PDA

View Full Version : Dream Jobs

Hazell B
9th January 2007, 19:38
Adrain Chiles is doing a morning TV show about the top ten dream occupations and this morning's was being a photographer. He showed the pants side of it perfectly!

I know two photographers and on paper one's got the ultimate lifestyle - a house near the Nurburgring, vet for a wife, top models to snap at all day and fast motorcycles and cars both here (at his parent's home next to my stables) and at home - but it isn't all flashy living by any means. He's got stomach problems from the models stressing him, masses of driving, the fast cars and bikes are all old and he hadn't had any sort of relationship until meeting his wife in his thirties :p :

The other does mainly rural interest things, scenery and posh homes for auctioneers (plus he wants to take some pictures of a small female hedge laying :s ) and makes a good living, but always feels the pressure to find something new to photograph. Whenever I see him, he's running about getting stock shots and looking hassled.

So, no glamour in being the next David Bailey!

What job do you think would be a dream career, yet possible for you personally to manage without going mad?

Feel free to point out the nasty side of everyone else's choice!

I'd like to try beating Prince Charles at organic sheep farming, taking lambs right through from womb to frozen chops.

luvracin
9th January 2007, 19:54
Automotive journalist. You get to test drive cars all day and then write what you think. You can get away with all sorts of wild statements, and can pick the **** out of everything and don't have to worry about what you say.

Also, the kickbacks from Toyota and Honda to talk up their ever more boring offerings at the expense of everyone else must also be nice.

janneppi
9th January 2007, 20:01
My current dream job is hydraulics test engineer for a engineering company, fingers crossed for tomorrow. :D

Hazell B
9th January 2007, 20:14
Automotive journalist. You get to test drive cars all day and then write what you think. You can get away with all sorts of wild statements, and can pick the **** out of everything and don't have to worry about what you say.

Also, the kickbacks from Toyota and Honda to talk up their ever more boring offerings at the expense of everyone else must also be nice.

First victim!
I've been a journalist and it's nothing like you'd expect. In fact, it's utterly crap most of the time. You don't get to write what you like either (hence my stopping doing anything but freelance) plus you get your work ripped off, have to apply for everything rather than be offered it, have to get copy approved by whoever you write about, have to beat deadlines even when you can't think of any words, the travelling is dire, the photographers either don't turn up or moan all day and to top it all the wages are pathetic.

On the plus side, I did get lots of free things when I went freelance (mainly horse related - I wrote about them more than anything) and the lunches are very good at big sporting events. There are no other bonuses really.

martinbalmer
9th January 2007, 20:45
I'd like to be a computer programmer because you get to play on computers all day; no one understands what you are doing so can't tell if you are working or not; you get paid loads of money; and... and, er, your company car is a Ferrari... :p :

I'd love to be part of the team that creates animated movies.. Although not as an artist, more of a wave-my-hands-about sort of person.

But the moral of the story is that no job is really a dream job as each has it's own stresses, hassles, draw-backs and difficulties.

Alexamateo
9th January 2007, 20:46
Aside from being a racing driver, I'd say I already have my dream job.

I sell/broker trees and shrubs for a nursery grower/distributor here in the Southeast US. I turn on my cell phone, and I'm at work. If I drive anywhere(work related), I'm paid for it (currently $.485 per mile), I'm commissioned so my pay is directly related to how hard I work. I get to see my wife & kids during the day, and can run errands and do household chores even while taking calls. I make my own schedule and don't have anyone looking over my shoulder, As long as sales are made, I am pretty much left alone.

It's not all perfect of course. I have to tell my wife that just because I'm home, I am not necessarily availible to watch the kids so she can go out. I tend to work at all hours because I am always "at work". My sales are mostly to contractors and construction so there's never a "down" time. I am always on someone's deadline. Since, I am the only local employee, there's no one to hand off to in order to take some time off. (But, with a laptop and cell, I can sell and ship from the beach in Florida as well as from the house.) I can see how some couldn't/wouldn't like it. You have to be self-disciplined and a self-starter. There's always problems with shipping etc, and "fires" to be put out, but for me that's just part of the everyday adventure.

For me though, the freedom and income make it all worth it. I can't ever imagine taking a "regular" job ever again.

luvracin
9th January 2007, 21:06
First victim!
I've been a journalist and it's nothing like you'd expect. In fact, it's utterly crap most of the time. You don't get to write what you like either (hence my stopping doing anything but freelance) plus you get your work ripped off, have to apply for everything rather than be offered it, have to get copy approved by whoever you write about, have to beat deadlines even when you can't think of any words, the travelling is dire, the photographers either don't turn up or moan all day and to top it all the wages are pathetic.

On the plus side, I did get lots of free things when I went freelance (mainly horse related - I wrote about them more than anything) and the lunches are very good at big sporting events. There are no other bonuses really.

While I have no trouble believing you, as an engineer in the auto industry we are always on the recieving end of everyone else's over-simplified "That's crap! You should have done it this way" - especially from the auto journalists.

Despite what you say above, I'd love to be the one who gets to say "That's crap! You should have done it this way!!".

LotusElise
9th January 2007, 21:21
I'd like to be a computer programmer because you get to play on computers all day; no one understands what you are doing so can't tell if you are working or not; you get paid loads of money; and... and, er, your company car is a Ferrari... :p :

I'm working for a games company at the moment - the coders are under a lot of pressure and when deadlines loom, the hours can be horrendous.
I do think they do enjoy their work once they get to grips with it and when they get to complete a game to the standard they want it. However, outside pressures often mean that they have to finish things without putting in all the features and detail they would like.

My dream job is curator of the Brooklands Museum. I'd just love to be around the place all the time, getting to know everything about it and being its guardian. One day, when I've finished my education, I might get there.

A.F.F.
9th January 2007, 21:47
I could rate movies and rallyvideos because I have such a good taste :D

martinbalmer
9th January 2007, 22:30
the coders are under a lot of pressure and when deadlines loom, the hours can be horrendous...

I know... I wrote that tongue in cheek :)

tannat
9th January 2007, 23:11
There is a small winery about 20 minutes away from where I work. I take an indulgent lunch every once in awhile and visit there for a picnic.

It's away from the city and out in the country a bit. No neighbors, no tall buildings, just wide open country, and grapevines..

I'm tempted to leave my job each time I visit :)

grassrootsracer
10th January 2007, 00:28
Adventurer/mountain climber
Hermit on my own island or the Appalachians
Jay Leno's mechanic
George Barber's mechanic
Historic racing mechanic/engineer
Owner/founder/lead engineer of prototype/single seater chassis company
Stay at home dad with a wealthy wife so I can play with my cars and my (future) kids
Luxury yacht/sailboat designer
Sailboat captain/America's cup crewman
Stunt driver
Test driver for the automotive industry
Professional race car driver
Fire fighter

harvick#1
10th January 2007, 00:32
my dream job is just to have a job at what I want to do.

and absolutely none of those jobs that are seen on Dirty Jobs, unless its a destruction company :D

grassrootsracer
10th January 2007, 01:28
and that is?

Sleeper
10th January 2007, 01:31
Musician

However, I'm aware that for what I want to play there isnt the interest, certainly in this country, and I'd likely have to work part time somewhere so that I could indulge my artistic side.

Alexamateo
10th January 2007, 02:48
my dream job is just to have a job at what I want to do.

and absolutely none of those jobs that are seen on Dirty Jobs, unless its a destruction company :D

Since you're interviewing right now, your dream is just to have a job :p :

PS Good Luck! :up:

Alexamateo
10th January 2007, 02:50
There is a small winery about 20 minutes away from where I work. I take an indulgent lunch every once in awhile and visit there for a picnic.

It's away from the city and out in the country a bit. No neighbors, no tall buildings, just wide open country, and grapevines..

I'm tempted to leave my job each time I visit :)

Would that be Cordova Cellars? ;)

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2007, 03:35
My dream job is to drive for a race team owned by a rich brewer who has a beautiful nymphomaniac daughter with a IQ of 130 to fall in love with me. Failing that, Maybe Oily Oaf's personal prufreader. The pay would suck but the laugh's would be endless!!!

raikk
10th January 2007, 03:40
I would like to take Kovalev's job.. I always wanted to be an actor! :p :

(oops did I just say that out loud? :laugh: )

Valve Bounce
10th January 2007, 04:41
I want to sell sun tan lotion at a nudist beach in Bali.

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2007, 05:27
Valve bounce, you want to have a sign that says "installation of suntan oil by the consumer must be monitored" and then just sell to women!!!!

tannat
10th January 2007, 05:33
Would that be Cordova Cellars? ;)

Actually, Old Millington Winery
http://www.oldmillingtonwinery.com

Go visit Perry, Alexamateo. He does some really good stuff out there.. :up:

CarlMetro
10th January 2007, 08:59
Sex slave to Kylie Minogue and Cammeron Diaz :D

Failing that I've always wanted to own a nightclub, although what I do now suits me quite well most of the time.

Valve Bounce
10th January 2007, 09:11
Valve bounce, you want to have a sign that says "installation of suntan oil by the consumer must be monitored" and then just sell to women!!!!

Well, I was thinking along the lines of "Installation of suntan oil by vendor" and then sell to women only. :p :

ShiftingGears
10th January 2007, 11:13
Professional arse-kicker.

Ranger
10th January 2007, 11:15
Professional Arse Kicker.

Dazz9908
10th January 2007, 13:01
Astrophysicists, Brain surgeon, Rocket scientist,

I prefer Movie prop maker.

fly_ac
10th January 2007, 15:00
Well, I was thinking along the lines of "Installation of suntan oil by vendor" and then sell to women only. :p :

You will need a sign with a age restriction as well. :D

Donney
10th January 2007, 18:59
Thinking about it I would like to Flavio Briatore, even if I have to buy a new shirt everyday.

:p :

slinkster
10th January 2007, 19:31
Dream Jobs for me would be to be an...

Established Illustrator (what I'm working towards now)

Chocolate Taster- I'd be perfect for this... I have very sensitive tastebuds and chocolate is my speciality.

Art Therapist- because I genuinely think I'd be good at it.

Modelmaker for an animation company like Dreamworks or Pixar :)

Brown, Jon Brow
10th January 2007, 21:52
My dream jobs

* Be the singer/songwriter/guitarist in a successful rock band (is that a job?)

* Be an F1 driver (does that count as a job?)

* Become a Pilot in the RAF :D (don't know how to occomplish this though :( )

Dazz9908
10th January 2007, 22:10
My dream jobs

* Be an F1 driver (does that count as a job?)

* Become a Pilot in the RAF :D (don't know how to occomplish this though :( )
* Be the singer/songwriter/guitarist in a successful rock band (is that a job?) IMO Yea It's hard work long hours and on tour and recording times - no time off.

* Be an F1 driver (does that count as a job?) IF you get paid as one, then yes, if you pay to drive then no.

* Become a Pilot in the RAF :D (don't know how to occomplish this though :( ) Easy, First join the RAF, Pass all the pilot courses and then fly their planes. job done!.

viper_man
10th January 2007, 22:14
Professional footballer definately.

Id also like to be a world renowned science fiction author, something Im trying to work towards now.

Also something to do with the RAF which Ive become fascinated about recently after hearing stories from a local pilot who rescued two buddies from a nearby Tornado crash!

Brown, Jon Brow
10th January 2007, 22:18
* Become a Pilot in the RAF :D (don't know how to occomplish this though :( ) Easy, First join the RAF, Pass all the pilot courses and then fly their planes. job done!.

Easier said than done ;)

Dazz9908
10th January 2007, 22:20
Id also like to be a world renowned science fiction author, something Im trying to work towards now.

Cool, Let me know when your first novel/short stroy is finished, love to read it, Love Sci-Fi anything. :cool:
Envy anyone who can properly place pen to paper (so to speak) and scraw it out with a massive number of words and let them tell you a story, Go for my Son. :up:

Dazz9908
10th January 2007, 22:22
Easier said than done ;)
Always is, It always is. :p

LeonBrooke
10th January 2007, 22:32
Sex slave to Kylie Minogue and Cammeron Diaz

I can't believe you actually said that out loud! Of course, it's the kind of thing we're all thinking... ;)

My dream job would be some nurse job that allowed me to travel, and I don't mean driving 150km around Auckland every day, I mean travel the world, and get paid a huge amount of money. Perhaps working for an F1 team or a world rally team. It is, of course, just a dream.

More realistically: urology nurse, just so long as I didn't have to catheterise men, although I probably will... :eek:

LeonBrooke
10th January 2007, 22:37
Chocolate Taster- I'd be perfect for this... I have very sensitive tastebuds and chocolate is my speciality.

Art Therapist- because I genuinely think I'd be good at it.

I would be your colleague at the chocolate tasting - I think I would be well-suited to it too ;)

Art therapy would be interesting. I've read about it - interesting.

viper_man
10th January 2007, 22:37
Cool, Let me know when your first novel/short stroy is finished, love to read it, Love Sci-Fi anything. :cool:
Envy anyone who can properly place pen to paper (so to speak) and scraw it out with a massive number of words and let them tell you a story, Go for my Son. :up:

:up: Will do, although itll probably be in about ten years time! Ive started to write about five different pieces and got fed up or frustrated, Im determined to get one done though

viper_man
10th January 2007, 22:39
Sex slave to Kylie Minogue and Cammeron Diaz :D

Carl that is absolutely disgusting. You should be ashamed.

It should clearly be J Lo and Kelly Brook ;)

Ian McC
10th January 2007, 22:40
Lottery winner, I keep applying every week but alas as of yet no luck :D

Would love to go into space but don't fancy those dodgy rockets they use now so will wait until they build ships like out of Star Trek :D

LeonBrooke
10th January 2007, 22:43

That's one I'd like too. I start stories all the time but don't often finish them... one day I'll complete one, and it'll be good, and it'll be published...

Sleeper
10th January 2007, 22:46
My dream jobs

IMO, yes but would you take it as more than that or just something your good at?

Dazz9908
10th January 2007, 22:48
Would love to go into space but don't fancy those dodgy rockets they use now so will wait until they build ships like out of Star Trek :D
I'll sign up with you, traveling the universe with Captain Ian T McC, on his continuing saga of finding new worlds, new life forms and New Civialisations, To go where no Bloke would want to, but will do it anyway.
Yeah I'll sign up for that. :up:
Love to get off this rock before we stuff it all together. :cool:

But I think i prefer star wars and be a Jedi Knight or a Sith Lord. Just the mind control trick alone would be heaps of fun.

Hazell B
10th January 2007, 23:23
I sell/broker trees and shrubs for a nursery grower/distributor here in the Southeast US.

I'm all aquiver!
What chance a couple of the deciduous redwoods as tiny babies to England? Always wanted to grow them but only see larger ones at auction every two years or so and they're ruddy expensive :) I grow trees and shrubs on a small scale for my living :D

Surprised more people aren't saying pro footballer. All that money for so little work .....

harvick#1
10th January 2007, 23:55
Since you're interviewing right now, your dream is just to have a job :p :

PS Good Luck! :up:

exactly, you can't have a dream job if you don't have a job. plus I got an interview tomorrow, so hopefully I can start dreaming soon :)

ioan
11th January 2007, 00:54
Teaching at the university isn't bad at all.
200 hours of teaching/year, let's say another 400 hours to prepare for and examination. That's roughly 4 months of work/year!
There are 4 months guaranteed holidays too!
And there are another 4 months when you can do some research, if you are in the right mood.
You come and go when you want, lectures can be postponed even in the last minute! :D

So not a bad life at all, only the paycheck is a bit light! ;)

agwiii
11th January 2007, 01:14
Teaching at the university isn't bad at all. 200 hours of teaching/year, let's say another 400 hours to prepare for and examination. That's roughly 4 months of work/year! There are 4 months guaranteed holidays too! And there are another 4 months when you can do some research, if you are in the right mood. You come and go when you want, lectures can be postponed even in the last minute! :D So not a bad life at all, only the paycheck is a bit light! ;)

I'm with you ioan -- I have my dream job. I make my hours and can take time off whenever and as ever needed. I also have my consulting practice, my paralegal practice, and my newspaper column. It may not be what someone else would love, but it's exactly what I want.

oily oaf
11th January 2007, 07:13
I'd like to be the bloke who reads The Shipping Forecast at 12.50am on BBC Radio 4 or a man wot goes down the sewers in big rubber boots.

Ian McC
11th January 2007, 08:14
a man wot goes down the sewers in big rubber boots.

I am sure you could go and be him right now :D

CarlMetro
11th January 2007, 13:12
It should clearly be J Lo and Kelly Brook ;)

HELL NO! J-Lo has a bigger bum than mine, Kelly ain't bad, but she ain't no Cammeron :lips:

ozrevhead
11th January 2007, 13:15
Adrain Chiles is doing a morning TV show about the top ten dream occupations and this morning's was being a photographer. He showed the pants side of it perfectly!

I know two photographers and on paper one's got the ultimate lifestyle - a house near the Nurburgring, vet for a wife, top models to snap at all day and fast motorcycles and cars both here (at his parent's home next to my stables) and at home - but it isn't all flashy living by any means. He's got stomach problems from the models stressing him, masses of driving, the fast cars and bikes are all old and he hadn't had any sort of relationship until meeting his wife in his thirties :p :

The other does mainly rural interest things, scenery and posh homes for auctioneers (plus he wants to take some pictures of a small female hedge laying :s ) and makes a good living, but always feels the pressure to find something new to photograph. Whenever I see him, he's running about getting stock shots and looking hassled.

So, no glamour in being the next David Bailey!

What job do you think would be a dream career, yet possible for you personally to manage without going mad?

Feel free to point out the nasty side of everyone else's choice!

I'd like to try beating Prince Charles at organic sheep farming, taking lambs right through from womb to frozen chops.
Dream Career for me is doing Louise Goodman's job at ITV F1

to work at a commentator on pit lane would be...

ohhhhhh :D

schmenke
11th January 2007, 15:24
The ideal dream job is most definately a moderator of a popular internet motorsport forum :s tareup: :p :

jso1985
11th January 2007, 16:12
my dream job would be definitely be paid for listening to music or playing video games. or of course the even harder to get motorsport jobs