PDA

View Full Version : First official picture of new McLaren MP4-23 revealed - Official Launch Thread

Giuseppe F1
7th January 2008, 14:30
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_gallery_display.php?fes_gal_id=812

savage86
7th January 2008, 14:58
It looks exactly the same as the old car :-S however the 2003 Macca was based on the 2002 car and that still went like stink.
Was hoping for a few more nice new designs though

SGWilko
7th January 2008, 14:58
Is it me, or is there a lack of Abbey/Santander sponsorship?

I also chuckled at the comment by Todt that McLaren would be advantaged by the ECU.

Well, yeah, because McLaren and Microsoft made it. If Todt would like to have come up with a more cost effective solution at the time, they could all be using his..........

Giuseppe F1
7th January 2008, 15:58
Seems the Viking horns are no longer a feature or perhaps these will still surface at various tracks over the year?

Could just be that they arent on the launch model yet may sprout for testing/Melbourne

Interesting the blatant 'empty space' on the bargeboard (ex. Johnnie Walker) and front wing endplate (ex. MM)...

...could be McLaren are using this 'shop window' to woo potential new sponsors nefore the season starts or it may even be that someone may surface to fill both spaces before/during the season much how LeNovo acquired the empty sidepods the Williams' ran in 2006, for the 07 season and beyond.

thedools
7th January 2008, 18:41
Certainly looks like theres a lack of abbey/santander sponsership, surprising considering Hamiltons rookie year and the amount of exposure hes given to maclaren.

keysersoze
7th January 2008, 20:31
In the close-up of Lewis and Heike, the Finn has an odd pose--like he' trying to hold a turd in.

SGWilko
7th January 2008, 20:48
In the close-up of Lewis and Heike, the Finn has an odd pose--like he' trying to hold a turd in.

Uh oh, he's touching cloth with the turtle head...... :rotflmao:

LeonBrooke
7th January 2008, 21:43
http://www.pitpass.com/images/galleries/2008launchmclaren/2008launchmclaren_s002.jpg

Is it just me or do they both look like cardboard cutouts from the waist up?

Oh, yes, disappointed by the car... interesting that they've ditched the bridge wing too...

Ranger
8th January 2008, 00:02
Wierd coincidence here - The Mp4/23 is launched on Lewis' 23rd birthday... and he will drive car #23 this year. :p :

The car, like nearly all others will be, is not much different to last year's. There's no major rule changes so there shouldn't be too much that is radical, apart from paintjobs (hopefully) with some teams.

raikk
8th January 2008, 02:51
<insert Ferrari/Mclaren spy scandel joke here>

I think the nose looks a bit thinner but other then that not much has changed really.. Hope it's quick..

leopard
8th January 2008, 03:05
http://www.pitpass.com/images/galleries/2008launchmclaren/2008launchmclaren_s002.jpg

I have that impression too, Heikki's sleeves need to be retailored as it looks longer than his arm.

wmcot
8th January 2008, 05:10

At least Heikki doesn't have the "official" McLaren haircut and sideburns! Way to go Heikki - I like him!

LeonBrooke
8th January 2008, 05:55
At least Heikki doesn't have the "official" McLaren haircut and sideburns! Way to go Heikki - I like him!

Which is nice to see. From some angles, Lewis' hair looks painted on :dozey:

leopard
8th January 2008, 07:18
I am afraid of wearing the wrong brand that makes the cloths aren't fit to them.

yodasarmpit
8th January 2008, 10:18
Certainly looks like theres a lack of abbey/santander sponsership, surprising considering Hamiltons rookie year and the amount of exposure hes given to maclaren.
It has the same Santander sponsorship as last years car, behind the drivers head.
Also above the vodafone branding on the drivers suit.

SGWilko
8th January 2008, 10:30
It has the same Santander sponsorship as last years car, behind the drivers head.
Also above the vodafone branding on the drivers suit.

There was a much better picture of the new car in the Metro (London freebie morning paper) and the Santander logo's are on the drivers overalls, and Johnnie Walker is still on the rear wing endplates.

yodasarmpit
8th January 2008, 10:33
There was a much better picture of the new car in the Metro (London freebie morning paper) and the Santander logo's are on the drivers overalls, and Johnnie Walker is still on the rear wing endplates.
OT, The Metro is a nationwide thing, you even get it up here :)

millencolin
8th January 2008, 12:54
basically the same hey... but that car was fast last year so why mess with a proven formula?

WSRfan82
8th January 2008, 15:15
looks like last years car but i get the feeling this ones there own car :P

ArrowsFA1
8th January 2008, 15:42
Evolution not revolution. The regs simply don't allow for major changes.

leopard
9th January 2008, 03:04

can we have the link please ...

SGWilko
9th January 2008, 09:05
can we have the link please ...

If you go routing through the bins over here, you may find an old copy of the paper, but I cannot link to it, sorry. ;)

leopard
11th January 2008, 04:09
If you go routing through the bins over here, you may find an old copy of the paper, but I cannot link to it, sorry. ;)
Ok thanks, following links through someone else provided are usually twice faster. :)