PDA

View Full Version : OT - Sparco Helmet Visors

LessThanSte
6th January 2008, 21:28
Does anyone happen to own a Sparco Formula helmet? Further, does anyone happen to own a blue iridium visor for a Sparco Formula (or for that matter any Sparco helmet)?

The reason i ask is as follows.

I do a resonable amount of karting. Karting takes place in close proximity to the floor which means stones, oil and sometimes water whizzing past your head at speed on a regular basis.

I recieved a nice shiny blue iridium visor for xmas and boy does it look good. Superb in fact. That worries me though. Obviously its going to get dirty during a meeting which is going to require cleaning, but as i understand it, iridium is a bit of a bugger and the coating can, on some helmets, come off very easily. Is this the case with sparco iridium visors.

I have a number of options. Tearoffs is an idea so that i can simply wipe the tearoff rather than rubbing the visor itself, though the tearoffs that sparco do only cover half of the actual visor. Its also been pointed out that i should not remove the bottom tearoff as its likely to bring the iridium coating with it! Is that true? Do tearoffs sound practical?

The other option ive heard of is using Rainx or something similar to clean it. Now a friend of mine has a arai bike helmet that he now uses for karting with a blue iridium visor and uses rainx all the time. He's had the visor as long as ive known him. I have however heard that some arai iridium visors have needed replacing half way through a meeting. Ive also heard however that Rainx can take the coating straight off a visor. Has this happened to anyone who owns a Sparco helmet?

The choice ive got is thus: Keep this sexy new visor and use tearoffs, use rainx, just rub gently with a lint free cloth that'll be firmiliar to those who wear glasses, or would it be better to sent the visor back :( and get myself a dark smoke one which is not, as far as im aware, a coating and will therefore be unaffected by cleaning, which is also considerably less money?

Hope someone can help, il be using the helmet in, oooo, 3 weeks so need to make a snappy decision!

Abo
8th January 2008, 13:01
Ok, I'm not familiar with these up close and personal, but is the coating definately on the outside of the visor?

hicksy
8th January 2008, 13:47
As far as I know it is a surface coating. Seeing what these cost I would take it out of the packaging. I would try calling a supplier and ask them. You could try MTEC racing online shop 01827 250646. Here is another link with Technical help http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/contact_us.php

LessThanSte
8th January 2008, 16:56
Yeh its a surface coating. Anyhow, ive had 2 messages from people on the BUKC forum who own them, one uses pledge glass cleaner, the other uses mr muscle, both have had them for 2 or 3 years and they still look good. Thanks for the help though (reports from anyone else would still be appreciated!)