PDA

View Full Version : Wood Bros /jtg racing SPLIT !!!!!!!!!!

tassiedevilAB
14th January 2008, 13:08
THIS IS A CRAZY WAY TO RUN A TEAM, the future is looking quite dim for the drivers is this tangled web?

Jon and Keven Wood will drive the No. 21 Wood Brothers Ford in the Truck Series.
Wood Brothers, JTG split entire stock-car operation
Teams will still work together in administrative functions
By Dave Rodman, NASCAR.COM
January 13, 2008
09:01 AM EST

type size: + -DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- After two seasons of cooperatively fielding teams in NASCAR's three national tours, Wood Brothers Racing and JTG Racing have split their competition elements for 2008.

The two groups will still work together in several administrative functions, including marketing and the teams' show car programs; as well as their race parts operation, both teams' principals said Saturday.

Complete Coverage
NASCAR Acceleration
SPEED Coverage
Daytona Countdown
Get your tickets
Book your travel
This season, the two organizations will continue to work out of a 120,000-square-foot shop in Harrisburg, N.C., that currently houses pairs of teams in Cup, Nationwide and the Truck Series.

Thus, it was almost business-as-usual Friday as the three-day Truck Series Preseason Thunder test session opened at Daytona International Speedway.

Third generation racer Jon Wood, 26, was driving the Woods' No. 21 Ford, which was garaged next to JTG Racing's No. 20 Ford piloted by Scott Lagasse Jr., who will drive the truck for the full schedule. Crew chiefs John Monsam and Gary Cogswell worked on the 21 and 20 trucks, respectively, just as they had in 2007 as teammates.

Eddie Wood, Jon's father and co-owner of Wood Brothers Racing, arrived at the track on Saturday, as did Tad Geschickter, the "T" in "JTG" along with wife Jodi.

"We just had different philosophies about where we wanted to go with our race teams and personnel, so we felt like it was better to file away the good experiences from the past two seasons and move on," Eddie Wood said. "We're excited to be here at Daytona, testing our truck with Jon behind the wheel and we're really looking forward to having our Sprint Cup car down here next week with Bill Elliott."

Geschickter said changes in NASCAR led to the divergence.

"Obviously, the competition part of it has changed, with the Car of Tomorrow in Cup and the old car in [Nationwide]; and truck with different rule packages," Geschickter said. "Originally the idea was to have one big competition department to share data, and that became less and less effective and really made us pretty slow to make decisions.

"So what we've done is just change our business structure, tighten the spans of control in the competition department by series and other than that, we're still all working together."

In addition to its truck, which will be driven by team co-owner Len Wood's son Keven, 23, Wood Brothers Racing will field the family's legendary No. 21 Ford Fusion in the Sprint Cup Series, tuned by crew chief Gene Nead with 1988 Cup champion Elliott behind the wheel during Speedweeks 2008 at Daytona.

Elliott will test the car next Monday-Wednesday at Daytona and compete in all Speedweeks events that car will contest, including the Feb. 9 Bud Shootout, the Gatorade Duel qualifying race on Feb. 14 and the 50th running of the Daytona 500 on Feb. 17.

The team has sponsorship for nine Cup races from the U.S. Air Force, with Jon Wood driving; and for 14 weekends from the Little Debbie brand of snack cakes. Little Debbie will be on the car for the Daytona 500, but Tasmanian Marcos Ambrose will be the primary driver of the No. 21 in the other Little Debbie races.

Elliott will drive the No. 21's other Cup races, with most of their sponsorship in place, Eddie Wood said. He said the team had primary sponsorship available for six races.

Geschickter said Ambrose would also drive four races in JTG Racing's No. 47 Little Debbie Sprint Cup car, at Indianapolis, Kansas, Atlanta and Homestead.

The Woods' truck has a season-long associate sponsorship from the Air Force, which marks the service branch's eighth year of marketing, recruiting and sponsorship of the Wood family's team in Cup and Truck.

"I'm very enthusiastic about this year's schedule as I'll be representing the United States Air Force in both the Sprint Cup Series and Craftsman Truck Series," Jon Wood said. "It'll be a lot of fun to share time with Keven in the truck because it's something we've always known would happen, and now it's here."

Keven Wood made his Truck Series debut last summer at Memphis, qualifying 19th and finishing 27th. At the Daytona test, he was atop the control tower, spotting for his cousin.

"I'm looking forward to Jon and I sharing the driving duties of the truck," Keven said. "I got the opportunity to drive in the Truck Series last year, and I liked it!

"I know I don't have to go far for advice, if I need it. I know Jon will be right there for me, along with my dad and Uncle Eddie, both in the pits."

In addition to its full season truck, JTG Racing will again have two full-time Fords in the Nationwide Series.

Ambrose, who finished eighth in the 2007 championship as a rookie, returns for another full season in the No. 59, tuned by new crew chief Walter Giles, who last season worked as race engineer with Martin Truex Jr. in the Cup Series.

Former ASA Late Model champion Kelly Bires, who stepped into the team's No. 47 Busch Series car in June and ended up 32nd in the drivers' championship while the car was 27th in the owner standings. Bires returns for a full season, as does crew chief Scott Zipadelli.

tassiedevilAB
15th January 2008, 03:03
Seems like the teams have got there drivers all sorted out, & who is driving what car . this is an article from jtg.

JTG RACING REVVED UP FOR FUTURE

Team Expects Bold Off-season Moves to Deliver Performance for Drivers Ambrose, Bires, Lagasse, and Pressley

HARRISBURG, NC (January 14, 2008) - The last 180 days have been the busiest period that JTG Racing owners Jodi & Tad Geschickter can recall. Notes the couple, “We are embarking on our 14th season in the NASCAR Nationwide Series and we don't think things have ever seemed faster paced. We also don't think we've ever been more excited about the team we've assembled for the upcoming season.”

In addition to changing the nature of their business relationship with the Wood Brothers to allow each company to tighten spans of control and make quicker decisions, JTG Racing added several key players to its roster to build on the team's 2007 success.

Former Hendrick Motorsports manager Butch Lamoreux was installed as Racing Operations Director last August and his impact was immediately noticeable. The No. 59 Kingsford and No. 47 Clorox teams delivered more top-15 finishes, more laps led and run within the top-10, and significantly higher average qualifying position than in the previous two seasons combined. Lamoreux spent two seasons with JTG Racing in the late '90's before moving to Hendrick Motorsports to broaden his horizons.

The team is excited to announce that former Australian racing star and former DEI race engineer Walter Giles will serve as Crew Chief for Marcos Ambrose and the No. 59 Kingsford/Bush's Beans Ford. Giles has amassed an impressive list of NASCAR accomplishments since moving to America 12 years ago. The list is highlighted by his work last season with DEI driver Martin Truex, Jr. as he posted his first NASCAR Sprint Cup win and earned a spot in the Chase for the Nextel Cup Championship. States Giles, “I'm really excited to work with Marcos. I've watched him for a long time, and have always been impressed with his skills in a race car. I feel that Ambrose has what it takes to be successful at any level of NASCAR.”

Industry-renowned engineer Ken Douglas is now JTG Racing's Technical Director. In recent years, Douglas helped develop Mo-tech Data Systems and drove the company's race data acquisition products to industry prominence. He also served as Director of Engineering for Stone Brothers Racing in Australia during consecutive V-8 Supercar Championships.

Scott Zipadelli will continue as Crew Chief for driver Kelly Bires and the Clorox Ford. The pair showed real promise down the stretch in '07 and Zipadelli expects to build on that momentum, “Last year was a learning experience for Kelly and me. We all really came together as a team in the last few months of the season.”

Greg Conner will serve as Crew Chief for the team's R&D efforts. In addition, he will be on the pit box for Ambrose' Nationwide Series races that fall on weekends when JTG helps alleviate some scheduling conflicts for the Wood Brothers by fielding a four race Sprint Cup campaign for Ambrose and his Cup Sponsor Little Debbie Snacks.

With an eye toward the team's future, JTG Racing will continue its productive Driver Development program (alums include Ambrose, Bires, and a number of crew members). Scotty Lagasse will pilot the No. 20 Craftsman Truck Series entry with guidance from veteran Crew Chief Gary Cogswell. States co-owner Tad Geschickter, “I've known Scotty since his dad drove some road races for us in the '90's. He is a talented driver who has lacked the funding and career continuity to fully showcase his skill. We are thankful to Brad Nicholson and the Nicholson Group for delivering the sponsorship that we need to provide Lagasse his first full-time ride in a national touring series.”

JTG will again help field the burgeoning career of Coleman Pressley, son of former JTG and Winston Cup driver Robert Pressley. Comments co-owner Jodi Geschickter, “We will continue to watch Coleman's progress as he tours multiple tracks in his NASCAR Late Model and runs a limited ARCA schedule. Now that he is a High School graduate, he's at the race shop full time and it's great to have him around. It's early in his career, but his personality and multiple wins the past two seasons have the team convinced that he will be a winner for JTG Racing for years to come.”

tassiedevilAB
17th January 2008, 01:09
is the race shop owned or least by both of them?

mercury8
17th January 2008, 08:42
2008 livery for the Nationwide Series car.

http://www.bammedia.com.au/images/gallery_373/PassengerSide-med.jpg

http://www.bammedia.com.au/images/gallery_373/ambroseno59kcff2008-med.jpg

RaceFanStan
17th January 2008, 14:37
is the race shop owned or least by both of them?
They own the race shop jointly. http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/smilies/roll_eyes.gif

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/c.jpg

A new racing company opened January 2006 in Harrisburg, NC
Wood Brothers Racing/JTG Racing Inc fielded :
1 Nextel Cup Series team #21
a 2nd Nextel Cup team (part-time) arrived in 2007, #47
2 Busch Series teams #47 & #59
2 Craftsman Truck Series teams #20 & #21

The company was to have a staff of 120.
Plans included hiring 20 more employees by the end of this 2006.

It was estimated to cost about $750,000 to upgrade the 129,000-square-foot former warehouse in Harrisburg, NC.
It was to be able to house up to 70 racing cars & trucks.

Wood Brothers Racing/JTC Racing Inc said it planned to invest $6.5 million in the joint venture.

In January 2008 Wood Brothers Racing & JTG Racing Inc split their partnership ...
however the 2 are still working together in a marketing & technological partnership ...
Geschickter will still be responsible for finding sponsorships for the teams he owns & the Wood Brothers teams ...
The teams will have separate directors of competition and separate budgets ...

In 2008 the 2 organizations will continue to work out of the SAME 120,000-square-foot shop in Harrisburg, NC.
It currently houses pairs of teams in Cup Series, Nationwide Series & the Truck Series.

Originally the idea was to have one big competition department to share data.
However changes in NASCAR led to the split. (read the COT)
The merger became less effective because of differences between the COT, Nationwide cars & Craftsman trucks.
(Data learned in the Nationwide Series will NOT be able to be applied to the COT)

How the split will work :
Wood Brothers Racing will field :
1 Sprint Cup Series team #21 ...
1 Craftsman Truck Series team #21

JTG Racing Inc (Tad Geschickter) will field :
1 Sprint Cup Series team #47 (part-time) ...
2 Nationwide Series teams #47 & #59 ...
1 Craftsman Truck Series team #20