PDA

View Full Version : Gladiators

RaikkonenRules
12th January 2008, 21:02
Anyone remember the show Gladiators which used to run some years ago. It's back in America. It was a great show and I hope it will return here too. :D

http://www.nbc.com/American_Gladiato...1538&mea=37440

airshifter
14th January 2008, 00:17
Entertaining violence, every country should have some. :)

Back when we lived in California we had a chance to go watch them film one of the old shows when we were at Universal Studios. We passed on the offer to spend more time in the park.

leopard
14th January 2008, 08:34
Unluckily I can't follow the link trough.

If we talk about film I don't think watching those fighting or playing swords would be problem, as it's fake and only some tricks involved to make the film looks real, however such film is not appropriate for children unless they are strictly under guidance of their parent.

Such violence TV shows as Smack Down, WWF etc are now prohibited despite their purpose of entertaining, at the cost of giving children negatives course, and therefore shouldn't play them on free TV.

I used to watch the real sport of fight K-1. I don't know that they are still exist today.

jim mcglinchey
14th January 2008, 08:38
Remember when Gladiators was on UK TV, the producers used to bum about the fact that Wolf etc were all regularly tested for steroids..I mean, who gave a shi+ if they were on steroids or not, its only TV.

millencolin
14th January 2008, 10:43
its coming back here in Australia too... cant wait :p :

SEATFreak
14th January 2008, 11:34
Remember when Gladiators was on UK TV, the producers used to bum about the fact that Wolf etc were all regularly tested for steroids..I mean, who gave a shi+ if they were on steroids or not, its only TV.

One was apparently. Shadow. That is why he was axed in about 1995 or 1996.

Mark
14th January 2008, 11:42
That was back when Saturday nights were brilliant, you'd sit down at 5pm and there'd be good stuff on right through until about 10pm.. you don't get that now! (Or maybe it's just because I was 12 years younger!)

SEATFreak
14th January 2008, 13:18
That was back when Saturday nights were brilliant, you'd sit down at 5pm and there'd be good stuff on right through until about 10pm.. you don't get that now! (Or maybe it's just because I was 12 years younger!)

Exactly! I was 17 when it started in 1992. Other than shows like Family Fortunes, Millionaire', and Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway, it is now wall-to-wall no-hopers trying to convince a panel of frankly bored pissed-off judges they can sing and/or dance.

Back in the 90's we still had the traditional Saturday nigh primetime shows. Orientated toward the entire family and done in the spirit of good fun.

I reckon that was the reason for it's success. It was exciting, fun and yet devoid of bad language and offensive remarks made by one to the other. "Wolf" (aka Bombay born Michael van Wijk) was the UK's badguy (he now runs an adventure playgroud in Auckland btw) but he never took his role seriously.

OK, things went on behind the scenes like an affair between James Crosley (Hunter) and Ulrika Johnsson (which was never of our concern as fans IMHO) but when the cameras were on it was never anything other than a fun and exciting day for all the family IMHO.

RaikkonenRules
14th January 2008, 17:38

and Gladiators was on ITV of all channels :eek: How times have changed.

I think Challenge TV and Virgin 1 show repeats now and again if you have Sky or Virgin Media. ;)

RaikkonenRules
14th January 2008, 17:53
Wolf vs Vulcan Season 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhYKEmxY7_c

Hazell B
14th January 2008, 19:53
.... James Crosley (Hunter) .....

When he was a little boy his mum used to come into my parents' shop in York. He was an obnoxious little tyke even then :mark:

About three weeks ago I was in York with a shop manager I know, when her phone rang. The call was about a trip to the pantomime that night to meet the two 'stars' she had booked to sign autographs at her shop the next day, but could she remember their real names? No. One was Harold Bishop from Neighbours and the other Hunter from Gladiators. I genuinely couldn't believe he still goes by that name. Talk about dragging the fame out far too long :s

There wasn't exactly a queue outside the shop next morning with autograph books, either :laugh:

But I do miss watching Gladiators on saturdays. It was a bit silly but fun. Anyone remember the woman competitor who landed a minor Bond roll after winning it? Eunice, I think she was called. Scouse with freakish strength. Liked her style :D

BDunnell
14th January 2008, 20:00
About three weeks ago I was in York with a shop manager I know, when her phone rang. The call was about a trip to the pantomime that night to meet the two 'stars' she had booked to sign autographs at her shop the next day, but could she remember their real names? No. One was Harold Bishop from Neighbours and the other Hunter from Gladiators. I genuinely couldn't believe he still goes by that name. Talk about dragging the fame out far too long :s

There wasn't exactly a queue outside the shop next morning with autograph books, either :laugh:

I wish you'd publicised that beforehand. I'd have been straight up there.

Hazell B
14th January 2008, 20:21
He's still in panto.
If you're that sad, enjoy :mark:

SEATFreak
18th January 2008, 17:03
Anyone remember the woman competitor who landed a minor Bond roll after winning it? Eunice, I think she was called. Scouse with freakish strength. Liked her style :D

Hudhart.

Won the 1994 UK Gladiators (series 3 I think) and the inagural International Gladiators. She then went on to become the Northern Contender coach for Gladiators: The Challenge in 1996. But not before tasting the other side of the fece. She also was "Blaze" for the live Sheffield shows. Her role as a Gladiator reallyended because she wanted to represent the UK in the 1995 "Ashes" series. Good thing too. She was runner-up in the competition. She also regained her title in Battle of the Champions also in 1995

The bond movie was GoldenEye. She was also in the Avengers and Titanic to name a few.

Not a bad role model for a girl who although excelled at kick-boxing (ranked No.3 in the world at one time) was until 1994 a floor manager at a McDonalds!

Maybe the Gladiators show was more of a role model than people think?

Hazell B
19th January 2008, 16:51
Cheers SEAT Freak, I'd wondered what she's gone on to do. :up:

SEATFreak
19th January 2008, 17:05
No probs. :) :up:

Well we are just about at that time when Gladiators used to be on and I must say the best thing on ITV tonight is Harry Hills TV Burp.

BobbyC
21st January 2008, 22:19
Don't like Hulk Hogan as presenter. Van Earl Wright (like BobbyC, from the same university) isn't as good as Mike Adamle because Mike called on site and did the interviews. Van Earl doesn't seem to be calling the game from the venue, since you don't see him doing interviews.

NoahsGirl
22nd January 2008, 17:11
I remember the UK version - used to watch it avidly. I do catch the respeats sometimes and shake my head about how i have either grown up, or was too easily pleased!

J4MIE
22nd January 2008, 18:22
Used to be essential Saturday night tv, as Mark says :up:

Hazell B
31st January 2008, 20:10
Thought somebody might have already brought this thread back, but as they haven't I'll do the honours.

Gladiators is coming back!
Sky, rather than ITV, are running auditions all over the place this month, so get your leotards out boys, and start doing some lunges :p :

RaikkonenRules
31st January 2008, 20:32
Damn it Hazell I was just about to post that news but you beat me to it. :p :

Great News even if it is only on Sky. :up: Wonder if any of the younger origenel gladiators will be on it. ie. Hunter

From the Sun website:

TIME to stock up on the protein shakes - Gladiators is back.

Members of the public are being challenged to battle a new team of TV warriors as the hit combat show is relaunched on Sky.

It comes eight years after the original was axed by ITV bosses.

Footie legend Ian Wright is tipped to host the revamped new version, which will get a prime-time Saturday night slot.

Referee John Anderson - the man behind the legendary “Gladiators ready” shout - is in talks to return.

And producers are on the hunt for 12 new Gladiators to replace old favourites including Amazon, Cobra and Wolf.

Last night an insider said: “Gladiators always got stick for being naff but the reality is people liked it. Obviously, some of the challenges they used to do were a bit tame, so it will be given a 21st Century makeover.

“A new batch of Gladiators is being sought, and hopefully, they will be every bit as colourful as the original bunch. The contests will also be much more exciting and dangerous.”

The new obstacle course-style challenges will include water and fire-based contests, and will run alongside old favourites such as the Eliminator.

Hazell B
1st February 2008, 14:59
I'm told Hunter won't be considered for a Gladiator role, but having said that I guess they could come back for talkie bits ;)

SEATFreak
1st February 2008, 16:00
Rest assured that the Wolfman (No...NOT the BDO's former Champion Martin Adams!) but the "other one" won't be. I am reliably informed he is happily living in New Zealand running something like one of those iindoor childrens playground things.

Dave B
1st February 2008, 16:42
I remember Wolf being bood* when he walked in to Thurrock cinema with (I assume) his elderley mother. Poor sod was just on a night out.

*What exactly IS the past tense of "boo"? :s

Hazell B
1st February 2008, 20:08
Boo-ed, Dave.

Take it from somebody who's heard enoughs boos in her time :p :

Drew
1st February 2008, 20:24
Boo-ed, Dave.

Take it from somebody who's heard enoughs boos in her time :p :

Problems with hiccups, Hazell?

;)

RaikkonenRules
2nd February 2008, 11:43
So what would you like to see in the new series? And what would you not like to see?

Personally the events I'd like back are all of the ones that were in Season 1, Powerball, Gaunlet, Skytrack, Pyramid, Hit and Run, Pole Axe and Pendulem.

The origanal theme tune possibly slightly updated.

A tournament for the gladaitors at the end of each series to establish the best and worst of them.

A rebel gladiator like Wolf was in the origanal.

John Anderson :D

Anyone other than Sky having the show :p :

What I don't want is:

Duel to be called Joust like in the American series.

Ian Wright :down:

Dumb events such as Vertigo and Catapult.

Staged pantomine like events like when Vulcan was arguing with Wolf all the way through Season 7.

Origanal gladiator names to be repeated.

A Celebrity contender series.

Hazell B
2nd February 2008, 16:19
John Anderson :D

He's probably going to be signed, according to teletext on Sky.

Staged pantomine like events like when Vulcan was arguing with Wolf all the way through Season 7.

You can't avoid that sort of thing on UK TV these days. They seem to think we're morons who believe it's real .... which most of the audience probably will do and be :mark:

A Celebrity contender series.

Without safety gear and pulled punches? May I put Carol Vordemann's name in the hat in that case. I'll be making a special masked Gladiator appearance in that episode :p :

RaikkonenRules
14th April 2008, 18:08
New Gladiator names and events were announced last weekend.

Females:
Battleaxe
Enigma
Ice
Inferno
Panther (we had one in the origanal)
Tempest

Males:
Atlas
Destroyer
Oblivion
Predator
Spartan
Tornado

Filming will start this Saturday

millencolin
17th April 2008, 15:19
Well, let me say this.

I loved the Australian series back in the day, back then i was also an avid NBA fan and rollerbladed while listening to 'Gangsta's Paradise', wearing my 'Hypercolor' tshirt and drinking 7Up, Dude!

But when gladiators returned to our screens for a new series this year... I cringed as I watched it. Perhaps the quality of it has decreased, or the fact that stuff you liked when you were a child, such as hobbies, tv shows and music, in general, simply become 'lame' when you reach adulthood.

Be Warned

SEATFreak
17th April 2008, 16:11
But when gladiators returned to our screens for a new series this year... I cringed as I watched it. Perhaps the quality of it has decreased, or the fact that stuff you liked when you were a child, such as hobbies, tv shows and music, in general, simply become 'lame' when you reach adulthood.

One possible reason certainly why I won't be watching is the new generation just won't be the same as the old generation.

The newer generation looks a more darker and serious version of the older generation that some younger kids may find hard to be attrcted too. And more pyrotechnics may not help matters.

The original generation I think had a very much warmer, more family friendly appeal that saw even sweet grey-haired grannies be able to get into the mood with the best of them in the younger more energetic fans.

I think even with John Anderson I think it is a massive gamble to almost totally change the face and character of the original format. Tastes change and it will as likely be a smash hit. But we are still talking about a show open to families. The only certain upside is that I haven't heard anything about Nigel Lythgoe being the producer. He was the one who killed it off seemingly in favour of bringing the reality show to TV.

I am keeping an open mind though. It will also be on Virgin One for anyone who has Freeview.

Dave B
17th April 2008, 17:00
It will also be on Virgin One for anyone who has Freeview.
Not a chance - it's a Sky production and Virgin Media are their principal competitor. However Virgin 1 are showing re-runs of the original British series with Uuuuuulrika-ka-ka-ka.