PDA

View Full Version : WOW !!! that was fast !

RaceFanStan
4th January 2008, 02:35
My emachines computer that I bought new just over 2 years ago just gave-up it's hard-drive. :s
I pulled this old relic out of the closet & I am back online but at a much reduced speed.

I have a hard-drive that I could install into the emachines but I don't know if it will work.
You see I bought a new hard-drive for this 1999 computer a few years ago ...
it seemed so complicted to install & I'm still a novice when it comes to major changes ...
this old computer has a 400mhz processor with 512 MB RAM & Windows 98 ...
it wasn't anywhere near what was being offered so I opted to upgrade to a new computer ...

I opted for an emachines with AMD64 3000 processor & Windows XP, I had recently upgraded to 2048 RAM ...
I was happy but now the hard-drive just clanks, windows won't load & it's time for another new computer ... :s

This old relic is very out-dated but at least it still works. http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/smilies/bomb.gif

leopard
4th January 2008, 03:37
Congrats for the new computer.

I have one nearly that spec, a 2 GHZ 1024 RAM, it's fast enough but when turn to job with thousand of nodes it's no good enough :D
Hoping someday to have opportunity to try the 2048 RAM, currently that's not enough urgency to leave the current one.

Surprisingly, I have to keep the old one with windows 98, 128/600 MHZ or so because there is an old program whose the format of the floppy cannot work properly using computer from the better spec.

Magnus
4th January 2008, 09:16
I have had the same master HD now for 7,5 years. When will it give up on me? I just it on a daily basis. I must say I am impressed!

Camelopard
4th January 2008, 10:01
I have had the same master HD now for 7,5 years. When will it give up on me? I just it on a daily basis. I must say I am impressed!

I hope you take regular backups!

Magnus
4th January 2008, 10:05
Yep; I have two other harddrives which I continously back up to.
nonethe less i will be alittle sad the day it gives up on me; we have had so much fun together :)

Daniel
4th January 2008, 12:16
Sorry to hear that Stan. I'm having a slightly better day in that sense. I just had some parts arrive for a PC I'm building for myself later this month. New fans, CPU heatsink and some RAM :) Now to make sure everything works as expected :)

MrJan
4th January 2008, 13:18
There are lot of numbers and words here I don't understand :D

RaceFanStan
8th January 2008, 04:10
I gave up on getting the emachines running again as the hard-drive is toast ...
nothing I do can get it going again so I ordered a Dell & it should be here tomorrow ...
I opted for a work station that should stand up to my computing activities ...
it has a Pentium 4 CPU & thankfully my 2048 MB RAM will fit. :D

I will pull the DVD/CD burner & high end graphic card out of the emachines ...
then I will install them in the Dell. :D

Daniel
8th January 2008, 07:47
I gave up on getting the emachines running again as the hard-drive is toast ...
nothing I do can get it going again so I ordered a Dell & it should be here tomorrow ...
I opted for a work station that should stand up to my computing activities ...
it has a Pentium 4 CPU & thankfully my 2048 MB RAM will fit. :D

I will pull the DVD/CD burner & high end graphic card out of the emachines ...
then I will install them in the Dell. :D
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Please don't tell me it has a Pentium 4 CPU :mark: Pentium 4's are absolute rubbish these days.

leopard
8th January 2008, 08:36
Currently I have problem with the combo DVD/CD, it can't even read anything other than optic cleaner CD and said module not found, let alone writing. This is a pity as it has only several uses of private collection films since it bought. :\

306 Cosworth
8th January 2008, 09:01
We had an old timny computer that we bought in 2000 and it was still going well albeit very slow back in late 2007 until I purchased this new beauty :D

RaceFanStan
11th January 2008, 16:50
Yeah, my old 1999 still works but it is really SLOOOOOOW. :s

I have the Dell up & running, I have added the 2048 MB RAM & with the Pentium4 it zooms !
I have installed my SpySweeper & AVG anti-virus ...
I've also make made several bookmarks (that I emailed to myself from the old computer) ...
I installed my Ulead photo editor & various other photo programs I like to use ...
next is to download the media players (Yahoo, Quicktime & Real) (Windows Media Player is already installed) ...

I am really enjoying my Dell & it seems even faster than the emachines it replaced. :D :up:

Contrary to what someone said, I am very pleased with the Pentium4, it works GREAT !
The Pentium4 even seems to work faster than the AMD64 that was in the other computer. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Daniel
11th January 2008, 17:03
Pentium 4's are built on a design which is about 4 or 5 years old. The core 2 duo processors are about 1.5 years old and are much faster and use a lot less power.