PDA

View Full Version : Best Rally Video I Ever Saw....

J4MIE
26th December 2007, 19:33
This is a clip of Colin during Rally GB 2001 and is from his latest DVD.

http://www.motorsportmad.com/view/3177/colin-mcrae-rally-legend-dvd--on-board-gb-2001

Absolutely flat out :up:

I have seen the full stage of this a few months ago, does anyone know if this is on the DVD?

N
26th December 2007, 19:41
amazing, truly amazing the way he throws the car around at those speeds,

badterminal
26th December 2007, 20:48
Its all down to trusting your Pace Notes.

I remember watching on-board video of M Wilson in a Sierra Cosworth on the RAC, that was quick but not as fast as Colin's clip.

Daniel
26th December 2007, 20:50

http://www.motorsportmad.com/view/3177/colin-mcrae-rally-legend-dvd--on-board-gb-2001

I have seen the full stage of this a few months ago, does anyone know if this is on the DVD?
That was when he's "calmed down" too :D

That boy had balls the size of watermelons :)

bennizw
26th December 2007, 23:24
Heey, I'm in that video clip! First stage of the rally that was. The boy in blue just before the chicane at 01:12. I can remember that moment well, unbelieveable, so is the video clip! :)

tribefiend
27th December 2007, 00:15
That was awesome! How come nobody drives like that anymore?

tmx
27th December 2007, 05:57
i bought the dvd, "colin mcrae - rally legend" i hope that's the right one.

Magnus
27th December 2007, 09:02

I certainly looks as Colin thinks it´s a whole lot of fun, disregarding ideal lines sometimes...

Which stage is this?

tmx
27th December 2007, 09:24
i disagree, colin always drives like that, and especially he has immense experience at wales rally. remeber he almsot got the skoda to podium there once. this is also when he was going to win the championship also, until crashes out.

i dont think anyone drives like colin.

cut the b.s.
27th December 2007, 09:43
I certainly looks as Colin thinks it´s a whole lot of fun, disregarding ideal lines sometimes...

Which stage is this?

I dont know nor care who you are, but Colins record on the RAC/GB stages in particular is beyond compare with anyone else who has ever driven them in modern era rallying, I dont think some half a head on here is in any position to question his lines, but I will agree with you on your 1st point, Colin did enjoy his rallying and had he enjoyed it less and been more driven by championships etc he would have been more successful but he would never have got to be the legend he was

Magnus
27th December 2007, 09:47
i disagree, colin always drives like that, and especially he has immense experience at wales rally. remeber he almsot got the skoda to podium there once.

Yep; disregarding the ideal line just for the fun of it...
It´s kind of charateristic he later crashed out, it looks like he is on the limit in the clip...

Still wonder what stage it was though

PuddleJumper
27th December 2007, 10:19

It is one of the most spectacular in-car videos. Colin really is driving flat-out. I don't know if it's on the new DVD about Colin, but the full stage was originally seen on the review video of the 2001 Rally GB.

c4
27th December 2007, 10:27
Which stage is this?

St Gwynno

Viking
27th December 2007, 10:41
Still wonder what stage it was though

Colin went off on ss4 after hitting something inside an corner and rolling. ss1 was an sss. I think this is SS2 St. Gwynno , Colin fastest here.

Magnus
27th December 2007, 10:55
When looking at the timesheets though, I must say Bosse is impressive, being only 1,8 seconds after on this stage and winning all the following stages except the SSS which Alistair won.
Also interesting to see that Auriol was third fastest on this stage, thats maybe the most impressive aspect!

MrJan
27th December 2007, 22:48
CHRIST!!!! No wonder he took a trip to the scenery later on. It's a shame that no driver seems to drive like that anymore, Seb may be good but he's just not as much fun as Colin.

SubaruNorway
27th December 2007, 23:46
I don't even drive like that on the PS2 and Petter on Ouninpohja almost seem boring in comparison
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/db797d11-3f90-48ff-b776-99dc013b928e.htm

duff
28th December 2007, 00:30
Absolutely fantastic footage!

That is what the man was all about. Maybe not the best overall driver of all time but no one has ever had the car control of McRae.

An absolute legend who will be sorely missed forever.

Zes
28th December 2007, 13:24
Great drive by Colin, but I still have to admit that I prefer this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adeg-Ec0V9Y (Juha 1998, 1000lakes).

bennizw
28th December 2007, 17:36
Am I the only one who can't open the clip longer?

Brother John
28th December 2007, 17:49
I just saw the Finland clip and also like this one more! ;)

bennizw
28th December 2007, 17:56
Forget it, got the clip up in the end. I would love to see the full stage inboard of that!

J4MIE
30th December 2007, 21:00
The video has been updated with a full-stage one :D

http://www.motorsportmad.com/view/3214/colin-mcrae---complete-stage-on-board-rally-gb-2001

:cool:

Now all I want is a version with the pacenotes, when I saw it I am sure he was taking corners noted as 5s flat out in 6th :bounce:

PuddleJumper
31st December 2007, 01:04
I've got a version with the pacenotes. :p :

J4MIE
31st December 2007, 01:28

Get it up here then buddy :D

Is it on the DVD? :\

Roy
31st December 2007, 09:30

Com'on let show us these video. This is awesome! What a mad guy. ;) (shame he is died) This is why rally is so wonderful!

cut the b.s.
31st December 2007, 10:26
The video has been updated with a full-stage one :D

http://www.motorsportmad.com/view/3214/colin-mcrae---complete-stage-on-board-rally-gb-2001

:cool:

:

I believe this is the last time Colin set a fastest time on rally GB, Alastair was fastest on SS13 and therefore the most recent of the brothers to have set a fastest time there, a bit of trivia for the pub quizes maybe!!

Magnus
31st December 2007, 12:24
Yep, but that was a Mickey Mous(s)e so it hardly counts. the rest went to Bosse :D

pino
31st December 2007, 13:43
i dont think anyone drives like colin.

None does...none never will !

xavier
31st December 2007, 14:14
Cool video, does anyone figured if we can download it from that site? I am much rather be sure I'll have it on disk, that's a gem!

Tomi
31st December 2007, 14:18
Colin did enjoy his rallying and had he enjoyed it less and been more driven by championships etc he would have been more successful but he would never have got to be the legend he was

What a load of crap, he did win just the amount of championship he was capable to win, its good to remember there was good maybe much better guys there too driving.

Brother John
31st December 2007, 14:31
What a load of crap, he did win just the amount of championship he was capable to win, its good to remember there was good maybe much better guys there too driving.

It was not all about win rallys. they had FUN and love to drive! Now they keep the result from friday and just cruis on sunday. :( ;)

Tomi
31st December 2007, 15:00
It was not all about win rallys. they had FUN and love to drive! Now they keep the result from friday and just cruis on sunday. :( ;)

The basic idea of rally is still the same like it has always been, to win rallies and championships.

Daniel
31st December 2007, 15:11
I think this cuts both ways though. Toivonen is considered a driving god by some but how many rallies and championships did he win?

I do agree that what ctbs said is bs. It's because Colin was so motivated by championships that he only ever got one.

Daniel
31st December 2007, 15:12
The basic idea of rally is still the same like it has always been, to win rallies and championships.
Perhaps we can have a "fun" championship for the drivers who are not good enough to ever win a rally or a championship. It's only fair you know. We can exclude Loeb for being French ;)

Tomi
31st December 2007, 15:24
I think this cuts both ways though. Toivonen is considered a driving god by some but how many rallies and championships did he win?

I do agree that what ctbs said is bs. It's because Colin was so motivated by championships that he only ever got one.

yes true, Toivonens early death plays a role in this, resultvise he was far from the topguys from that era.

Tomi
31st December 2007, 15:28
Perhaps we can have a "fun" championship for the drivers who are not good enough to ever win a rally or a championship. It's only fair you know. We can exclude Loeb for being French ;)

yes i support that strongly, it would bring many new supporters to the rallyracing sport ;)

N.O.T
31st December 2007, 15:30
30 is not that early......rallywise

cut the b.s.
31st December 2007, 17:11

I'd never expect you to agree with me Daniel, the fact is clear for those of us who were there and watching, McRae set out to win events, if he had a sniff of a win he went for it, championship winners know that sometimes you are better too settle for points. A recent example of this for those whose memories dont go back so far, or those who are losing theirs, is Dani Sordos JWRC win over Kris Meeke.

Daniel
31st December 2007, 17:20
yes true, Toivonens early death plays a role in this, resultvise he was far from the topguys from that era.
Yup. I think you can only extrapolate so much. If god forbid Loeb was to have an accident which ended his career now you could realistically say that given a good car he could have had at least a few titles more. But if the same happened in 2002 or so then you really couldn't have said that with any degree of certainty. Death always makes people greater and to be honest I don't think Colin needs anymore help to be greater. He was exciting to watch because he was fast and he was a champion. You can't expect more from a person who is just flesh and bone.

Tomi
31st December 2007, 17:41
Yup. I think you can only extrapolate so much. If god forbid Loeb was to have an accident which ended his career now you could realistically say that given a good car he could have had at least a few titles more.

Yes true, everyone knew by then Toivonens potential, he had won rallies with crap cars, then suddeny dead in competition.
When drivers dies in accidents in motorsport they usually comes greater than they actually are especially if the accident is in the peak of the carreer, (Senna is an other good sample of that) I dont know if civil accidents after carreer makes drivers in someones mind greater in the sport, maybe.

Josti
2nd January 2008, 10:36

Yes, it's a pretty silly statement. But in Toivonen's case, it had a great impact on Rallying afterwards. On the other hand, human emotions are sometimes above clear thinking so this doesn't surprise me either. But whatever you say, he was quite an exceptional driver just like Colin was. They had a status as aggressive yet fast drivers, it's probably what attracts most people.

spyros
2nd January 2008, 13:27
pentti wrote in another thread about active diffs

Members here should remember my utmost hate for active diffs. Two reasons. Delay and too abrutvive for traction. Good sensitive drivers like Colin and Tommi were destroyed with these systems.They reacted before active diffs started to confuse. It's long story why active diffs came but basically it is just because mechanics forgot how to use the file!!

we all remember what hapen to tommi when left mitsu and went to subaru,its the same like colin with xsara.
Anyway for me (and for alot ppl)colin was 1 of the best ever,and the most important wrc lacks personalitys like colin.

Magnus
2nd January 2008, 13:51
Loeb was extremely fast with active diffs. Bosse was extremely fast with active diffs. Just as they are without them.
There is also age, motivation and bad luck. When looking at Mäkinen last year more in detail it actually was not that bad at all, but he was haunted by mech problems throughout the season.
A good driver is a good driver regardless of his machinery. he adopts to different surfaces and cars very fast. That is why I, for example, put Ekström very high on the list of good drivers.

autohabit
2nd January 2008, 22:59
This one is still my favourite rally video.

All About Rallying (http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/all+about+rallying/video/x12j02_all-about-rallying_auto)

duff
4th January 2008, 00:33
I just bought the video and thought it was fantastic! Its great to hear Colin talking about all the parts of his career, and the footage from the early days is exceptional. it was incredibly interesting to see the way he drove club level cars - even as an 18 year old. It shows that he was something special right from the start.
It's also very sad as the interwiews and filming of his life at home were done just a couple of weeks before his death.

A must buy for everyone!

R.I.P. Colin.