PDA

View Full Version : The BMW-Sauber F1.08

Ranger
14th January 2008, 12:01
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64666

BMW unveil the new F1.08 in Munich

By Jonathan Noble and Pablo Elizalde Monday, January 14th 2008, 11:17 GMT

The BMW Sauber team on Monday became the fourth Formula One squad to unveil their 2008 challenger in an event held in Munich, Germany.

The new F1.08, with which the German outfit hope to take a step forward from last season, is BMW's third Formula One car since the manufacturer took over the Sauber squad in 2005.

The car, which will do a few laps at 2pm on a special track at the BMW Welt, incorporates a low triple-plane front wing, X-wings behind the cockpit and wheel covers in the front and rear.

BMW were one of the surprises of the 2007 season, when they established themselves as the third strongest team behind Ferrari and McLaren.

The team finished in second place in the constructors' championship following McLaren's disqualification from the standings.

"We have come quite a long way in two and a half years since the new team was created," said BMW motorsport chief Mario Theissen during the launch.

"We had two strong seasons and we spent a lot of effort on the new car. The F1.08 includes everything we learned, everything we experienced in the past two years. It will be a big step forward again.

"We are very confident to turn the battle with the cars in front of us into a battle with more than two years."

Theissen believes it will be hard to score their first race win with McLaren and Ferrari proving such strong competitors.

"It will certainly be difficult because the two teams in front of us are the strongest and most experienced," he added. "They will do a big leap so we have to improve more than they will. We made good progress in the past two years I am confident we can do it again and close the gap."

The car will be raced by Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica, who remain at the team for the third consecutive year.

"We think they are the best drivers," Theissen said. "I am pretty sure that they both can still improve, even this year because the car is supposed to be superior to what we had last year. We had a good relationship between the drivers and engineers.

"I see the drivers as key people of the technical team and with Nick and Robert we can be sure to make progress."
http://www.autosport.com/images/upload/1200309846.jpg

More pics to follow!

leopard
14th January 2008, 12:13
This maybe only my anxiety that someday Petronas will increase their share on the team in order to give more dominant color on the car. Running a new color like turquoise green of petronas instead of their classic color wouldn't be bad altogether. After all, It doesn't seem to happen though.

Osella
14th January 2008, 12:26
When you look at the BMW Motorsport colours that will not happen. After all, they managed to insist with Williams that Castrol had no tgreena dn Budweiser had no red so the whole car was white & blue, harking back to the Brabham days in the early 80's.

The new car from the front looks wicked though, http://www.autosport.com/images/upload/1200311908.jpg gotta love those BMW M-Sport stripes! :up:

Stuartf12007
14th January 2008, 14:21
The 3 tier front wing looks cool it will be interesting to see if it will benefit the car.

I have noticed Toyota and BMW have opted to use the front wheel dustbin lids like Ferrari.

woody2goody
14th January 2008, 14:59
Awesome looking car, looks better than McLaren and Ferrari.

I hope it will win a race or two this year. If it is capable of more, that's great.

Heidfeld for champion? Don't bet against it.

Osella
14th January 2008, 19:35
Well, we can but dream of BMW being world (F1, not touring car ;) ) champions again :up:

SGWilko
14th January 2008, 19:51
When you look at the BMW Motorsport colours that will not happen. After all, they managed to insist with Williams that Castrol had no tgreena dn Budweiser had no red so the whole car was white & blue, harking back to the Brabham days in the early 80's.

I think that was more to do with the requirements of the title sponsor - HP/Compaq. CMIIAW

Osella
14th January 2008, 19:56
No, it was BMW. They wrote into the engine supply contract that they controlled the sponsorship.
Just like Ferrari are only paid by Phillip Morris, who then re-sell the remaining space on the car excepting suppliers and technical partners, Williams' entire sponsorship was paid for by BMW, who then re-sold the other spaces to the title sponsor and other partners.
They insisted on only blue and white, as they are their corporate colours. Same with the works team now.

woody2goody
14th January 2008, 20:18
As much as i like the colours of the BMW, it makes for a slightly duller grid.

Look at the 2001 F1 grid with an orange arrows, a green jag, a yellow jordan, a blue prost and a red ferrari.

They were bright, easily recognisable colours.

In 2008 it will be a struggle to tell apart Force India, Super Aguri, Toyota, even McLaren from a distance, and heaven help us if Honda go back to their old livery. Add that to more white on the BMW and the renault and half the grid will look the same!

The teams must do something about it.

What about an orange/dark blue ING Renault, or an orange/green Force India car? They need to be more original IMO.

Osella
14th January 2008, 21:04
Just be glad it's not 1995, when Tyrrell and Jordan were requested to change their liveries as they were both too similar with Williams (all three teams originally Dark Blue/White) add Pacific (Dark blue & white) Benetton (light/dark blue & white), Ligier(dark blue) and Sauber (dark blue/green and white!) and it made it a little more difficult to tell the cars apart than normal ;)

ShiftingGears
14th January 2008, 23:04
I like the ridiculousness of the three tiered front wing, I hope the BMW is fast.

ioan
14th January 2008, 23:56
In 2008 it will be a struggle to tell apart Force India, Super Aguri, Toyota, even McLaren from a distance, and heaven help us if Honda go back to their old livery. Add that to more white on the BMW and the renault and half the grid will look the same!

Another reason to be a Ferrari fan! :D ;)

cos
15th January 2008, 00:16
Just be glad it's not 1995, when Tyrrell and Jordan were requested to change their liveries as they were both too similar with Williams

Requested by whom? Seems a bit of an odd thing to ask for... surely it's the teams' decisions as to what livery they run?

Osella
15th January 2008, 00:25
I believe a certain Bernard Charles made the suggestion they might be more easily identifiable on television if they changed their liveries... ;)

millencolin
15th January 2008, 00:29
i know this is a downright stupid thing to say but damn that car looks fast :p :

tsarcasm
15th January 2008, 08:04
it does look quick!!

-the leaders (SFM BMW) all now have McLarens 'extended' engine cover
-this BMW has the verticle sidepod flaps, Ferrari has also added these (started by Renault & Honda)
-the wishbones are also 'wings' per Ferrari, Toyota, McLaren
-following the hubcap trend, at least they are not spinners

gearhead250gto
15th January 2008, 08:17
The BMW-Sauber F1.08 looks very sweet indeed. I like the look of the three tier front wing, however I wonder about its intended benefit. I guess we'llsee if it's innovation or flash.

jens
16th January 2008, 14:13
Not impossible that we are looking at the World Championship winning car. It's interesting to follow the development of cars - sidepods are becoming like wings.

And they still haven't announced their test driver. Arguably Asmer & Co have signed the contract, but Mario's signature is missing. Asmer is also asked to come to the next BMW tests at Valencia. Probably Theissen has decided to wait and see, what is he capable of, before signing contract.

Osella
16th January 2008, 19:51
Well, he does like a successful Macau driver does our Mario.. ;)

leopard
17th January 2008, 03:02
Well, we can but dream of BMW being world (F1, not touring car ;) ) champions again :up:
Probably yes or not, let's have more time to see BMW, as F1 champ material, have stronger commitment to do so in future.

Roamy
17th January 2008, 07:30
Awesome looking car, looks better than McLaren and Ferrari.

I hope it will win a race or two this year. If it is capable of more, that's great.

Heidfeld for champion? Don't bet against it.

I'll bet =how much

tsarcasm
18th January 2008, 05:33
it is time for another team to fight for wins! it won't be williams, honda, or toyota

BMW will be triumphant this season