PDA

View Full Version : 1 Lakh Car

Rollo
11th January 2008, 07:29
For the grand price of 1 Lakh Rupees (£1277) you can now buy the world's cheapest car, the Tata Nano.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Its_a_car_not_an_apology/articleshow/2690858.cms

At 623cc technically the Nano could qualify as a Kei car in Japan, and producing 34hp it chucks out triple that of Britain's beloved Austin Seven.

My only hope is that the car isn't produced in the millions, because although it will introduce thousands to motoring, it will also bring congestion and possibly increased pollution. Although, if people drop their bigger cars in favour or it, it might be part way to being a world saver.

Am I weird for wanting one though?

jim mcglinchey
11th January 2008, 08:39
Its an ugly little spud but so are most modern cars. Makes you wonder though why, when the floor for new car prices seems to be about £4 1/2 K Tata can suddenly come in at £1277. OK the labours cheap but thats a hell of a difference.

Donney
11th January 2008, 11:30
It makes wondewr what the hell are doing the people at Smart with their ugly over priced pieces of desing.

I would like to have one too, but then I would also like to have another car, which I think is what will happen. People will have one of those Indian mouse cars and won't give up their more proper cars.

Drew
11th January 2008, 15:04
JUST..DON'T...CRASH

:p :

J4MIE
11th January 2008, 18:15
Doesn't seem much of a crumple zone :s Although guess there will be only one way to drive it... avoid braking at all costs :p :

nicemms
11th January 2008, 19:52
My mum said that she could afford one at that price! However I had to tell her that it would never make to the U.K at that price and possibly not ever. Although it meets EU emissions laws I doubt it would meet EU safety regulations!

Malbec
12th January 2008, 15:49
Its an ugly little spud but so are most modern cars. Makes you wonder though why, when the floor for new car prices seems to be about £4 1/2 K Tata can suddenly come in at £1277. OK the labours cheap but thats a hell of a difference.

Back in the 20s or 30s Austin or Ford launched the £100 car in the UK with exactly the same idea as the new Tata, to buy into a new market who couldn't yet afford to buy the cheapest cars available. The problem was that to cut costs all the parts were substandard and the car cost a fortune to maintain. It was a gimmick.

I reckon the Tata is a great car for the Indian market where people don't drive fast even on open roads, my concern is that the Indian roads aren't ready for millions of new cars even if they're as small as this one, and the pollution and congestion they'll cause. Still, India's middle classes were always going to start buying cars, it was always just a question of when.

Brown, Jon Brow
12th January 2008, 16:03
I'd rather go on a bicycle...........

AndyRAC
12th January 2008, 18:44
The reason it's so cheap, simple, it's Rubbish!!!

As for the Smart cars being overpriced; owned by Mercedes, rip off merchants. Both Mercedes and BMW overprice their cars to make them seem better than they are. Look at the new Mini, ridiculously overpriced, compare with the new Fiat 500. I actually liked the Smart BRABUS Roadster Coupe, but the price was a joke. Then they moaned they were losing money and stopped making it. DOH!!!

Malbec
13th January 2008, 00:35
Look at the new Mini, ridiculously overpriced, compare with the new Fiat 500.

And the Fiat 500 is totally overpriced given its a reskinned Panda!

Brown, Jon Brow
13th January 2008, 17:33
And the Fiat 500 is totally overpriced given its a reskinned Panda!

And the Grande Punto is bigger and cheaper.

Daniel
13th January 2008, 19:39
Yes but the Fiat 500 is a nice looking car. The Panda is nice but only in a practical/utilitarian way. The Grande Punto has the problem of it's name which is one of the strong suit of the 500. To be fair all of the small Fiat's are cheap and nice to look at. If I was to buy a small new car it would probably be a Panda.

Brown, Jon Brow
13th January 2008, 19:48
Yes but the Fiat 500 is a nice looking car. The Panda is nice but only in a practical/utilitarian way. The Grande Punto has the problem of it's name which is one of the strong suit of the 500. To be fair all of the small Fiat's are cheap and nice to look at. If I was to buy a small new car it would probably be a Panda.

Is that because you want to be James May? :p

Daniel
13th January 2008, 19:52
I'm more James May than Clarkson or Hammond if that's what you mean :)

AndyRAC
13th January 2008, 22:30
Now I do like the Grande Punto, but I might wait for the Abarth version.

Daniel
13th January 2008, 22:33
Now I do like the Grande Punto, but I might wait for the Abarth version.
It's still just a lukewarm hatch.

You could get a used old shape Impreza for 5 grand and have more fun :)

Stuartf12007
13th January 2008, 23:31
only buy the Tata if you have a death wish.

AndyRAC
13th January 2008, 23:57
It's still just a lukewarm hatch.

You could get a used old shape Impreza for 5 grand and have more fun :)

I have considered that along with a Lancer Evo III / IV. But it's other costs, insurance, petrol, parts, etc
I want something good, quickish, but economical.

Daniel
14th January 2008, 00:15
I have considered that along with a Lancer Evo III / IV. But it's other costs, insurance, petrol, parts, etc
I want something good, quickish, but economical.
Subaru's are Japanese and reliable as anything. Caroline's Legacy Turbo is 14 years old and is only just starting to have little things go wrong like the fuel pump and the steering rack. Insurance for a brand new 13k car with 150 odd horses isn't going to be that cheap either.

Perhaps it's just me but I never quite understand why people buy a lukewarm new car when they could get a hot slightly older car for a lot less. Depreciation is a very big reason why I don't feel I'll ever buy a new car unless I find night on 30k burning a hole in my pocket and there's a Brera in front of me. Now there's something I could see myself owning forever and something I would feel more comfortable having known exactly what's been done to it.

Mark
14th January 2008, 07:38
I was surprised how nice the car looks given the price. 5 doors too :up: