PDA

View Full Version : WTCC

SEATFreak
14th January 2008, 13:42
Anything really that is about the entries for the 2008 WTCC.

One piece of recent news ARCA Racing Team of Brazil look set to run a pair of 2007 ex-factory SEAT Leons. SEAT's are no longer exported to Brazil so it is purely private venture. No drivers signed yet but they are reported to be Claudio Cantelli jr and Danilo Dirani.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=1780

SEATFreak
17th January 2008, 16:50
Due to the overwhelming amount of inundating responses to this rather hot topic of ARCA Racing I have decided to move it on.

Interesting news regarding the Indie Champion that should wake some from their indifference. Such was the tiny margin of victory (2 points) over new team Proteam Motorsport (the team he raced for in 2006 with Luca Rangoni), Stefano D'Aste will be allowed to defend his Independent title...but with a 2 point handicap. I don't know what to make of this. One one hand I think "why not just let them defend their title anyway" but on the other I think "It should make things interesting".

LiamM
17th January 2008, 19:42
I think its more because of the fact the FIA barred Tom Coronel from defending his after he ran away with it a few years ago (2006?) and the FIA have to been seen as impartial in its judgements

SEATFreak
17th January 2008, 20:06
Thank you so very much LiamM. I appreciate what your doing going to this effort of helping me form some kind of thread. It is so impossibly hard for me to form threads when I start them.

The TouringCarTimes article did actually I think mention that fact. But why just 2 points? That can be easily made up in one race can't it?

100%hondafan
17th January 2008, 23:11
they should let tom in as he cant compete with the works but then again he would kick arse so he is in no mans land!

LiamM
17th January 2008, 23:20
The TouringCarTimes article did actually I think mention that fact. But why just 2 points? That can be easily made up in one race can't it?

Tell that to Mr Rangoni, who missed out on a World Independants title last year by 2 points!

VkmSpouge
17th January 2008, 23:27
I have to say the rulings in the WTCC do all seem to be rather daft. Stopping Coronel from competing for the Independents' title was stupid and this year it is a petty 2 point penalty for D'Aste. Good thing they aren't doing it for the Drivers' Championship.

SEATFreak
18th January 2008, 09:32
Just who is ruling the roost at the Touring Car Bureau?

I wonder if the answer can be found in why we don't see Sooty and Sweep on kids TV anymore? Hmmmmm....

First we had from last season all those seeming inconsistent weight penalties that blighted last season; that is not considering all the gaffs probably made before, now this. Another seeming inconistency based rule change. But this time the victim is the Independent Drivers Champion and how he runs his championship season. As you say Vkm, last year Tom Coronel wasn't even allowed to defend his title. This time the Champion (Stefano) IS allowed but now with a 2 point penalty.

It makes absolutely no sense to me to make such rulings. Why not just allow the Independent Champion to defend his title anyway?

As you say 100%hondafan the champion wouldn't be good enough for the overall Drivers Championship but though at the same time though he would indeed 'kick arse' I don't think he will defend his title quite that easily anyway.

I don't rule out Pierre-Yves-Corthals to win the title this year at all. The Exagon Leon went well for most of the season for me. PYC only left pointless from Oschersleben, Monza and race 2 at Macau. The lowest points achieved being the 3 in race 1 at Pau.

So for me the 2 point penalty doesn't have any real effect anyway.

Jimmy Magnusson
18th January 2008, 17:13
Due to the overwhelming amount of inundating responses to this rather hot topic of ARCA Racing I have decided to move it on.

Interesting news regarding the Indie Champion that should wake some from their indifference. Such was the tiny margin of victory (2 points) over new team Proteam Motorsport (the team he raced for in 2006 with Luca Rangoni), Stefano D'Aste will be allowed to defend his Independent title...but with a 2 point handicap. I don't know what to make of this. One one hand I think "why not just let them defend their title anyway" but on the other I think "It should make things interesting".

And a full 100% of me thinks that the FIA is a bunch of faffing idiots who doesn't know how to run a series properly.

100%hondafan
18th January 2008, 18:18
i can see there reasons when having a bigger think while bored at work today d aste was no threat to the works teams while tom one by over 20 points and would regulary beat a fair few works cars also tom is a payed driver by seat holland so is not really an indy driver.

but they do need to be a bit more conistant and not give out rule breaks. if your cars slow then you have to make it fast!

SEATFreak
19th January 2008, 13:15
Good point. Tom regularly had good races last season. Was nearly always in the top 10, finishing better than some factory drivers. But the amount of times Stefano was finishing in and around 12th, 14th and 17th is quite a lot. Four times he finished 17th.

I have of course decided to keep that topic going but I would like to move it on because I have seen very interesting news on touringcartimes that may be well recieved by many

The organisers of the WTCC to introduce limitations for the TDi Leons. The turbo and fuel pressure, aswell as the fuel/air ratio will be limited and the flatfloor will be taken away.

I am not a mechanic or engineer of any kind so I don't know what what means but it will be interesting to hear any comments from Roberto Ravaglia or Mario Thiessen about the limitations if ROAL decide to go ahead and run TDi's in this year and especially if the rule mean the cars performances will be affected greatly. I wonder if they will be all for the limitations now that the limitations affect them and not just SEAT?

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=1793

Jimmy Magnusson
19th January 2008, 14:03
i can see there reasons when having a bigger think while bored at work today d aste was no threat to the works teams while tom one by over 20 points and would regulary beat a fair few works cars also tom is a payed driver by seat holland so is not really an indy driver.

Take a look at the cars that raced this year. Coronel, Corthals, Colciago, Engström, Pedalá and de Villota all recieved support from national importers. You have to decide what an independent IS, and then write it into the regulations. Not decide on a case-to-case basis.

VXRDartford
23rd January 2008, 15:14
I do love anything to do with touring cars but the WTCC is getting a bit annoying cause they keep changing the rules. I can understand that they want to attract lots of manufacturers but I can't understand why they keep changing all the performance breaks just cause a car has bigger drag co-efficient or what ever.

If the car is not really the best shape for a racing car then use another one and as for seat last year if you can be botherd to do any testing over the winter you can't moan that the beemers are miles faster. If the BTCC can run competitively without having to keep changing the rules then why can't the WTCC.

I will still watch the racing as it is usually action packed and will prob go to Brands hatch to watch it but the BTCC in my opinion is a lot more naturally competitive rather then being engineered by the bureau

SEATFreak
25th January 2008, 13:44
More positive news now and N.Technology confirm they will run Accords this year in partnership with JAS

http://www.crash.net/news_view.asp?id=158973&pid=0&cid=88&news=n

SEATFreak
28th January 2008, 14:09
Further WTCC news that have come to light in a press conference in the Netherlands today.

Former N.Technology racer Olivier Tielmans of Holland has been announced as the new driver of German team Weichers-Sport; taking over from Independents Champion Stefano D'Aste who now is with Proteam. Of course it means Oliver will be switching to the BMW 320si. Not sure whether Weichers will be racing a new build or keep the old one though.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=1827

SEATFreak
3rd February 2008, 17:46
Oh Great! More beemers in the WTCC to add to the factory beemers (RBM, Schnitzer and ROAL), Proteam, Wiechers and Engstler!

Still a team is a team for me. Don't matter what they drive. It is the fact we have once again to celebrate another new team entering to race in the new 2008 WTCC season that matters to me.

And I hope they do well.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=1854

BDunnell
3rd February 2008, 18:26

but they do need to be a bit more conistant and not give out rule breaks. if your cars slow then you have to make it fast!

Exactly. The Chevrolets are the best example of this, of course. This sort of fiddling makes the WTCC a bit of a joke in my eyes.

thompp
4th February 2008, 09:09
As this seems to be a "confirmed entries" and "rumours" thread for the 2008 WTCC, it would be great if someone could post a list of confirmed entries and another list of likelies or probables.

SEATFreak
4th February 2008, 11:11
As this seems to be a "confirmed entries" and "rumours" thread for the 2008 WTCC, it would be great if someone could post a list of confirmed entries and another list of likelies or probables.

To my knowledge all the news I have given are confirmed. But I suppose it would add something if someone could contribute also to my thread; I mean any rumour or confirmation with any substance.

If for example (hypothetically speaking) someone says that Sun Red (sounds like they make fruit juice!) could be running a second ex-Gene TDi Leon but they really don't have anything of substance to back it up then I see no place for it.

But any news regarding the second N.Technology/JAS seat would be most welcome. And who will be running in the two Promotor Sport beemers also of course.

SEATFreak
4th February 2008, 16:40
Here goes for the confirmed:

RBM - BMW TEAM UK (320si)
Andy Priaulx

ROAL - BMW TEAM ITALY-SPAIN (320si)
Alex Zanardi
Felix Porteiro

SCHNITZER - BMW TEAM GERMANY (320si)
Augusto Farfus Jnr.
Jorg Muller

SEAT (Leon TDi)
Gabriele Tarquini (ORECA)
Yvan Muller (ORECA)
Jordi Gene
Rikard Rydell
Tiago Monteiro

RML - CHEVROLET (Lacetti)
Rob Huff
Alain Menu
Nicola Larini

N.TECHNOLOGY-JAS (Honda Accord Euro R)
James Thompson
tba

ARTMAN RACING (320si)
Andrey Smetsky
Alexander Lvov

SUN RED (Leon)
Tom Coronel

EXAGON ENGINEERING (Leon)
Pierre Yves Corthals

WIECHERS-SPORT (320si)
Olivier Tielmans

PROTEAM MOTORSPORT (320si)
Luca Rangoni
Stefano D'aste

LIQUI MOLY TEAM ENGSTLER (320si)
Franz Engstler

PROMOTOR SPORT (320si)
tba
tba

seb_sh
5th February 2008, 20:51
I agree with you guys, the FIA is making a mockery of the wtcc with all the balancing and leveling rule changes, most of them are incredibly artificial and awarded on case by case basis.

I think they are paranoid they will loose manufacturers if all aren't competitive and tbh can't really blame them, Alfa is pretty much gone which leaves 3 manufacturers officially entered, pretty low for a _world_ championship. (Is Honda going to be officially represented by NTechnology or are they privateers?)

100%hondafan
6th February 2008, 23:26
the honda is as works backed as the alfa has been for the last few years.

SEATFreak
7th February 2008, 10:30
Funnily enough N.Technology/JAS did their first test the other day in Valencia where they shared the data gathering from Thommo's driving with the STCC Swedish-Honda team (Thomas Engstrom/Thed Bjork).

Looks like Thommo will be #7 accoring to the pic.http://www.touringcartimes.com/picture.php?id=1873 But I am not really that sure of anything anymore so I am not saying that for deffinite.

Allyc85
24th February 2008, 13:50
Surprised nobody has mentioned the WTCC entry list, Lada are confirmed pending homologation!!

1. Andy Priaulx BMW Team UK BMW 320si
2. Augusto Farfus BMW Team Germany BMW 320si
3. Jörg Müller BMW Team Germany BMW 320si
4. Alessandro Zanardi BMW Team Italy-Spain BMW 320si
5. Félix Porteiro BMW Team Italy-Spain BMW 320si
6. Nicola Larini Chevrolet Chevrolet Lacetti
7. Robert Huff Chevrolet Chevrolet Lacetti
8. Alain Menu Chevrolet Chevrolet Lacetti
9. Jordi Gené SEAT Sport SEAT León 2.0 TDI
10. Rickard Rydell SEAT Sport SEAT León 2.0 TDI
11. Gabriele Tarquini SEAT Sport SEAT León 2.0 TDI
12. Yvan Muller SEAT Sport SEAT León 2.0 TDI
13. Ybrahim Okyay Borusan Otomotiv Motorsport BMW 320si
15. James Thompson Ntechnology Honda Accord Euro R
16. Olivier Tielemans Wiechers Sport BMW 320si
18. Tiago Monteiro SEAT Sport SEAT León 2.0 TDI
20. Tom Coronel SUN-RED Engineering Development SEAT León 2.0 TFSI
23. Pierre-Yves Corthals Exagon Engineering SEAT León 2.0 TFSI
26. Stefano D'Aste Scuderia Proteam Motorsport BMW 320si
28. Viktor Shapovalov Russian Bears Motorsport Lada 110 2.0*
29. Jaap van Lagen Russian Bears Motorsport Lada 110 2.0*
31. Sergio Hernández Scuderia Proteam Motorsport BMW 320si
42. Franz Engstler Liqui Moly Team Engstler BMW 320si
43. Andrei Romanov Liqui Moly Team Engstler BMW 320si

SEATFreak
24th February 2008, 17:45
Surprised nobody has mentioned the WTCC entry list, Lada are confirmed pending homologation!!

Because precious few have noticed this thread after a time; that's why.

LiamM
24th February 2008, 18:16
Because precious few have noticed this thread after a time; that's why.

1,508 views, hmmmmmm

SEATFreak
24th February 2008, 19:46
1,508 views, hmmmmmm

Did all 1,508 views all contribute in some small way?

LiamM
24th February 2008, 20:01
Lets put it another way,

BTCC 2008 Rumours
480 Replies, 45,548 Views
Gives 95 people viewing, before the next comment is posted.

WTCC
26 Replies, 1,612 Views
Gives 62 people viewing, before the next comment is posted.
(in a sorter time too)

So its not really neglected.

The problem is that the WTCC isn't massivly followed like the BTCC is

thompp
25th February 2008, 13:29
1,508 views, hmmmmmm

Yeah, but thats out of a total Earth population of 6 billion !!!! Come on !!!

vr4red
25th February 2008, 13:46
Ha ha, I can't believe Lada are entering cars in the WTCC. That is one of the funniest things I have seen for a long time. The old jokes are sure to re-surface but it will be interesting to see how they perform. I know Chevrolet are only basically re-badged Daewoo's, and Skoda have always had good performance and success in rallying, but Lada.....

SEATFreak
25th February 2008, 14:26
Ha ha, I can't believe Lada are entering cars in the WTCC. That is one of the funniest things I have seen for a long time. The old jokes are sure to re-surface but it will be interesting to see how they perform. I know Chevrolet are only basically re-badged Daewoo's, and Skoda have always had good performance and success in rallying, but Lada.....

I don't like to criticise people and/or things unless I have done the following a)established they deserve it and b)know enough about them or it.

And since I have established I don't think the warrant any criticism (what has Lada or Russian Bears Motorsport done to harm me??) and I don't know enough about either the team or the car in touring car racing, I hope Russian Bears Motorsport and their drivers Victor Shapovalov and Jaap van Lagen do well.

Yannis
25th February 2008, 23:38

I think that your impessions about Lada are not correct. Maybe you should remember the Lada VFTS and the Lada Samara Gr.A which were competitive at the rallies of 80's and mid 90's at their categories. Additionally don't forget the Lada Niva T3 which had very good results at the Dakar rally and other rally raids. And what about the Lada Samara T3 with parts and technology from the mythical Porsche 959 Dakar?

Many popular drivers have drive for Lada such as Jacky Ickx, Pierre Lartigue, Hubert Auriol, Jean Claude Briavoine, Salvador Servia, Rudi Stohl and the russians Sergey Alyasov, Alexander Nikonenko etc. Also Juan Pablo Montoya started his career driving a Lada Samara and the F1 Champion Kimi Raikkonen had his first rounds as a teenager in his old Lada 2101.

ATF
26th February 2008, 11:47
Jimmy T is missing the first round:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65308

Shame but there's no point trekking over there unprepared.

AndyRAC
26th February 2008, 12:47
Lets put it another way,

BTCC 2008 Rumours
480 Replies, 45,548 Views
Gives 95 people viewing, before the next comment is posted.

WTCC
26 Replies, 1,612 Views
Gives 62 people viewing, before the next comment is posted.
(in a sorter time too)

So its not really neglected.

The problem is that the WTCC isn't massivly followed like the BTCC is

Probably because it's not on 'normal' TV. This would help - seems crazy that a FIA World Championship isn't on normal TV, yet a National one is. Oh wait a minute that means 2 FIA World Championships are on Satellite/Freeview. The other one isn't - the FIA do concentrate too much on F1 to the detriment of the other 2.

seb_sh
27th February 2008, 16:54
I'm curious how competitive the Ladas will be. They were supposed to enter last year as a factory team but in the end they didn't and now it seems the Russian Bears team bought the cars Lada intended to race so they are already 1 year old and don't know how competitive they were in the first place. I think they'll be competitive against the privateers but no chance against the works teams.

LiamM
27th February 2008, 17:07
Probably because it's not on 'normal' TV. This would help - seems crazy that a FIA World Championship isn't on normal TV, yet a National one is. Oh wait a minute that means 2 FIA World Championships are on Satellite/Freeview. The other one isn't - the FIA do concentrate too much on F1 to the detriment of the other 2.

From the end of this year, start of next WRC will be on terrestial TV in some areas tho, due to the Digital switchover, Dave will be able to be accessed by everyone.

Yannis
28th February 2008, 16:21
I'm curious how competitive the Ladas will be. They were supposed to enter last year as a factory team but in the end they didn't and now it seems the Russian Bears team bought the cars Lada intended to race so they are already 1 year old and don't know how competitive they were in the first place. I think they'll be competitive against the privateers but no chance against the works teams.

Jaap Van Lagen answers:

I will help the team as good as possible to develop the Lada and reduce the difference with the other teams. The project is supported by Lada Russia and the contract is made for a period of three years. We expect to make our debuut to the WTCC during the test sessions in Valencia on 15 and 16 April.

source: www.jvl-racing.com (http://www.jvl-racing.com)

soperman
28th February 2008, 23:44
Jaap, I wish you all the best. I think you have a mammoth hill to climb, but just look where Chevrolet were four years ago. I doubt you have the expertise of RML Motorsport, but I love an underdog, and I'll sure be watching you.

vr4red
29th February 2008, 16:48
I don't like to criticise people and/or things unless I have done the following a)established they deserve it and b)know enough about them or it.

And since I have established I don't think the warrant any criticism (what has Lada or Russian Bears Motorsport done to harm me??) and I don't know enough about either the team or the car in touring car racing, I hope Russian Bears Motorsport and their drivers Victor Shapovalov and Jaap van Lagen do well.

I was not trying to be unfair or nasty to these guys, just having some fun. I am always happy to see any new team, especially with a different car, enter the series. I wish there were more manufacturers represented in BTCC. Historically Lada have not had a great reputation, but good luck to them. I am all for supporting the underdogs in any sport.

Captain VXR
29th February 2008, 19:50
I think Russian Bears will be added to my WTCC supporting list simply for having the balls to have a different car to all the others :)

vr4red
29th February 2008, 20:04
WTCC, as with all other sport, is about entertainment and enjoyment. We all have our own views but as long as the end result is fun surely that is important. I would not wish bad luck to anyone who is competing in this competition no matter what they drive or who they are. My main support will be for a UK driver, and Andy Priaulx has done a marvellous job in recent years, but seeing BMW win does not give me personally much enjoyment. Maybe JT can arrive late but still challenge for the title!?

SEATFreak
1st March 2008, 12:12
Couldn't agree more about Lada. I was chilling out having a coffee and reading my Touring Car book that I got for Christmas which was bought at a Marie Curie charity shop in Ulverston in Cumbria when I was on holiday late last year and quite a few things new to me really surprised me about the early years of the Super Touring era.

I was totally shocked when I heard Vic Lee had spend time for drug smugggling btw, but back to racing matters and I was more pleasantly surprised at what was happening as a result of this new era.
For instance the RML Ecosse Cavaliers apparently were as good as the works ones despite working on a fraction of the budget. One thing that stuck out was Andy Rouse's Carina. Forgetting about the likely numerous differences between the Lads WTCC cars and Andy Rouse's BTCC Carini from the early 90's Andy was able to finish third in a car with no racing pedigree. Though, despite being on the better Yokohama tires (which were apparently as good as the Dunlops at that time), it wasn't as agile it seems as the M3's or the Cavalier. Then theirs the Independently run Carina of Lee Brookes who in 1996 won the Total Cup. OK the competition was poor with only James Kaye as a serious rival but it to also did well for a car with no real pedigree.

I hope the Lada can do something similar. I also hope what I just said wasn't a load of bollocks and down will come the usual torrent! :laugh:

Rover V8
1st March 2008, 14:41
For instance the RML Ecosse Cavaliers apparently were as good as the works ones despite working on a fraction of the budget. One thing that stuck out was Andy Rouse's Carina. Forgetting about the likely numerous differences between the Lads WTCC cars and Andy Rouse's BTCC Carini from the early 90's Andy was able to finish third in a car with no racing pedigree. Though, despite being on the better Yokohama tires (which were apparently as good as the Dunlops at that time), it wasn't as agile it seems as the M3's or the Cavalier. Then theirs the Independently run Carina of Lee Brookes who in 1996 won the Total Cup. OK the competition was poor with only James Kaye as a serious rival but it to also did well for a car with no real pedigree.

I hope the Lada can do something similar. I also hope what I just said wasn't a load of bollocks and down will come the usual torrent! :laugh:

It comes down very much to who's developing and preparing the car, and whether they've got the budget to do the job properly. Those original Rouse Carinas were always going to be quick because they had a good team developing them, and Rouse had the money to do the job properly. Similarly, that Lee Brookes Carina in the '96 Total Cup will have benefited from the development on the Carina E that TOM'S GB had done as Toyota's factory-backed team from 1993-5- in fact that model was raced elsewhere, including Japan, so was a long way from lacking in pedigree, although it never had great success

If you had a proper budget and a team like RML to develop and run it, I'm pretty sure the Lada- or any other mid-size 2-litre saloon/hatch, even with no motorsport pedigree, could be made into at least a reasonable midfield contender

kmchow
1st March 2008, 17:38
For instance the RML Ecosse Cavaliers apparently were as good as the works ones despite working on a fraction of the budget.
Just to clarify, were the Ecosse Cavaliers developed totally independent from the factory? Or were they just running and further developing last year's spec cars?

It's a shame we never got to see how Rouse's Toyota Corolla would stacked up against the Works ST cars.

SEATFreak
1st March 2008, 18:28
Just to clarify, were the Ecosse Cavaliers developed totally independent from the factory? Or were they just running and further developing last year's spec cars?

It's a shame we never got to see how Rouse's Toyota Corolla would stacked up against the Works ST cars.

Looks like they had support from the factory.

This comes from the book about "Vauxhall Sport":

"Ray Mallock's RML form became involved in 1993 when, with more support from Vauxhall, Leslie (David Leslie) took three pole positions and a victory at Thruxton. RML tendered for the works' contract and built four cars for the BTCC and another for a Japanese customer"

Another piece states:

"After the Cavalier's championship success for John Cleland, Vauxhall moved on to the Vectra for 1996. RML was in charge of the Vauxhall Sport programme for the third year running...."

LiamM
1st March 2008, 19:07
I was totally shocked when I heard Vic Lee had spend time for drug smugggling btw

Currently, Vic Lee is again spending 12 years at her majestys pleasure, for yes you guessed it, drugs smuggling

Iain
1st March 2008, 19:29

In 1992, they ran ex-Dave Cook Racing Services (DCRS) cars. For 1993, they built and developed their own cars, featuring the clever column gearchange system.

Yannis
1st March 2008, 23:22
The Championship of 2008 seems to be very interesting. Today Seat made it well, Chevrolet is competitive and BMW is BMW. Let's see tomorrow!

SEATFreak
2nd March 2008, 08:20
The Championship of 2008 seems to be very interesting. Today Seat made it well, Chevrolet is competitive and BMW is BMW. Let's see tomorrow!

Yeah. Three SEAT's are in the top 4 for today's opening first race. Augusto Farfus is the only non SEAT achieving third. Yvan is the SEAT runner on pole with Rikard in second and in fourth Gabriele. Nicola the fastest of the Chevy's in fifth. Augusto's teammate at BMW Jorg Muller claimed the sixth spot.

philipbain
2nd March 2008, 08:51
I think going on current form we will see the BMW diesel debut at the start of the european season unless the FIA make some changes to equalise things.

SEATFreak
2nd March 2008, 16:51
After warmup they may just reconsider the TDi. In warmup Fafus, Muller and Priaulx stormed the session taking 1-2 & 3 respecively. Rydell was the only SEAT racer who came close.

VkmSpouge
2nd March 2008, 16:55
WTCC Race 1 Result:

1. Yvan Muller SEAT
2. Rickard Rydell SEAT
3. Augusto Farfus Jr. BMW
4. Jorg Muller BMW
5. Andy Priaulx BMW
6. Gabriele Tarquini SEAT
7. Jordi Gene SEAT
8. Felix Porteiro BMW
9. Tom Coronel SEAT
10. Pierre-Yves Corthals SEAT
11. Olivier Teilemans BMW
12. Stefano d'Aste BMW
13. Franz Engstler BMW
14. Andrey Romanov BMW
15. Sergio Hernandez BMW
16. Alex Zanardi BMW
17. Ibrahim Okyay BMW
R. Tiago Monteiro SEAT
R. Rob Huff Chevrolet
R. Nicola Larini Chevrolet
R. Alain Menu Chevrolet

To my mind it appeared that the BMWs were clearly the quicker car over the entire lap, however the SEAT absolutely murdered anything on the straights. SEAT effectively won the race during qualifying. Yvan Muller drove flawlessly and deserved his win. Good result for Andy Priaulx, he kept out of trouble and got through to a good 5th place, a good start in race two will see him challenging for victory. Woeful first race for the Chevrolets.

Allyc85
2nd March 2008, 22:20
2 interesting races today :)

The straight line grunt of the Seats was incredible, I dont think ive ever seen a racing car with such a clear power advantage. I expect there will be some changes for the next round.

Mp3 Astra
2nd March 2008, 22:37
If the BTCC SEATS are anything like the WTCC ones this year, everyone should start worrying a lot!

Some interesting racing going on - but a really terrible day for Chevrolet, all their cars having a bad time in both races...

Les
3rd March 2008, 06:31
Farfus excluded from race 1 due to technical problem

Robinho
3rd March 2008, 12:51
i think there will be a lot more tinkering with the rules regarding the TDI's this year, it was clear that the aerodynamically deficient Seats had quite a straight line speed advantage, but the BMW's seemt o be better over a race distance, whilst the SEATs can monster a lap. on the twistier tracks i think BMW will still have an advantage, either BMW will appear with their TDI or the rules will be tweaked to take the edge off the power advantage currenlty enjoyed by the SEATs - which will all become very political

as for the BTCC there aren't many places with massive starights that will favour the SEATs as much as in the WTCC, and if it penalises the handling a bit (one of the petrol BTCC Seats strong points) then they may actually struggle more at some circuits

Yannis
3rd March 2008, 20:48
Bravo SEAT!

AndyRAC
3rd March 2008, 21:25
Anybody know if there is a podcast for the WTCC? If not, it seems to me that the sport is under selling itself - not helped by being on satelitte TV.

gm99
4th March 2008, 13:14
I'm a bit surprised no-one is running an Alfa this season, not even as an independent entry. After all, Thommo has won races in an Alfa last year and been a contender for the championship, so they should still have been good for a couple of points this season.
Besides, I really enjoyed watching that car ;)

VXRDartford
6th March 2008, 17:22
Surprise surprise seat have been handed performance restrictions as they were so good in brazil. When will this tinkering stop you cant keep changing the rules because one make has a good round and the other does not. If BMW blitz the next round I am sure they will change things again!!

In response to Andy RAC. Last season you could watch highlights of each round on their website for free including the catchup program that was broadcast on eurosport after each race.

thompp
6th March 2008, 23:36
Last season you could watch highlights of each round on their website for free including the catchup program that was broadcast on eurosport after each race.

This season looks like a similar deal - the first rounds are available, minus commentary.

SEATFreak
7th March 2008, 09:26
I'm a bit surprised no-one is running an Alfa this season, not even as an independent entry. After all, Thommo has won races in an Alfa last year and been a contender for the championship, so they should still have been good for a couple of points this season.
Besides, I really enjoyed watching that car ;)

Indeed. We all remember Valencia. Winning both races. As fairly minor and trivial as it may seem to many no other driver achieved that last season. OK, we saw double win's for ROAL, RBM, Schnitzer, RML and SEAT all the time. But they were achieved with the different drivers. At Curtiba Schnitzer won both but the first was won by Jorg and the other by Augusto. No one driver won both. Apart from Thommo.

Surprise surprise seat have been handed performance restrictions as they were so good in brazil. When will this tinkering stop you cant keep changing the rules because one make has a good round and the other does not. If BMW blitz the next round I am sure they will change things again!!

Couldn't have put things better! I am one who is againt the concept of equalisation within touring cars. I just don't think you can hand restrictions to everyone every time they do something to be better and stronger than the rest.

In response to Andy RAC. Last season you could watch highlights of each round on their website for free including the catchup program that was broadcast on eurosport after each race.

But buffering is a problem though.

playmo
8th March 2008, 16:15
The way BMW's handled on the twisty section of curitiba was as impresive as the way the TDi's pulled on the straight. Guess that on street circuits TDI's won't have nothing to do with the lead of the race (altough i'm forgeting about the drivers skills). I got a little pissed 'bout the fact that chevy's got nowhere, but i'm hoping it's just the altitude and/or start if season.
Farfus seems to be eager for the title this time, but i think Rydell will play part on the wins throught the season.

m0rk
8th March 2008, 18:03
I got a little pissed 'bout the fact that chevy's got nowhere, but i'm hoping it's just the altitude

Maybe the thin air made Larini run into his team mate.

I think equally matched cars on a laptime, but with different 'abilities' around the circuit make for the most entertaining racing