PDA

View Full Version : Who will be Champion this year ?

pino
9th January 2008, 09:34
Will Sebastien Loeb easily win or other drivers have a chance to beat him ?

Donney
9th January 2008, 09:38
I'm afraid it'll be Loeb again. But I expect a tough challenge from Ford and at least one wim from Sordo and another from Subaru.

bluuford
9th January 2008, 09:52
I think that new tire changes quite a lot and those who like sideways driving will benefit. I voted Latvala :-) Like it has been said before. If you haven't won your title on your third or fourth year then forget it!

pino
9th January 2008, 09:53
Latvala already 2 votes ? can you Guys explain that please... ;)

WRC1
9th January 2008, 09:54
over the whole season i see nobody who really can challenge sebastian, but i hope mikko can beat him in sweden, finland new zealand, japan and gb
and i also hope that gigi and jari matti may win theire first rallyes this year.

i can not imagine that subaru will be able to score wins in this year but i wish them the best to proove me wrong!

regards

wrc1

pino
9th January 2008, 09:54
btw I am the one who voted for Gigi :p :

AndyRAC
9th January 2008, 10:02
The Champion will be the driver with the most points.........

....probably Loeb!!

janneppi
9th January 2008, 10:06
Most likely it's Loeb, but sure hope not. ;)

MrJan
9th January 2008, 10:22
I was going to vote for me but for some reason I'm not on the poll (someone ought to get that sorted :D )

Anyways how could I not go for Loeb? Mikko might be strong but I really can't see anyone else challenging unless a miracle prevails and the Scooby isn't a turkey.

leno
9th January 2008, 11:14
I vote for P.Solberg, more wish than prediction

urabus-denoS2000
9th January 2008, 11:19
I voted for Loeb.I was realistic.But I wish it will ba Gigi

Magnus
9th January 2008, 11:45
It is a waste of space to have this poll. Will Loeb win? Does Dolly parton sleep on her back? Do elks make love in the woods? Is the film "Loose change" a deliberate misunderstanding of facts?
;)

MikeD
9th January 2008, 12:05
Looking at the votes here it shows that once again people are voting for who they "hope" will win the WDC rather than who they "think" will win the WDC.

Personally I think that on paper Loeb is the massive favorite (surprise!) but at the same time I have a feeling that Citroen will be the team that will have most difficulties adapting to Pirelli, so maybe that will benefit Ford.

Tom206wrc
9th January 2008, 12:17
I go for Sébastien Loeb :p :

turves
9th January 2008, 12:26
Where is Wilson... :crazy:

koko0703
9th January 2008, 12:54
Realistically Loeb must be the favorite to retain his title but I voted for Petter. I just like to dream as much as possible before Monte. This short dream may be the only pleasure for Subaru fan afterall.

jonkka
9th January 2008, 13:09
Looking at the votes here it shows that once again people are voting for who they "hope" will win the WDC rather than who they "think" will win the WDC.

Personally I think that on paper Loeb is the massive favorite (surprise!) but at the same time I have a feeling that Citroen will be the team that will have most difficulties adapting to Pirelli, so maybe that will benefit Ford.

Yes. There are so many variables that predicting is difficult.

A year ago C4 WRC was unproven car and theoretically that could have been the Citroen's Achilles Heel. Now it is baptised by fire and looks like a worthy successor to Xsara.

Change of tyre rules, both the switch from BFG to Pirelli and the loss of mousse, will have an effect but to a what degree? Ford and Subaru have both worked with Pirelli, will that be an advantage for them? Which driver will adapt to mousseless tyres better/faster and how decisive role will punctures play?

Norway and Ireland are gone and Jordan is in, there is one event less than previously, snow and tarmac play smaller role than previously. Both Mikko and Seb lose one preferred surface rally (one snow and one tarmac less) so it should be pretty even change.

Tightened mechanical rules should not have an impact, reliability is so good these days.

Ford's management continues as before, Citroen has new top brass (Vaucard retired long ago, Frequelin at the end of year and now they have new team manager as well) which might or might not have an effect.

All in all, quite a lot of chances from before. Like you say, on paper Loeb and Citroen look very strong but... I remember how just about everyone predicted that McRae would ride on high to 1996 after winning his first title. Mikko quite isn't the man who sets me fire and Latvala - who is such a man - is still relatively inexperienced. Sensible vote would go for Seb but a bit more daring one could vote JML as well.

Priorat
9th January 2008, 13:40
I voted for Latvala because he showed a lot of speed on all surfaces, with a year old car and without testing and because it is too easy to say Loeb will win it.

Magnus
9th January 2008, 14:44
Hmm... with people writing abt that Loeb might have a struggle for his fifth title I am almost tempetd to put him as my fav.driver.
Go go go Loeb!!!
Or maybe not

Micke_VOC
9th January 2008, 14:47
I think Loeb win but wish that hirvonen wins.

Roy
9th January 2008, 15:23
I think Loeb win but wish that hirvonen wins.

Amen

J4MIE
9th January 2008, 16:17
Unless Hirvonen can step up another level without making mistakes then I am sure Seb will walk away with it once more...

Though I do hope for some excitement like this year, and Seb still won it!!

Brother John
9th January 2008, 16:59

Is that not the intention of a poll??? :s mokin:

pantealex
9th January 2008, 17:58
I vote Loeb
I hope somebody else...

Langdale Forest
9th January 2008, 19:16
I think Loeb will be champion for the record 5 time. :champion:

Daniel
9th January 2008, 22:50
Sebastien of course.

Simmi
9th January 2008, 23:14
Let Loeb get his record 5th title, a win in GB and he's done pretty much all that there is to do in rallying. Maybe he will move on and we can have a title race in 2009.

GC8Subaru
9th January 2008, 23:52
I vote for P.Solberg, more wish than prediction

Same here :) hopefully the new car will bring them better fortune this year.... only can cross my fingers. Might even stab at Chris that's if he keeps the car on the brown staff & less green :D

Looking forward to a interesting year especailly with the new tyre rules.

Tom206wrc
10th January 2008, 08:37
Those who vote Garde you're full dreaming, I'm sure the Suzuki isn't a winner car :laugh:

Leon
10th January 2008, 08:56
My brain says Loeb, my heart anyone but Loeb.

I voted for Loeb, but I hope for a 2003 repeat where Marcus thought uncatchable after he conquered 2002 WRC but he was beaten.

Fischer
10th January 2008, 09:46
Gardemeister

White Sauron
10th January 2008, 09:58
I'm disappointed there's no Matthew Wilson on the list... I'd vote for him :D

tmx
10th January 2008, 09:58
^ lol.

I voted for Latvala because he showed a lot of speed on all surfaces, with a year old car and without testing and because it is too easy to say Loeb will win it.

I still think likely Loeb will win, but I seconded the part about Latvala, he should be on par with Hirvonen.

I think this year I just completely ignore Loeb winning every stage of ever rally and the second place podium, but the 3rd place podium will likely to be different from rally to rally I think, it will be very interesting season actaully. Many talented drivers with good enough cars to challange each other.

Off topic: Interestingly it's like an army of Ford. That's their strategy I think and works really effectively. Like the Lemans 1969 where Porsche enters about 3 top cars, but Ford entered 11 GT40 to increase their chances.

Leon
10th January 2008, 10:20
I'm disappointed there's no Matthew Wilson on the list... I'd vote for him :D

and Al Quassimi

AndyRAC
10th January 2008, 10:46
^ lol.

I still think likely Loeb will win, but I seconded the part about Latvala, he should be on par with Hirvonen.

I think this year I just completely ignore Loeb winning every stage of ever rally and the second place podium, but the 3rd place podium will likely to be different from rally to rally I think, it will be very interesting season actaully. Many talented drivers with good enough cars to challange each other.

Off topic: Interestingly it's like an army of Ford. That's their strategy I think and works really effectively. Like the Lemans 1969 where Porsche enters about 3 top cars, but Ford entered 11 GT40 to increase their chances.

We should be thankful to Ford for supporting them championship. Imagine there were only 2-3 Fords. Pity there aren't other Manufacturers willing to do the same.

Frozzy
10th January 2008, 10:58
i think loeb will run away with a 5th title this year. however i think the most exciting thing this year will be the battle for 2nd bteween hirvonen latvala and hopefully a newly inspired petter solberg

DonJippo
10th January 2008, 11:25
Latvala already 2 votes ? can you Guys explain that please... ;)

Atleast he is going to score more points than your favourite in 2008 ;)

jonas_mcrae
10th January 2008, 11:25
Go Garde! LOL

Daniel
10th January 2008, 11:26
Gardemeister
Is there a Scheduled freezing over of Hell this year? Same for those voting for Galli!

pantealex
10th January 2008, 13:39
Let Loeb get his record 5th title, a win in GB and he's done pretty much all that there is to do in rallying. Maybe he will move on and we can have a title race in 2009.

What about win in Finland? After that he has won everything!

MrJan
10th January 2008, 13:53
NO one has voted for Atkinson or Sordo, why ever not? ;) :p : :laugh:

Abarth
10th January 2008, 18:10
I voted for Hilary..
No I mean Latvala. That is more heart than brain, cause that one says Loeb - but thats too simple.

Maybe Pirelli will give Subaru an advantage, but the rubber has probably changed too much since they used it.

Hopefully the ford boys can whip Seb, to create some exitement...

Lousada
10th January 2008, 20:31
Only Loeb can beat Loeb. So my vote goes to Loeb.

pino
10th January 2008, 21:17
Atleast he is going to score more points than your favourite in 2008 ;)

If that will happen I wouldn't mind, because I am a fan of Latvala too...since Acropolis 2003 ;) So this time no bet :p :

car1279
10th January 2008, 22:45
I really hope P. Solberg and Subaru to arise again...
:angel:

Helstar
12th January 2008, 06:01
Is there a Scheduled freezing over of Hell this year? Same for those voting for Galli!
Oh come on stfu.... can't you see the difference between a Suzuki SX4 and a 07 Focus ?!
Of course this doesn't mean both got a chance to win the championship, but if Galli has 0.1% then Garde has 0.0001% you know what I mean.

pino
12th January 2008, 07:26
My heart forced me to vote for Gigi :p : but there's not doubt that we need a miracle to see Loeb loosing this title...

GigiGalliNo1
12th January 2008, 08:42
I would like to see the subaru's come back into the contendership this year with new tires and then a new car but possibly see loeb winning again or milko coming close actually winning it! I mean mikko haha silly phone! And gigi Also doing well latvala too! :) fords will always be competitive and i voted for mikko cause i do like loeb but don't want him to win this year!

feresc13
12th January 2008, 10:12
Loeb will do, but I wish that Latvala or Mikko were the champions, they are my favourite rally drivers and always have a smile in their face.

J.Lindstroem
12th January 2008, 16:13
I think that it will be a fight for the championship next year. But in the end Loeb will win it i think. However, it wont be as easy as people might think. Finland for example, he will never win in Finland where both Mikko and Jari-Matti is extremely fast.

Wim_Impreza
13th January 2008, 10:16
Loeb will easily win his 5th title. Hirvonen shall make more faults than the last two years and Jari-Matti isn't consistent enough yet. I doubt Hirvonen can ever take the title. After Loeb retired from the sport about a few years, Jari-Matti is ready to take the title. Subaru will have a very difficult year again. I really think this would be the most boring year ever in the WRC history.Hopefully Galli and Duval can get good results.

tmx
14th January 2008, 09:52
Beside loeb, I disagree about everything said ^. I think it will be a wonderful and interesting season to watch, comparing to the last 3 seasons. That includes the coverage quality (finger crossed). I don't see a modern day rally driver, beside loeb, that is consistent as Hirvonen. I fear that by the end of the season, Jarri might be even with Hirvonen in points. Ofcourse I could be wrong and they both crashes out all the time, but I don't think so. Okay I am optimist, but that's what this sports need. I will reaffirm this on December 2008.

Brother John
14th January 2008, 10:18
Loeb will easily win his 5th title. Hirvonen shall make more faults than the last two years and Jari-Matti isn't consistent enough yet. I doubt Hirvonen can ever take the title. After Loeb retired from the sport about a few years, Jari-Matti is ready to take the title. Subaru will have a very difficult year again. I really think this would be the most boring year ever in the WRC history.Hopefully Galli and Duval can get good results.

Typical Belgium expectation or predictions. ;)
Now i know why I´m always so negative! I have lived too long in Belgium! :eek:

N.O.T
17th January 2008, 08:13
i think we should have some polls where we can see who voted for who....its really nice to ridicule the ignorant nationalistic people who voted for someone other than loeb....

Mice do not turn into rally drivers from one day to another.....If the C4 works and keeps reliable then none can match the speed of loeb.

DonJippo
17th January 2008, 10:39
[quote="N.O.T"]i think we should have some polls where we can see who voted for who....its really nice to ridicule the ignorant nationalistic people who voted for someone other than loeb..../quote]

Something you don't have to worry about...

A.F.F.
17th January 2008, 10:43
Mice do not turn into rally drivers from one day to another.

And something you should know about.

N.O.T
17th January 2008, 11:27
ahhh...the finnish armada strikes again...

i salute you gentlemen !!!!!

jens
17th January 2008, 16:53
Of course Loeb is the favourite, but Hirvonen is very consistent and if he has fewer retirements than Seb, then he may be fairly close to him in the standings. Latvala is quick (may well be quicker than Hirvonen), but I guess he's not quite as consistent as Hirvonen yet and will have more retirements. Sordo has shown that he is able to match Loeb on tarmac, but will he be allowed to fight against the Frenchman there? Also Dani has progressed on gravel and is able to achieve podiums, but probably that won't be enough for a title challenge yet.

Strange that Sordo has less votes than Galli or Gardemeister. Where is his fanclub? :o

Unfortunately Subaru has no chance.

TKM
17th January 2008, 23:29
NO one has voted for Atkinson or Sordo, why ever not? ;) :p : :laugh:
Cause Atko is driving a POS and Sordo can't drive on gravel.

Until Subaru build a decent car, Loeb's got it in the bag. Hirvonen might take it to him in some of the gravel rallies, but not enough to beat him in the championship. It's going to be a pretty boring year.

MrJan
18th January 2008, 13:19
Cause Atko is driving a POS and Sordo can't drive on gravel.

Yeah there is that, and the fact that both of them crash too much and neither are particularly good drivers :p :

gloomyDAY
19th January 2008, 05:46
Until Subaru build a decent car, Loeb's got it in the bag. Hirvonen might take it to him in some of the gravel rallies, but not enough to beat him in the championship. It's going to be a pretty boring year.
I hope you're utterly wrong, but we all know you're speaking sense.

TKM
22nd January 2008, 04:58
I hope you're utterly wrong, ...
So do I

GigiGalliNo1
22nd January 2008, 06:35
wait i did vote for gigi right!?

tmx
23rd January 2008, 01:56
galli, umo, toni, latvala, henning, francois, anderson. this is the first time since 2005 with this many drivers, i think if you concerntrate not on the championship but below it will be interesting.

WRCfan
31st January 2008, 03:57
Good call, I just don't get why they have to show so much of Loeb in the highlight shows. There are much more interesting battles going on down the leaderboard and I for one would like to see more of the lower placed cars.

Championship-wise Loeb will be hard to beat, although Hirvonen is perfectly capable of beating him on rallies. Remember the tyres this year do not have mousse in them so it only takes a puncture to loose any of the drivers a rally, including Loeb. Last year with a puncture he could continue at almost the same speed so there is a big handicap this year to help other drivers out if top cars catch punctures...

duff
31st January 2008, 05:32
Remember the tyres this year do not have mousse in them so it only takes a puncture to loose any of the drivers a rally, including Loeb.

I agree. I think the tyre issue will decide a number of rallies this year.

Lalo
31st January 2008, 18:00
I'm afraid Loeb will win again unless a surprise shows up in the next events. I wish Hirvonen, Petter Solberg or even Latvala can beat his a** one of these days. It's all a matter of consistancy, and that's something they all have.

cali
31st January 2008, 19:26
Fastest driver will win. And it's Loeb. I was not a Loeb fan before, but this guy is a genius, so i'm all for Loeb until he retires rallying. He is not the Schumacher of rallying, he is way better. :up:

grugsticles
31st January 2008, 19:30
Regarding the lack of moose this year - I dont think that will harm Loab's chances of another title this year for the reason that, to me, Loab very rarly seems to get a puncture. Im sure he has just been lucky... or maybe he is easier on the car/tyres so they last longer?
Having said that, you never never know!

If Loab doesnt take the title, Ill guess that Miko will as I dont think Petter will get the S14 early enough.

All the other drivers I dont believe have a huge chance of becoming champion just yet.