PDA

View Full Version : Control > Alt > Delete

Roamy
7th January 2008, 15:13
Ha Ha now this has to be good. I can wait for this season as we will have a few first time winners. A microsoft ECU Ha Ha they will be lucky if they get revs over 8K.

McLaren are at a clear advantage this year because they built the electronic system which all Formula One teams must now use, Ferrari chief executive Jean Todt said on Monday.

The SECU (Standard Electronic Control Unit) produced by McLaren Electronic Systems is a major development for the new season, which starts on March 16 in Melbourne.

"We would have preferred that the single control unit for all Formula One teams was built by another company. We must accept the fact that McLaren with Microsoft put forward the most economic proposal," Todt told reporters.

SGWilko
7th January 2008, 16:03
"We would have preferred that the single control unit for all Formula One teams was built by another company.

Yeah, Ferrari. :laugh:

I wish these folk what stop moaning. If they don't like, they should have put their own ECU forward, but they didn't.

Put up or shut up I say......

SGWilko
7th January 2008, 16:12
And Kimi is on his final lap, if he takes this victory, he becomes the double WDC.......

And look at that, he's slowing down, what's that display on the steering wheel?????

ratonmacias
7th January 2008, 16:40
st. lewis already ran this ecu at brazil remember?

7th January 2008, 16:53
Mclaren being involved with the ECU doesn't help the argument that Max Mosley has a vendetta or runs a witch-hunt against Mclaren, does it?

Yes, for sure Ferrari could have 'won' the contract by coming up with a better proposal, but the screams of "Ferrari International Assistance" would never have ended.

Maybe Jean Todt & Ferrari were happy to let Mclaren have the development when the contract was awarded.....Up until 2007 I would have accepted that Ron Dennis was the type of person to ensure fairness and that Mclaren developing the ECU was ok.

Unfortunately, after 2007 I wouldn't trust him and his organisation ever again.

They have been shown to be incapable of honesty and, in my opinion, it's hardly surprising that after 'Spygate' saga Ferrari voice the opinion that Mclaren will have an advantage.

Bagwan
7th January 2008, 18:25
"most economic proposal" reads as "cheapest option" , and implies there were other bids for the contract .

CNR
7th January 2008, 21:05
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????
? is there a way for McLaren to download data from other teams ?
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????

LeonBrooke
7th January 2008, 21:36
The point is that McLaren will already be used to running with this sort of ECU with this sort of programming, whereas other teams will have to completely redesign everything so that it's compatible.

I think they should either have awarded this contract to a company currently outside F1, or not instituted this rule; if they'd wanted to ban traction control they could have stipulated a mechanical connection between the right-hand pedal and the throttle body (i.e. banned throtte-by-wire systems) and banned all those little wheel sensors during qualifying and racing.

wmcot
8th January 2008, 05:12
Is the ECU running Windows Vista? If so, it may not be compatible with all hardware (read engines) on the other cars! ;)

Mark
8th January 2008, 11:43
I wonder if they'll have to use ActiveSync to download data :p

wedge
8th January 2008, 12:21
Yeah, Ferrari. :laugh:

I wish these folk what stop moaning. If they don't like, they should have put their own ECU forward, but they didn't.

Put up or shut up I say......

They did, it was tendered under Magnetti Marelli.

markabilly
8th January 2008, 13:36
And Kimi is on his final lap, if he takes this victory, he becomes the double WDC.......

And look at that, he's slowing down, what's that display on the steering wheel?????

Just some download with the latest updates from MS, which requires an immediate automatic restart of the computer....

No wonder that LH is talking again as though he has already won the 2008 WDC

Whoever said talk is cheap, action dear......

tsarcasm
9th January 2008, 17:30
those were the buttons LH was looking for during his slowdown in Brazil...

Ctrl-Alt-Del

Valve Bounce
10th January 2008, 03:39
Is the ECU running Windows Vista? If so, it may not be compatible with all hardware (read engines) on the other cars! ;)

My daughter's friend's girlfriend's brother's good school buddie's father has it on good authority that they will be running MAC because MAC provides better graphics.

SGWilko
10th January 2008, 09:44
My daughter's friend's girlfriend's brother's good school buddie's father has it on good authority that they will be running MAC because MAC provides better graphics.

Linux?

SteveA
10th January 2008, 09:53
I think they should throw out ECUs and go back to carbs - and the only controls on the steering wheel would be the manual ignition timing advance/retard lever!

Valve Bounce
10th January 2008, 11:09
I think they should throw out ECUs and go back to carbs - and the only controls on the steering wheel would be the manual ignition timing advance/retard lever!

You forgot the turn indicators. :p :

OK!! I take that back, because the turn indicators actually fit on the steering column opposite the windscreen wiper controls.

SteveA
10th January 2008, 13:25
Well, for turn indicators they should have semaphor arms- but woe betide any team that attempts to use them as an aero device!

markabilly
10th January 2008, 13:30
Toss it too, sounds too much like another one of those advanced driver aids :D

I am evil Homer
10th January 2008, 14:06
Seeing as it's been built by what was TAG I really can't see it being an issue they manage to build ECU for motorsport no problem.

tsarcasm
11th January 2008, 21:28

Arrr, and a wooden dash, the original carbon fiber...

Valve Bounce
11th January 2008, 22:28
The police here are testing some sort of device where they can slow down or immoblise a car when it is detected as speeding. Something to do with the black box of the car. Rumour has it that the device is manufactured by the same people who supply the ECU for F1.

markabilly
12th January 2008, 14:28
The police here are testing some sort of device where they can slow down or immoblise a car when it is detected as speeding. Something to do with the black box of the car. Rumour has it that the device is manufactured by the same people who supply the ECU for F1.

Be assurred that thos earmarked for Mercedes will have no such problem, but as to ferrari.....

I have it on good authority that after the monaco Q session where the car of MS lost power, it was discovered that such a device was used against his ECU on his car, but out of fear that it would be attacked and exploited further as a "weak link", they chose not to mention it since they were confident the other excuse would be more believeable........ Subsequent modifications seems to have prevented further such problems