PDA

View Full Version : Car for an old person? (my dad)

Brown, Jon Brow
29th December 2007, 18:56
My dad is looking at getting a new/ish car (no more than 1 year old).

His short-list

Audi A6
Chysler 300C
Mercedes E-class

He wants a desiesal.

What should he get?

Thanks

nicemms
29th December 2007, 19:31
Unless He wants to look like a Gangster, avoid the 300C. I quite like the A6.

Drew
29th December 2007, 19:49
HONDA :p :

Daniel
29th December 2007, 19:53
Citroen C6. He'll look classy.

Malbec
29th December 2007, 21:44
Citroen C6. He'll look classy.

The leftfield choice, probably the best bargain around and exclusive too. Also shows discerning taste.

Audi/Merc boring boring boring.

300C? Got the Tommy guns to go with it?

GridGirl
29th December 2007, 22:51
I thought old people bought Vauxhall's? :p

Out of the choices given I would say the C6. It would be one smooth and comfy ride. :)

Daniel
29th December 2007, 22:53
Dylan knows his stuff ;) I'd love a c6 but I think a 24 year old in one would look stupid.

Daniel
29th December 2007, 22:55
So does GridGirl! Old people buy Hyundai's which we discovered when we booked Caroline's Subaru in to the local Subaru place which just happens to be a Hyundai place too :mark:

Rollo
30th December 2007, 00:43
The amount of dosh we're hitting in this thread is about 30,000 squids. That will put you in such things as an Evo IX, Lotus Exige, Mazda RX-8 or even a Vauxhall VXR8, which are all more fun that the euro super lounges. Heck, even get a Mondeo with turbocharging.

The cars listed at the beginning of this thread are esentially for tired people... which may very well be accurate, in which case, get a 407 Diesel.

mate
30th December 2007, 08:25
audi a6

Brown, Jon Brow
30th December 2007, 16:27
The amount of dosh we're hitting in this thread is about 30,000 squids. That will put you in such things as an Evo IX, Lotus Exige, Mazda RX-8 or even a Vauxhall VXR8, which are all more fun that the euro super lounges. Heck, even get a Mondeo with turbocharging.

The cars listed at the beginning of this thread are esentially for tired people... which may very well be accurate, in which case, get a 407 Diesel.

My dad says he wants a car to waft in. I'd like him to get a Jaguar XF, but the diesel is too expensive.

He like the 300C because he thinks they look like a Rover P5.

Daniel
30th December 2007, 16:31
He thinks a 300c looks like a P5 :rotflmao: If he wants to waft there's no better car than there's nothing better than a c6 for the task.

Brown, Jon Brow
30th December 2007, 16:38
My dad is far too beige to get a C6.

Daniel
30th December 2007, 16:54
Tell him to take a testdrive. Won't hurt. I don't see how the C6 is too colourful. It's distinctive but not too distinctive. It's got the worlds most comfortable suspension and it's a french turbo diesel which means it'll be reliable enough.

Malbec
30th December 2007, 17:25
My dad says he wants a car to waft in.

I thought Citroen was the dictionary definition of waft....

Bought new they're a bit pricey but secondhand they're a bargain.

Hydropneumatique suspension means you glide over bumps, not smack into them like German cars.

Daniel
30th December 2007, 17:52
It also means that if someone tries to assassinate you that the car will still be driveable on flat tyres.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/ft/feature/top+ten/1737/10

Watch from about 5 minutes on and you'll see the definition of wafting (C6) and not wafting (some German car)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tdEKmnWUy4

Also note the fact that it's super cool.

Woodeye
30th December 2007, 18:09
How about a VW Jetta? For some reason I think that's a car that only old men use. :D

RaikkonenRules
30th December 2007, 20:42
I thought Citroen was the dictionary definition of waft....

Bought new they're a bit pricey but secondhand they're a bargain.

Hydropneumatique suspension means you glide over bumps, not smack into them like German cars.

Nooo not a Citroen, stay away from the French. ;)

Daniel
30th December 2007, 21:00
Yes you've had a lot of experience of owning cars haven't you. Nooo Jon don't buy an italian car! It'll break down on you daily. I've owned 2 french cars, an italian and a german car and without a doubt the Audi I had was the worst car ever built.

Malbec
30th December 2007, 23:33
I've owned 2 french cars, an italian and a german car and without a doubt the Audi I had was the worst car ever built.

Statistically thats not true, the Germans are more reliable.

The problem is that they are stultifyingly boring, unimaginative and lacking in any joie de vivre whatsoever.

In real terms a new French or Italian car isn't that much less reliable than a German and you get a car that has charisma and style and often (if French) imaginatively engineered too.

Life's too short for German cars.

RaikkonenRules
31st December 2007, 11:03
Yes you've had a lot of experience of owning cars haven't you. Nooo Jon don't buy an italian car! It'll break down on you daily. I've owned 2 french cars, an italian and a german car and without a doubt the Audi I had was the worst car ever built.

I based that on looks not the drive. ;) Sorry but they are ugly things.

jim mcglinchey
31st December 2007, 13:00
My old fella is 75 and his weekend car is an MX5..before that he had a silver Esprit turbo.

Daniel
31st December 2007, 15:01
I based that on looks not the drive. ;) Sorry but they are ugly things.
You clearly need a taste transplant then!

Daniel
31st December 2007, 15:21
Statistically thats not true, the Germans are more reliable.

The problem is that they are stultifyingly boring, unimaginative and lacking in any joie de vivre whatsoever.

In real terms a new French or Italian car isn't that much less reliable than a German and you get a car that has charisma and style and often (if French) imaginatively engineered too.

Life's too short for German cars.

I was merely using my own experiences as a yardstick. The problem is everyone uses their own experiences to gauge how reliable or good something is. I can guarantee that if most people on this forum look up and down their street they're bound to see lots of Italian and French cars and are less likely to see German cars so are less likely to encounter someone who's having issues with a German car. Though of course I do think German cars are more reliable than French or Italian cars I don't feel the gap is as big as most people think. My 406 has a few niggly problems but nothing showstopping like people seem to associate with French cars.

Brown, Jon Brow
31st December 2007, 17:26
I don't think German cars are really much more reliable but as a general rule they have superior build quality. Some things in my mums Renault seem like they have been stuck on with saliva.

Brown, Jon Brow
31st December 2007, 18:55
Looks like it's down to a 1 year old Merc E class or a new 300c Touring.

Daniel
31st December 2007, 20:08
Well at least if he ever wants to start pimping he'll have a good car for it. Did you suggest a c6?

SubaruNorway
31st December 2007, 21:45
Do not buy a VAG product like A6 if you want to replace your whole front suspension every now and then ;)

If he realy wants a car wich basicly is faultless and looks good by a Subaru Legacy/Outback joint car of the year togheter with Mondeo on Top Gear, i work at Ford and there seems some problems with the new Mondeo already though but still a good car to drive and stuff.

Zico
3rd January 2008, 17:31
You clearly need a taste transplant then!

So must I then.. I just couldnt buy one, both head and heart say no..
Boring, dull Mercedes for me. :)

No BMW's in that list.. cos of their image or the fact that they are a tad more involving to drive?

Daniel
3rd January 2008, 17:33
So must I then.. I just couldnt buy one, both head and heart say no..
Boring, dull Mercedes for me. :)

No BMW's in that list.. cos of their image or the fact that they are a tad more involving to drive?
It's French and not OTT and importantly for a lot of people it's bordering on Sub Zero on the Top Gear cool wall. Hello!?!??!?! Up there with Aston Martin's and so on.....

Zico
3rd January 2008, 18:21
It's French and not OTT and importantly for a lot of people it's bordering on Sub Zero on the Top Gear cool wall. Hello!?!??!?! Up there with Aston Martin's and so on.....

Up there with Astons???? Can I have some of what you are smoking? :D

I've owned several french cars over the years, mainly Pugs and I've loved them all.
I just never have been able to see Peugeot, Citroen or Renault as genuine executive type sector BMW/Mercedes rivals. The words "Citroen" and "style" should never be allowed in the same sentence imo.. I used to point and laugh at Citroen XM's.. you just dont see them now, where did they go?
I really couldnt give a monkies whether Top Gear liked it or not.. its just not my idea of the kind of car I'd buy when Im getting on in my years.

I guess ultimately it boils down to the issue of depreciation more than anything else.

Each to their own though. :)

Malbec
3rd January 2008, 20:40

To be fair Daniel you either 'get' big Citroens or you don't, you're not going to change minds. While I'm totally with you on this one (eventually I WILL buy an old DS) they aren't a logical purchase unless they're secondhand when the depreciation takes the sting out of things.

I just happen to appreciate that the French are still willing to push the envelope with new concepts like the Avantime and the Vel Satis or the DS, even the Espace and Scenic were way ahead of time. They are interesting but only if you like to think about your cars as much as you like to drive them.

Daniel
3rd January 2008, 23:36
Up there with Astons???? Can I have some of what you are smoking? :D

I've owned several french cars over the years, mainly Pugs and I've loved them all.
I just never have been able to see Peugeot, Citroen or Renault as genuine executive type sector BMW/Mercedes rivals. The words "Citroen" and "style" should never be allowed in the same sentence imo.. I used to point and laugh at Citroen XM's.. you just dont see them now, where did they go?
I really couldnt give a monkies whether Top Gear liked it or not.. its just not my idea of the kind of car I'd buy when Im getting on in my years.

I guess ultimately it boils down to the issue of depreciation more than anything else.

Each to their own though. :)
Top Gear agree with me that they're almost as cool as Aston's ;) Don't believe me? Check the clip earlier in the thread :) the thing is big French cars do the executive saloon thing so well in that they're comfortable and handle well. Not in the sense of a sportscar but in the sense of a car to drive distances in.

P.S a 2 year old C6 will have done most of it's depreciating already anyway :)

Daniel
3rd January 2008, 23:39
To be fair Daniel you either 'get' big Citroens or you don't, you're not going to change minds. While I'm totally with you on this one (eventually I WILL buy an old DS) they aren't a logical purchase unless they're secondhand when the depreciation takes the sting out of things.

I just happen to appreciate that the French are still willing to push the envelope with new concepts like the Avantime and the Vel Satis or the DS, even the Espace and Scenic were way ahead of time. They are interesting but only if you like to think about your cars as much as you like to drive them.
I'd love a DS. BUT I'd love a 504 Cabriolet or Coupe even moreso :) When I get the money and a garage there will be a 70's French car sitting in there.

What you've said is true though. Audi's and Bimmer's are for people who are scared of ever breaking down and who don't care about how nice their car actually is though.

Zico
4th January 2008, 04:39
Top Gear agree with me that they're almost as cool as Aston's ;) Don't believe me? Check the clip earlier in the thread :)

I believe you.. I'll have some of what they are smoking as well.. ;)

the thing is big French cars do the executive saloon thing so well in that they're comfortable and handle well. Not in the sense of a sportscar but in the sense of a car to drive distances in.

yeah, theres no denying that.. its a pity the germans also build good quality cars which hold their residual value better and are easier to sell on.

P.S a 2 year old C6 will have done most of it's depreciating already anyway :)

yeah, fair point.. wouldnt argue with that.

TangoR34
4th January 2008, 23:49
just don't drive american cars. not ford, not saab or volvo and etc, stay away from them.

6th January 2008, 12:19
The words "Citroen" and "style" should never be allowed in the same sentence imo..

You have never seen a DS then.

Coolest car on the planet.

Although admittedly all that good work was undone with the Visa. Now that was one ugly mutherfecka!

Daniel
6th January 2008, 12:56
You have never seen a DS then.

Coolest car on the planet.

Although admittedly all that good work was undone with the Visa. Now that was one ugly mutherfecka!
Then there's the SM too.

I think perhaps the problem for Citroen is that they fly under the radar somewhat. There a bit too different for people who aren't really into their cars more than whether it looks fast or is fast.

Some of my favourite cars like the Fiat 130 Coupe,Peugeot 504 Coupe and Cabriolet, Citroen SM, DS and Alfa Montreal are just too different, too rare or have had their names tainted by other bad cars from those manufacturers. Or people just simply don't "get it" :)

306 Cosworth
7th January 2008, 14:03
If he's an Old Man just get him a Nissan Micra and be done with it, much cheaper to run too!

tsarcasm
16th January 2008, 06:09
VW Passat Diesel is comparable to an A6, cheaper too

Mustang
21st January 2008, 02:00
300C holds it's value better than anything else.

Azumanga Davo
23rd January 2008, 11:57
300C look the goods. And although Daniel regards them as golden goose sh&* of which he would like a few truckloads of, today's Citroens have reliability and have some easy to service bits too, so usability for the weekend mechanic is very high.

And don't listen to him about Peugeots, his 504 was a s%^&box remember... ;)