PDA

View Full Version : JV to LeMans

Roamy
9th January 2007, 21:28
It would be quite a feat if he could snag this prize as well.

Former world champion Jacques Villeneuve will return to competition with Peugeot at Le Mans this year, sources close to the Canadian have confirmed to autosport.com.

Villeneuve has been out of action since he left Formula One after last year's German Grand Prix, but he has been linked with a return in both NASCAR and the DTM.

However, French car manufacturer Peugeot have won the battle for his signature as they return to the French endurance classic with their diesel-powered 908 sportscar.

Although Villeneuve himself has been unavailable for comment since a report about his return first surfaced in L'Equipe this morning, a source close to him has confirmed that a deal is in place for Le Mans.

An official announcement about Villeneuve's presence in the team will be made by Peugeot on Wednesday, when they are also expected to confirm a line-up including Champ Car champion Sebastien Bourdais and Ferrari test driver Marc Gene.

Villeneuve has made no secret of his interest in Le Mans, especially because success there would make him the first man to capture four of motor racing's biggest prizes - the endurance classic, the F1 world championship, the Indy 500 and the Champ Car title.

Speaking to Autosport in 2005, Villeneuve said that it would be vital for him to compete at Le Mans as soon as possible after his F1 career ended because he needed to be race sharp.

"The reason for me to do Le Mans is that nobody has won all four. Three have been won, but never four," he said.

"If you stop racing for a few years, then you are not on it anymore. You can still be quick, but not absolutely on it. So I'd want to do Le Mans straightaway after F1, get it over with and then I can get away from racing completely."

Peugeot have declined to comment on the driver line-up ahead of the official announcement on Wednesday. The other drivers in the two-car entry are expected to be Stephane Sarrazin, Nicolas Minassian and Pedro Lamy.

revmeister
9th January 2007, 22:03
Way to go Jacques!

Too bad he won't be running in the ALMS. I'd like to see him drive Laguna Seca.

Ranger
10th January 2007, 00:42
Nice. :up:

Walt
10th January 2007, 01:49
Jacques never won the Indy 500!

He won the Indy 505......

Even more unique!

Ian

Sirius
10th January 2007, 02:18
Former world champion Jacques Villeneuve will return to competition with Peugeot at Le Mans this year, sources close to the Canadian have confirmed to autosport.com.

Very good news!

I thought this possible when Olivier Panis announced his involvement sometime ago.

And yes fousto, it would be a feat unsurpassed by anyone before him.

Bravo Jacques!

Sirius

Roamy
10th January 2007, 02:29
I am pretty jazzed that its a diesel. Is this the first time a diesel has be run in a top class??

Sleeper
10th January 2007, 02:52
Audi won last year with a diesil in P1, Peugeot would be second to do it if/when they win at Le Mans.

Bagwan
10th January 2007, 03:11
"Peugot has won the battle for his signature" is a part which strikes me as most apt .
I guess , with 3 different series vying for his time , he really does have some worth as a driver .

F1 was foolish to lose him .

Bagwan
10th January 2007, 03:18
Fousto , the drivers you posted , I have read , are in the other car .
I saw on Jacques's site , a report that the others in his car will be Bourdais , and Gene .
Apparently , Gene is released by Ferrari to do this officially , and Jacques has been seen in Paris , ahead of the official announcement .

Mikeall
10th January 2007, 04:14
Almost every driver I've heard of with a French sounding name has been linked to one of these drives, and pretty much all of them without as well...

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2007, 05:38
Heck if JV won LeMans, you know he would be out to buy a ride in the Daytona 500. With the luck and skill to win all those great races and titles, you have to figure maybe one good shot at Daytona would be in order.

Heck, as a JV fan, I am glad he is back behind the wheel and wont be moping. I would prefer he ran all the ALMS or went to Champ Car, but I guess I cant have everything.

raikk
10th January 2007, 07:17
congrats to Jerky

ArrowsFA1
10th January 2007, 09:36
Interesting that he says:
"I'd want to do Le Mans straightaway after F1, get it over with and then I can get away from racing completely"
Doesn't sound like a man looking for a long NASCAR career :dozey: although Le Mans isn't going to be easy to win, so he might be around for a while yet :)

CarlMetro
10th January 2007, 11:03
I'll wait until the 'official' announcement before I give him any sort of congratulations.

ioan
10th January 2007, 11:46
Well He would have got a chance if Audi would have signed him for one of their R10s but I doubt he will make it with the Peugeot.

DimitraF1
10th January 2007, 12:19
they cick him from f1.. sponsors are there with him?

ArrowsFA1
10th January 2007, 12:41
I'll wait until the 'official' announcement before I give him any sort of congratulations.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56185

Quetch
10th January 2007, 12:47
Jacques will be with Marc Gene and Pedro Lamy. The other team will be all-French with Sébastien Bourdais, Stéphane Sarrazin and Nicolas Minassian.

Quetch
10th January 2007, 12:48
Double post

Dave B
10th January 2007, 13:06
If you parlez any Francais it's officially confirmed here:
http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=3029&mode=&order=0&thold=0

ChrisS
10th January 2007, 13:10
Very good news!

And yes fousto, it would be a feat unsurpassed by anyone before him.

Bravo Jacques!

Sirius

Graham Hill won the Indy 500, F1 World Championship, and the Le Mans 24 Hours, if JV wins Le Mans he will be the 2nd person to do it

Graham Hill is also the only driver to have completed this Triple Crown, winning the three most famous motor races in the world, the Monaco Grand Prix, the Indy 500 and the Le Mans 24 hours. JV cannot tie this record since he never won Monaco, JPM is the only active driver that could do it if he ever races Le Mans.

Geecee27
10th January 2007, 13:28
I'll look forward to him coming second to Allan McNish then!!!

ArrowsFA1
10th January 2007, 13:29
Graham Hill won the Indy 500, F1 World Championship, and the Le Mans 24 Hours, if JV wins Le Mans he will be the 2nd person to do it

Graham Hill is also the only driver to have completed this Triple Crown, winning the three most famous motor races in the world, the Monaco Grand Prix, the Indy 500 and the Le Mans 24 hours. JV cannot tie this record since he never won Monaco.
JV would, however, create his own unique record:

Villeneuve has made no secret of his interest in Le Mans, especially because success there would make him the first man to capture four of motor racing's biggest prizes - the endurance classic, the F1 world championship, the Indy 500 and the Champ Car title.

"The reason for me to do Le Mans is that nobody has won all four. Three have been won, but never four," he said.

ChrisS
10th January 2007, 15:08
JV would, however, create his own unique record:

I know that but that is sort of a made up record IMHO, if you look at it that way why not also include the Daytona 500

Mario Andretti won four of motor racing's biggest prizes. He won the F1 world championship, the CART Championship, the Indy 500, and the Daytona 500

A. J. Foyt won four of motor racing's biggest prizes. The USAC National Championship (CART's predecessor) the Indy 500, the 24 hours of Le Mans and the Daytona 500

ArrowsFA1
10th January 2007, 15:17
I know that but that is sort of a made up record IMHO, if you look at it that way why not also include the Daytona 500
True, so if not a record as such how about an impressive achievement? ;) :cool:

Roamy
10th January 2007, 15:30
There are quite a few unique records out there. I guess it is the critics than put them in order. So I think in Mario's case they feel the LeMans race is higher up the list than Daytona. I don't recall did Mario ever win the 24 hrs at Daytona??

ratonmacias
10th January 2007, 17:17
cool. although i would be better if jv had finished out this season with the Bite My Wiener team.

Bagwan
10th January 2007, 17:28

Mario Andretti won four of motor racing's biggest prizes. He won the F1 world championship, the CART Championship, the Indy 500, and the Daytona 500

A. J. Foyt won four of motor racing's biggest prizes. The USAC National Championship (CART's predecessor) the Indy 500, the 24 hours of Le Mans and the Daytona 500

Chris , both Mario and A.J. essentially "made up" those records by achieving them , and both are revered . But neither will have the 4 the JV has a chance at , so he will have a unique seat if he can do it .

Some of those who follow will see his 4 championships as lesser than the other 4-timers , but I and many others will see it as every bit as valid , and perhaps even more so .

Perhaps , after winning LeMans , he'll put out a platinum album , turning a corner none of the others could follow him through .

ChrisS
10th January 2007, 17:40
True, so if not a record as such how about an impressive achievement? ;) :cool:

Its will definitely be an impressive achievement, there is no doubt about that, even just one of those four prizes is an impressive achievement and JV has won 3

I wish him the best of luck in winning his fourth

CarlMetro
10th January 2007, 21:04
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56185

Thankyou Arrows :up:

Congrats to J.V, I hope he does well :)

WelshLegend
10th January 2007, 21:49
im glad he's got a drive. it was unfair wot bmw/sauber done to him. i thought his input was starting to improve the team even more. my predictions are that audi will have a 1-2 with peugeot in a respectable 5 or 6 position. this year i think will be a development year for them.

Sleeper
11th January 2007, 00:13
As much as I wish him luck for Le Mans (which is definitely needed), its the other Pug with the steller line-up. Bourdais, Minassian and Sarrazin are going to be very fast, were as JV is partnered by the solid, but less than spectacular Marc Gene, but Lamy is a star in GT's and should be able to transfere that talant across to Prototypes.

Now lets hope that Peugeot create a fast car, afterall Audi werent to bad first time out with all three of their prototypes (not counting the R8C, which still wasnt too bad)

I am evil Homer
11th January 2007, 10:00
Audi had soem cracking sportcar drivers, which the Pug team lacks. Stefan has a bit, and Lamy of course is sublime, but there's no much experience there compared to an Audi team of Capello, McNish etc

ShiftingGears
11th January 2007, 13:01
Will this be Bourdais first Le Mans as well, and, is Loeb driving in a manufacturer team?

Needless to say I wish JV the best for winning Le Mans.

ChrisS
11th January 2007, 13:32
Will this be Bourdais first Le Mans as well, and, is Loeb driving in a manufacturer team?

Needless to say I wish JV the best for winning Le Mans.

I think this will Bourdais 4th Le Mans, he races sports cars regularly taking part in Le Mans and Sebring

Loeb has offered to race Le Mans 24 hours for free with Pescarolo Sport,

Neil Andrew
11th January 2007, 18:25
What is this thread doing in the F1 Forum. Surely it should be in GT Racing and Le Mans?

nca

ratonmacias
11th January 2007, 18:55
What is this thread doing in the F1 Forum. Surely it should be in GT Racing and Le Mans?

nca

seems like its on the right place as it has never left the top thread titles since its origin.

Mark in Oshawa
11th January 2007, 19:12

nca

IT should be, but I guess because JV last drove an F1 car, it can be here with equal seriousness.

I think JV got screwed by the fact teams fall in love with lap times in practice and qualifying, and they don't always acknowledge that experienced older drivers tend to make up for the blinding speed come race time by laying down solid laps, not making stupid errors in traffic or the pits. Jacques in his BAR years was always better in the race until often the car let him down. BMW results were no better for Heidfeld, but Jacques wasn't winning the lap time sweepstakes on Friday and Saturday.....I think he still has a lot of juice left in him...

Observer7
11th January 2007, 19:50
Graham Hill won the Indy 500, F1 World Championship, and the Le Mans 24 Hours, if JV wins Le Mans he will be the 2nd person to do it.

Villeneuve also won the Champ Car series. This is one more ...

Yours,
O7

Roamy
12th January 2007, 09:47

nca

Well if it would make you feel any better I am sure JV has had talks with Toro Rosso. While I can't confirm that he is probably recent enough in F1 to get some respect in this forum. It would be proper that we let all teams confirm their drivers before throwing JV under the bus. He was the fastest driver at BMW.

revmeister
12th January 2007, 22:37
An F1 champion should always be relevant on an F1 discussion board.

CarlMetro
13th January 2007, 16:50
An F1 champion should always be relevant on an F1 discussion board.

Quite right, perhaps this thread should be moved to the History and Nostalgia section, seeing that he's an ex-f1 champion/driver then :D

revmeister
13th January 2007, 17:11
There are no "ex-F1 champions" only current and past champions. And since this is current news about an F1 champion then History Nostalgia doesn't seem quite right either.

Hondo
15th January 2007, 02:10
Now that he must share a car, it's set-up, a team, and the spotlight with 2 other drivers, the only real question is after someone doubts him, his speed, or his ability, will he throw his petulant fit and quit the team before, after, or during the race?

Mark in Oshawa
15th January 2007, 07:27
I think JV goes to nostalgia when he has been gone for 5 years. Maybe 3.....but surely he drove in the last year, he cant be kicked the curb that fast. He still is better than some of the stiff's with rides....

pino
15th January 2007, 07:59
Quite right, perhaps this thread should be moved to the History and Nostalgia section, seeing that he's an ex-f1 champion/driver then :D

As soon as the new season starts, all JPM, JV, and MS (depending on how much he will be involved in the Ferrari Team) threads, will be moved to H&N forum ;)

Bagwan
15th January 2007, 20:16
Now that he must share a car, it's set-up, a team, and the spotlight with 2 other drivers, the only real question is after someone doubts him, his speed, or his ability, will he throw his petulant fit and quit the team before, after, or during the race?

Funny , because Zonta , whom everyone thinks got a raw deal beside Jacques , told me he had no problem with him .
And , upon leaving BMW , through mutual agreement by the way , he is offered roles in 3 competing series .
That's not so bad for a guy considered by some such as yourself , as "petulant", and having questionable "ability" .

Pardon me if I consider those with contracts in hand for JV to sign more credible , in terms of opinion , than you .

PSfan
16th January 2007, 02:16
Funny , because Zonta , whom everyone thinks got a raw deal beside Jacques , told me he had no problem with him .
And , upon leaving BMW , through mutual agreement by the way , he is offered roles in 3 competing series .
That's not so bad for a guy considered by some such as yourself , as "petulant", and having questionable "ability" .

Pardon me if I consider those with contracts in hand for JV to sign more credible , in terms of opinion , than you .

Thank you, I was trying to remember Zonta. When the rumour of Peugeot was going to be entering lemans, it was said the that Jacques, Panis and Zonta where the drivers involved.

BTW: who's driving the bus? it seems to have been parked for a while, and I haven't had my Tim Hortons for days?

Hondo
20th January 2007, 12:49

He quit BAR with one race left in the season upon learning that he wouldn't be retained the next year. BAR accepted his resignation. He quit BMW-Sauber because he didn't think it was right that a man with his track record and background should have to stand for comparison to a rookie, similar to his situation with the young Button. Considering his "watertight" contract with Sauber, then BMW-Sauber, my guess is that he failed to meet one or more performance clauses and that allowed BMW-Sauber to sit him out. I have no proof of that, but Jacques being Jacques, would have screamed like a stuck pig about being benched if the contract didn't allow for it. BMW-Sauber accepted his resignation. If you want to sugar-coat it and call it "mutual agreement" thats fine. The reality of it is that he quit, again.

I don't know about these roles in 3 competing series, but if one of them is the NASCAR thing, they would probably let me drive too if I paid them 18 million dollars. I wouldn't consider a position I had to pay 18 million dollars to obtain much of a job offer. If Peugeot wants him, thats great. I'm sure they are aware of what they are buying and I hope they are pleased with the results.

Although I don't recall directly calling Jacques' ability into question on the original post, I do believe he acts in a spoiled and petulant manner. I can easily see where the car set-up is going to be a sore point and where Jacques would start that " I have won races...I know how to win races...blah blah blah..." crap again to swing the set-up his way.

Contrary to what you may believe, I'm not wishing bad luck on the lad, I'm just not closing my eyes and ears to the reality of his past.

Roamy
20th January 2007, 15:56
well look at the opportunity we have to argue when BMW flops this year.

ratonmacias
20th January 2007, 16:28
He quit BAR with one race left in the season upon learning that he wouldn't be retained the next year. BAR accepted his resignation. He quit BMW-Sauber because he didn't think it was right that a man with his track record and background should have to stand for comparison to a rookie, similar to his situation with the young Button. Considering his "watertight" contract with Sauber, then BMW-Sauber, my guess is that he failed to meet one or more performance clauses and that allowed BMW-Sauber to sit him out. I have no proof of that, but Jacques being Jacques, would have screamed like a stuck pig about being benched if the contract didn't allow for it. BMW-Sauber accepted his resignation. If you want to sugar-coat it and call it "mutual agreement" thats fine. The reality of it is that he quit, again.

I don't know about these roles in 3 competing series, but if one of them is the NASCAR thing, they would probably let me drive too if I paid them 18 million dollars. I wouldn't consider a position I had to pay 18 million dollars to obtain much of a job offer. If Peugeot wants him, thats great. I'm sure they are aware of what they are buying and I hope they are pleased with the results.

Although I don't recall directly calling Jacques' ability into question on the original post, I do believe he acts in a spoiled and petulant manner. I can easily see where the car set-up is going to be a sore point and where Jacques would start that " I have won races...I know how to win races...blah blah blah..." crap again to swing the set-up his way.

Contrary to what you may believe, I'm not wishing bad luck on the lad, I'm just not closing my eyes and ears to the reality of his past.

he just stated last week that thiessen made him change his watertight contract a year ago just to race at the beggining of the season. it was either change the contract or fight with the lawyers he said.

you also seem to forget that sato said a few weeks before the japanese gp that he would be driving jaques car.

what did BAR get for firing jv? two drivers that have done worse than jv vs button even with all the stupid things richards did to help button.

Bagwan
20th January 2007, 17:49

Gosh , did I read too much into your original post ?
You said "after someone doubts him , his speed , or his ability" , and , strangely , I interpretted that as your intimating that this was inevitable .

Given that your opinion stated , Jacques being "petulant" and "spoiled" , his words being "crap" , and his set-up a "sore point" , is roughly consistent with your posting in the past about Jacques , I am not willing to believe you don't "wish bad luck on the lad" .

"It was a crap offer , with no money involved."-JV
JV was offered a contract by Richards , and it was rejected , as it was an insult , and the final blow in the perpetual battle that Dave and Jacques had over JV's salary .
Go ahead and try to tell me that Sato did as well as JV would have .
Sorry chum , it was all about Dave , who was later dumped , himself .
The paddock and public will eventually rue the day that Prodrive were assigned the last spot .

Yes , one off the series I mentioned was NASCAR .
Do you figure it would be hard to find $18million in sponsorship for the ride ?
Juan didn't seem to have much trouble .

My point , if you missed it , about mentioning Zonta , was that all the hype said that Jacques was that petulant prima donna you describe , but a guy who drove beside him through the turbulent Reynard era in the beginning says he had no problem working with him .

Sometimes reputations are undeserved .
Audi thinks so .
The DTM thinks so .
NASCAR thinks so .

Hondo
20th January 2007, 18:55
It tickles me the way the true believers refuse to acknowledge the "Q word". You can make all the excuses you want, all the rationalizations you want, but at the end of the day the man quit 2 teams in a petulant huff before the end of the contract. He quit, got it? Even he admits he quit. Y'all won't, but he will. When he chose to quit, both teams took him up on it immediately. I don't blame them in the least. If his contract was as "watertight" as he said it was, how could BMW-Sauber force him to re-write it? Your post is the first I've seen anywhere that Jacques was forced to modify his contract for BMW-Sauber. He refused to modify his contract at BAR and screamed to high heaven that contracts are sacred and must be honored. Why would he agree to modify it for BMW-Sauber? Maybe he operates under multiple sets of rules. Whats ok for Jacques to do, is not ok for others to do if it affects him.

I wasn't aware that JPM had to pay Chip $18 million for his Nextel Cup driving job. Maybe, due to past, very successful efforts, Chip was happy to be able to put JPM in a Nextel Cup car and waived the $18 million buy-in fee. Or maybe JPM wasn't asked to provide it. My understanding of Jacques' deal was $18 million, in advance, for a Busch or Truck Series ride, not the Nextel Cup. Was that incorrect?

Mark in Oshawa
20th January 2007, 19:26
Fiero, did it ever occur to you that Jacques is one of those rare people who just looks his adversary in the eye and says " I am not wasting time playing a game here, if you want the guy in the seat, I am gone". Most really good drivers/athletes whatever will not stay where they are not wanted.

At BAR, his loyalty was NEVER rewarded, and as history has shown, BAR has done little without Jacques, suggesting to me, that Jacques was not the problem. Jacques was not going to spend money on lawyers and going to work every day knowing he was spending money to hang onto a job where the manager turned on him to go get a flavour of the month. Is Jacques touchy? Maybe, but he won a championship in CART, and he won the f1 one with Williams, where last time I looked, Williams hasn't come close to a sniff since.

Jacques only real fault is he should have told Dave Richards right off the start that if he wasn't wanted, he would leave rather than fighting with Dave for about a year and a half. Richards didn't like JV for whatever reason, and as we have seen, Richards is a clueless moron in the world of f1. At Sauber, Jacques just left based on the theory life is too short to put up with this crap.

An ex F1 champion who likes to speak his mind shouldn't be accused of being petulant. He earned his stripes and he is a damn better driver than half the stiffs they will put in the cockpit in the next 5 years. Just because a guy is fast on Friday, or Saturday, doesn't mean success on Sunday. Jacques proved that over and over again by running in the points when the car would blow up or fall apart......and yet he got dumped for it. Jacques did the best he could with crap cars for over 5 years. I suggest that he didn't get stupid or hard to get along with overnight, it was and is the teams that don't know what they are doing.....

Hondo
20th January 2007, 20:32
What is so rare about somebody quitting a job they don't like? It happens every day. I've had 2 previous jobs in my working life that became unpleasant due to changes in management. I quit both of them, one with the proper 2 week notice, and the other with a 30 day written notice that I did not intend to renew my contract. There are people on this forum that have quit jobs.

It's really simple, he didn't like how things were going so he quit, and walked away from the team. Why is that so hard to admit? Once again, a cascade of excuses about how he was forced into quitting before he finished his contract. Pressure is part of every job and not being rewarded for loyalty is common amongst all working people. This reminds me of addicts blaming the entire world and it's faults for their wretched condition instead of their own weaknesses and fragile mental makeup. He quit. You don't have to be an Former Formula 1 Champion to speak your mind either. But speaking your mind doesn't mean you're right, it means you're stating your point of view. The old joke about 6 blind men describing an elephant applies here. Getting angry and walking out is petulant behaviour.

ioan
20th January 2007, 22:02
Sometimes reputations are undeserved .
Audi thinks so .
The DTM thinks so .
NASCAR thinks so .

I thought it was Peugeot and not Audi who signed JV, BTW I doubt Audi ever though they need JV for winning.

DTM? Don't know how good a series it is these days.

For NASCAR JV is a pay driver, and we don't think to much about them around here.

ratonmacias
21st January 2007, 00:40
I thought it was Peugeot and not Audi who signed JV, BTW I doubt Audi ever though they need JV for winning.

DTM? Don't know how good a series it is these days.

For NASCAR JV is a pay driver, and we don't think to much about them around here.

didnt your idol start as a paydriver?

rumor has it audi wanted jv and jpm for dtm.

and he is racing for peugeot in le mans what else do you want?

Mark in Oshawa
21st January 2007, 01:53
What is so rare about somebody quitting a job they don't like? It happens every day. I've had 2 previous jobs in my working life that became unpleasant due to changes in management. I quit both of them, one with the proper 2 week notice, and the other with a 30 day written notice that I did not intend to renew my contract. There are people on this forum that have quit jobs.

It's really simple, he didn't like how things were going so he quit, and walked away from the team. Why is that so hard to admit? Once again, a cascade of excuses about how he was forced into quitting before he finished his contract. Pressure is part of every job and not being rewarded for loyalty is common amongst all working people. This reminds me of addicts blaming the entire world and it's faults for their wretched condition instead of their own weaknesses and fragile mental makeup. He quit. You don't have to be an Former Formula 1 Champion to speak your mind either. But speaking your mind doesn't mean you're right, it means you're stating your point of view. The old joke about 6 blind men describing an elephant applies here. Getting angry and walking out is petulant behaviour.

You can quit because you don't need the hassle and be taking the high road if the people you are leaving ARE idiots.

As for him being a former champion, yes, that means he knows what it took to win. No one was listening to him so he figured he might as well cut out. You think Ferrari didn't cater to Schmaucher's wishes? Every year he threatened to quit, and they bent over backwards to make his life easier. Jacques would just show up and have to do deal with idiots.

You obviously think Jacques is the problem, and I don't. It isn't that hard to get, I get where you are coming from, I just think you are wrong.

The fact that BAR and BMW-Sauber have not turned any major corners with out Jacques points out once again, Jacques was not the problem. His fight with David Richards at BAR was nasty, and after going through that, he probably didn't want to have to defend his ability day in day out with the management at Sauber. IF they wanted Kubica in the car, then Jacques wasn't gonig to stay where he wasn't wanted. How many points and races did Kubica get that Jacques would'nt have conceivably gotten? NONE.

I think Jacques is just not into playing the f1 political game. Most f1 champions get treated with a little more respect than Jacques was able to garner, and I have not really figured out the whole story there. He may be outspoken and proud, but hey, so is Schuey and he got away with a lot more diva behaviour....and that was before he started winning at Ferrari.

Mark in Oshawa
21st January 2007, 01:55
AS for Jacques going to NASCAR, he would have to pay his way in and he wasn't into that. NASCAR wont take top drivers from outside the stock world as a rule, JPM is in only because Chip Ganassi is a buddy and sees in JPM what the rest of the NASCAR world wont see.

DTM is a great place for old f1 hands to make some money and have a good time racing. I am surprised Jacques didn't go.......

Roamy
21st January 2007, 02:46
well if I had JV's money I wouldn't take any sh!t either off of the morons he has worked for. Plus no one know about he Nascar deal cuz it ain't signed yet.
I am sure he did not pay Peugot. Also he probably won't pay Nascar but I would think he will attract a lucrative sponsor which is common in racing.

I can't wait til he gets a deal and we can see how he does.

Hondo
21st January 2007, 03:45
Well Mark, in 2004, BAR's first full season without Jacques and the last season under that "moron David Richards that knows nothing about Formula 1", BAR took 2nd place in the Constructors Championship. Beyond that, BAR has been on a downhill run since Richards left. Jacques continued to drive for Williams after winning the Championship so in fact Williams decline started while Jacques was still there although Jacques was not responsible for Williams being stuck with a dog of an engine. There are those that gleefully point out that Jacques goes faster in a car once the engineers listen to and obey his set-up requirements. The flip side of that is that the engineers feel the car would be faster still if Jacques would use the electronic systems and drive the car in the manner the engineers designed it to be driven. Thats what drove Patrick Head to make the statement that Jacques made winning the WDC harder than it needed to be. Jacques took a dominant car and made it almost average. Remember what a tough go Jacques had trying to come to terms with the technology of the Renault car in the last races of 2005? Exactly why do you think F1 teams don't fall all over themselves trying to hire the man? Do you really think it's because he's "outspoken"? I have yet to see or hear of any team that has said they want him back. Why is that?

I am unaware of Michael Schumacher threatening to quit on a yearly basis but few doubt his value to the team in terms of driving ability and technical feedback. The respect he got from the team was earned through results, not demanded due to past results. Don't forget how bad Ferrari was before Michael, Todt, and Brawn came together.

Although speculative, I for one believe Kubica got points and a podium that Jacques wouldn't have got if he had stayed. I think Jacques believes it too. Thats why he left.

Fousto, I believe Peugeot will have to pay him to drive and I think with his own car he would do well. With his unique set-up requirements, I'm not so sure he'll do well with a shared car. Although considered a Jacques basher, I have said many, many times that Jacques need to drive in a series that does not allow the level of technology that Formula 1 does. Thats why the guy did so well in CART. It was up to him to drive the car, not just pilot it around the track. As far as NASCAR goes, for $18 million, he could field his own Busch team. I think they want the $18 million to pay off sponsors and to hire a driver if Jacques walks out halfway through the season. Sort of a performance bond, as it were. If he really wants to continue racing he would probably do well in NASCAR although right now the major NASCAR players probably doubt his level of commitment.

Roamy
21st January 2007, 04:36
Fiero Most of us JV fans feel the Bar car was JV development efforts and have since gone astray. Also in 97 ferrari was using illegal TC so in fact the car JV was driving was not dominant. But Head is too stupid to get it just as he was the 4 corner setup. I feel if BmW flops this year it will again be like the Honda car. Development and setup is mainly the separation considering if all things get equal.. Speculation on BMw year end sucess is just dreamland. Now if BMW comes out this year and kicks ass then be my guest in bashing JV. And also lets just wait and see how the peugeot goes. He gets the first taste Feb1.

I would really like to see Jv and JPM go head to head. However if I were Toro Rosso I would get JV in the car somehow. Keep in mind BMW has a race winning engine so where is the problem. They have the best computer and wind tunnel. So based on everyone info they should just step up and kick ass this season. so lets see. Also if I were JV I would jump into that Canadian A1 car and see if I could win that championship also. So the long a short is that if BMW sucks this year Jv fans win a moral victory if the do well I will be the first to sign your book.

Hondo
21st January 2007, 04:47
JV would probably do very well in A1 but he doesn't seem to have any interest in continuing with open wheel racing. I don't think Berger would hire Jacques.

You know, if all this wind tunnel and computer design stuff continues, it's only a matter of time before all the team's cars look exactly alike. The data the engineers see will all be the same.

I agree that the BMW season results are based on speculation, but Kubica just looked like he was trying harder to make things happen.

Also, as you brought up a year or two ago, JV's vision is probably causing him problems as he ages.

race aficionado
21st January 2007, 04:48
:s mokin: I hope JV gets his ride soon, no matter where.

As long as he has the spirit and gusto and balls to strap himself up on a racing four wheeler so he can do what his great fan base says he does best, then we the racing fans should all be happy.

bring it on!

Roamy
21st January 2007, 04:53
JV would probably do very well in A1 but he doesn't seem to have any interest in continuing with open wheel racing. I don't think Berger would hire Jacques.

You know, if all this wind tunnel and computer design stuff continues, it's only a matter of time before all the team's cars look exactly alike. The data the engineers see will all be the same.

I agree that the BMW season results are based on speculation, but Kubica just looked like he was trying harder to make things happen.

Also, as you brought up a year or two ago, JV's vision is probably causing him problems as he ages.

yea I had lasik late in life and it took me a couple of years to adjust my depth perception back. Right after I had it I really noticed braking difficulties. I almost rammed a lot of sh!t before I got it handled.

Roamy
21st January 2007, 04:55
Hey Race - what are you doing up so late - Watching Hilary announcements

race aficionado
21st January 2007, 06:37
Hillary Who?? :D

Well we will finally get to know how far they will let her go.

Let's see what she brings on to the table, but better yet, let's see what others have to offer.

But back to the topic,

let's see what our guys bring to the table this year.

JPM is ready to rummble, let's hope JV ges the chance too.

:s mokin: