PDA

View Full Version : Martin Budkowski from Ferrari to McLaren.

janneppi
4th January 2008, 09:49
According a Finnish tabloid Martin Budkowski, apparently somewhat competent aerodynamics engineer at Ferrari, jumped to McLaren.
Does this mean the new Macca is red after all? :p :

Valve Bounce
4th January 2008, 11:10
According a Finnish tabloid Martin Budkowski, apparently somewhat competent aerodynamics engineer at Ferrari, jumped to McLaren.

I hope he isn't bringing his CD's and DVD's with him :p :

leopard
4th January 2008, 11:29
Not a problem, Ferrari is completely aware that McLaren will not anymore have driver to transfer Ferrari technology make a sense. :)

TMorel
4th January 2008, 12:17
Ok, now as I understand it, taking a DVD with plans is not allowed, but taking your knowledge and experience with you is ok.
So all McLaren have to do is hire a mechanical designer to go with this appointment of the aero guy, then they can use the Ferrari plans as they originally wanted to and when the FIA question them, they can just say they only used the designs in their head, they just happen to have perfect memory. Would be pretty hard to prove otherwise wouldn't it?

Valve Bounce
4th January 2008, 12:30
Ok, now as I understand it, taking a DVD with plans is not allowed, but taking your knowledge and experience with you is ok.
So all McLaren have to do is hire a mechanical designer to go with this appointment of the aero guy, then they can use the Ferrari plans as they originally wanted to and when the FIA question them, they can just say they only used the designs in their head, they just happen to have perfect memory. Would be pretty hard to prove otherwise wouldn't it?

Yeah!! as long as they remember to leave out the Ferrari logos on the plans. :p :

Actually, with aero, it's not what was in the designs, which is pretty obvious from photos, but the future direction they want to develop, which gives the improvement.

ArrowsFA1
4th January 2008, 12:37
I guess as much as the 2005 McLaren was red, or the 2007 Ferrari was silver, given Nikolas Tombazis's influence on both ;)

markabilly
4th January 2008, 13:45
I hope he isn't bringing his CD's and DVD's with him :p :
No, it is only floppies....

PSfan
4th January 2008, 23:17
Well, guess this is proof that the spy scandals from the past year will have an influence on F1 for the forseeable future. Shame McLeran couldn't have poached someone from Ferrari last year, then there might not be as much correspondence between McLeran and Stepney, and some doubt as to the source of the Ferrari information. Also a shame that McLeran won't be able to get as much use out of the new guy, as they already promised not to develop some systems, and as I already stated, I suspect Ferrari already have a legal team ready to start a protest should anything resemble the ferrari to closely...

Also, while people are joking about egineers bringing cds/dvds with them when they are hired on at a different team, If they where smart they would be using flash memory... an SD card can hold alot of information, and be stored in their cell phones/music players/digital camera's etc etc... And can you imagine all the interesting places you could hide a micro sd card? :p :

Valve Bounce
4th January 2008, 23:48
I honestly don't think that anything could be levelled against McLaren if they copied/looked like Ferrari's aero developments. All they need are photos taken from testing, practice, quals and races as well as from TV broadcasts if they really needed to copy anything from another team. Aero is so intricate that if Budkowski starts to carry out a development in a certain direction which he had been contemplating/planning, who can say this is not a new idea?

After all, last year's aero is this year's trash. Aero development ideas change so rapidly that I've given up trying to figure out how all the flip-ups and winglets can improve over the previous year's.

ShiftingGears
5th January 2008, 01:07

That makes a lot of sense, and would be the clever thing to do if there were still aspects of Ferrari design in their car. Of course, this could simply be trying to look too deeply into one person changing teams.

leopard
7th January 2008, 08:23
McLaren will not copy Ferrari technology this year, Ferrari on the other hand will copy their McLaren Electronic System. :D

ArrowsFA1
7th January 2008, 08:32
McLaren will not copy Ferrari technology this year, Ferrari on the other hand will copy their McLaren Electronic System. :D
Gilles Simon (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64536) is already preparing the excuses :p

"Obviously MES has a better knowledge of the ECU than we have. Clearly at the moment there is an advantage for who knows this system

leopard
7th January 2008, 10:00
Gilles Simon (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64536) is already preparing the excuses :p
I believe that teams like Ferrari would be able to overcome in order not to be left out than those have better know-how about the system.

But teams like Renault, probably Williams too where the non-engine devices like aerodynamic and electronic system are essential to lift up their performance, the change could be a big issue.

7th January 2008, 16:22

Or stating the bleeding obvious.

Having Mclaren produce the ECU doesn't exactly sit in with the claim that the FIA & Max Mosley have a grudge or 'witch-hunt' against Ron Dennis.........

wmcot
8th January 2008, 05:32
No, it is only floppies....

Have the copy shops been warned to be on the lookout for large print jobs bearing Ferrari logos? :)