PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cake!

LeonBrooke
30th December 2007, 06:51
I've been baking cakes recently and it's all gone very well until it comes to getting the cake out of the tin. I inverted this afternoon's over a plate and tapped it, andd eventually it fell out of the tin in three big pieces, leaving behind about an inch of cake adhering to the bottom of the tin.

What can I do? Do I need a non-stick tin?

mate
30th December 2007, 08:19
You can use a sclaper to get the cake out of the tin

LeonBrooke
30th December 2007, 09:00
Yeah, that would do the job, thanks :)

jim mcglinchey
30th December 2007, 09:19
Are you using grease-proof paper and/ or greasing the tin?

LeonBrooke
30th December 2007, 09:27
I've been greasing the tin but it doesn't seem to be enough when I take it out of the oven. Perhaps grease-proof paper is the way to go :)

Mark
30th December 2007, 14:11
But then you get a paper covered cake. I have got some cake tins which have a built in thing that is just like a knife you turn around after the cake is cooked and it releases it.

GridGirl
30th December 2007, 15:31
Are you using the correct quantities of ingredients, especially eggs as it doesn't sound like the cake is binding well enough. A friend of mine once followed a recipe to the tee but they had forgot to mention when to put eggs in so she never bothered. She had a lovely tasting cake but it just wasn't binded together so you had to eat all the crumbs with a spoon.

Donney
30th December 2007, 15:39
You might need to grease the tin and then spread some flour on top of the grease.

Camelopard
30th December 2007, 23:21
Anyone tried those silicone (I think) tins(?) that you can turn inside out to remove the cake?

Drew
31st December 2007, 00:20
My mum has a cake tin that's in two parts, the base and the side. You push the base up and somehow she manages not to drop the cake.

It's not silicone though.

airshifter
31st December 2007, 00:57
When I buy a cake they never have a baking pan stuck to them! :laugh:

I can count the number of times I've baked cakes in tins on one hand. Thankfully, that same number is the number of times they didn't stick. Before you think this information is of no use, refer to the first sentence in my post. :D

LeonBrooke
31st December 2007, 06:45
Thanks for the advice, I'll try it all out.

GridGirl, I'm pretty sure I'm using the right ingredients in the right proportions. The pieces it breaks into hold together properly and it tastes all right and has the right texture... does it matter what order you add the ingredients to the mixture?

leopard
31st December 2007, 06:55
You might not wear apron.

LeonBrooke
31st December 2007, 07:19
Ah, but I don't, I use my labcoat (which has been thoroughly washed so it's perfectly hygienic)...

leopard
31st December 2007, 07:29
Usually this apron (http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50145039/Embroidered_Apron.jpg) is highly recommended to cooking rather than labcoat might be contaminated allergen from patients.

LeonBrooke
31st December 2007, 08:35
Ah, but don't worry, I make sure my labcoat is clean and not contaminated. So, if anyone wants some cake, they need not worry...

leopard
31st December 2007, 09:51
We do not eat a diet menu cake :)

Donney
31st December 2007, 11:00
Anyone tried those silicone (I think) tins(?) that you can turn inside out to remove the cake?

Yes and they work great, they are a little bit more expensive but I think they are worth.

leopard
31st December 2007, 11:18
Why didn't you try a metal plate with teflon layer, like in the kitchen appliances such as Rice cooker, Steamer, Frying pan etc. It might help to minimize the cake adhered to the tin.

veeten
31st December 2007, 13:10
mmmmm ... cake. Yum. :lips: :)

LeonBrooke
1st January 2008, 04:56
Thanks for the advice people. I'll look for a teflon tin or a silicone one :) and if anyone wants cake, I can assure you all that it's perfectly safe, just ask ;)

leopard
2nd January 2008, 06:49
The problem fixed now, but I know silicone more a femaleness enhancer. :)

Mark
2nd January 2008, 11:02
He's posting some wierd stuff today!

LeonBrooke
2nd January 2008, 11:06
Yes, and that's really saying something!

Perhaps I should stay away from silicone cake tins, I'm perfectly happy as a male...