PDA

View Full Version : Touring Cars at Autosport - photo's

Brooklands78
14th January 2008, 14:21
For those of you unable to make it along to the Autosport International show, I've posted some of my photo's of the BTCC 50th Anniversary display at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brooklands78/sets/72157603709184780/detail/
There are also pictures of the new BTCC Diesel SEAT, Motorbase's BMW, VXR's Vectra and the Team Halfords Civic, Andy Priaulx's BMW, the WTCC Chevvy, Team GB's A1GP car, the F1 display and the excellent Colin McRae tribute

Marc W
14th January 2008, 15:17
All my photos are in one big set at the moment, you can findd them all here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19193662@N00/sets/72157603701853396/

thetrooper_uk
14th January 2008, 21:56
I liked all the BTCC cars through the years. I noticed they made a clanger with John Cleland 95 Cavalier, the wingmirrors on his car were yellow not white when it raced. Great photo's cheers.

PDS
15th January 2008, 00:46
It was only a show car! Not the real race car!

And I don't believe it ever used those wheels either!

WSRfan82
15th January 2008, 08:06
yeah i though it dint look right. if im right in 1995 the cavalier had black wheels not white

Marshall
15th January 2008, 08:42
The Super Tourers still look fantastic after all this time.

SEATFreak
15th January 2008, 08:52
It was only a show car! Not the real race car!

And I don't believe it ever used those wheels either!

I have been the victim of a "show car" too. Probably the same one since it was a Vauxhall Astra of John's.

The words "off" and "ripped" come to mind.

Would anyone mind making me aware of what the point is, as obvious as it may seem to most of you, in using a "show car" at these shows unless the real thing is not available?

I mean what does a show car make you feel about it that a real race car doesn't? I admit I did when I saw a John Cleland Vauxhall Astra "show car" that time and right until I was told it wasn't (mainly because I wasn't a BTCC follower back then), but as soon as I was told my view of it changed. I would not have got as excited about it as if it had been the actual once occupied by John. Because I wan't to know it actually raced. I don't want to know what it looked like close up.

How many more at the Autosport show are just "show cars".

Marc W
15th January 2008, 12:38
Possibly more than you realise, especially the F1 cars. they're quite often not even from the same year, never mind being actual race cars, but are just painted up in the correct colour scheme.

thompp
15th January 2008, 14:49
Excellent photos there. I've heard that in the past the show hasn't been that good, but from your images I certainly would have enjoyed it. I really must make the effort to go one year..!

WSRfan82
15th January 2008, 15:35
was there any volvos on display like the btcc 850 or S40 id love to see them again

Marc W
15th January 2008, 18:46
No, the BTCC cars you can see in my photos were the only ones in the 50th anniversary display. There were lots of omissions, but I guess they only had limited space. It did seem a bit daft to include two integra's though, one would have been enough.

WSRfan82
17th January 2008, 17:33
dam what a shame they show menus championship winning car and cleland but not rydells S40 lol gutted

KILOHMUNNS
17th January 2008, 20:55
It must be quite hard to display the actual race cars as most are sold on at the end of the season to other smaller teams and privateers. After a while they get new paint jobs and end up in smaller championships (supertourers, historics).

thetrooper_uk
18th January 2008, 12:54
yeah i though it dint look right. if im right in 1995 the cavalier had black wheels not white
Yeah it did have black mainly but they did use them white one's as well.

Dan Eaves Fan
18th January 2008, 17:00
Excellent photos from everyone. Its great to see the Old super tourers again really takes you back.

WSRfan82
18th January 2008, 20:57
Yeah it did have black mainly but they did use them white one's as well.

i did not know that they used white wheel as well as black

1995 thats the same year that thommo had his big crash right...if it was i missed most of that year so mite be why i never saw the cavy with white wheels think i only saw 2-3 rounds and one of them "oulton park" i went to

PDS
18th January 2008, 21:22
I think you will find that the white wheels were fitted with wet tyres.

So they were only used in the rain!

tdb
18th January 2008, 23:21
It must be quite hard to display the actual race cars as most are sold on at the end of the season to other smaller teams and privateers. After a while they get new paint jobs and end up in smaller championships (supertourers, historics).

Well the Cleland cavalier is sat in our workshops in it's original livery in every detail. it was preserved because it is the championship winning car. all they had to do was ask!

As for the astra, i don't know where it ended up, but who the *$%£! builds a show car with a sunroof????

It dissapointed me imensely as i could of supplied at least 1 iconic car!

WSRfan82
22nd January 2008, 17:02
Well the Cleland cavalier is sat in our workshops in it's original livery in every detail. it was preserved because it is the championship winning car. all they had to do was ask!

As for the astra, i don't know where it ended up, but who the *$%£! builds a show car with a sunroof????

It dissapointed me imensely as i could of supplied at least 1 iconic car!

what!!!!!! sunroof...what the hell

WSRfan82
22nd January 2008, 17:04
ive just been looking @ the pics again and the capri look brill who raced that

Marc W
22nd January 2008, 18:40
what!!!!!! sunroof...what the hell

You can just see it in this shot;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19193662@N00/2189274807/in/set-72157603701853396/

PDS
23rd January 2008, 00:02
ive just been looking @ the pics again and the capri look brill who raced that
Listed as... 1980 Stuart Graham Faberge Racing Brut 33 Ford Capri.

WSRfan82
24th January 2008, 12:09
cheers guys

that astra does not look right with the sunroof lol what were they thinking

the capri looks realy nice....i love the capri in gen