car20
11th January 2008, 15:49
found this on rockingham website
http://www.rockingham.co.uk/news/press_detail.asp?id=106

Would've been cheaper for a V8 :D

Good on him anyway Mr Hawkins

Nick Brad
11th January 2008, 17:23
It would be nice to have Rockingham on a Trophy car as well, but congratulations to Antony, it's good to see a driver such as him recieve some decent backing.

hicksy
11th January 2008, 19:28
I am surprised that Rockingham are backing a team to be honest. Sometimes you get the impression that they are not interesed in the racing or promoting the motorsport facility. Hopefully they have had a change of heart. However I think it will be a very good bit of advertising for them and not to mention good for Mr. Hawkins.

Congrats :up:

Jeff Carter
11th January 2008, 21:33
I am surprised that Rockingham are backing a team to be honest. :up:

Rockingham supported a Formula 3 car in 2001. Derek Hayes ran advertising for the Rockingham 500 for three races including the British GP support race -wonder why we did that :)

I had a meeting with the Rockingham team at the Autosport Show yesterday and was told about this initiative. It makes perfect sense when you see which tracks the Pickups are visiting this year. As for the assumption that Rockingham aren't interested in supporting motrosport I for one feel that is 100% incorrect, it just has to make perfect business sense.

I was also told that Pickups would be supporting British F3/GT in May - excellent news. Hope to see many of you then.

Jeff

pickup
12th January 2008, 00:12
I am surprised that Rockingham are backing a team to be honest. Sometimes you get the impression that they are not interesed in the racing or promoting the motorsport facility. Hopefully they have had a change of heart.
Congrats :up:

Why would you get this impression? Alf Buller likes his motorsport and is a fan and friend of pickuptruck racing, his son graduated from short oval racing into T-cars and showed great promise and is moving on to single seaters this year.
Rockingham is his buisiness why would he not want it to prosper since his takeover things seem to be moving in the right direction, and they have not been the promoters of meetings only the facility providers leaving the promotion to the clubs who pay to use the facility.Maybe as Rockingham becomes more profitable in the future they may well organize their own meetings and run their own promotion and then we can judge how successfull they are at this side of the buisiness.

hicksy
12th January 2008, 17:21
Why would you get this impression? Alf Buller likes his motorsport and is a fan and friend of pickuptruck racing, his son graduated from short oval racing into T-cars and showed great promise and is moving on to single seaters this year.
Rockingham is his buisiness why would he not want it to prosper since his takeover things seem to be moving in the right direction, and they have not been the promoters of meetings only the facility providers leaving the promotion to the clubs who pay to use the facility.Maybe as Rockingham becomes more profitable in the future they may well organize their own meetings and run their own promotion and then we can judge how successfull they are at this side of the buisiness.

Possibly a poor choice of words. I think part of the reason is that they appeared to be heading in a different direction. I always view Rockingham a circuit first and a business second. The reduced calendars due to various restrictions, test facilities, trade shows etc.. Maybe there was just a bigger picture that I wasnt seeing. Yes Rockingham is a business and there is a lot of potential for more than just motorsport within the facility. Dont get me wrong, I love Rockingham and I really hope it continues to grow but I would like to see more racing first.

jeffmr2
13th January 2008, 14:21
Why would you get this impression? Alf Buller likes his motorsport and is a fan and friend of pickuptruck racing.
Rockingham is his buisiness why would he not want it to prosper since his takeover things seem to be moving in the right direction.

I cannot see how the stockcars not running at rockingam this year is a move in the right direction.
Nevertheless it is good to see rockingham putting something back into the sport.

tin-top fan
13th January 2008, 14:33
I am surprised that Rockingham are backing a team to be honest.

BTC racing had some rockingham sponsorship on their cars in the BTCC last year:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f345/ohdude40/DSC01257.jpg

pickup
13th January 2008, 18:39
I cannot see how the stockcars not running at rockingam this year is a move in the right direction.

I'm sure if they could have "gauranteed" good grid numbers and produced the type of racing that we know they are capable of they would have been racing there this year (more often than the one proposed date).
From Rockinghams point of view i can understand them making this decision based on the last couple of years performances but also think they will be keeping a close eye on the stockcars with the idea of bringing them back in the near future (as i previously stated i personally think we need more than one formula on the oval) if the SCSA continues as positively in 2008 as it ended in 2007 they will shortly return.

Gasman#99
13th January 2008, 19:04
May be a representitive of rockingham should come on here with a statement from above saying there reasons for not having the V8's at rockingham and also tell us what the future holds for the V8's to be back where they belong.
As a member of my family says (who has been a member since day 1 i would like to add) "i thought the whole point of the oval being built was for oval racing,not to look pritty for infield racing". :confused:

Abo
13th January 2008, 19:15
May be a representitive of rockingham should come on here with a statement from above saying there reasons for not having the V8's at rockingham and also tell us what the future holds for the V8's to be back where they belong.
As a member of my family says (who has been a member since day 1 i would like to add) "i thought the whole point of the oval being built was for oval racing,not to look pritty for infield racing". :confused:

Why would anyone from Rockingham do that? Rockingham don't run the series... I doubt they refused the V8's access to the track, more likey the V8's couldn't (or wouldn't) pay for the track time.

racing59
13th January 2008, 19:19
Nick Leason (the Lexus BTCC car) does a lot of instructing at Rockingham. He's a local boy too.

It's up to US, the V8 boys and girls, to show that we are worthy of being let back into our home. We have been cast out into the wilderness to learn to stand on our own two feet. In some ways it's kill or cure. We all hope that its the latter.

There are some who would like it to be the former.

The reason for that goes with previous mis-management of the series and the funding, upsetting the MSA by being to arrogant expecting that it is going to go on forever, and that they didn't need the establishment - they could go forth and breed - and Days of Thunder would last until the sun goes out, and the British Government reduces road fuel duty dramatically (or whichever may come first).

Had Champcar not gone bust, the 7 year deal may have been honoured, and the oval may have been more popular, in fact maybe, just maybe, other circuits may have been built.

kjb
13th January 2008, 19:34
the fact still remains that the scsa cars had prospective grid numbers of around 20 to 22 cars looking at the end of the 07 season for 08, since then weve been told that were not at the rock in 08 (even with the grid numbers)until recently it looks like there may be one meeting at the rock! so you tell me!!! road course or oval we will survive!

Duane
14th January 2008, 19:26
oh my fingers are itching here, but i must restrain myself..........

but one thing i will say in response to Abo, IF we had dates offerd to us we WOULD pay, the 18 cars i have on paper are for the Oval, having to seek other alternatives means i will loose some.

Exactly a year ago we had 17 cars on paper then garages, pit stops and track time was removed so we started with 12, if we had had 17 at the start i believe we would of had 20 + by Motofest.

Maybe we should of been spreading our wings before now but having possibly no dates at the Rock will hurt.

I am working on opptions for us and by the end of january we should know where we are.

Thanks for all the supportive messages over Christmas, hope we all have a happy new year!!!!!!

Duane

Abo
14th January 2008, 19:52
oh my fingers are itching here, but i must restrain myself..........

but one thing i will say in response to Abo, IF we had dates offerd to us we WOULD pay, the 18 cars i have on paper are for the Oval, having to seek other alternatives means i will loose some.

All I can say is: 'interesting'...

Dave17
15th January 2008, 15:39
I'm still hopeful that the meetings on June 7th & 8th and July 12th & 13th (when the PuT's are there) will include ASCAR's on the program

Nick Brad
15th January 2008, 16:46
The June meeting having Ascars on track would be an awesome birthday present, (my birthday being the 9th).

racing59
15th January 2008, 19:26
Not happening I'm afraid (unless I win the Euromillions every week until the start of the season, and take CDL a suitcase full of cash!)

July is the very lightly pencilled meeting, and that is subject to a number of conditions......

BUT.... in this world, anything can happen in the next half hour..