PDA

View Full Version : WRC 2006 who was hot and who was not

DonJippo
6th December 2006, 00:03
Season is over so time to give ratings to those who deserves it....on the scale of 4-10 where 10 is best;

Loeb 9, do I need to explain?
Marcus 8.5, too many mistakes...two...but it's more than Seb had
Mikko 7.5 still learning slowly but surely
Manfred 7.5 better than I expected
Henning 6.5 better than Petter but wasn't he supposed to beat Manfred?
Petter 6+ Subaru & Pirelli did you expect more?
Dani 6 ace on tarmac, where's the pace on gravel?
Xavi 6 I'm sure he hopes the season would have started after Seb's injure
Atko 5+ too many stupid mistakes and still Subaru signed him for 2007?
Rovis 5, should have stayed home, but then again he was paid to drive so why not?
Andreas 5 still learning, good in Germany
Matthew 5- has own thread don't need to comment
LP Companc 4.5 everyone is entitled to do what they want with their own money

Bjorn240
6th December 2006, 07:35
Excellent. I would have preferred a scale of 1-6, but 4-10 will do. :)

WRC1
6th December 2006, 09:28
Nice idea Don Jippo!

Loeb: 9,5 (he made only 1 mistake this year and that happend in his private life)

Grönholm: 9 (only two mistakes but they decided, but on gravel speedwise the man to beat also for Loeb)

Hirvonen: 8 (he needed a bit time in the first half of the year, but in the last races he showed biig improvements!!)

Stohl: 8 (maybe i am based, but for me the surprise of the year! everybody said the 307wrc is impossible to drive......manfred showed relaiability AND speed with this 2 years old car! for me just amazing!)

Sordo: 6,5 (was very impressive while he was the 3rd driver, especially on tarmac!! but since japan he was not the same anymore, hope he can handle the pressure next year....)

Solberg P.: 7,5 (very difficult to judge....ok there where the problems with the car and tires and so on, but isn`t it a part of the job of a world champion to fix this problems....within his team?? but he still had the speed)

Solberg H.: 6 (for me it was a bit surprising that he did`t manage to show more against his teammate! too many mistakes!)

Pons: 5,5 (ups and downs, silly mistakes in the middle of the year, but in the end he outpaced sordo and become a good points deliverer for his team)

Attkinson: 5 (huuuuu soo many mistakes and only a few good performances...very lucky that he could keep his seat at subaru)

Rovanpera: 4,5 (showed nothing special, was sometimes outpaced by his "greenhorn" teammate")

Aigner: 5 (he has shown great potential, he was faster than wilson in every race until somebody caught problems and he drove skoda...against focus. and his first ever race with wrc was monte 2006, wilson had a year in british championship before this year)

Wilson: 4 (dissampointment. ok he is there, one more nice car to watch nothing more and nothing less...what is also positive he take nobodys seat away)

Companc: 4,5 (he is a gentleman driver and he drove like a gentleman..)

Kopecky: 5,5 (very good performance on tarmac, especially in spain, but still has much to learn on gravel!)

Duval: 6 (was almost always the fastest skoda and showed good speed)

regards

wrc1

pino
6th December 2006, 09:55
Loeb : 10 Do I need to explain ?

Marcus : 9 Maybe too many mistakes, but considering his age, I can live with that ! The Finn with most WRC wins now, he's a legend !

Mikko : 8 He has matured a lot, the future is his.

Manfred : 9 The greatest surprise of the year !

Henning : 6.5 Bad luck but many mistakes as well.

Petter : 6 A very disappointed season, was the car, the tyres or himself ?

Dani : 6 He only impressed me on tarmac, has still a lot to learn.

Xavi :5 The biggest disappointment...considering the car he had.

Atko : 5 Another poor season for him...

Gigi : 7 First podium in Argentina, a 4 th pos in Sweden, a great 5 pos in Finland, and just a single mistake in Monte Carlo . He's still one of the faster driver outhere hence my vote. Ok please don't shout me now :p

Finni
6th December 2006, 09:57
Nice idea Don Jippo!
Loeb: 9,5 (he made only 1 mistake this year and that happend in his private life)

U have already forgot Monte?

WRC1
6th December 2006, 10:16
U have already forgot Monte?

uuuups!!

you are right here, i complete forgot this, but with his brilliant performance on days 2 and 3 he made this mistake almost to forget.....

regards
wrc1

Simmi
6th December 2006, 10:45
People who have stood out for me this season are Hirvonen and Sordo, purely because both have stepped up, with Hirvonen becoming the consistent reason why Ford won the manu title, and Sordo learning very quickly and winning his seat for next season for his results.

I have a feeling Sordo will feel the pressure more than Mikko next season.

In terms of someone who looks promising for the future who I hadn't heard of this time last year, then I'd say maybe Hanninen has speed. The two young guns Aigner and Wilson haven't set the world alight.

I wonder what Aigner would do in a Focus 06?

aivan
6th December 2006, 11:54
I have to agree with most of the stated here.

For me the couple that stood out are Mikko and Dani too.

Mikko is almost there and the future is his, no doubt about it. :up:
Dani, well... he impressed us in the first half of the season and I think he was victim of his own hype in the second half. We have to remember that it's still his first season in WRC and that he's young. Let's see how he unfolds.

@Simmi... for sure Sordo will feel the preassure far more than Mikko, no doubt.

Stohl wa also a VERY good surprise

Niels H
6th December 2006, 12:10
Don't think Sordo was that good, clearly not at the level of Hirvonen.

teufel
6th December 2006, 12:28
It has no sense to compare Mikko's and Dani's performance this year, but if we do so, then please don't forget Mikko's first full season in 2003. Mikko had his 3rd full season in a wrc car, while Dani drove it first at this year's Monte.

btw, the biggest surprise of the season for me is Stohl, to bring the whale (a car that doesn't really shined in his factory years) at 4th place and showing pace and reliability at once!

COD
6th December 2006, 13:12
Stohl was probably the most positive surprise of the season, shows what a full season does to a driver. Also Pons upped his performance at the end of the season and matched wonderboy Sordo and that should not be forgotten. Also note Gardes brilliant performances on every round he did. Mikko should have been closer to Grönholm, for him I think next season will be "do or die".

Also positive was Peugeot overall. Stohl really sidelined Henning. Next year Henning will surely want a worst teammate, othervise he will look really bad..

Brother John
6th December 2006, 13:23
I am no deviner whom can look in the future! :laugh:

N.O.T
6th December 2006, 13:43
Overall it was an ok year....it started good but ended in a dull way...

Loeb - 10....no explaining really he outclassed marcus on Tarmac by a mile and he also managed to be faster than him gravel.

Gronholm - 9 Very close on Loeb and the focus helped him to be competitive on tarmac this year

Hirvonen - 7 Showed great adaptation to the requirements of a top team and also showed that he is developing fast

Sordo - 7 winning pace on tarmac..still to work on gravel

Stohl - 5 the best of the rest

The best rally of the season for me was Japan....where Loeb gave a rally driving lesson.

I didn't like Cyprus, Acropolis and Turkey.

The subaru team was a dissapointment also...they were both ureliable and uncompetitive.

I was happy for ford finally winning the title after all these years of dedication to the sport....

I didn't like the Sponsor bike boy superstar antics...but i enjoyed seeing him being ridiculed in a true mans sport.

I didn't like the gap in the speed between Loeb-Gronholm and the others....it shows the sport need to focus more on bringing drivers with talent than drivers with sponsors....but that was an issue before this year as well.

Tom206wrc
6th December 2006, 15:38
Also positive was Peugeot overall. Stohl really sidelined Henning. Next year Henning will surely want a worst teammate, othervise he will look really bad..

Don't forget to mention Gigi Galli(especially in Argentina and Finland), Toni gardemeister(in Monte-Carlo), and Alexandre Bengué(especially in Spain) in your "privateer whales" chapter !!! :D

A.F.F.
6th December 2006, 15:57
Sebastien Loeb: 9,5 because I'm going to reward anyone with 10

Marcus Grönholm: 8,5 what can you say? Made a record nobody is interested. Really fast through out the year but those frigging mistakes

Mikko Hirvonen: 8 LOL. And this forum was ready to bury him a little over year ago. Jeez...

Wonderboy Sordo: 7 I dunno what heck happened. Seemed like a Loeb-copy but after Finland lost his self confidence. Anyways, it'll be interesting to see him next year. I bet he is going to be fast and most likely will score his maiden win on tarmac. :up:

Xavier Pons: 7 I was ready to bury him but when Sordo sunk, Pons rised up like a Feenix. Well, not like a Feenix but was surprisingly fast and pretty consistent, I mean, compering to his team mate Sordo.

Petter Solberg: 7 Did what he could. Fell in to easy mistakes but only because tried so hard. I feel sorry for him because even Grönholm never faced that much bad luck and poor machinery. I really hope Petter is right up there on the top where he belongs next year. :up:

Chris Atkinson: 6,5 Not a mark of his Young Gun-membership. Fast at moments but I for instance NEVER put him to my pickems and didn't lose much with that gamble. That ought to tell something

Mandfred Stohl: 8 Very positive, especially towards the end of the season. He seem a very nice guy too. Remind me a much of Gardemeister. Too bad either one of them isn't a winning guy.

Henning Solberg: 7,5 When I saw Henning live in Finland pushing that 307 he became a hero of mine :up: Most of the score I gave him is because of his positive attitude. I like the guy. :)

Harri Rovanperä: 4 I know RBSkoda sucked. Everybody knows that but I can't help but thinking Harri didn't eve try much :mark: Disappointed.

Franqois Duval: 7 Best of Skoda drivers. I feel he still has a future in WRC.

Andreas Aigner: 5 Was better than Harri and think about how much less experience he has. Not sure he'll ever became a rally driver thou...

Matthew Wilson: 4 Well, this young lad got at least experience. But what do you expect. His daddy was never a winning guy either. I don't mind him rallying thou, because I also feel he provides important team seats for others.

Wim_Impreza
6th December 2006, 17:42
Sébastien Loeb: 9,5 - 8 wins and 4 second places in 12 rallies, it says enough

Marcus Grönholm: 9 - 7 wins with a new car is great, he made some mistakes but it was overall a good year for him.

Toni Gardemeister: 8,5 - Excellent performance in Monte-Carlo with 307 and then again very good with a 2002 Xsara

Manfred Stohl: 8 - Very good year for him, he finished all the rallies at that in a 307. He is also a very nice guy.

Gianluigi Galli: 8 - Good times in Monte-Carlo and a good fight with Carlsson in Sweden with Mitsubishi Lancer WRC, he was especially very strong in Argentina and Finland with 307

Mikko Hirvonen: 8 - Not a good start of the year for him, but in the second part of the season, he made strong results. In the last 10 rallies, he made 8 podium places.

Daniel Sordo: 7 - Good begin of the season with points in his first World Rally Car drive and 4th in Mexico. He was the best opponent for Loeb at tarmac. After his crash in Finland, he made that stupid mistake in Cyprus by the round about.

Henning Solberg: 7 - He has to much ups and downs. His speed in Sweden was very disappointed and he made to much mistakes. His drive in Finland and his first 3th place were highlights.

François Duval: 7 - He made some interesting times and in the end of the season, he made not so much mistakes. Good speed and only 26 years, he can again improve in the future.

Jan Kopecký: 7 - He made 3 best stage times and has much more experience than a year ago. I hope he can set next year again good times. I support this guy.

Alexandre Bengué: 7 - Good in tarmac rallies.

Jari-Matti Latvala: 7- Very much mistakes in the begin of the season. In the last 3 rallies, he really shows his talent. Great 4th place in Wales.

Daniel Carlsson: 7 – He had a great fight with Galli in Sweden, but his performance in Finland was not that good.

Petter Solberg: 6,5 - Terrible car and Solberg self wasn't so good this season. He made a couple of mistakes. Very disappointing season for him and Subaru.

Xavier Pons: 6,5 - Bad in the begin of the season, but in the end he had the speed and made in the last 4 rallies a top-5 finish.

Jussi Välimäki: 6,5 – Good performance for him this year.

Kosti Katajamäki: 6 - He did it very well in Turkey, but his pace in Sweden was a bit disappointed.

Andreas Aigner: 6 – I remember his excellent result in Germany and some good times in Turkey. He has the talent and was quicker than Rovanperä.

Gilles Panizzi: 6 – 4th after day 1 in Monte-Carlo was good, but than...

Kristian Sohlberg: 6 – He shows some good times in a ‘old’ Impreza WRC.

Luís Pérez-Companc: 6 – He has done a good job for a gentlemen-driver. Mostly quicker than Matthew Wilson too.

Stéphane Sarrazin: 5 - Disappointed season for him with to much mistakes.

Gareth MacHale: 5 – He was lucky with his 3 points in Mexico, only his second WRC event ever.

Janne Tuohino: 4 – I expected more from him in Sweden and Finland with a Xsara WRC.

Matthew Wilson: 4 – It was a disaster.

Roy
6th December 2006, 17:54
Hot:
Loeb. Champion without drive the last rally's
Focus. First Year very quick.

Not:
Subaru. 2005 was a worst car. This year again. No, worser.

Suprise:
Stohl. Finshed good.
Aigner. Was growing!

Doubt:
Henning Solberg. How many crashes?
Wilson. He is young. I give him some years.

I look forward to 2007.
Many Ford teams :bounce:
Fight between Citroen and (many) Ford drivers.

J4MIE
6th December 2006, 20:14
The most impressive part of the season for me was Loeb coming back in Monte. Awesome!!

Otherwise I agree with the averages. They are about right, everyone knows how they performed overall. :)

jens
6th December 2006, 22:40
P. Solberg's season was a disaster, but I think that in driving ability he should be able to match Loeb and Grönholm, although due to an unsuccessful season you are rating him clearly lower.

After them I would name Gardemeister, Galli (both really shone, when they got a chance), Sordo (rookie of the year), Stohl and Hirvonen (in terms of speed probably not the best ones, but ibid pretty consistent and bring their cars to finish) and also I won't rule out Atkinson (same stuff as Solberg).

Latvala has progressed at the end of the season, the same about Pons. Duval - drove too little to give an accurate opinion. H. Solberg - had his moments as well, but generally a bit weaker than Stohl.

Don't know, how to rate the rookies like Aigner and Wilson. Maybe next year gives us a better answer.

As the cars were very unequal this season, then it is really tough to rate anyone's level accurately.

Luckin
6th December 2006, 22:56
+ Loeb vs. Gronholm - nice battles, usually very tight (remember Japan)
+ OMV Peugeot Norway - reliable cars, good drivers
+ Eye in the Sky - makes even boring rally pretty good experience

- Subaru - lot of work during Christmas maybe?
- wrc.com - ridiculous (despite being slightly better than last year)
- too few WRC cars on most events

aivan
7th December 2006, 07:45
It has no sense to compare Mikko's and Dani's performance this year, but if we do so, then please don't forget Mikko's first full season in 2003. Mikko had his 3rd full season in a wrc car, while Dani drove it first at this year's Monte.

:up: Agree 100%

Can't wait for next year's battles between those two