PDA

View Full Version : Complete and utter tripe.

Hazell B
26th December 2007, 22:09
No, not Christmas TV :mark:

Tripe, that lovely lining to cattle stomach, liberated from the gut wall by huge muscular men who don't mind the smell, then cleaned to brilliant white and cut up for your dining pleasure. Ummm, can't you just taste it's delicate flavour? Feel the vitamins? Savour the experience?

No. It's bloody horrible!

With it being the time of giving presents, I decided to let my dogs choose their own edible gifts from our pet food stock. The sniff test came up with both wanting a packet of air dried tripe (a big seller from the luxury pet treat range) so that's what they got. I knew it was a mistake ......

..... my entire house still stinks of the wretched stuff two days later :mark:

Nobody told me that once opened the tripe sticks would smell so bad. Nobody told me the smell would linger longer than a free lock in at the local. Nobody told me that once tasted it's adictive and the dogs would spend every minute hanging about my stockroom looking like they've been starved.

Does any human being eat tripe?
You must be very, very brave :s

RyanBriscoe#6
26th December 2007, 22:50
No, not Christmas TV :mark:

Tripe, that lovely lining to cattle stomach, liberated from the gut wall by huge muscular men who don't mind the smell, then cleaned to brilliant white and cut up for your dining pleasure. Ummm, can't you just taste it's delicate flavour? Feel the vitamins? Savour the experience?

No. It's bloody horrible!

With it being the time of giving presents, I decided to let my dogs choose their own edible gifts from our pet food stock. The sniff test came up with both wanting a packet of air dried tripe (a big seller from the luxury pet treat range) so that's what they got. I knew it was a mistake ......

..... my entire house still stinks of the wretched stuff two days later :mark:

Nobody told me that once opened the tripe sticks would smell so bad. Nobody told me the smell would linger longer than a free lock in at the local. Nobody told me that once tasted it's adictive and the dogs would spend every minute hanging about my stockroom looking like they've been starved.

Does any human being eat tripe?
You must be very, very brave :s

It is used in some African American and Carribean cooking. Didn't know at first, but had some in soup while in Brazil a few years ago. Chewy, is all I could say about it. I thought the bits where pieces of marrow or some kind of soft bone, but no, they were the lining of a cows stomach.

Brown, Jon Brow
26th December 2007, 23:29
We sell tripe. Thankfully I've never smelt it because it is delivered pre-packed.

J4MIE
26th December 2007, 23:35
I think Pino tried to feed me some once, I had to give up eventually :\

Malbec
26th December 2007, 23:41
tripe isn't that bad, you just need something really spicy or strong to mask the smell/flavour.

airshifter
26th December 2007, 23:52
tripe isn't that bad, you just need something really spicy or strong to mask the smell/flavour.

But then again, you could take any bad tasting food and cover it up with another flavor. Or for that matter leather. :laugh:

Malbec
26th December 2007, 23:57
But then again, you could take any bad tasting food and cover it up with another flavor. Or for that matter leather. :laugh:

Yeah, I realised that a millisecond after posting....

veeten
27th December 2007, 00:36
Yow! :eek: Did someone say Chit'lins?! :D

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/ChitlinsHistory.htm

CCFanatic
27th December 2007, 01:57
Yow! :eek: Did someone say Chit'lins?! :D

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/ChitlinsHistory.htm

Your from the south, aren't you? Only place on earth that they call them that.

leopard
27th December 2007, 03:49
why not, it's delicious but the danger of its hight fat makes it unlikeable.

LeonBrooke
27th December 2007, 05:15
My grandmother used to feed it to my mother, supposedly with onions...

leopard
27th December 2007, 06:11
My grandmother used to feed it to my mother, supposedly with onions...

It's almost certain that your mother would do the same thing to you, why should be ashamed to admit it? :)

tmx
27th December 2007, 06:53
i eat it with asian white noodle soup, no smell, but it needs to be cut up in thin slices. also for dipping with spicy ginger fish sauce (another no no for most other people).

Storm
27th December 2007, 14:56
Pretty sure 'tripas' is a tripe soup they eat in central Spain....and also in Greece

LeonBrooke
28th December 2007, 07:38
It's almost certain that your mother would do the same thing to you, why should be ashamed to admit it? :)

She didn't, I was lucky ;)

leopard
28th December 2007, 10:04
She didn't, I was lucky ;)

Did you ever observe that they have high calorie which is good for the growth of kids?

btw congratulation again for being lucky :)

LeonBrooke
28th December 2007, 10:26
Did you ever observe that they have high calorie which is good for the growth of kids?

btw congratulation again for being lucky :)

Yeah, my mum never made me eat tripe, liver, silverbeet, or smoked fish, so I am lucky.

My diet has been quite unhealthy - during my study period at uni this year my lunch would be a can of Red Bull and a packet of lollies, so it was just sugar and caffeine :s

leopard
28th December 2007, 10:58
Yeah, my mum never made me eat tripe, liver, silverbeet, or smoked fish, so I am lucky.

smoked fish, smoked meat ... hmm If I have more money free, I would spend more for them.

Naburn
28th December 2007, 17:14
I'm sorry Mummy. If Kipper and I had known you would feel this way..........its just sooooooo good! YUM!!

Breeze
28th December 2007, 17:22
We have a lot of Vietnamese restaurants in the area that serve Pho Soup with tripe as one of the meat options. The broth is very fragrant and delicious and the tripe actually works well with it. Fortunately they also offer other meat options to go along with the tripe so you're not overwhelmed by it. My favorite is beef tendon, sliced thin and cooked so long its very soft but still slightly chewy.

Roamy
29th December 2007, 14:58
Hazel
After you complete your dinner of Tripe head on up to Sweden and try a nice plate of lutefisk and a nice little desert up there would be pig's blood with raisins - Oh now nice!! I think the Koreans also ring in with a wonderful dish called Kimshi. That is so bad they eat garlic cloves to freshen their breath!!

Donney
30th December 2007, 15:46
Pretty sure 'tripas' is a tripe soup they eat in central Spain....and also in Greece

Most commonly known as "callos", you can eat them with rice or chickpeas, they are very good although I have to admit the texture is somewhat odd.

http://recetas.mundorecetas.com/modules/Recipes/photos/G45cc854104f74.jpg

Roamy
30th December 2007, 17:52
I thought Callos was scallops

Donney
31st December 2007, 11:04
Scallops are "Vieras" the typical symbol of pilgrims.

http://www.babylon.com/definition/scallop/Spanish

Roamy
1st January 2008, 01:03
oh **** now the translator says callos is tripe - christ I hope I didn't eat gut tacos!!

schmenke
3rd January 2008, 22:35
Tripe... blech! :s

Kimchi is o.k. in small doses :p :

Hazell B
4th January 2008, 20:56
fousto, the pig blood isn't a problem, but I hate, hate, hate raisins :s so shall pass on the dessert trolly thanks!

Breeze mentioned beef tendons. I know a jockey who fell fowl of the UK press so went to Hong Kong to race and it was his absolute favourite meal there. Must be low calorie, or he wouldn't have touched it very often. Sounds yukky to me.

Naburn has officially beaten his tripe habbit. I've got him back on salmon burgers (they're biscuits that look like salmon in a burger bun) and squeaky toys, thank goodness.

LeonBrooke
5th January 2008, 21:56
It seems to me that no one's mentioned brain. My mum has told me of the time someone fed me brain for lunch - apparently I didn't like it much - I was a baby.

Alexamateo
6th January 2008, 00:32
In Mexico, after you've gone out for tripitas and a night of drinking, the menuderias open up after midnight selling that surefire hangover cure, menudo(tripe soup:eek :) . (Not to be confused with Ricky Martin's former band :D )