PDA

View Full Version : Villeneuve & Sprint Cup ...

Vez
13th January 2008, 17:07
Found this on Jayski's

Villeneuve not to run full season? On SPEED's coverage of Preseason Thunder testing coverage from Daytona, that things are up in the air with Jacques Villeneuve and the #27 [was #36] Bill Davis Racing team. Villeneuve was to run for the 2008 Raybestos Rookie of the Year Award, but supposedly now, will run the first five races of the 2008 Sprint Cup season and see where the team is after those races and if they get in the top-35 in owners points and the guaranteed spot.(1-10-2008)

Sounds intriguing. I wonder why this has come up? Is it because the team are struggling to much for what ever reason.

Osella
13th January 2008, 18:18
They don't have a sponsor, so don't have the budget for a full season as yet. They will suupposedly run the full year if they get a sponsor though.

Jonesi
14th January 2008, 00:10
I wonder if having two French-Canadians jump into Cup at the same time has potential Canadian sponsors indecisive. Add in they're both out of the top 35, with the stonger driver in the weaker team.

Osella
14th January 2008, 12:28
And the other one has the Montreal Canadiens links...
I don't care, more concentration on Dave Blaney is better I'd say ;)

RaceFanStan
14th January 2008, 12:46
To get into the top 35 in owners points the driver has to make the races ...
this will be the problem for not only Jacque Villenue but also for ...
Patrick Carpentier, Brian Vickers, David Reutimann, Michael Waltrip, Joe Nemechek, AJ Allmendinger & John Andretti ...
they will all need speed to make the race or they could go home. :s

Even Previous Cup Champions Bill Elliott (1998) & Dale Jarrett (1999) may be reduced to getting in on speed ...
2004 Cup Champion Kurt Busch could cause them BOTH to go home. :eek:
The Previous Cup Champion's Provisional goes to the MOST RECENT Cup Champion that needs it.

There will be at least 11 drivers trying to make the 1st 5 races on speed in hopes of getting into the top 35 ...
of course the hope of the drivers in the top 35 is to stay there ...
there is ONLY 7 starting spots along with the Previous Cup Champion's Provisional available ...
at least 3 "full-time" drivers will be going home in the 1st 5 races. :s

(There will also be "part-time" drivers trying to make the races which means more will go home.)

JasonD
14th January 2008, 17:57
I cant imagine it being easy to market a french canadian who has been liviing in Monaco for most of his life to a NASCAR audience.

Sure hes an Indy 500 winner, CART champion and F1 champion, but come on how many people here on this forum take him seriously, sadly very few.

JV could always pay his own ride via his club/restaurant "New Town" sponsoring him.

Lee Roy
14th January 2008, 19:40
I cant imagine it being easy to market a french canadian who has been liviing in Monaco for most of his life to a NASCAR audience.

Sure hes an Indy 500 winner, CART champion and F1 champion, but come on how many people here on this forum take him seriously, sadly very few.

JV could always pay his own ride via his club/restaurant "New Town" sponsoring him.

If he does well, he will get a following. NASCAR fans don't really concern themselves with where a driver did his "minor league" racing. :D :D

Just kidding.

I love JV. Looking forward to seeing him do well. I've seen him drive in CART and in Formula One. He's fantastic.

muggle not
15th January 2008, 00:36
partial season may suit him well. Don't know how he would hold up in a 36 race season. :)

tstran17_88
15th January 2008, 02:44
partial season may suit him well. Don't know how he would hold up in a 36 race season. :) I think he'd do better than JPM did last year...hopefully JV runs the full season.

JasonD
21st January 2008, 14:18
Watch for JV to make the entire season.

Bill Davis Racing probably wont make it past 5-10 races but JV Racing will.

Look for JV and his manager to buy out the team.

RaceFanStan
21st January 2008, 17:41
Why buy the teams that are consistant backmarkers ??? http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/smilies/roll_eyes.gif
Is Jacque Villenue stupid ??? http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/eek.gif
To buy Bill Davis Racing outright would not be a smart move IMO. http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/smilies/bomb.gif

JasonD
22nd January 2008, 00:23
Why buy the teams that are consistant backmarkers ??? :crazy:
Theyre cheaper in the short run.

Is Jacque Villenue stupid ??? http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/eek.gif
Depends on your point of view, went to a crappy team and did nothing for years except cash in at around $20 million a year.

To buy Bill Davis Racing outright would not be a smart move IMO. :bomb:
I guess we'll see if/when it happens and what he and Pollock can do with it.

RaceFanStan
22nd January 2008, 02:18
In reality you can't build a diamond ring out of a cow pile. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif
To believe otherwise is either a fantasy or an example of stupidity. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Bill Davis Racing builds a good truck in CTS but their technology is NOT up to the Cup Series. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/s.gif
There is no way that someone new to NASCAR could turn Bill Davis Racing around.
It would take a gigantic effort from a front-running CUP team to get Bill Davis Racing running well in CUP.
However front-running CUP teams will concentrate on THEIR teams & let Bill Davis Racing sink. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/eek.gif

In Summary :
1st off, Jacque Villenue made a bad choice going to Bill Davis Racing.
2nd, IF Villenue bought Bill Davis Racing he would just be buying bigger problems for himself.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
22nd January 2008, 14:28
Jacque Villenue made a bad choice going to Bill Davis Racing

Spot on there. You would think he would have tried to get a ride with a team higher up the grid.

IF Villenue bought Bill Davis Racing he would just be buying bigger problems for himself

I would rather see him buy them than watch anyother team go tits up.I do think if you bought the team and spent a $hit load of money you could turn it around, but thats said of most teams. If Villeneuve wanted to buy a team i think he probably would have already done it. (unless hes waiting for the Stock of said team to become very low and as cheap as chips)

JasonD
22nd January 2008, 16:07
Spot on there. You would think he would have tried to get a ride with a team higher up the grid.

You are assuming he didnt try, dont you think an Indy 500 winner, CART champion and F1 champion would try to get into a top tier team? I think this was his only option.

His thinking is might be at this point that if he can do something impressive with a crappy team/equipment, like he was able to do a few times in F1, then he might impress some people enough to get a better ride.

It also helps that if he doesnt do well that he can blame the crappy team/equipment.

Sparky1329
22nd January 2008, 19:35
In reality you can't build a diamond ring out of a cow pile. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif
To believe otherwise is either a fantasy or an example of stupidity. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Bill Davis Racing builds a good truck in CTS but their technology is NOT up to the Cup Series. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/s.gif
There is no way that someone new to NASCAR could turn Bill Davis Racing around.
It would take a gigantic effort from a front-running CUP team to get Bill Davis Racing running well in CUP.
However front-running CUP teams will concentrate on THEIR teams & let Bill Davis Racing sink. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/eek.gif

In Summary :
1st off, Jacque Villenue made a bad choice going to Bill Davis Racing.
2nd, IF Villenue bought Bill Davis Racing he would just be buying bigger problems for himself.

Diamond ring out of a cow pile? Now get over here and get me off this floor. :rotflmao:

Breeze
25th January 2008, 16:58
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=278288&FS=

UNICEF thanks Villeneuve

Racing series Date 2008-01-24
UNICEF thanks Villeneuve with a Gift of magic the gift of Health

Having promoted UNICEF during his 2007 and test program, NASCAR Sprint Cup rookie, Jacques Villeneuve welcomed UNICEF Canada to his Newtown restaurant in downtown Montreal, on the occasion of UNICEF's annual donor recognition event. This was the first opportunity for Villeneuve and the children's charity to co-present an event, which included an update in respect of UNICEF's newest initiatives.

Speaking in front of an intimate group of UNICEF's generous contributors, Villeneuve explained how he had made the decision to promote UNICEF to 75 million fans in 2007. Father to two infant sons, Villeneuve has embraced UNICEF's catalytic initiative, focused on helping build the capacity of national health systems in developing countries, delivering essential primary health care services for children and pregnant women to combat preventable childhood diseases. The driver, one of the world's most well-known, touched on the deaths of as many as 9.7m children annually from --minently preventable diseases' and while thanking UNICEF's many donors for their efforts to date, he called for them to join him in continuing to help wherever, and however possible. Towards the end of the evening the former F1 World Champion was presented with a very special gift; a symbolic gift of health presented by Mme Dallaire, Chair of the Gifts of Magic committee and Wife of Senator and former General, Romeo Dallaire, in recognition of the benefit Villeneuve has already made to children's lives through his support of the catalytic initiative.

Speaking immediately after Friday's event, Ms. Lili-Anna Peresa, Director of UNICEF Canada praised the Montreal-based race driver, commenting: "We are all so happy to have Jacques' support. When he offered to promote UNICEF on his race car, we had no idea of how much attention it would generate; of how far afield he would spread our word; and of how many new supporters it would bring us. UNICEF is very lucky to have a supporter like Jacques; someone who is truly committed and who brings an incredible amount of attention to our cause."

As the last of the guests exited the recognized bar and restaurant, Villeneuve spoke of his pleasure in carrying the colours of UNICEF: "None of us could have known how successful the UNICEF NASCAR initiative would prove. I'm no expert, but when I saw the (media valuation) numbers, I realised that it had delivered more than any of us had expected over US$6m of PR value in the first weekend alone. In the battle to save children's lives, that is something that the entire NASCAR community should be proud of." When asked for his reaction to the news of the gift of health donated in his name, he appeared flattered: "That was a total surprise. When I was told, it didn't sink in what they were saying it was something totally different, and I'm just glad to have had the chance to help make a difference to a great organization."

credit: jv

The really cool part of this is that clearly NASCAR fans took an interest and then ACTED!! The generosity of your average American never ceases to amaze me. :up:

JasonD
25th January 2008, 21:39
JV has been green lit by Toyota for the entire 2008 season!

On another note, JV and long time manager Craig Pollock have apparently split.

Breeze
26th January 2008, 17:05
Here's the link to that new report, if anybody is interested..........
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/news/158995-0/former_champion_parts_company_from_manager.html

Despite rumours that he did not have sufficient budget available to be able to complete the full season in 2008, Toyota Motorsport Vice-President Jim Aust today told Canadian newspaper Le Journal de Montréal that Villeneuve will indeed be competing for Bill Davis Racing throughout the entirety of the forthcoming campaign.

RaceFanStan
26th January 2008, 17:45
Dave Blaney struggled with the #22 Bill Davis Racing Toyota the entire 2007 season ...
however Blaney managed to get the #22 into 34th in Owner's Points by season's end ...
with the controversial deal* that happened with Kurt Busch & Sam Hornish Jr @ Penske Racing ...
I can't help but wonder will Bill Davis take the #22 Owner's Points & give them to Villenue's #27 ...
it would be totally unfair to Dave Blaney to take away what he worked so hard for to earn ...
but the team owners seem to want to give the openwheel deserters every advantage ...
Jacques Villenue has been embraced by Toyota, don't be surprised to see some favortism exercised. :s

*(Kurt Busch's OWNERS POINTS were given to Sam Hornish Jr assuring Hornish will start the 1st 5 races of 2008.)
(Kurt Busch does have a Previous Champion's Provisional to fall back on if needed.)

Breeze
26th January 2008, 19:24
I can't help but wonder will Bill Davis take the #22 Owner's Points & give them to Villenue's #27 ...

*(Kurt Busch's OWNERS POINTS were given to Sam Hornish Jr assuring Hornish will start the 1st 5 races of 2008.)
(Kurt Busch does have a Previous Champion's Provisional to fall back on if needed.)
I can't help but wonder if Villeneuve would refuse such an unearned gift.....methinks he would.

Which is to say, shame on Sam Hornish.

Mark in Oshawa
31st January 2008, 19:22
Jacques will struggle for sure, and Bill Davis may not be the best team, but I didn't see RCR, Hendricks or Roush vieing for his services. I think JV is in for the greatest challenge of his racing career, and he has dumped Pollock to ready himself for it. Pollock I think was parasitical in the process, and JV has finally figured out Pollock's style wasn't going to fly in Charlotte.

JV's crewchief was on Sirius one morning and said he is preparing to run the whole year, and knows nothing of this 5 race rumour. They don't have sponsors, but I suspect JV may be writing the checks himself.

There is some optimism with the Toyota's looking a lot better this year, but like Stan, I wonder how well BDR will compete. That said, they have Slugger Labbe there and he has done wonders in the past ( he was the man who put Mikey Waltrip in the winners circle, something many felt couldn't happen). It is going to be a long tight slog without top 35 points protection in the first 5 races, but if JV has a little luck, and drives smart, he just could pull this off.

Personally, I hope he does well and shows the boys down south little French Canadian guys can be tough too....but I suspect Patrick Carpentier will be the French Canadian we will be talking about at the end of the year. He has a better team to work with and has a more engaging personality. JV has to leave Europe behind......

Jonesi
31st January 2008, 20:54
I wouldn't be surprised to see TRD or S Cal Toyota Dealers on the hood at the Cal & LV races.

muggle not
31st January 2008, 21:17
Does anyone think there will be a rookie that will finish the season in the top 20 in points. I believe it is a long shot.

Jonesi
31st January 2008, 22:43
Does anyone think there will be a rookie that will finish the season in the top 20 in points. I believe it is a long shot.

It's happened every year in this decade, but most that did went into better car/teams than this year's rookies. It's doable but probably 14th-16th is the best they can do. Three of them are in Dodges, which may struggle just to stay the #3 manufacturer. One's in a Chevy but a struggling third place among Chevy teams. The last one's a wild card, if Toyota has the power & longevity, then the former world champion could really surprise people in a way he hasn't for about a decade.

muggle not
31st January 2008, 23:36
Montoya made it by the skin of his teeth last year and he was a better driver with better equip than most of this year's group. Regan probably has the best chance of a top 20 finish inpoints.

RaceFanStan
15th February 2008, 03:39
Jacques Villeneuve has failed to qualify for the Daytona 500 ...
A "full" season may be projected for him but ...
Villeneuve has started the season by MISSING the 1st race ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

JovialJooles
15th February 2008, 03:45
Jacques, you're way loose. Hold your line, hold it, hold it, hold it...

Doh!

Thought Patrick did well. :)

ms0362
15th February 2008, 20:16
I agree with Stan. Bill Davis Racing was a bad choice for JV.

Jonesi
15th February 2008, 21:58
I agree with Stan. Bill Davis Racing was a bad choice for JV.

BDR isn't a bad team and with Toyota's improvement this year should be a mid pack or better. The bad choice was going to an out of 'top 35' car, but that was the best he could do.

It's probably going to get worse. There's a 60% chance of rain next friday for the race in Fontana CA. (It's a full weekend too with NW & Trk series running, so there's not much give in the schedule.) JV's car is too far back in the pts to get in with a rainout.

call_me_andrew
16th February 2008, 00:17

Stan, that's the dumbest idea you've ever had. It would take a lot less effort on Bill Davis' part to just send an email to CAT asking them to stop sponsoring him.

BenRoethig
16th February 2008, 04:18
BDR isn't a bad team and with Toyota's improvement this year should be a mid pack or better. The bad choice was going to an out of 'top 35' car, but that was the best he could do.

BDR was a good team. Then they started working with Toyota behind Dodge's back and lost manufacturer support for a couple years.

BenRoethig
16th February 2008, 04:26
Breaking News: according to Jayski, unless JV pulls a sponsor out of a hat, he will be replaced by Mike Skinner starting next week at California.

Jonesi
16th February 2008, 04:41
Breaking News: according to Jayski, unless JV pulls a sponsor out of a hat, he will be replaced by Mike Skinner starting next week at California.

Forcast 60% chance of rain next friday in Fontana. 44th in '07 Owner Points isn't going to get in, if it rains. Car might not even get off the truck.

muggle not
16th February 2008, 15:35
Is Skinner and Benson bringing a sponsor with them.
If not, why drop JV to give them a ride? Guess I am a little puzzled.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65160

RaceFanStan
16th February 2008, 16:25
Stan, that's the dumbest idea you've ever had.
It would take a lot less effort on Bill Davis' part to just send an email to CAT asking them to stop sponsoring him.
Thank you for the insult. However you totally missed the point.
I wasn't promoting the idea, I was thinking what dumb thing would Bill Davis do next. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

RaceFanStan
16th February 2008, 16:31
The big advantage I see is that ...
Bill Davis will have EXPERIENCED drivers in the seat.

They have to be better than a rookie that skipped learning HOW to drive a stockcar ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Sparky1329
16th February 2008, 20:52

Good question. Maybe their sponsors will step up for them.

muggle not
16th February 2008, 23:54
Good question. Maybe their sponsors will step up for them.
What I am reading is that if Bill Davis is going to race without a sponsor he wants some drivers with experience behind the wheel. JV obviously does not have Cup experience and has looked a little shaky behind the wheel.

Sparky1329
17th February 2008, 05:00
What I am reading is that if Bill Davis is going to race without a sponsor he wants some drivers with experience behind the wheel. JV obviously does not have Cup experience and has looked a little shaky behind the wheel.

A little shaky? You're very generous.

Breeze
19th February 2008, 15:59
At least Slugger believes in Jacques. Enough to have turned down other job offers in order to work with JV. Slugger hopes to have him back soon.
http://www2.canoe.com/sports/nouvelles/archives/2008/02/20080217-083403.html

rabf1
21st February 2008, 20:30
SKinner and Benson are a complete and total total joke.

WSRfan82
21st February 2008, 20:50

i cant belive you said that. Villeneuve is a fantastic driver just he not been given the chance as hes not had the right car team etc if he was in this championship he would do well i think. he will show you just how good he is

Sparky1329
21st February 2008, 20:52
SKinner and Benson are a complete and total total joke.

Do tell. Mike ranked second and Johnny ranked third in last season's CTS series and Mike has a CTS championship trophy on his mantle. I don't think that's a joke.

POS_Maggott
21st February 2008, 21:10
Do tell. Mike ranked second and Johnny ranked third in last season's CTS series and Mike has a CTS championship trophy on his mantle. I don't think that's a joke.

Not to mention Benson's (then) Busch Series championship...

JasonD
21st February 2008, 21:17
i cant belive you said that. Villeneuve is a fantastic driver just he not been given the chance as hes not had the right car team etc if he was in this championship he would do well i think. he will show you just how good he is

Ummm, wow, if only you had read my other posts regarding JV. I am a HUGE JV fan and was very excited to watch him and Carpentier at Daytona, bummer on that.

The fact is I think JV has a bit of a cloud over him, Pollock wasnt any help and his "dismissal" from 2 teams in F1 probably isnt helping his case in getting a decent ride.

I dont think his talent is REALLY in question but rather him paying his dues in the lower levels of NASCAR, I guess he needs his CTS and NS patches before hes worthy of Sprint Cup.

Funny I dont remember anyone crying about Jeffy-pooh strapping into an F1 car a few years back, granted it wasnt in a race but still everyone supported him.

Nick Brad
21st February 2008, 22:14
Well, looks like the dream is over before it began and he's been dumped on his backside after failing to qualify for the Daytona 500.

JasonD
21st February 2008, 22:34
JV is keeping the hope alive, Villeneuve, Green focused on NASCAR (http://tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=230105&hubname=auto_racing)

The Canadian Press
2/20/2008 11:15:14 AM
MONTREAL - Former Formula One champion Jacques Villeneuve reaffirmed his intention to earn a regular ride in NASCAR on Wednesday.
Barry Green, who owned IndyCar teams that Villeneuve rode to championships in the 1990s, will work with the native of Iberville, Que., to find the sponsors he needs to get a full-time ride, either in the Sprint Cup or Nationwide series.

They have also hired public relations firm Torchia Communications to help in the search.

More than 50 media members turned out to a news conference at Villeneuve's restaurant Newtown for an update on his progress and racing plans.

Interesting, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what and if anything happens.

RaceFanStan
22nd February 2008, 04:32
In the past NASCAR drivers haven't had to bring sponsors with them ...
this is setting a bad president if a driver has to furnish the TEAM's sponsor ...
the long-time fans will revolt if NASCAR allows drivers to "buy" their way into a stockcar ... http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums//images/icons/s.gif

NASCAR said they were through changing things ...
but now it looks like corrupt team owners are going to start making changes. http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums//images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Bill Davis hired Jacques Villeneuve & threw him into the top tier of NASCAR,
but then when the results weren't as Bill Davis had hoped, he kicked Villeneuve out,
the whole thing smells like a dead fish that has lain in the summer sun 3 days ! http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums//images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Jacques Villeneuve did jump into waters that was over his head but Bill Davis put a lead belt on Villeneuve. http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums//images/icons/s.gif

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
22nd February 2008, 10:01
In the past NASCAR drivers haven't had to bring sponsors with them ...
this is setting a bad president if a driver has to furnish the TEAM's sponsor ...
the long-time fans will revolt if NASCAR allows drivers to "buy" their way into a stockcar ... http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums//images/icons/s.gif

NASCAR said they were through changing things ...
but now it looks like corrupt team owners are going to start making changes. http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums//images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Bill Davis hired Jacques Villeneuve & threw him into the top tier of NASCAR,
but then when the results weren't as Bill Davis had hoped, he kicked Villeneuve out,
the whole thing smells like a dead fish that has lain in the summer sun 3 days ! http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums//images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Jacques Villeneuve did jump into waters that was over his head but Bill Davis put a lead belt on Villeneuve. http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums//images/icons/s.gif

I get your points but Bill Davis isnt in the best position at the moment. they need to qualify and finish races. they also need sponsorship $$$$ to keep the doors open.

But again this comes down to the openwheel argument. If i was an owner i would be looking for a driver that can drive a stock car and knows how to race on ovals. The openwheel guys are good drivers but they also seem to stick it in the fence alot.

woody2goody
23rd February 2008, 21:52
Well, looks like the dream is over before it began and he's been dumped on his backside after failing to qualify for the Daytona 500.

Even that wasn't his fault, that was a huge crash.

muggle not
25th February 2008, 23:56
Bottom line is JV has been dumped.

He should not have been there in the first place.

Busch (Nationwide) and CTS was where he should have been to learn the ropes in Nascar.

JasonD
26th February 2008, 14:04
JV was on Windtunnel Sunday night, sounded a little ticked at BDR. Said he expected more would have been accomplished by time he got there and that he was pretty much lied to about sponsors being lined up.

Vez
10th March 2008, 18:58
Found on Jayski:

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#news27

#27 team suspends operations: Slugger Labbe, crew chief of the #27 Toyota for Bill Davis Racing told Mike Bagley and David Poole on The Morning Drive (Sirius NASCAR Radio 128) that the team has suspended operations due to lack of funding. The #27 may run Talladega but sponsorship money is needed to keep this team afloat.(Sirius NASCAR Radio 128)(3-10-2008)

woody2goody
10th March 2008, 19:30
That's a bummer for that team. What happened to even having the UNICEF sponsor on the car. I mean I know it's a charity and not necessarily bringing in money but it's a big name nevertheless.

I hope they come back soon be it with Villeneuve or anyone else. Hopefully Jacques though ;)

BobGarage
31st March 2008, 11:21
... in the Speedcar Series.

http://www.speedcarseries.com/news/index.php?newsid=101&flag=n

Will race last two rounds (4 races) at Bharain and Dubai.

Bit of a come down from trying to cup racing. At least he will qualify though. Biggest field in the series so far has been 14 cars.

Lee Roy
31st March 2008, 12:54
Sad.

gloomyDAY
1st April 2008, 04:21
Sad.Yeah. Reminds of a Bruce Springsteen song.

All he kept talkin' about is glory days. Well, they'll pas you by, glory days!

JovialJooles
1st April 2008, 10:05
... in the Speedcar Series.

http://www.speedcarseries.com/news/index.php?newsid=101&flag=n

Will race last two rounds (4 races) at Bharain and Dubai.

Bit of a come down from trying to cup racing. At least he will qualify though. Biggest field in the series so far has been 14 cars.

I had to double check the post date, I thought it was April 1st...

JasonD
1st April 2008, 15:37
Didnt everyone here WANT him to go to a lower level and get some experience? Now granted SPEEDCAR sounds like a pretty low level of stock car racing, but still, he has a ride, will gain some skills, has the potential to prove he can drive a stock car and maybe, just maybe can get a trucks or NS in the near future.

Remember JV isnt doing this for money (anymore), hes doing because he wants to race.

BobGarage
2nd April 2008, 10:55
Remember JV isnt doing this for money (anymore), hes doing because he wants to race.

so the $1million he is getting for doing four 20 lap races in this series means nothign to him! ;)

JovialJooles
2nd April 2008, 12:36
Didnt everyone here WANT him to go to a lower level and get some experience? Now granted SPEEDCAR sounds like a pretty low level of stock car racing, but still, he has a ride, will gain some skills, has the potential to prove he can drive a stock car and maybe, just maybe can get a trucks or NS in the near future.

I didn't know SPEEDCAR ran on ovals...

JasonD
2nd April 2008, 14:14
so the $1million he is getting for doing four 20 lap races in this series means nothign to him! ;)

Damn, is that what hes getting? I may have to rethink my position. :laugh:

JasonD
2nd April 2008, 14:15
I didn't know SPEEDCAR ran on ovals...

Ever think about the road courses NASCAR runs? Ever think that myabe he will be making a run for the race in Montreal?

JovialJooles
2nd April 2008, 17:18
Ever think about the road courses NASCAR runs? Ever think that myabe he will be making a run for the race in Montreal?

Er, yes, I am fully aware that NASCAR run road courses.

However, I was not aware that Jacque's skills had diminished to such an extent that he needed to run in an inferior race series in Bharain and Dubai on circuits that in no way resemble Montreal, just to get the feel for what it might be like if he manages to get a deal together for the Montreal race.

Thanks for pointing this out to me.

I just thought he was maybe after the money. :eek:

After all, if he was serious about running in NASCAR, perhaps, maybe, just maybe, it might be an idea to run some more ovals and acclimatize himself to the effects of the draft on his racecar? :p

JasonD
2nd April 2008, 17:37
Er, yes, I am fully aware that NASCAR run road courses.

However, I was not aware that Jacque's skills had diminished to such an extent that he needed to run in an inferior race series in Bharain and Dubai on circuits that in no way resemble Montreal, just to get the feel for what it might be like if he manages to get a deal together for the Montreal race.

Thanks for pointing this out to me.

I just thought he was maybe after the money. :eek:

After all, if he was serious about running in NASCAR, perhaps, maybe, just maybe, it might be an idea to run some more ovals and acclimatize himself to the effects of the draft on his racecar? :p

:rolleyes:

Jacques Villeneuve said: "Speedcar Series looks like a great event and I have heard that it is a lot of fun. It's a series still in its infancy and will build up but I think it's a great idea. On a personal level, Speedcar will give me more road racing experience with this kind of cars which will be useful in future NASCAR road courses events, and it's also a great excuse to meet race fans."

muggle not
3rd April 2008, 03:16
I don't really think JV is serious about Nascar. Not trying to upset people but I think he perhaps thought everything would be handed to him on a platter. If he is really serious then he should at least run some in ARCA.

JovialJooles
3rd April 2008, 10:58
:rolleyes:

Oh please... :rolleyes:

Believe that if you want to.

JasonD
3rd April 2008, 13:48
Oh please... :rolleyes:

Believe that if you want to.

I'll make sure to question everything you quote in the future then.

JovialJooles
3rd April 2008, 16:32
I'll make sure to question everything you quote in the future then.

I don't tend to quote. But, you are more than welcome to question something you don't agree with. :D

I hadn't realised questioning JV's reasons to drive in Speedcar was a personal afront to you... :eek:

JasonD
3rd April 2008, 17:30
I don't tend to quote. But, you are more than welcome to question something you don't agree with. :D

I hadn't realised questioning JV's reasons to drive in Speedcar was a personal afront to you... :eek:

Its not, who said it was? are we going to go around and around with this? You're the one making it personal now. :p :

You're also the one questioning JV's quoted motives, which is your prerogative. I'll take his comments at face value, nothing wrong either way, just opinion.

JovialJooles
3rd April 2008, 21:07
True enough... ;)