PDA

View Full Version : Honda still green?

Osella
12th January 2008, 20:25
Does anyone know if Honda are still intending to run the 'Earth car' livery this season?
As far as I know they have not tied up any major sponsorship deal, unless it's been kept very quiet, so just wondering if they will run the Earth car again, or if they will revert to their traditional white & red?

SGWilko
12th January 2008, 20:30
Does anyone know if Honda are still intending to run the 'Earth car' livery this season?
As far as I know they have not tied up any major sponsorship deal, unless it's been kept very quiet, so just wondering if they will run the Earth car again, or if they will revert to their traditional white & red?

I doubt they will, they might just have some proper sponsors this season. ;)

I do think however that the idea behind My Earth Dream was a bigger success than they envisioned. Expect them to continue with the ethics.

philipbain
13th January 2008, 00:18
When Honda launched the "Earth Car" concept last year they said that they were locked in on it for at least 3 years, whether or not this is still the case given last year's appaling performance we'll have to wait until Honda launch thier 2008 challenger.

Valve Bounce
13th January 2008, 03:15
I think they are hoping for sponsorship from Green Peace with a SAVE THE WHALE logo on both sides and the front wing. The rear wing will be in the form of a whale's tail.

cy bais
13th January 2008, 04:42
I think they are hoping for sponsorship from Green Peace with a SAVE THE WHALE logo on both sides and the front wing. The rear wing will be in the form of a whale's tail.

or a big picture of ehmmm ... al gore.

:)

wmcot
13th January 2008, 07:12
or a big picture of ehmmm ... al gore.

:)

So the car will have to be quite a bit wider then??? :)

ShiftingGears
13th January 2008, 10:49
I hope they ditch the black from the livery. It made it look that much worse.

Osella
13th January 2008, 13:30
The rear wing will be in the form of a whale's tail.

You mean they're using an A1GP car?? :p

Stuartf12007
13th January 2008, 14:17
i hope they just have an all black car.

if they use the earth livery again they will have a poor season because of it.

Bagwan
13th January 2008, 14:35
i hope they just have an all black car.

Are you worried that the topography of the earth is too bumpy to be fast ?
Or is it the weight of the sticker that troubles you ?

Personally , I want to see the same livery , but I would like to see the earth rotating whilst going around the track . And , weather systems , too , so they could know when it was going to rain just by looking at the car .

Hell , a herd of Winnebagos , we're givin' em away , a solid gold Kama Sutra coffee pot , and , a baby's arm , holding an apple .

To think , they gave Pollock a hard time about the toilet seats .

V12
13th January 2008, 15:25
I personally just wish they'd paint the bloody thing white and red and just get on with it...but somehow I doubt it

Bagwan
13th January 2008, 20:11
If they really want to make it green , make it out of hemp fibre , not carbon fibre .
It would take some rethinking as it doesn't shatter , but then , that's a good thing . No scattered , shattered CF would be a benefit in itself , and it would be more applicable in the realworld as well .

markabilly
13th January 2008, 20:27
If they really want to make it green , make it out of hemp fibre , not carbon fibre .
It would take some rethinking as it doesn't shatter , but then , that's a good thing . No scattered , shattered CF would be a benefit in itself , and it would be more applicable in the realworld as well .

Smoking good idea... :s mokin:

but the danger would all those fans rushing to any flaming wrecks, all wanting to be downwind, and then there would all the problems of keeping the mechanics from smoking the chassis and components before the race... :s mokin:

Bagwan
13th January 2008, 20:35
Smoking good idea... :s mokin:

but the danger would all those fans rushing to any flaming wrecks, all wanting to be downwind, and then there would all the problems of keeping the mechanics from smoking the chassis and components before the race... :s mokin:

Listen , bud , don't be smokin' da stalks . It'll only give you a headache .

It might just mellow down St. Ron , don't you think ?

Hawkmoon
13th January 2008, 21:32
I think they should start the season with an all black car. At each race, starting at the nose, they should strip away the black revealing the earth underneath. This would symbolise the earth being freed from it's current polluted prision. It could also sybolise the lifting of the vail from the large number of people's eyes who still don't get the climate change message.

At the last race when the last of the black is removed, it could show a picture of Al Gore's fat arse just to shock us back into reality and make us realise that it doesn't matter what colour Honda paint their car it won't make a lick of difference to the state of the planet. :dozey:

millencolin
13th January 2008, 22:12

that on a japanese teams car? somehow i don't think so :p :

Osella
13th January 2008, 22:24
...it doesn't matter what colour Honda paint their car it won't make a lick of difference to the state of the planet. :dozey:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

AndyRAC
13th January 2008, 22:51
I personally just wish they'd paint the bloody thing white and red and just get on with it...but somehow I doubt it

I agree. They've made their point, in fact if Honda were really seroius about 'Green issues' then they'd pull out of F1 entirely. Or use a turbo diesel engine, a la Audi at Le Mans.

Osella
13th January 2008, 22:57
Oddly enough, I believe the F1 regs prevent diesel from being used.

Stuartf12007
13th January 2008, 23:26
what about a picture of a cock? for the cock driving it(Jenson Button)

Malbec
13th January 2008, 23:28
I agree. They've made their point, in fact if Honda were really seroius about 'Green issues' then they'd pull out of F1 entirely. Or use a turbo diesel engine, a la Audi at Le Mans.

Well they're on a knife edge aren't they. As a company they are greener than most car makers, in fact if they don't make a clean transition between building petrol engines to whatever replaces it they won't continue as a company. Yet how do they or anyone else square that with involvement in F1?

As for the car being black, problem is that black is too hot a colour literally! It might be alright for Barcelona in chilly December but not alright for Bahrain in April.

Malbec
13th January 2008, 23:29

Well they're on a knife edge aren't they. As a company they are greener than most car makers, in fact if they don't make a clean transition between building petrol engines to whatever replaces it they won't continue as a company. Yet how do they or anyone else square that with involvement in F1?

As for the car being black, problem is that black is too hot a colour literally! It might be alright for Barcelona in chilly December but not alright for Bahrain in April.

Hemp fibre isn't banned in F1 at all. If it offered an advantage then the multibillion dollar sport that is F1 would have adopted it. They haven't. Read into that what you will..... This is the same sport that was happy to incorporate the carcinogenic metal that is beryllium seeking a few milliseconds a lap.

Osella
13th January 2008, 23:32
This is the same sport that was happy to incorporate the carcinogenic metal that is beryllium seeking a few milliseconds a lap.

Well, McLaren were happy to..nobody else used it, then it got banned ;)

And certain hemp-related products are banned by the FIA, just ask Tomas Enge :laugh:

Also, would you really want to be racing the all-black car in a night race...? :p

Malbec
13th January 2008, 23:44
Ferrari had already developed and fielded a beryllium containing engine by the time it got banned, McLaren weren't alone.

Valve Bounce
13th January 2008, 23:52

Wait a minute - I hope you are not serious :D
I hope the mods don't ban you for this :p :

ioan
14th January 2008, 00:17
Ferrari had already developed and fielded a beryllium containing engine by the time it got banned, McLaren weren't alone.

Never heard about that. Do you have a link to this info?

Malbec
14th January 2008, 00:32
Never heard about that. Do you have a link to this info?

No. Not every bit of information is to hand on the internet, though a google search may yield some results.

wmcot
14th January 2008, 07:58

As in Jenson's a giant rooster??? He hasn't had much to crow about in his career so far. :)

Valve Bounce
14th January 2008, 08:20
I didn't know bunsen had a giant rooster?? :confused:
I thought he had a bent googly. :p :

ioan
14th January 2008, 10:03
No. Not every bit of information is to hand on the internet, though a google search may yield some results.

I tried google but all I got are other forum messages.

Spoonbender
14th January 2008, 12:14
My understanding is that the car will be black until the launch on the 29th January. This is because it will be harder to make out the shape of the car, thus securing it's unique design and therfore gaining an advantage over the rest of the field.
I'm just guessing that, reading from their website, if they are keeping the car black until the launch, then the car is going to look different. Otherwise it will be quite an anticlimax. If they don't change the Earth Car, then they may as well just play a re-run of last years launch.
Anyway, come on Honda, this year I want to see you battling with BMW for third in constructors, and come out with some better clobber as I need a new T shirt for Silverstone.

Osella
14th January 2008, 12:21
:laugh: Honda can come up with a matt black car if they want - but then it will get covered in BMW's dust! ;)

markabilly
14th January 2008, 12:55
As in Jenson's a giant rooster??? He hasn't had much to crow about in his career so far. :)

:D
if it were dc driving, then based on comments by some posters, a chicken...

but never having raced in Spa in the rain, that is easy for them to say :vader:

JasonD
14th January 2008, 14:04

Quite rational arent you? So I guess its the paint that determines the performance of the car? :rolleyes:

Big Ben
14th January 2008, 14:35
I just wonder who is impressed by this policy? I'm not. Bring back the sponsors... more money and a better looking car (probably)

Bagwan
14th January 2008, 15:54

Hemp fibre isn't banned in F1 at all. If it offered an advantage then the multibillion dollar sport that is F1 would have adopted it. They haven't. Read into that what you will..... This is the same sport that was happy to incorporate the carcinogenic metal that is beryllium seeking a few milliseconds a lap.

Hemp doesn't offer the same characteristics as CF , and requires a different design philosophy , but is eminently doable .
CF offers it's impact energy dissipation in the form of shattering , whereas hemp would bend . This is likely the most practical answer it has not been utilized .
However , the use of hemp fibre would likely be a much more cost effective alternative to CF which is very expensive to both create , and work .
Hempseed oil polymers are also a good option , either on thier own , or as binders for the fibre .

You've got to think , sometimes , about the amount of waste that follows this circus . Imagine the flow of just suspension parts , beyond the intended lifespan , in just F1 . Add to that , redesigns , and prangs , and it's got to add up to container-loads in itself .
And this , remember , is all CF , all having been laid up , in tedious , hand-work fashion , then cooked in expensive autoclaves .
It's landfill , but for a few bits that land on Ebay coffee tables .

If it all were hemp fibre , it would be compostable .
I know that sounds stupid , but it's actually true , and could be a major crowing point for a series that is finding itself harder to justify .

Take it one more step , and , rather than compost , "digest" the ex-parts with anaerobic bacteria , and use the methane to fuel the show .

If Bernie wanted a green vision , one that could really effectively save the world , this is it .

It makes great lubricant .
It makes great fuel .
It produces long and strong fibre .

But for the medicinal qualities of it's cousin , hemp might be used today in F1 . Because of these qualities , it was an easy target for propaganda , allowing the government , influenced by a mass lobby of big business , all with only self-centred economics , rather than the planet or it's people at heart , to render it illegal .
It was about oil , prescription drugs , pulp and paper , chemicals , latex paint , fertilizer , orlon and nylon , and that favourite breakfast coffee experience , "another edible oil product" creamer .

Only a guy like Bernie could do this .
Only a guy like Bernie would have the stones to do this .

75% of your sprung weight must be of compostable materials .
That includes tires , Bridgestone .

Keep the fossil carbon where it is and it will solve a big problem .
Set F1 on this road and we'll solve it really quickly .

It's too bad that , "what have you been smoking?" , is the first reaction .

Sleeper
14th January 2008, 19:43
Look at it this way, its better than another bloody red and white car.

Valve Bounce
14th January 2008, 22:29

Actually, my first reaction was "I want some of that stuff".

markabilly
15th January 2008, 00:29
:s mokin:
Hemp doesn't offer the same characteristics as CF , and requires a different design philosophy , but is eminently doable .
CF offers it's impact energy dissipation in the form of shattering , whereas hemp would bend . This is likely the most practical answer it has not been utilized .
However , the use of hemp fibre would likely be a much more cost effective alternative to CF which is very expensive to both create , and work .
Hempseed oil polymers are also a good option , either on thier own , or as binders for the fibre .

You've got to think , sometimes , about the amount of waste that follows this circus . Imagine the flow of just suspension parts , beyond the intended lifespan , in just F1 . Add to that , redesigns , and prangs , and it's got to add up to container-loads in itself .
And this , remember , is all CF , all having been laid up , in tedious , hand-work fashion , then cooked in expensive autoclaves .

I know that sounds stupid , but it's actually true , and could be a major crowing point for a series that is finding itself harder to justify .

Take it one more step , and , rather than compost , "digest" the ex-parts with anaerobic bacteria , and use the methane to fuel the show .

If Bernie wanted a green vision , one that could really effectively save the world , this is it .

It makes great fuel .

But for the medicinal qualities of it's cousin , hemp might be used today in F1 . Because of these qualities , it was an easy target for propaganda , allowing the government , influenced by a mass lobby of big business , all with only self-centred economics , rather than the planet or it's people at heart , to render it illegal .
It was about oil , prescription drugs , pulp and paper , chemicals , latex paint , fertilizer , orlon and nylon , and that favourite breakfast coffee experience , "another edible oil product" creamer .

Not me.

Fact is the more I smoke on it, the more I like it
And we already have smilie that fits :s mokin: :s mokin:

But this, Bagwan, is really dumb dumb:"Take it one more step , and , rather than compost , "digest" the ex-parts with anaerobic bacteria , and use the methane to fuel the show ."

Bacteria????
I have a better idea.....

"don't bogart that winglet, pass it over here...." :s mokin:

Valve Bounce
15th January 2008, 00:35
Not me.

Fact is the more I smoke on it, the more I like it
And we already have smilie that fits :s mokin: :s mokin:

You got the same stuff as Baggy??? :( :(

markabilly
15th January 2008, 00:38
You got the same stuff as Baggy??? :( :(
No i smoked it all yesterday.... :s mokin:

SGWilko
15th January 2008, 08:14

If markabilly and Bagwan were to start a team together, who d'you suppose they'd hire to drive......?

Just ask them, and the response would be......

"I think his names Ralph man" :rotflmao:

markabilly
15th January 2008, 13:29
If markabilly and Bagwan were to start a team together, who d'you suppose they'd hire to drive......?

Just ask them, and the response would be......

"I think his names Ralph man" :rotflmao:

Naw, man, it would be whoever pay us most for da privilege and brung their own hemp, man; you know man, we got to have the right chemistry to smooth out da ride of the team green and stay outa the kool aid

if they brought the right numbers, we might have freedie and lewie, but first freddie and lewie would chill out in true brotherly love back at the hotel in true brotherly love before each race-peace be on all :s mokin:

And smoke them if you got them

15th January 2008, 14:30

Tomas Enge.

ioan
15th January 2008, 14:59
Tomas Enge.

You beat me to it.

15th January 2008, 15:18
You beat me to it.

His team-mate would be Charles Zwolsman

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/35396/

ioan
15th January 2008, 15:36
His team-mate would be Charles Zwolsman

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/35396/

That's a sad story.

Bagwan
15th January 2008, 17:19
That's a sad story.

It's all a sad story , and not only for these few drivers , but for all of us .

Cannabis is illegal because a few soul-less people benefit from it being illegal .
Canada's "Prince of pot" , Marc Emery , was sentenced to 5 years in a Canadian prison yesterday , hence avoiding a life sentence in the US , for selling the seeds of a plant .
At one time , the US government had a film made called "Hemp for Victory" , encouraging it's citizens to grow it for the war movement . They had also previously paid farmers to grow it , and had accepted hemp fibre in lieu of taxes .
See the movie , "Grass" , narrated by Woody Harrelson , and you'll understand , at least partially , why it is the way it is . Read the book , "The emperor wears no cloths" , by Jack Herer , and you'll understand even more , why the prohibition of this plant is a crime against humanity .

I should have been more specific in my reference to that possible rule on compostable materials being used in construction of the cars .
I should have said they must be made of hemp , period .

Otherwise , those crafty devils(and I mean "devils" in the most scathing , not light-hearted way) will offer us the evil corn , a plant so in-bred , so "designed" , that it MUST have specific brands of fertilizers , herbicides , and pesticides , to survive .
It all , conveniently , takes diesel to apply .
Other than Canadians and others far enough north or south or up in altitude using it to prevent the carb from freezing up , methyl alcohol has no place in making things greener or better at all .
It costs us too much , in green terms , to produce .

If you took the example of just those suspension parts I spoke of earlier , and made it mandatory in just that one area , the effect would be to move the technology forward at phenominal rates .
When it was made illegal in the states , it coincided with the timing of a patent application for a hemp pulping machine being made , and since , much of the testing has been stifled by lack of funding due to pressure from major industry .
So , for all intents and purposes , we are talking about "stone-age" levels of technology in comperison to F1 .

How long after would we see hemp fibre panels in cars , being that China out bids the highest for the steel ?

Henry Ford built a car entirely out of hemp , fuelled and lubricated .
Bernie can , too , and save the world while he's at it .

I am sorry for going all serious and hard-nosed humourless here , but this sport represents more than a little irony in my life .
It is pointless , stopping my life to watch people burning around in circles on sunday afternoons all over the world , yet it is an indulgence I can't give up .
I love it , but I wish it could somehow be more justifiable , as I look out side at a skiff of snow that should be at least 3 feet deep .

I go from watching F1 , to my coffee shop , where I only roast coffee that I can ensure comes to me "fair trade" , from farmers in grass huts in Ethiopia , or from farmers carrying guns protecting the plantations from drug dealers in Brazil or Peru . It's all rather surreal .
I live in what is called a "cottage country" locale , ironically , being assaulted by "corporate" windmills . Fields of windmills are being put up , subsidized by the government , by Enbridge Energy , for carbon credits to sell to companies in Michigan and Illinois , across the lake in the states , upwind , so they may continue to burn Enbridge gas from the Chicago natural gas hub .
And , as a result , we get both the big ugly windmills , and the crap out of the stacks across the lake . We , at last measurement , have the worst air in the province here in "cottage country" .

Nice , eh ?

At least they have the element of natural gas , or methane as it's properly called , but they get it from fossil sources .

It all just pisses me off .

Come on , Bernie mon .
Sit i an I down beside the bagwan , an we can smoke the peace pipe , an let mother earth have a res .
Little mon wit big money , I an I show you how you can be big enough to save us all .

ioan
15th January 2008, 18:50
It's all a sad story , and not only for these few drivers , but for all of us .

Cannabis is illegal because a few soul-less people benefit from it being illegal .
Canada's "Prince of pot" , Marc Emery , was sentenced to 5 years in a Canadian prison yesterday , hence avoiding a life sentence in the US , for selling the seeds of a plant .
At one time , the US government had a film made called "Hemp for Victory" , encouraging it's citizens to grow it for the war movement . They had also previously paid farmers to grow it , and had accepted hemp fibre in lieu of taxes .
See the movie , "Grass" , narrated by Woody Harrelson , and you'll understand , at least partially , why it is the way it is . Read the book , "The emperor wears no cloths" , by Jack Herer , and you'll understand even more , why the prohibition of this plant is a crime against humanity .

I should have been more specific in my reference to that possible rule on compostable materials being used in construction of the cars .
I should have said they must be made of hemp , period .

Otherwise , those crafty devils(and I mean "devils" in the most scathing , not light-hearted way) will offer us the evil corn , a plant so in-bred , so "designed" , that it MUST have specific brands of fertilizers , herbicides , and pesticides , to survive .
It all , conveniently , takes diesel to apply .
Other than Canadians and others far enough north or south or up in altitude using it to prevent the carb from freezing up , methyl alcohol has no place in making things greener or better at all .
It costs us too much , in green terms , to produce .

If you took the example of just those suspension parts I spoke of earlier , and made it mandatory in just that one area , the effect would be to move the technology forward at phenominal rates .
When it was made illegal in the states , it coincided with the timing of a patent application for a hemp pulping machine being made , and since , much of the testing has been stifled by lack of funding due to pressure from major industry .
So , for all intents and purposes , we are talking about "stone-age" levels of technology in comperison to F1 .

How long after would we see hemp fibre panels in cars , being that China out bids the highest for the steel ?

Henry Ford built a car entirely out of hemp , fuelled and lubricated .
Bernie can , too , and save the world while he's at it .

I am sorry for going all serious and hard-nosed humourless here , but this sport represents more than a little irony in my life .
It is pointless , stopping my life to watch people burning around in circles on sunday afternoons all over the world , yet it is an indulgence I can't give up .
I love it , but I wish it could somehow be more justifiable , as I look out side at a skiff of snow that should be at least 3 feet deep .

I go from watching F1 , to my coffee shop , where I only roast coffee that I can ensure comes to me "fair trade" , from farmers in grass huts in Ethiopia , or from farmers carrying guns protecting the plantations from drug dealers in Brazil or Peru . It's all rather surreal .
I live in what is called a "cottage country" locale , ironically , being assaulted by "corporate" windmills . Fields of windmills are being put up , subsidized by the government , by Enbridge Energy , for carbon credits to sell to companies in Michigan and Illinois , across the lake in the states , upwind , so they may continue to burn Enbridge gas from the Chicago natural gas hub .
And , as a result , we get both the big ugly windmills , and the crap out of the stacks across the lake . We , at last measurement , have the worst air in the province here in "cottage country" .

Nice , eh ?

At least they have the element of natural gas , or methane as it's properly called , but they get it from fossil sources .

It all just pisses me off .

Come on , Bernie mon .
Sit i an I down beside the bagwan , an we can smoke the peace pipe , an let mother earth have a res .
Little mon wit big money , I an I show you how you can be big enough to save us all .

:up:

wmcot
16th January 2008, 07:05

If you guys are not going to share, I recommend you be banned from the forum! ;)

markabilly
16th January 2008, 13:35
If you guys are not going to share, I recommend you be banned from the forum! ;)

:eek:

17th January 2008, 21:51

What's your problem with Jensen? :confused: I'm interested in your opinions - really.

Malbec
22nd January 2008, 20:48

It makes great fuel .

Too bad for your theory that hemp is not illegal as a construction material, its simply not widely used because it isn't competitive against newer composites out there.

Market forces are market forces. Diamorphine = Heroin, the difference is that one is bought legally by the tonne by hospitals, the other will have to be supplied to you by the gram by your friendly local dealer. The fact that Heroin is illegal in most countries of the world doesn't stop America from being one of the biggest manufacturers of Diamorphine (same plant remember?) because it still trumps many other painkillers out there and a market exists for it. It doesn't stop every developed country in the world from buying Diamorphine yet spend millions stamping out heroin. If there is a demand for a beneficial use of a material it will be legalised in that field only.

Hemp doesn't sell because its no longer competitive, not because of some global conspiracy....