PDA

View Full Version : Network Solutions

Mp3 Astra
4th January 2008, 17:04
I'm trying to come up with a solution to a problem I'm having working out the logistics of our home network.

Basically, we have a Playstation 3 in an outhouse at the end of the garden, about 20 metres and several thick walls away from the wireless router. As a result, the PS3 is getting a 1-12% signal which makes it unusable online. There are 3 solutions I am considering; and I put it to you to give me advice on which method would be most effective. (I'm pretty sure some of you have network knowledge)

Solution A: Use hard-wiring and make some holes in some walls and feed it down to where the Playstation 3 is. Good points: Guaranteed perfect network signal quality. Bad: Several holes made in walls, will have to by suspended in mid-air as it travels across the garden.

Solution B: Use a wi-fi signal booster. I've been looking at these and don't understand the implications with using them. Good points: Increased signal quality, no holes have to be made, reasonably cheap. Bad: Complicated to set up, delays the signal so could cause online gaming lag, signal will not be perfect.

Solution C: Next to this outbuilding there is a single floor flat where my brother lives when he's home from uni. It has a serparate phoneline. The solution is to buy broadband for this flat as well and use wireless from it to the PS3 that is about 5 metres away in the other building. Good points: My brother and the PS3 finally get some decent wi-fi. Bad: Expensive.

Any advice about networking would be greatly appreciated!

Attached is a diagram of the situation and the potential plans.

Mark
4th January 2008, 17:33
If you can find a way to run a cable that will always be best despite the disruption. Especially for the likes of gaming. Other than that you may want to look at running the wireless indirectly via a repeater but that will lag.

drew3007
4th January 2008, 17:44
I would suggest running the cable. CAT 5e and CAT6 cable (that is the class of networking cable you would end up using) can run for 90 meters before needing a signal boost to maintain good sugnal. It sounds like your outhouse is well within that limit.

I would propose that instead of suspending it, bury it under the ground. I don't think you would do much damage to any plants you might have to transplant temporarily to run it in a straight line. The insulation on the cable should keep it rather safe from the elements. When you drill holes, drill them low and seal them with caulking so you can keep bugs and critters out. I would suspect you could do this in 1 day on the weekend.

Daniel
4th January 2008, 18:26
I would suggest running the cable. CAT 5e and CAT6 cable (that is the class of networking cable you would end up using) can run for 90 meters before needing a signal boost to maintain good sugnal. It sounds like your outhouse is well within that limit.

I would propose that instead of suspending it, bury it under the ground. I don't think you would do much damage to any plants you might have to transplant temporarily to run it in a straight line. The insulation on the cable should keep it rather safe from the elements. When you drill holes, drill them low and seal them with caulking so you can keep bugs and critters out. I would suspect you could do this in 1 day on the weekend.
I was going to say exactly this :)

Bury the CAT6 and run it up the wall to wherever it needs to go.

Wireless is useless for gaming IMHO.

Another less holey solution would be powerline networking

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-network.htm

A little costly but no holes and no wireless issues.

Dave B
4th January 2008, 19:17
Definately go for the burying option. Make sure the cable is protected against damage, and while you're running it why not bury some spare runs of various cables in case you ever need them for anything else.

nicemms
4th January 2008, 21:01
If your parents are fine with cable, then go with cable, its a lot quicker and definately more reliable. Just make sure you have plenty of cable, you don't want to be running out 5m before the ps3!

Daniel
6th January 2008, 12:48
http://www.shop.bt.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=4PYX

Here is a powerline networking starter kit. If you don't want to drill walls I do think this would be the best solution as wireless is flaky and can also be expensive in it's own right. It's not as fast as gigabit ethernet but it'll be faster than your broadband so it won't slow you down.

odykas
7th January 2008, 08:17
Solution D: Try external antennas.

Mp3 Astra
7th January 2008, 13:18
Thanks every one. :)

Daniel; the powerline stuff looks very interesting, however the power for the PS3 comes from the flat next door, not the main house. Since the flat has no internet, we're back to square 1! However, I am intrigued about this powerline technology and might use it in other ways.

Daniel
7th January 2008, 14:14
Well it was a thought. I would definitely go with cat6 cable and bury it