PDA

View Full Version : Bush Predicts Mideast Peace Treaty Before He Leaves White House

Eki
10th January 2008, 21:39
Wasn't he the man who predicted the Iraq war would be over in no time? I wouldn't place any bets:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,321572,00.html

CCFanatic
10th January 2008, 22:12
I do not like how he met with Mahmoud Addas as he is the head of Hamas, which is a recongnized terrorist group within Israel. True the guy is the leader of a so-called nation, but still nations can be run be terrorists.

Rollo
10th January 2008, 22:26
One of Hamas' policies and aims is the destruction of the Israeli state; not just the '67 borders but wholesale destruction of Israel. This conflict in broad terms has been going for 2500 years; to end it in months will be impossible.

CCFanatic
10th January 2008, 22:35
One of Hamas' policies and aims is the destruction of the Israeli state; not just the '67 borders but wholesale destruction of Israel. This conflict in broad terms has been going for 2500 years; to end it in months will be impossible.

IMO, the only way for peace on earth or the middle east is to have all Jews leave Israel, or preferably to the terrorists, off the planet. And to have all supporters of the Jews to also perish off the face of the planet, as the terrorists fight as if you are not with them, you are against them and should die. Then the terrorist would run the world and eventually fight amongst themselves. Peace in the middle east will not end, until all terrorist are rounded up. Whether it be in prison camps, death, or the conversion or finding of religion.

ShiftingGears
10th January 2008, 22:42
Yeah, it'll be "Mission Accomplished" in no time :p :

Hawkmoon
10th January 2008, 22:45
I do not like how he met with Mahmoud Addas as he is the head of Hamas, which is a recongnized terrorist group within Israel. True the guy is the leader of a so-called nation, but still nations can be run be terrorists.

Are you referring to Mahmoud Abbas? He's the leader of Fatah who are the sworn enemies of Hamas. He's also the President of Palestine or the Palestinian Territories or whatever they want to call it.

Hamas are a recognised terrorist organisation, Fatah are not. At least, there not recognised as such.

As for George W.'s prediction of a peace treaty, well it sounds like he's been on the sauce again because it aint gonna happen Dubbya. Not any time soon, sadly.

CCFanatic
10th January 2008, 22:58
I think ever president since Carter had promised a peace treaty and has produced one that lasts a few months and the fighting just starts up again, usually with a suicide bomber in Israel.

Malbec
10th January 2008, 22:59

No he didn't. He met with Mahmoud Abbas who is the head of Fatah, the follow-on to the PLO. Fatah is not regarded as a terrorist group though it isn't the elected representative party of the Palestinians.

G W Bush hasn't met with members of Hamas, neither is he going to although they ARE the elected representative party of the Palestinians.

Problem for Bush is that everyone knows that he has limited time. If either side doesn't like what he proposes, they can simply bide for time safe in the knowledge that his replacement will be more interested in settling into the White House than cavorting around the Middle East straight after being invested.

BTCC Fan#1
11th January 2008, 00:26
Shock and/or horror, I find myself agreeing with Bush. Nice to finally see he's at least saying sane things about Middle East peace.

Sadly I don't believe they can achieve it in the time-frame Bush claims, it's a lot like how Clinton failed to make a breakthrough in 2000. However, perhaps pressure from the the Bush administration can start something the next president can help work towards. It'd be ironic if something Bush helps start eventually leads to Middle East peace considering his record in the region..

leopard
14th January 2008, 10:33
Yeah ... there isn't much time available for those overslept.

anthonyvop
14th January 2008, 16:22
I think ever president since Carter had promised a peace treaty and has produced one that lasts a few months and the fighting just starts up again, usually with a suicide bomber in Israel.
Actyualy the Peace between Israel and Egypt has held together quite well since the 70's
Of course it helps that the 2 largest recipients of US aid is Israel and Egypt. We just bought peace.
Who says money can't buy happiness?

Rani
14th January 2008, 19:51
Actyualy the Peace between Israel and Egypt has held together quite well since the 70's
Of course it helps that the 2 largest recipients of US aid is Israel and Egypt. We just bought peace.
Who says money can't buy happiness?
That's a bit simplistic wouldn't you say?
You make it seem as though countries want peace out of greed. Granted money is very important but it's not what that peace treaty was about. It had more to do with the consequences of The Yom Kippur war than anything else IMHO.
Actually, there is peace between Israel and Jordan (I can't wait for April) as well.

Roamy
15th January 2008, 03:41
the middle east is doomed to war. the problem is that we need to get the **** out of there and let them go. There has to be a alternative to oil. so the sooner we get after it the better. With the money we have spent on that sh!t region we could have drilled a diagonal shaft from Texas to Saudi and pumped till our heart was content. But the fact is that oil won't last forever. The euro's support nukes for everyone so I say lets power the cars with the sh!t and move on until we just "Glow Away" Now that Russia is the new arms broker to the world I think we could get some really good wars going if we just sat on the sidelines.

anthonyvop
15th January 2008, 18:04
That's a bit simplistic wouldn't you say?
You make it seem as though countries want peace out of greed. Granted money is very important but it's not what that peace treaty was about. It had more to do with the consequences of The Yom Kippur war than anything else IMHO.
Actually, there is peace between Israel and Jordan (I can't wait for April) as well.
Jordan is a major recipient of US aid as well.

15th January 2008, 18:35
I'm reminded of the conflict in the Former Yugoslavia in the early 90's.

David Owen announced he had a Peace Treaty deal.

The only problem was that no one actually fighting would sign it.

SOD
15th January 2008, 18:56
the middle east is doomed to war. the problem is that we need to get the **** out of there and let them go. There has to be a alternative to oil. so the sooner we get after it the better. With the money we have spent on that sh!t region we could have drilled a diagonal shaft from Texas to Saudi and pumped till our heart was content. But the fact is that oil won't last forever. The euro's support nukes for everyone so I say lets power the cars with the sh!t and move on until we just "Glow Away" Now that Russia is the new arms broker to the world I think we could get some really good wars going if we just sat on the sidelines.

just hogwash, I'm sure you intended this post to be hogash.

30 years ago, anyone with your attitude would be labelled a tree hugger. Very little was done to stop nuclear prolifeation, the current attempt to stop Iran getting nuclear capabilities is a sham. Keep electing one-trick oil-merchants if you want things to improve :)