PDA

View Full Version : WSBK - Official test PI

Mach24
4th January 2008, 08:41
The WSBK Pirelli test takes place at Phillip Island this coming 8, 9 & 10 of January.

Weather forecast is fine & 24, 28 & 29.

Not 100% sure who is attending the first official test of 2008, but I am confident the heavy hitters will all be in attendance.

I hope to get out there for a look day 1 or 2. On the downside there is no admittance to the circuit so all my spying will be done from outside the fence at Siberia (Gap Road)

NinjaMaster
4th January 2008, 10:22
I think the sneaky way to get a good look is to take a tour with the motorsport museum there. I can't remeber who it was (maybe on this board) but I heard of someone doing this and they gave a tour through the pits and into the media tower whilst some testing was on.
Will be interesting to see how the new Honda, Kwak and Ducati fare against the well developed Yamahas and Suzuki's as well as the new boys like Tamada and Checa. Things are looking even stronger (theoretically) for 08 in WSB and I hope this test will give us an indication of that. :up:

leopard
4th January 2008, 11:42
Parking service usually have free access back and forth around the track. :D

Neither me can bear watching a round of the series, witnessing which Ducati would be the fastest.

Mach24
4th January 2008, 21:06
I don't think the Duc's will be the runaway success that so many others are predicting.

This is the year of Yamaha, they have a well sorted bike with two excellent riders (although I still think Corser has run his course). Yamaha have stability from 2007 and proven equipment where most have major changes.

I guess a lot depends on development of new bikes and riders for 08'.

This could be Nori's last 'real' chance at becoming World Champ!

patnicholls
4th January 2008, 23:21
There's clearly the new Duc to consider (and for FGSport to evaluate it's competitiveness and adjust it's regs accordingly, as we've heard) and Sterilgarda's setup to look at with Max on board plus the big question mark of how quick the Ten Kate guys - all WSB rookies let's not forget - will be straight out of the bag.

I also think Max Neukirchner could be a dark horse this season, ditto Fonsi Nieto despite his mediocre form last year on the Kawasaki. I'd love Yukio to be up there too but I fear not. Yamaha will be strong after Nori's storming end to 2007.

Kawasaki, as ever, have everything to prove.

And yes, WSB 2008 looks very competitive indeed - a stronger field than 2007 already in theory.

Mach24
5th January 2008, 00:23
Pat, the description above clearly indicates why Yamaha must go in favourites.

Suzuki have the wrong Max on what is a race/championship winning bike. I believe all 3 Suzuki riders do not have the consistency required.

Kawasaki will improve and may even get a round win, but that in itself would be a big achievement.

Honda and Ducati are the sleepers in the pack, new bikes with the talent aboard to ride to victory.

This is one of the reasons bike racing is so interesting, all the predictions are thrown out the window at Q1, round 1.

But there is one thing for sure, we are in for a great season!

tha_jackal
5th January 2008, 05:10
I also think Max Neukirchner could be a dark horse this season, ditto Fonsi Nieto despite his mediocre form last year on the Kawasaki. I'd love Yukio to be up there too but I fear not. Yamaha will be strong after Nori's storming end to 2007.

They say great minds think alike and i too think Neukirchner will be a real threat in 2008, as long as he IS actually given equal machinery to Nieto and Kagayama.

He also needs to work on his consistancy, but that will come naturally with age and experience.

Watch out for the young German is all i'll say, one of my favorite prospects out of any class world wide. Im sure he'll be in MotoGP one day, those Dorna-ites need a new German rider since the controversial departure of one Alex "Hoffmeister" Hoffman. ;)

I also concur with the point that WSBK will be an exciting, strong field next year. I say bring it on! Been watching all the races from 2007 recently since ive just got cable TV (theyre re-playing the seasons races) and it is awesome to see so many bikes firing off the grid and into turn one, in comparison to MotoGP that is. :)

Mach24
9th January 2008, 00:55
SUPERBIKE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP: 1. Bayliss (Aus-Ducati) 1'32"5 (66 laps); 2. Haga (Jap-Yamaha) 1'32"8 (95); 3. Kagayama (Jap-Suzuki) 1'32"9 (70); 4. Nieto (Spa-Suzuki) 1'33"2 (65); 5. Corser (Aus-Yamaha) 1'33"4 (72); 6. Fabrizio (Ita-Ducati) 1'33"4 (77); 7. Biaggi (Ita-Ducati) 1'33"5 (69); 8. Xaus (Spa-Ducati) 1'33"5 (62); 9. Laconi (Fra-Kawasaki) 1'34"0 (70); 10. Neukirchner (Ger-Suzuki) 1'35"5 (85); 11. Tamada (Jap-Kawasaki) 1'35"8 (61).

SUPERSPORT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP: 1. Parkes (Aus-Yamaha) 1'35"2; 2. Pitt (Aus-Honda) 1'35"5; 3. Rea (GB-Honda) 1'35"8; 4. Brookes (Aus-Honda) 1'36"3; 5. McCoy (Aus-Triumph) 1'36"4; 6. Foret (Fra-Yamaha) 1'36"6; 7. Fujiwara (Jap-Kawasaki) 1'36"9; 8. Harms (Dan-Honda) 1'37"7

Aaaaaah Winter testing! revised forecast, going to be 41 degrees tomorrow!

Roby44
9th January 2008, 09:33
41 in Victoria :confused: :confused:

Crikey thats almost like the weather we have here all the time!!

If only the weather was like that at race time though!! :)

Mach24
9th January 2008, 21:04
1. Troy Bayliss AUS Ducati Xerox 1098R 1min 32.2 secs
2. Yukio Kagayama JPN Alstare Suzuki GSXR1000 1min 32.3 secs
3. Noriyuki Haga JPN Yamaha Motor Italia YZF R1 1min 32.4 secs
4. Michel Fabrizio ITA Ducati Xerox 1098R 1min 32.6 secs
=5. Troy Corser AUS Yamaha Motor Italia YZF R1 1min 32.7 secs
=5. Ruben Xaus SPA Sterilgarda Go Eleven 1098R 1min 32.7 secs
7. Max Biaggi ITA Sterilgarda Go Eleven 1098R 1min 32.9 secs
=8. Fonsi Nieto SPA Alstare Suzuki GSXR1000 1min 33.0 secs
=8. Regis Laconi ITA PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse ZX10R 1min 33.0 secs
10. Makoto Tamada JPN PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse ZX10R 1min 35.5 secs
Max Neukirchner GER Alstare Suzuki GSXR1000 no time

Fastest day one time:
Troy Bayliss AUS Ducati 1min 32.5secs

Official Phillip Island WSBK lap records:
Superpole: Troy Bayliss AUS Ducati1min 32.145secs (2007)
Fastest lap: Troy Corser AUS Yamaha 1min 31.826secs (2007)

WSS test times - Wednesday.

1. Broc Parkes AUS Yamaha WSSP Team YZF-R6 1min 34.8 secs
2. Jonathan Rea GBR Hannspree Ten Kate Honda CBR600RR 1min 35.0 secs
3. Andrew Pitt AUS Hannspree Ten Kate Honda CBR600RR 1min 35.3 secs
4. Josh Brookes AUS Stiggy Motorsport CBR600RR 1min 35.8 secs
=5. Chris Walker GBR Gil Motorsport Kawasaki ZX-6R 1min 36.0 secs
=5. Fabien Foret FRA Yamaha WSSP Team YZF-R6 1min 36.0 secs
7. Garry McCoy AUS Triumph - SC 675 1min 36.2 secs
8. Katsuaki Fujiwara JPN Gil Motorsport Kawasaki ZX-6R 1min 36.7 secs
9. Robbin Harms DEN Stiggy Motorsport CBR600RR 1min 37.0 secs

Mach24
10th January 2008, 08:08
WORLD SUPERBIKE BEST TIMES
1 Troy Bayliss, Australia, Ducati - 1:32.2
2 Yukio Kagayama, Japan, Suzuki - 1:32.3
3 Noriyuki Haga, Japan, Yamaha - 1:32.4
4 Michel Fabrizio, Italy, Ducati - 1:32.6
=5 Ruben Xaus, Spain, Ducati - 1:32.7
=5 Troy Corser, Australia, Yamaha - 1:32.7
7 Max Biaggi, Italy, Ducati - 1:32.9
=8 Fonsi Nieto, Spain, Suzuki - 1:33.0
=8 Regis Laconi, France, Kawasaki - 1:33.0
10 Makota Tamada, Japan, Kawasaki - 1:33.5
11 Max Neukirchner, Germany, Suzuki - 1:35.5

WORLD SUPERSPORT BEST TIMES
1 Broc Parkes, Australia, Yamaha - 1:34.8
2 Jonathan Rea, Great Britain, Honda - 1:35.0
3 Andrew Pitt, Australia, Honda - 1:35.3
4 Josh Brookes, Australia, Honda - 1:35.8
5 Chris Walker, Great Britain, Kawasaki - 1:36.0
6 Garry McCoy, Australia, Triumph - 1:36.2
7 Fabien Foret, France, Yamaha - 1:36.6
8 Katsuaki Fujiwara, Japan, Kawasaki - 1:36.7
9 Robbin Harms, Denmark, Honda - 1:37.0

Troy Bayliss broke his collarbone today in an accident at turn 10, Bayliss brought Laconi (uninjured) down in the fall.

Media outlets are questioning weather Troy will be able to race at round 1 on February 23, I'm here to tell you he will be racing, but will he be fully fit?

NinjaMaster
10th January 2008, 08:22
Beat me to it Mach. :) Spot on about Bayliss too. It's pretty tight at the top. If that closeness of speed is genuine then we are in for a cracker of a season.

Also, Parkes has been mildly dominant in the supersport class finishing fastest every day. The most exciting development of the ss testing is the competitiveness of McCoy on the Triumph. I really hope the 600's can return to the wide open title it once was. The signs are there that it is slowly getting there but work still needs to be done by the non Ten Kate and Yamaha Germany teams to consistently catch up.

Mach24
10th January 2008, 10:53
Great effort first time out for Johnny Rea and I reckon Michel Fab should be pleased with his efforts too.

NinjaMaster
10th January 2008, 11:06
Yeah, nice to see some youth coming through to give the establishment something to think about. I really want to see the next wave of riders (Fabrizio, Neukirchner, etc. really start proving themselves this year against greats like Bayliss, Haga and Corser and start taking the reigns before these top guys are gone.

Mach24
10th January 2008, 23:28
Below are the revised times from the PI test.

As you can see Yukio jumped to position 1 on the final day, a great effort considering the conditions.

1. Yukio Kagayama JPN Alstare Suzuki GSXR1000 1min 32.1 secs
2. Troy Bayliss AUS Ducati Xerox 1098R 1min 32.2 secs
=3. Michel Fabrizio ITA Ducati Xerox 1098R 1min 32.3 secs
=3. Ruben Xaus SPA Sterilgarda Go Eleven 1098R 1min 32.3 secs
=3. Fonsi Nieto SPA Alstare Suzuki GSXR1000 1min 32.3 secs
6. Noriyuki Haga JPN Yamaha Motor Italia YZF R1 1min 32.4 secs
7. Troy Corser AUS Yamaha Motor Italia YZF R1 1min 32.7 secs
8. Max Biaggi ITA Sterilgarda Go Eleven 1098R 1min 32.8 secs
9. Regis Laconi ITA PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse ZX10R 1min 33.0 secs
10. Makoto Tamada JPN PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse ZX10R 1min 33.4 secs
11. Max Neukirchner GER Alstare Suzuki GSXR1000 1min 35.5 secs

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wsbk/news/158556-0/phillip_island_wsbk_test_times_-_thursday.html

leopard
11th January 2008, 03:49
Glad to see Alstare Suzuki guys on top, and Corona remains there, although I have to say that their previous riders have more chance to give challenge on this year's title.

Mach24
11th January 2008, 07:00
Glad to see Alstare Suzuki guys on top, and Corona remains there.

I thought Corona was no longer involved with Alstare?

tha_jackal
11th January 2008, 08:13
Yer Corona pulled their backing, from Alstare and WSBK.. Makes you wonder weather Neukirchner is getting stuck on year old machinery again :(

leopard
11th January 2008, 09:10
I thought Corona was no longer involved with Alstare?
I thought so.

Mach24
11th January 2008, 09:11
Yer Corona pulled their backing, from Alstare and WSBK.. Makes you wonder weather Neukirchner is getting stuck on year old machinery again :(

I think you over estimate Max, he may have flashes of brilliance, but otherwise mediocrity is his game.

If (don't you hate IF) Suzuki had the right rider in 08, they would be a real force.

I have said it before and I will say it again, Suzuki have the wrong MAX!

leopard
11th January 2008, 09:22
The right Max cost dear, their money is sufficient for the wrong one.

Mach24
11th January 2008, 09:44
The right Max cost dear, their money is sufficient for the wrong one.

Depends how serious you (Suzuki) are about being World Champion.

leopard
11th January 2008, 09:55
The existence of corona was astonishing, what conspiracy to explain issue about pulling out of sponsorship was to prevent Biaggi from being word champion in his second year with Suzuki.

Mach24
11th January 2008, 10:06
The existence of corona was astonishing, what conspiracy to explain issue about pulling out of sponsorship was to prevent Biaggi from being word champion in his second year with Suzuki.

huh?

leopard
11th January 2008, 10:20
huh?Can't my memory remember correctly that corona would stop their sponsorship for Suzuki that has initiated Biaggi went out, you got it? :rolleyes: :)

Mach24
11th January 2008, 10:34
Can't my memory remember correctly that corona would stop their sponsorship for Suzuki that has initiated Biaggi went out, you got it? :rolleyes: :)

I have not heard this before.

If you have further links to discussion on this I would be interested to read more.

leopard
11th January 2008, 10:37
I have not heard this before.

If you have further links to discussion on this I would be interested to read more.
where have you been :p :

Mach24
11th January 2008, 10:41
where have you been :p :

Right here!

Where have you read this?

leopard
11th January 2008, 10:44
It could be here or somewhere else, therefore I asked you.

If you didn't notice it either, just forget it.

Mach24
11th January 2008, 11:05
It could be here or somewhere else, therefore I asked you.

If you didn't notice it either, just forget it.

Forget what?

patnicholls
11th January 2008, 22:02
Corona pulled out of motorsport sponsorship entirely, partly because alcohol sponsorship is being phased out next after tobacco backing. Nothing to do with Max whatsoever.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/august/august1-5/aug0307coronaendsuzukiandwsbsponsorship/

And, it's standard sponsorship practice to back something for some time then once you're well-known enough, pull out and focus elsewhere. The residual memory of the sponsorship to the fans carries on. Like us talking about Corona now. I fancy a beer.

Mach24
12th January 2008, 09:21
Corona pulled out of motorsport sponsorship entirely, partly because alcohol sponsorship is being phased out next after tobacco backing. Nothing to do with Max whatsoever.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/august/august1-5/aug0307coronaendsuzukiandwsbsponsorship/

And, it's standard sponsorship practice to back something for some time then once you're well-known enough, pull out and focus elsewhere. The residual memory of the sponsorship to the fans carries on. Like us talking about Corona now. I fancy a beer.

Pat, thanks for your input to this. My confusion was there was some inference that Corona had pulled its sponsorship so as to 'stop' Max Biaggi becoming World Superbike Champion.

I may have read into the post incorrectly, but that was my take.

I think it is clear Corona pulled support for commercial reasons.

ChrisS
13th January 2008, 15:28
Pat, thanks for your input to this. My confusion was there was some inference that Corona had pulled its sponsorship so as to 'stop' Max Biaggi becoming World Superbike Champion.

I also have trouble understanding what leopardsleeping is trying to say some times.

Anyway as Pat said Corona's withdrawal was because alcohol sponsorship is being phased out of racing. It makes no sense to pull out because they don't like Biaggi. On the contrary Biaggi is a very marketable rider and sponsors would love to have him (Camel pulled out of MotoGP because they wanted Biaggi and Honda wouldn't have him)

Corona's withdrawal is however part of the reason Alstare did't keep Biaggi. Biaggi wanted a lot of money, money that Alstare didnt have now that it lost it's title sponsor. Nieto has Suzuki Spain backing, Neukirchner has Szuzuki Germany backing. Signing those two was a lot cheaper for the team and perhaps even brought money into the team

Allyc85
13th January 2008, 21:10
Surprised nobody has mentioned Bayliss's broken collar bone....

leopard
14th January 2008, 03:29

In my opinion a rider will get accustomed well in their second year after passing their learning first year. Biaggi will obviously have bigger chance if only he rides Suzuki rather than any other bikes as it forces him to restart what he's learned at Suzuki.

The announcement of Corona pulling out of SBK would be great loss for Suzuki as the source of money paying competitive rider like Biaggi. Surprisingly, based on the pics of PI test you posted Yukio still wear the corona color. Doesn't this mean that he remains sponsor Suzuki and their plan of withdrawing came undone?

leopard
14th January 2008, 03:36
I also have trouble understanding what leopardsleeping is trying to say some times.

I don't hope your difficulties defining what am I trying to say has relationship with posts that were different with yours, btw how are you?

leopard
14th January 2008, 04:09
We will talk this after people understand my posts...

I feel sorry for the broken collar bone, hoping him with a speedy recovery and get well soon.

Nick@S
14th January 2008, 14:00
I read an MCN interview with Francis Batta, who said that Max Biaggi wanted personal advertising space on the bike, for his personal sponsors. Francis stated that the bike belonged to the team, not Max.

Not that this will be the only reason why he wasn't kept on, I'm sure, but....

ChrisS
14th January 2008, 23:08
I don't hope your difficulties defining what am I trying to say has relationship with posts that were different with yours, btw how are you?

I dont recall us having any disagreements, did we? I'm fine how are you?

leopard
15th January 2008, 04:08
I dont recall us having any disagreements, did we? I'm fine how are you?
Having disagreements would be more fruitful, I don't think anybody would by intention write ununderstandable posts in case they don't have anything urgent than to examine carefully before posting.

I am fine too. :)

leopard
15th January 2008, 04:15
I read an MCN interview with Francis Batta, who said that Max Biaggi wanted personal advertising space on the bike, for his personal sponsors. Francis stated that the bike belonged to the team, not Max.

Not that this will be the only reason why he wasn't kept on, I'm sure, but....
That's what I wanted to say, What would Max do with the space on the bike.

Unless anyone can show that now he gained better salary than that of Suzuki, it smells like conspiracy to send him away from Suzuki.

Mach24
16th January 2008, 10:31

Read the 11th post on page 1.

ChrisS
18th January 2008, 09:05

I'm a bit late but...

I wonder how Bayliss' injury will change the balance within Ducati, this could be all Max Biaggi needs to get a head start and force the team to give him support