PDA

View Full Version : Michael Schumacher Is Ferrari's Third Driver ?

CNR
9th January 2008, 13:06
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=74649

Ferrari president Montezemolo described retired seven time world champion Schumacher as the team's "terzo pilota" -- 'third driver' in English

Rollo
9th January 2008, 14:00
The only surprise here is that anyone is surprised. If he's on good terms with management and can provide useful feedback to the technical engineers then there's scarcely a problem is there?

Garry Walker
9th January 2008, 14:18
wow :D

9th January 2008, 14:24
Just out of interest, does that mean that Schumi still has a current super-licence?

Presumably, he would need one to be considered as a 'substitute' driver if one of the race drivers were injured in GP practice and he was called in to cover.

If he hasn't got a current super-licence, then he is 'merely' (word used with a bit of trepidation considering who it is I'm talking about!) a test driver.

My guess is that even someone like Schumi couldn't just fill in a form on the Saturday morning of a GP and get the licence there and then.

SGWilko
9th January 2008, 17:50
Just out of interest, does that mean that Schumi still has a current super-licence?

Presumably, he would need one to be considered as a 'substitute' driver if one of the race drivers were injured in GP practice and he was called in to cover.

If he hasn't got a current super-licence, then he is 'merely' (word used with a bit of trepidation considering who it is I'm talking about!) a test driver.

My guess is that even someone like Schumi couldn't just fill in a form on the Saturday morning of a GP and get the licence there and then.

Is it only actual competition that requires a superlicense then, testing does not require it?

9th January 2008, 17:57
Is it only actual competition that requires a superlicense then, testing does not require it?

Testing does not fall under the Super-licence remit. Testing, as far as I know, is not regulated by the FIA except for the limitation on the number of days per year a team can test.

Kimi Raikkonen only applied for his super-licence, which was granted with a performance proviso, after he had tested for Sauber in 2001.

More recently, Marco Andretti tested the Honda without a Super-licence.

SGWilko
9th January 2008, 17:59
Testing does not fall under the Super-licence remit. Testing, as far as I know, is not regulated by the FIA except for the limitation on the number of days per year a team can test.

Kimi Raikkonen only applied for his super-licence, which was granted with a performance proviso, after he had tested for Sauber in 2001.

More recently, Marco Andretti tested the Honda without a Super-licence.

TVM. :)

Osella
9th January 2008, 20:19
One of the requirements of the superlicence is that the driver has to compete a certain number of km's in testing, so it's a bit hard to say they need a licence in order to test! ;)
But I would imagine that validating an existing licence for racing is not going to be a problem, after all Williams managed it for Nigel Mansell pretty easily in '94..

LeonBrooke
9th January 2008, 20:35
You also need a current contract with a team. If Markus Winkelhock could get a licence after half a day's testing the MSC could get one without trouble.

...so long as he had the current contract.

Osella
9th January 2008, 20:38
I don't think that is a problem ;) And you don't need a contract, but you do have to be enterered by the team by 4pm (I believe) on the Thursday before a GP weekend.

LeonBrooke
9th January 2008, 20:44
It's in the rules - you will not be issued a superlicence if you do not have a current contract with a racing team, be it testing or racing. This was a problem for Giedo van der Garde when Spyker and Super Aguri were arguing over him - he couldn't get a superlicence until the FIA knew who he was currently contracted to.

wmcot
9th January 2008, 20:44
Together with Ferrari's other test drivers, they should have the best technical feedback of any team.

CNR
9th January 2008, 21:45
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/09012008/23/schumacher-turned-ferrari-role.html

Michael Schumacher apparently rejected the opportunity to become Ferrari's new sporting director when the Scuderia reshuffled its technical team at the end of 2007, according to Jean Todt.

ioan
9th January 2008, 23:08
Yep there was an article with an interview with Jean Todt about this matter on autosport.com a few days ago.
It seems that MS was the one Todt wanted to be his successor.

Valve Bounce
10th January 2008, 01:03

I would guess that if SchM were to be called on to drive, a/the super licence would not be an issue. He would only have to send Max and Bernie a text message, and they would reply granting him a licence on the spot.

And why not - gazillions are involved in TV rights/ratings.

Valve Bounce
10th January 2008, 01:06
It's in the rules - you will not be issued a superlicence if you do not have a current contract with a racing team, be it testing or racing. This was a problem for Giedo van der Garde when Spyker and Super Aguri were arguing over him - he couldn't get a superlicence until the FIA knew who he was currently contracted to.

And how long do you think it would take to write a contract on a piece of paper and for SchM to sign it? Like 5 minutes!! Besides, SchM IS testing, is he not?

LeonBrooke
10th January 2008, 05:22
Exactly. It'd be easy for MSC to come back to F1 race weekends as a driver - the question is, would he want to and under what circumstances would it happen?

ShiftingGears
10th January 2008, 06:23
Exactly. It'd be easy for MSC to come back to F1 race weekends as a driver - the question is, would he want to and under what circumstances would it happen?

Nothing he has said even hints that he is even considering racing in F1 again - he's content testing.

Valve Bounce
10th January 2008, 09:28

When Massa suffers from an ingrown toenail.

ArrowsFA1
10th January 2008, 09:44
Nothing he has said even hints that he is even considering racing in F1 again - he's content testing.
Until the opportunity arises just to race one more time...just once...just to see... :p :

SGWilko
10th January 2008, 10:19
Until the opportunity arises just to race one more time...just once...just to see... :p :

You are either going to retire at your peak - full stop, or you retire, have second thoughts and come back in and (potentially) make a tit of yourself.

You will be respected for sticking to your guns, but you'll come across as weak if you are indecisive.......

Valve Bounce
10th January 2008, 12:12
You are either going to retire at your peak - full stop, or you retire, have second thoughts and come back in and (potentially) make a tit of yourself.

You will be respected for sticking to your guns, but you'll come across as weak if you are indecisive.......

The way this guy is going, if he did come in for a race, I will bet my sig he makes the front row and finish on the podium.

samuratt
10th January 2008, 14:09
The way this guy is going, if he did come in for a race, I will bet my sig he makes the front row and finish on the podium.

You mean as long as he drives a Ferrari, don't you?? I would not bet my sign if he's driving a Super Aguri :)

markabilly
10th January 2008, 14:25

TRUE

TRUE

You mean as long as he drives a Ferrari, don't you?? I would not bet my sign if he's driving a Super Aguri :)
TRUE

TRUE

See how nice it is when everyone is right.................. :D

Tazio
11th January 2008, 17:15
Well It is officially defined now.
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41589
How far up the Ferrari Chain of command will Mike want, earn, or be offered to go?
Or, will he be kept around so LD can use his name as part of the Ferrari "logo"

SGWilko
11th January 2008, 17:24
Well It is officially defined now.
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41589
How far up the Ferrari Chain of command will Mike want, earn, or be offered to go?
Or, will he be kept around so LD can use his name as part of the Ferrari "logo"

Ooooohhhh, a 'Super Assistant', does this mean he now has 5 stars on his name badge....... ;) :laugh:

janneppi
11th January 2008, 20:55
With the current testing limits, MS won't get much track time with the new car.
Basically he get's to drive only if Kimi or Massa have better things to do. At least that's what Kimi has said.

jas123f1
12th January 2008, 15:15
With the current testing limits, MS won't get much track time with the new car.
Basically he get's to drive only if Kimi or Massa have better things to do. At least that's what Kimi has said.

When speaking of how much testing time Schumacher can have I’m not that sure if his driving style fits that well with Kimis, so maybe therefore Kimi is not very interesting to give away his testing time to Schumi at all.
While Massa and Schumi have been working together many years and Massa likes the same type of car settings as Schumi so it may be that Massa is more positive to give up a couple of his testing days to Schumacher. ;)

Tazio
14th January 2008, 13:22
The only surprise here is that anyone is surprised. If he's on good terms with management and can provide useful feedback to the technical engineers then there's scarcely a problem is there?
That's too logical.
You must always consider the tabloid aspect's of that which is F-1

Rover V8
15th January 2008, 23:20
There's an interesting rumour doing the rounds on a couple of other forums- that Michael might just have a bit of sportscar racing in mind- apparently, there's some suggestion doing the rounds that he might turn up in a GT2 Ferrari 430 at the Sebring 12 hours....

The rumour seems to have started from a conversation with a sportscar driver at the recent Autosport International show, but like everyone on the forums, sportscar racing news site Dailysportscar.com had been regarding it as a joke, until....

'But now a very (very) good source says that it will happen. If it is being planned now, well, things can change… so we wouldn’t bet a fortune on it happening.. but would willingly put a modest wager on Michael racing at Sebring'.

Hmmm....

gloomyDAY
15th January 2008, 23:44
There's an interesting rumour doing the rounds on a couple of other forums- that Michael might just have a bit of sportscar racing in mind- apparently, there's some suggestion doing the rounds that he might turn up in a GT2 Ferrari 430 at the Sebring 12 hours....

The rumour seems to have started from a conversation with a sportscar driver at the recent Autosport International show, but like everyone on the forums, sportscar racing news site Dailysportscar.com had been regarding it as a joke, until....

'But now a very (very) good source says that it will happen. If it is being planned now, well, things can change… so we wouldn’t bet a fortune on it happening.. but would willingly put a modest wager on Michael racing at Sebring'.

Hmmm....This post reminds me of my favorite quote from "Saving Private Ryan."

Private Jackson: Hey, Upham, careful you don't step in the bull****!

wmcot
16th January 2008, 07:57

Hmmm....

I like MS, but I also like ALMS. I imagine that if MS should drive at Sebring, there would be more than a couple of drivers willing to put him in his place. I wonder how he'd feel with the Audi R10's and Porshce Spyder's blowing his doors off?

Tazio
1st March 2008, 21:06
Nothing he has said even hints that he is even considering racing in F1 again
It's is certainly a luxury to have Mike loose in the "Bullpen"
Only Ferrari, and a certain controversial Anglo/German team
know his intentions! ;)

woody2goody
7th March 2008, 03:20
It would be fun if he only did one race, jst to see him compete with Raikkonen, Hamilton and Alonso would be great.

woody2goody
7th March 2008, 03:21
Sorry for the double post, but there is a thread saying he may do a one-off MotoGP this season. Now, that would be exciting ladies and gents.

mstillhere
7th March 2008, 04:09
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=74649

Oh no....I feel like fainting......I don't dare even thinking for a moment.....
where is my svhpenaur book? Hum...Oh yeah!! Here it is......... :)

Nurburgring
7th March 2008, 05:04
Just out of curiosity how does one get a super-liscense. I mean where do you go to get it and what do you have to do. Can anyone tell me that?

Ranger
7th March 2008, 09:10
Just out of curiosity how does one get a super-liscense. I mean where do you go to get it and what do you have to do. Can anyone tell me that?

Have a good, rather lengthy CV to send to the FIA, I suppose. Kinda like any other job application.

Kimi Raikkonen had a problem getting one as he had done less than 50 car races before his maiden GP start, for example.

Dzeidzei
9th March 2008, 21:43
Have a good, rather lengthy CV to send to the FIA, I suppose. Kinda like any other job application.

Kimi Raikkonen had a problem getting one as he had done less than 50 car races before his maiden GP start, for example.

Kimi is a different story altogether. He had 23 formula races under his belt and only in F3. He became the only driver so far -and for ever Id say- to jump from F3 directly to F1. So no F3000, no GP2, no nothing in between.

Its a nice story anyway. Kimi´s manager (Robertson) talked Peter Sauber into giving Kimi a test day at Mugello and he was instantly faster than Robert Diniz (the Sauber driver at the time) and only 0.7 secs off Michael Schumacher´s lap times.

Kimi and his manager didnt pay for the test. According to one story every lap on that Sauber cost 5K dollars, so it cost Peter Sauber some 300K dollars to see this guy from F3 drive a few laps on his car.

Sauber must be crazy.

LeonBrooke
10th March 2008, 06:24
Kimi is a different story altogether. He had 23 formula races under his belt and only in F3. He became the only driver so far -and for ever Id say- to jump from F3 directly to F1. So no F3000, no GP2, no nothing in between.

Its a nice story anyway. Kimi´s manager (Robertson) talked Peter Sauber into giving Kimi a test day at Mugello and he was instantly faster than Robert Diniz (the Sauber driver at the time) and only 0.7 secs off Michael Schumacher´s lap times.

Kimi and his manager didnt pay for the test. According to one story every lap on that Sauber cost 5K dollars, so it cost Peter Sauber some 300K dollars to see this guy from F3 drive a few laps on his car.

Sauber must be crazy.

Not quite. Kimi was in Formula Renault. He never did F3. Plenty of drivers have jumped from F3 to F1 - including Jenson Button and Adrian Sutil.

Dzeidzei
10th March 2008, 08:30
Not quite. Kimi was in Formula Renault. He never did F3. Plenty of drivers have jumped from F3 to F1 - including Jenson Button and Adrian Sutil.

Sorry, meant to say that. The point still holds, I guess.

:)

DimitraF1
11th March 2008, 22:48
f3 is one step behind f1? or gp2 is?

aryan
13th March 2008, 08:31
f3 is one step behind f1? or gp2 is?

In most European Countries, the order is:

Formula Ford -> Formula Renault -> Formula 3 -> GP2 -> F1.

Formula Ford and Formula Renault are not considered professional sport, and Formula Renault is mostly European while Formula Ford is available in most countries.