to develop a package that it ultimately as quick as it can be, or quicker than other teams. Therefore, testing times DO have significance, perhaps not a certain test, but CERTAINLY the aggregate of the tests is to some degree indicative of the team's performance / progress, and can indicate relative pace, as well as future success or failure.

And this is JMO, but the biggest problem on any forum is "unkindness."

mstillhere
26th February 2008, 21:39

I totally agree with you

ioan
26th February 2008, 23:33

Yeah, the Ferrari engine! :D

jens
27th February 2008, 00:34
No-one is expecting Force India to trouble the 'big boys', but if they manage to beat Honda, which is actually a possibility, then it would be a great achievement that also deserves acknowledgement. I won't be surprised if at least one of the FI cars gets into Q2 at Melbourne.

jso1985
27th February 2008, 02:15
Why Vettel is testing with Red Bull? :mark: give him the Toro Rosso so he can develop it!

Ranger
27th February 2008, 02:37
Why Vettel is testing with Red Bull? :mark: give him the Toro Rosso so he can develop it!

Red Bull needed a quick (on-tap) replacement for Coulthard, who had a minor neck injury.

Roamy
27th February 2008, 04:59
no question that RB wanted to evaluate Vettel. they will probably send blockhead to TR and move Vettel up to RB

Tazio
27th February 2008, 13:23
Holy crap! Where did Toyota find this speed!

Unoffical morning times from Barcelona (27/02/2008):
1. Jarno Trulli (Toyota) - 1:20.801, 37 laps
2. David Coulthard (Red Bull-Renault) - 1:21.258, 29 laps
3. Nico Rosberg (Williams-Toyota) - 1:21.293, 23 laps
4. Mark Webber (Red Bull-Renault) - 1:21.358, 34 laps
5. Nelson Piquet jr. (Renault) - 1:21.443, 31 laps
6. Fernando Alonso (Renault) - 1:21.454, 50 laps
7. Kazuki Nakajima (Williams-Toyota) - 1:21.796, 57 laps
8. Lewis Hamilton (McLaren-Mercedes) - 1:22.011, 31 laps
9. Giancarlo Fisichella (Force India-Ferrari) - 1:22.233, 34 laps
10. Felipe Massa (Ferrari) - 1:22.286, 16 laps
11. Robert Kubica (BMW Sauber-BMW) - 1:22.299, 47 laps
12. Kimi Räikkönen (Ferrari) - 1:22.376, 14 laps
13. Adrian Sutil (Force India-Ferrari) - 1:22.521, 26 laps
14. Nick Heidfeld (BMW Sauber-BMW) - 1:22.940, 16 laps
15. Sébastien Bourdais (Toro Rosso-Ferrari) - 1:23.053, 40 laps
16. Timo Glock (Toyota) - 1:23.116, 37 laps
17. Heikki Kovalainen (McLaren-Mercedes) - 1:23.271, 23 laps
18. Alexander Wurz (Honda) - 1:24.154, 42 laps
19. Jenson Button (Honda) - 1:24.275, 33 laps

THE_LIBERATOR
27th February 2008, 14:03

Unoffical morning times from Barcelona (27/02/2008):
1. Jarno Trulli (Toyota) - 1:20.801, 37 laps
That's nice to see, it's totally unrealistic, but nice :D

jens
27th February 2008, 16:28
Toyota didn't find that speed from "nowhere". In the previous days Toyota concentrated on the long runs and some observers have mentioned that Toyota's pace based on laptimes in a race simulation looked promising. Now for the first time at Barcelona they have tried a quali run and managed to beat Red Bull, Williams and Renault, who probably were running quite low-fuel too, when setting their best times. What is interesting that Trulli has mentioned that Toyota's race pace is more competitive than qualifying pace - in Toyota's case that has usually been reversed.

For the first time during this pre-season testing I have finally got some belief that Toyota might actually be able to surprise. What do I mean by 'surprise'? Beat one or two teams in that tight group, who are expected to be ahead of them (BMW, Williams, Renault, Red Bull). :D I personally think that Renault and Red Bull are most vulnerable among them. After all, if we recall previous years, then Toyota has been stronger in the racing season than they seemed during winter tests!

Williams seems to have gone well at Barcelona too and strengthened their position. It really looks like that the co-operation between Toyota and Williams is paying off and maybe finally Toyota is getting some benefit from that too...

F1boat
27th February 2008, 19:36

I am just trying to jinx Macca ;)
Really, I dunno what these guys are doing. I just hope that Ferrari will smoke'em :)

Tazio
27th February 2008, 20:08
Word up! Bro!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

pino
27th February 2008, 21:50

In Jarno's skills :p :

DonJippo
27th February 2008, 22:48

The usual one lap wonder ;)

Tazio
27th February 2008, 23:37
Maybe!
Is that the fastest lap at Barcelona this winter?

ozrevhead
27th February 2008, 23:55
RedBull looked very good in testing - now if we can be reliable as well then will be in for a very happy 2008!

Valve Bounce
28th February 2008, 01:47
I think the only real outcome that is indisputable here is that Honda didn't do that well. In fact, they were bloody horrible. Maybe they will pull out of F1 and give the team to Super Aguri; dare I hope??

wmcot
28th February 2008, 06:58
Maybe!
Is that the fastest lap at Barcelona this winter?

2nd fastest according to PitPass. Massa did a 1:20.508 on the 22nd of Feb.

Tazio
28th February 2008, 16:53
Lauda Touts Ferrari!
Niki seems to think that they are .5 to .8 ahead of McLaren. But warns that Albert park is an "atypical" circuit, and may not give a representative evaluation of the field.
http://www.onestopstrategy.com/dailyf1news/nieuw/article/4474-Ferrari+clearly+ahead+says+Niki+Lauda.html

F1boat
28th February 2008, 17:28
Lauda Touts Ferrari!
]

Well, this puts a huge question mark about the red team's pace, but I hope, that, for once, Niki is right!

SkyTom
29th February 2008, 09:34
A complete change from the 2 previous days, with Kimi and Lewis way down, while Trulli (!) manages to take the top spot by a considerable margin...

Pos. Driver Team Tires Time Laps
1 J. Trulli Toyota Bridgestone 01:20.801 83
2 D. Coulthard Red Bull Bridgestone 01:21.258 76
3 N. Rosberg Williams Bridgestone 01:21.293 77
4 H. Kovalainen McLaren Bridgestone 01:21.309 87
5 M. Webber Red Bull Bridgestone 01:21.368 91
6 N. Piquet jr. Renault Bridgestone 01:21.443 114
7 F. Alonso Renault Bridgestone 01:21.454 128
8 K. Nakajima Williams Bridgestone 01:21.796 124
9 K. Räikkönen Ferrari Bridgestone 01:21.933 80
10 L. Hamilton McLaren Bridgestone 01:22.011 88
11 T. Glock Toyota Bridgestone 01:22.155 49
12 G. Fisichella Force India Bridgestone 01:22.233 90
13 F. Massa Ferrari Bridgestone 01:22.286 49
14 R. Kubica BMW Bridgestone 01:22.299 93
15 S. Bourdais Toro Rosso Bridgestone 01:22.465 79
16 A. Sutil Force India Bridgestone 01:22.521 97
17 N. Heidfeld BMW Bridgestone 01:22.624 61
18 A. Wurz Honda Bridgestone 01:24.154 82
19 J. Button Honda Bridgestone 01:24.275 73

maxu05
29th February 2008, 12:04
It is testing, not racing. I don't take much notice of these times, as every team has it's own testing plan and agenda. When the flag drops for the first race, then we will see who has done their homework and who has been trying to get fast times and attract sponsorship.

pino
29th February 2008, 13:25
Nice interview with Jarno Trulli (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65386) after final test in Barcellona :D

Tazio
29th February 2008, 14:06
Nice interview with Jarno Trulli (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65386) after final test in Barcellona :D
For your sake, I hope he knows what he's talking about! :D