PDA

View Full Version : Any New IRL News? Forum is becoming empty

CCFanatic
31st December 2007, 20:07
Any rumors? Drivers moving around? New venues?

Only rumors I have heard since the IRL season ended was of at least two races leaving the IRL in 2009. St. Pete and Watkins Glen.

I haven't heard any other news in the IRL since.

millencolin
1st January 2008, 03:09
tis been quite dead...

MAX_THRUST
2nd January 2008, 12:26
Is that it?

The IRL forum is starting to look like the CCWS forum. Devoid of anything. At least we get people moaning and whinning on the CCWS forum, where did all the IRL posters go, cause there doesn't seem to be any here any more.

CCFanatic
2nd January 2008, 20:54
Is that it?

The IRL forum is starting to look like the CCWS forum. Devoid of anything. At least we get people moaning and whinning on the CCWS forum, where did all the IRL posters go, cause there doesn't seem to be any here any more.

Maybe the forums can change names, and the IRL forum can be called the Anti-CCWS forum?

Have yet to hear of Scott Sharps replacement at RLR, and I hear that unless the team fields 2 cars for the opener, Ethanol, the sponsor on Ryan Hunter-Reay's car, will pull out, ending the teams season and dropping the car count below 18.

Confirmed IRL seats as of today.
Penkse - Castro-Neves, Briscoe
AGR - Kanaan, Andretti, Mutoh, Patrick
TCGR - Dixon, Wheldon, (Lloyd could move to Panther if Delphi does not return)
RLR - Hunter-Reay
Vision - Carpenter Jr.
Roth - Howard, Roth

11 total confirmed seats. Not including Lloyd as his whereabouts to where he will be racing is yet to be known. Sponsors for him is yet known. Panther has yet to confirm Miera for his car, as the pull out of Aguri Suzuki will cost the team their second car.

Still not title sponsor.

IRL posters are in the CC forum.

indycool
2nd January 2008, 23:18
St. Pete and Watkins Glen? Never heard St. Pete and never heard with any authority about The Glen.

And it's Jan. 2. That's probably about right on car count right now.

CCFanatic
2nd January 2008, 23:25
St. Pete and Watkins Glen? Never heard St. Pete and never heard with any authority about The Glen.

And it's Jan. 2. That's probably about right on car count right now.

St. Pete has issues like San Jose with construction possibly ending the racing. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays want a new stadium or add ons to their current stadium and the stadium is located next to the track. I believe the WG issue was posted on AutoRacing1 (Mark hates it when you call his place AR1).

indycool
2nd January 2008, 23:42
They took the "Devil" out of "Devil Rays," but you're right, I've heard about a new stadium down there but not its effect, if any, on whether the race will continue or not. You don' 'splained the last part.

CCFanatic
2nd January 2008, 23:54
Look or a map of the track. If the stadium gets an expansion, it would at least bring construction equipement into the street and park were grandstands and track would be. If a new one was built, it could go to where the airport is located. The airport is not used by heavy traffic airliners, and that is where pits and the main section of the course is located. I see the race going in 2009 though, but if the Rays which do not need a new field or add on, get their wish in the next couple months, I think you could see the IRL's best road circuit gone.

Watkins Glen has little attendance and could see the chopping block because of that. It is not talked about in the local press to much extent. The races are usually not the most exciting in the plantet either. No one really cares about that race.

Speeds up for Corners
3rd January 2008, 00:27
Well, Cavin did say in his blog that he thought the Mile might be gone in '09 if the '08 attendance did not go up significantly. Other than that, the only thing happening of late, is what is not happening, that was said to be happening now. :cool:

indycool
3rd January 2008, 02:17
How much business is conducted over the holidays?

Speeds up for Corners
3rd January 2008, 03:35
How much business is conducted over the holidays?

If you're McD's, or Walmart or Zales, a ****load. If you mean the racing industry, and I assume you do, then my answer is ..." I dunno".

indycool
3rd January 2008, 13:54
In December, the McD's, Walmarts or Zales are busy moving product.

SarahFan
3rd January 2008, 21:43
In December, the McD's, Walmarts or Zales are busy moving product.

but there marketing arms job to promote the 4th QTR is done.....

Chaparral66
10th January 2008, 00:42
but there marketing arms job to promote the 4th QTR is done.....

Marketing is a 12 month a year job. Usually, most advertising is bought for the spring quarter back in the fall of the prior year...

Jonesi
10th January 2008, 03:53
Marketing is a 12 month a year job. Usually, most advertising is bought for the spring quarter back in the fall of the prior year...

Except when there's a writers strike looming, with actors & directors right behind them. ;-)

tbyars
10th January 2008, 19:35
Well, CCFanatic, since you are so concerned, here is a little good news to trumph your "rumors" card. I probably should start a new thread for this, but I wanted to make sure you see it here....

From ESPN-PR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JANUARY 10, 2007

IndyCar Series Telecasts Elevated to High Definition on ESPN and ABC in 2008

Fans of the IndyCar Series will be treated to a new look for event telecasts in 2008 as ESPN will televise all 16 events of the series in high definition for the first time. ESPN on ABC’s coverage of the 2007 Indianapolis 500 was the first IndyCar Series event ever to be televised in HD.

All cameras used in ESPN’s IndyCar Series coverage will be HD, including in-car cameras and those used in the pits and for other points of view. Included will be an HD onboard camera that can provide a rotating 360-degree view.

“The Indianapolis 500 and the IndyCar Series are very important to ESPN and our affiliates,” said Bryan Burns, ESPN vice president, strategic business planning and development. “Taking our coverage to the next level with high definition has been a priority for us and the series, and will enhance the breadth of our HD services. We’re happy that sports fans will be able to reap the rewards all season.”

IndyCar Series will appear on ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC in 2008, including seven events on both ESPN2 and ABC and two on ESPN. The networks also will cover Indianapolis 500 qualifying May 10-11 and 17-18, and high definition coverage is extending to ESPN2’s telecasts of the 16 Indy Pro Series races this season.

We are extremely pleased to be working in conjunction with ESPN to showcase the speed and excitement of IndyCar Series racing in the clarity and wide-screen format of high definition television,” said Terry Angstadt, president of the commercial division of the Indy Racing League, the sanctioning body for the IndyCar Series and the Indy Pro Series. “The addition of the 360-degree, onboard camera for the first time in the United States continues the IndyCar Series’ role as a leader in innovation and technology while offering our teams added value for their sponsors.”

The new onboard camera is the first of its kind in domestic motorsports and is the next evolution of the previous onboard system used in the series. Broadcast Sports, Inc., which developed the system, worked with the league's technical team on wind tunnel simulation and aerodynamic research to ensure the new mount does not affect race car aerodynamics at speeds of more than 220 mph.

The IndyCar Series season begins Saturday, Mar. 29, at Homestead-Miami Speedway with a prime time telecast on ESPN2 at 8 p.m. ET. The series concludes at Chicagoland Speedway Sunday, Sept. 7, at 3:30 p.m. on ABC. The 92nd running of the Indianapolis 500 airs Sunday, May 25, at noon on ABC.

ABC will televise the Indianapolis 500 for the 44th year and ESPN will celebrate its 13th year of IndyCar Series coverage in 2008. The ESPN alliance dates back to the series’ inaugural 1996 event and with ABC’s’ first telecast of the Indianapolis 500 in 1965, a relationship that is the second-longest in sports between a network and sports property. Only CBS and the Masters have been together longer.

In 2008, ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD will deliver more than 1,000 live events in high definition including: NFL Monday Night Football, NASCAR, NBA, MLB, college football, the Masters, MLS, MLL, IndyCar Series, NHRA, Winter and Summer X Games and more. All of ESPN and ESPN2’s Bristol-based studio programming originates in high definition, including SportsCenter, NFL Countdown, NFL Monday Night Countdown, NFL Live, Monday Night Countdown, Baseball Tonight, Mike & Mike in the Morning, NASCAR Now and First Take. In addition to live sports programming, ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD produce individual programs, movies and series. [/font][/color][font=Arial]ESPN will launch two new HD services this year, ESPNEWS on Mar. 30 and ESPNU on Aug. 28.

Currently, ESPN HD reaches more than 15 million subscribers and is available to more than 93 million homes and ESPN2 HD reaches approximately 12 million subscribers and is available to more than 79 million home

If what I heard yesterday is even 25% true, you may be a little sorry you started this thread. Some of it is great for the ICS. Some of the rest you ain't gonna like very much....

ChicagocrewIRL
12th January 2008, 17:00
Is that it?

We've all been on holiday in the Bahamas where there is no internet but interest in the series doesn't die in the off season... just posting about it dies.

Major news in mind....

Paul Tracy NOT coming to the IRL even though it seems Chip offered him a contract as big as both PT's and CG's waistlines combined.

Scott Sharp, THE IRONMAN of the IRL is taking his tequila and opting for fendered racing in stuffy enclosed cockpits. THANK GOD NOT NASCAR
I will miss you Scott, more than Hornish or Franchitti.

IndyPro Series numbers will be staggering in 2008. Not out of the realm of possibility to have 30-35 car grids. IPS might be more exciting than ICS. (gasp)

Promising, exciting rookies in the Series this year in Alex Lloyd, Hideki Mutoh, and Jay Howard. Hopefully all of them will have full time rides where we can watch an exciting rookie of the year competition and not have a farce like last year's with Milka Duno. THANK GOD for Ryan Hunter-Reay riding in and saving the day.

The "in limbo" status of Tomas Scheckter, Buddy Rice, and Sarah Fisher. I'm at a loss as to why they haven't finalized their 2008 plans or the absence of rumors regarding them. NOTHING.

The sad fact that there are only 16 confirmed car/driver combinations at this point in the game.

Looking forward to the 2008 Season. Should be interesting to see how things shape up.

indycool
12th January 2008, 18:44
The Indy Star said 66 drivers were at meetings and a photo shoot last week. In the same story, Sarah Fisher said she's starting her own team but could not discuss plans yet because they weren't finalized. Haven't heard anything about Scheckter or Rice, either.

mark123
13th January 2008, 19:57
scheckter was not even at the photo shoot. how much you read into that, i'm not sure. IPS sounds great for 2008. lets hope that there are 22 full time and fully funded seats in indy car this year, although i'm not sure that will happen.

45 Below
14th January 2008, 20:06
I for one will be back here more often once the racing starts again. You've got to take a break from reading the trolling every now and then.

ChicagocrewIRL
14th January 2008, 22:33
Why was my post edited by STARTER ? Weird. I don't think I wrote anything untoward. The season hasn't even begun yet and I wasn't even in a rambunctious mood when I posted.

hmmm

Chaparral66
25th January 2008, 01:47
Except when there's a writers strike looming, with actors & directors right behind them. ;-)

That's got nothing to do with the actual buying of ad time. The ad buys are totally independent of the creation of the ads. If no ads are made because of strikes by writers, producers and directors, then the company buying ad time will use current inventory until issues are settled.